lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: I confirm that the "8 hours and repetitive gameplay" is pure lie.
Thread Tools Display Modes
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 09-21-2008, 07:30 PM   #41
Darth Eclipse
Junior Member
 
Darth Eclipse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 332
Current Game: Crysis 2,Dead Space2
Unhappy

It's too bad that game is only about 8 hours. I took about 20 minutes over that though.
Darth Eclipse is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-22-2008, 04:49 AM   #42
Aku
Rookie
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 62
Ctrl Alt Del: The issue here is that you're trying to look at TFU as a regular hack and slash action game.
TFU isn't God of War. The only real similarites lie with the fact that you can hit a button to attack people, there are Quick Time Events and the inclusion of platforming elements.
A combo is a combination of multiple actions. If lifting someone up, zapping them and then throwing them at someone else isn't a combination of multiple actions (that, btw, keeps the enemy unable or almost unable to block or move), then what is it?
If you were to read the stuff the game says, you'd see that all these things like charging a lifted enemy with lightning, pushing at the end of a sword combo or such are called Force Combos in this game.
They are called this because the whole idea of the game is to use the force.
It's given that there should be a limited amount of melee-attacks because the game isn't about those.
The idea is to use the environment and force powers together creatively. The melee combat is merely there for storyline and practical reasons.

What you are saying about the game because of the melee system is like focusing on the spells in God of War and saying they lack variation =)
Aku is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-22-2008, 01:13 PM   #43
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User
 
Ctrl Alt Del's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Posts: 3,814
Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
Oh, I have stopped comparing it to TFU ages ago. You really do have a point when you say they're not the same, but as that never was left too much clear before the game release we kinda of get the impression they were supposed to look alike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aku View Post
A combo is a combination of multiple actions. If lifting someone up, zapping them and then throwing them at someone else isn't a combination of multiple actions (that, btw, keeps the enemy unable or almost unable to block or move), then what is it?
Another point for you, but although this (and similar actions) are combos; pressing X,X,X then Y or B and then throwing something against the enemy isn't for the reasons aforementioned.


Quote:
They are called this because the whole idea of the game is to use the force.
It's given that there should be a limited amount of melee-attacks because the game isn't about those.
But that's something I'll probably never swallow. So the proposal of this game is to unleash the force. Fine, but that don't justify why the combat may be so... gross, really. It's really a lame excuse.


Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-22-2008, 05:43 PM   #44
Aku
Rookie
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctrl Alt Del View Post
Another point for you, but although this (and similar actions) are combos; pressing X,X,X then Y or B and then throwing something against the enemy isn't for the reasons aforementioned.
Yes, merely throwing someone at something isn't really a combo. Pushing two people into each others and into an explosive barrel with one push would in a sense be a combo as you combine pushing with the explosives for better results.
It's just not the usual kind of combo.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctrl Alt Del View Post
But that's something I'll probably never swallow. So the proposal of this game is to unleash the force. Fine, but that don't justify why the combat may be so... gross, really. It's really a lame excuse.
But the fact that you can't accept this shows that you're still thinking of this as a god of war type of action game instead of the Psi-ops without guns on steroids that it as best can be compared to. Either that or you want it to be a god of war style game instead. Unfortunately, that would greatly alter what the game is all about so then you could just as well be asking for a new Star Wars game ^^
Tried Devil May Cry 4? That game is all about utilizing the few attacks you have in varied manners. They make it more clear to the player when they're doing it good than TFU does though.
Aku is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-23-2008, 06:50 PM   #45
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User
 
Ctrl Alt Del's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Posts: 3,814
Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aku View Post
But the fact that you can't accept this shows that you're still thinking of this as a god of war type of action game instead of the Psi-ops without guns on steroids that it as best can be compared to. Either that or you want it to be a god of war style game instead. Unfortunately, that would greatly alter what the game is all about so then you could just as well be asking for a new Star Wars game ^^
You mentioned Devil May Cry on your answer, and that's simply another game with a respectable (amazing, to be honest) melee combat. While the sole purpose of that game isn't just hack'n slashing everything that moves with your wepons, it does a more than satisfying job at it.

By the way:
DMC > GoW

Quote:
Tried Devil May Cry 4? That game is all about utilizing the few attacks you have in varied manners. They make it more clear to the player when they're doing it good than TFU does though.
Yeah, and that's what I'm talking about. All the nuances present on the system. For example, attacking normally as you would do but delaying one of the blows just a bit will transform your combo into something else entirely (like, square, square - delay - square. Voilá, you got yourself another action).

That's the kind of thing I felt that was missing on TFU. Critically.


Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-23-2008, 09:31 PM   #46
Shem
Master of the Force
 
Shem's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 2,904
Current Game: Variations of games
10 year veteran! Veteran Modder Notable contributor Hot Topic Starter 
Just FYI, I can beat the Xbox360, and the Wii version of the games in less than 8 hours.


Interested in hosting a your KOTOR or TSL mod at FileFront? Send your mod HERE and we'll validate it as soon as we can! FileFront is a good way to get publicity for your mod as we get 1000's of visitors everyday. Is my LucasForum PM box full again? If you really need to reach me, PM me at YouTube under the username: Shem L -- Watch my KOTOR videos! Download my mods from FileFront!

Shem is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-26-2008, 12:05 AM   #47
artboy12
Rookie
 
artboy12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthZayne View Post
I found stupid when the reviewers screw game score because they aren't smart enough to reconize the gameplay of a game from trailers and reading.

they all wer waiting for another Jedi knights , first of all does it ***** have Jedi knight in the tittle ?

When I was waiting for lego star wars I wasn't expecting a KOTOR , I mean wtf...

the problem is , the reviewers all are casual gamers , they play the game on the easies difficulty rush through the game , because they dont have weeks to make a review but its also a problem .. I do not care much about reviewers anymore since I view the GTA4 and TFU review , nuff said.
I TOTALLY AGREE! The reviewers are totally biased on the wii and ps2 versions too! Basically to them if the graphics suck, they down the score by about a mile. I thought the wii version was at LEAST and 8.5, but GameSpot gave it a six and IGN a 7.8. And they usually only speed through a game because if the first level or two don't muse them they just say "screw it" and speed-game...I am so on your side.


JOIN THE DARK SIDE!...We have cookies!
artboy12 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-26-2008, 08:04 PM   #48
PoiuyWired
Unregistered User
 
PoiuyWired's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,503
Actually trying to do full collection in the Wii/PSP version takes quite a while, plus you get the unleashed mode which can be hours of play on its own... Order66 mode is hard towards the end.


...
PoiuyWired is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-27-2008, 04:03 AM   #49
Aku
Rookie
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctrl Alt Del View Post
Yeah, and that's what I'm talking about. All the nuances present on the system. For example, attacking normally as you would do but delaying one of the blows just a bit will transform your combo into something else entirely (like, square, square - delay - square. Voilá, you got yourself another action).

That's the kind of thing I felt that was missing on TFU. Critically.
TFU is like DMC in the sense that they both reply on few combos being utilized in wild combinations. You're saying TFU is missing things it actually has O.o
In fact, TFU has more combos at hand than Nero had in DMC 4. The execution of them is way more straight forward, but there ARE more of them in there. Also, you can unlock a separate three-hit combo that follows up the first attack by said delay, which can be put in anywhere. The combo still behaves like the first one in that it is executed with the same buttons and has as many attacks in it, but it's definitely there O.o
Aku is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-27-2008, 07:54 PM   #50
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User
 
Ctrl Alt Del's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Posts: 3,814
Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aku View Post
In fact, TFU has more combos at hand than Nero had in DMC 4. The execution of them is way more straight forward, but there ARE more of them in there. Also, you can unlock a separate three-hit combo that follows up the first attack by said delay, which can be put in anywhere. The combo still behaves like the first one in that it is executed with the same buttons and has as many attacks in it, but it's definitely there O.o
Is that good? I think it makes the gameplay less deep.


Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-23-2008, 04:17 AM   #51
encinodude
Rookie
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 55
I played TFU after dinner, finished it in time for breakfast. I enjoyed it, but largely because of the cinematics and not the gameplay.
encinodude is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-23-2008, 08:45 PM   #52
Rev7
I'm a Mage
 
Rev7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,208
Current Game: CoD 5 WaW; Skate 2
Helpful! 
On my first playthrough I played it on Sith Warrior. Not that hard. I started the game again w/ all powers ext carried over on Sith Lord difficulty and was amazed at how hard it was. I beat the first level pretty quickly, but the second level really got to me. I changed the difficulty back to Sith Warrior, and finished the game.

I haven't had the courage to try to play it on Sith Lord difficulty. Yet. I will defeat it and and then boast about it. lol

Rev7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-28-2008, 06:24 PM   #53
Katarn84
Rookie
 
Katarn84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 50
Well, I've got it for 360 and just played on apprentice (and a bugged play with the normal text glich by the way) and actually it's nearly 12 hours of gameplay, but i did it just to go easy and follow the plot without my nerves suiciding. Now I'm going through it time over time to get the kill achievements and I'm still on it since october 6 playing when I can but I should be over the 30 hours of actual gameplay. Then I'll start a new game as sith warrior to get the holocrons, then another at sith lord and then sith master so I'll get used to more advanced techniques than slash-slash-push, push-push-fry, fry-fry-throw around. This way I should go on playing at least till June...


Stay Away from the darker side, and if you start to go astray, let the Force be your guide.

http://ironthrone.games.cz/images/Kyle.jpg
Changed pic to link. Please find a sig pic that is in line with our sig rules, 500X120 and 80kb max, Forum Rules. ~ SWK Staff
Katarn84 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Force Unleashed > General > The Secret Apprentice's Logs > I confirm that the "8 hours and repetitive gameplay" is pure lie.

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:10 AM.

LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.