lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Why no PC version
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 12-10-2008, 11:12 PM   #1
tgvern
Lurker

Why no PC version

I have been a good supporter of LucasArts over the years...
Jedi Knight I & II
Republic Commando
Empire at War (both)
Lego Star Wars I & II

I am just wondering why LA is denying the PC gamer a chance to play this game? I am certainly not running out to buy a PS3 or Wii just to play it, and I am certain by PC can handle it. It just doesn't make sense to me.
tgvern is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-10-2008, 11:46 PM   #2
Jeff
Rating: Awesome

Current Game: SWTOR
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
Hopefully this post will answer your questions: http://www.forceunleashed.net/news/m...-pc-ramblings/

Follow me on Twitter
Follow StarWarsMMO.net on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
Jeff is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-16-2008, 10:24 AM   #3
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Vector Thrust
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Unfortunately, that isn't the real answer.

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-16-2008, 05:35 PM   #4
RoxStar

Current Game: Everything Zelda
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran LFN Staff Member 
Yeah, they've obviously just copped on on a PC version :/
RoxStar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-17-2008, 12:12 AM   #5
Rabish Bini
Sydney Roosters Genius

Current Game: KotOR III
That answer is cr*p. Stretching the power of the 360 and
PS3? Bull s***.

Yes
Rabish Bini is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-17-2008, 04:45 PM   #6
LordOfTheFish

Current Game: Tomb Raider
Forum Veteran 
No KotOR?

LordOfTheFish is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-04-2009, 12:21 AM   #7
shukkoku
Rookie

Current Game: Uncharted 2
i don't think they want to put in the effort to port it. And it would lag really badly on anything that couldn't run NASA :S
shukkoku is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-04-2009, 10:37 AM   #8
Ztalker
Saving the world casually

Forum Veteran 
Question:

Who of you would buy it?
I make enough money, I would. I think 99% of the forumites here would download it.
I don't like the fact I can't play it, but support LA in their decision.

Ztalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-05-2009, 01:52 PM   #9
Astor
It's Thornhill!

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
It might also be worth reminding the 'we want PC' crowd that there was never any promise that it would be released for PC, and they were never obligated to in the first place.

But, they might release it on PC eventually, in much the same manner as they did KOTOR, and others.

Astor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-05-2009, 03:27 PM   #10
Jeff

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
KotOR was always planned to be released on PC though, and was released fairly shortly after the console version. LucasArts has been pretty insistent that the game is not coming to PC and I don't see why they would if they actually had plans to release it on PC.

Follow me on Twitter
Old 02-06-2009, 12:52 PM   #11
Darth Eclipse

Current Game: Crysis 2,Dead Space2
I think that the guy who said that the PC couldn't handle it knew what he was talking about much better than you people. Seriously...
Darth Eclipse is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-06-2009, 02:50 PM   #12
TKA-001
I sneer at thee.

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Eclipse View Post
I think that the guy who said that the PC couldn't handle it knew what he was talking about much better than you people. Seriously...
People ignore details like that when faced with an inconvenient truth. That's my view, anyway.

"There is something going on in time and space, and beyond time and space, which, whether we like it or not, spells duty." -Winston Churchill

"For of all sad words of tongue or pen, The saddest are these: 'It might have been!'" -John Whittier

"Apathy is death." -Kreia
TKA-001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-04-2009, 11:46 PM   #13
DarthVandar205

Obviously LA has some cushy deal with all the console companies and they only make a PC version of a game when they "have to" aid if they do its usually garbage but they figure that way they can at least say they came out with one. Youd think people who are part of such a big franchise would be held to higher standard and come out with better games and more PC games.
DarthVandar205 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-28-2009, 09:08 PM   #14
tgvern
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Eclipse View Post
This is obviously the ramblings of someone with a weak PC.

My PC (and many others I am certain) far exceed the power of PS3, Xbox 360, and of course Wii.
I think that LA has decided that NOT having a PC version means that it can't be pirated. It is a sad truth, but many PC only developers have either dual-developed for consoles, or switched over entirely.
I have tons of games that I have collected over the years, and many of them never received the screen time they were worthy of.
I'll have stuff to play, but I'd like to be able to play new stuff as it becomes available.
It am afraid to be right about this. If the superior platform is no longer viable (read: profitable) enough because of the problems of copying and pirating, then does the PC (as a gaming platform) have much life left?
tgvern is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-28-2009, 10:50 PM   #15
WraithPrince
Rookie

Current Game: UT2004, Kotor:TSL
Yes but not much, RTS's only ork well on PC's the Sims is another PC game that would never work on a console, but most action games and shooters will more then likely only be on consoles.

WraithPrince is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-28-2009, 11:12 PM   #16
DarthVandar205

If people want more pc games to be made then the game developers are either going to have to come up with some fool proof way to prevent games being pirated on the PC or theyre just going to have to accept the uncomfortable truth that theres going to be some amount of piracy no matter what they do and just live with it. You dont see people who make music cds or dvds stopping what they do just because people try to pirate their stuff. Why should they inconvience the pc game players just because they get their stuff pirated? Its not like theyre the only ones who have that problem. Its bad enough anyone who wants to play a PC game practically has to have an internet connection and subscribe to some online service just to play just so that these games dont get pirated. Funny thing is they end up getting pirated anyways and all that gets accomplished is the game developers alienate their customers who areint doing a solitary thing against them. Instead of trying to stop people from pirating the games why not try to stop people from doing it in the first place? Solve the problem instead of the symptoms.
DarthVandar205 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-29-2009, 03:46 AM   #17
Kurgan
Headhunter

LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
Lamest excuse I've heard... so they couldn't "scale down" the game to play on a high end PC, like they could to make it run on the DS, Wii and PS2?

Sounds pretty fishy.

Oh well, the Multiplayer looked pretty threadbare anyway, from the videos I've seen, even if the graphics are better than what we saw in 2003.

Download JK2 maps for JA Server|BOOT CAMP!|Strategic Academy|
(JA Server: 108.178.55.189:29070)

"The Concussion Rifle is the weapon of a Jedi Knight Player, an elegant weapon, from a more civilized community." - Kyle Katarn
Kurgan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-29-2009, 05:43 PM   #18
HK-42
HK47+Marvin=

Current Game: AssassinsCreed,kotor
Hot Topic Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgvern View Post
This is obviously the ramblings of someone with a weak PC.

My PC (and many others I am certain) far exceed the power of PS3, Xbox 360, and of course Wii.
I think that LA has decided that NOT having a PC version means that it can't be pirated. It is a sad truth, but many PC only developers have either dual-developed for consoles, or switched over entirely.
I have tons of games that I have collected over the years, and many of them never received the screen time they were worthy of.
I'll have stuff to play, but I'd like to be able to play new stuff as it becomes available.
It am afraid to be right about this. If the superior platform is no longer viable (read: profitable) enough because of the problems of copying and pirating, then does the PC (as a gaming platform) have much life left?
Xbox games can be pirated. Including force unleashed.

HK-42 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-29-2009, 07:22 PM   #19
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK-42 View Post
Xbox games can be pirated. Including force unleashed.
Console Piracy is not nearly as widespread as PC game piracy. I don't like the lack of PC support any more than anyone else, but I can understand not wanting to for piracy reasons, which factors in to the reason that a PC version just isn't as profitable as console versions.

Follow me on Twitter
Old 05-30-2009, 06:28 AM   #20
Darth Brillus
Lurker

Current Game: KOTOR, TLS, SWTFU.
It was alittle sad that they didn't make any pc version... But someone is making the Jedi Knight version of this game Think the grafics would be terrible, or it only would be a few computers able to run the game if they made it for PC.. Got XBOX360, so Im OK with it ;D

Darth Brillus (Theme music Beethoven Dumdurruduru dumdurruduru dumduruduru dumdurrurru, if you know what I mean...)
Darth Brillus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Force Unleashed > General > The Secret Apprentice's Logs > Why no PC version