lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar
View Poll Results: Who would win?
General Grievous 30 40.54%
HK-47 35 47.30%
R2-D2 9 12.16%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: HK-47 versus General Grievous
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 10-09-2008, 03:41 PM   #41
TKA-001
I sneer at thee.

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Mocking query
HK-47 can't use adjectives when describing his sentences. Why can no one remember that except me?

"There is something going on in time and space, and beyond time and space, which, whether we like it or not, spells duty." -Winston Churchill

"For of all sad words of tongue or pen, The saddest are these: 'It might have been!'" -John Whittier

"Apathy is death." -Kreia
TKA-001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-09-2008, 06:14 PM   #42
Thanatos9t

Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKA-001 View Post
HK-47 can't use adjectives when describing his sentences. Why can no one remember that except me?
It would probably be something like this:
"Mockery: Are you all right, general? You seem to have suffered a series of flawlessly timed explosions."

As he uses that method when making fun of Carth and Revan in TSL.

"Savior, conqueror, hero, villain. You are all things, Revan… and yet you are nothing. In the end, you belong to neither the light nor the darkness. You will forever stand alone."
Thanatos9t is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-09-2008, 08:25 PM   #43
Blix
Veteran

Current Game: Morrowind & Dark Arisen
Grievous hands down; he would annihilate HK before he had the chance to utter one his infamous one-liners.

Blix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-09-2008, 09:40 PM   #44
Darth Hord
Rookie

The general wins this hands down. His cybernetic brain allows him to have a vast knowledge of light combat forms/maneuvers. He can adapt and copy an opponent's strategy/form mid fight as he replicates Mace Windu's Vapaad form with a near perfect copy(if you know about vapaad then you know why Grievous can't copy it perfectly. His armor can also defend against glancing blows from a lightsaber and he was able to spin the sabers up to 20 blades a second. He is also incredibly fast as he was seen in the CW cartoon dodging numerous missiles fired only at from a gunship and fire from 3 arc troopers.
Darth Hord is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-10-2008, 06:28 AM   #45
The Betrayer
Forumite

Current Game: The Godfather II
Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Hord View Post
he was able to spin the sabers up to 20 blades a second
How do you measure spinning by 'blades'?

OMNIA MUTANTUR NIHIL INTERIT.
The Betrayer is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-10-2008, 06:45 AM   #46
Darth Hord
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Betrayal View Post
How do you measure spinning by 'blades'?
I got it from the ROTS novel what I meant to say is that his blades can strike at twenty strikes per second.

After all, he had often walked unscathed through hornet-swarms of blasterfire, defended only by the Force's direction of his blade; countering twelve blows per second was only difficult, not impossible. His blade wove an intricate web of angles and curves, never truly fast but always just fast enough, each motion of his lightsaber subtly interfering with three or four or eight of the general's strikes, the rest sizzling past him, his precise, minimal shifts of weight and stance slipping them by centimeters.

Grievous, snarling fury, ramped up the intensity and velocity of his attacks-sixteen per second, eighteen-until finally, at twenty strikes per second, he overloaded Obi-Wan's defense. So Obi-Wan used his defense to attack.
Old 10-10-2008, 08:01 AM   #47
Lance Monance
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Hord View Post
he overloaded Obi-Wan's defense. So Obi-Wan used his defense to attack.
Didn't seem like that in the movie, but that may just be me.

From my point of view, Grivous hacked away at Obi who managed to cut 2 of Grievous' sabers while defending himself. Simply because he is better at lightsaber combat.
Lance Monance is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-10-2008, 09:35 AM   #48
mattig89ch

Quote:
He can so, or at least the HK-50 models can. Strait from K2:
"Mocking query: Corta, corta are you dead yet?"
"Smug statement: I belive I forgot to mention that I reversed the turbolift codes, in case you managed to get this far."
mattig89ch is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-10-2008, 10:10 AM   #49
Endorenna
Gamer Wanna-be

Current Game: inFamous/Uncharted 2
Yea, it definitely didn't look like that in the movie. That was not twenty strikes a second. More like...two?

Chapter 12 of A Soul Adrift is out.

Short stories:
T'katlu: On the planet Felucia, a young apprentice of the Dark Side thinks back to the beginning of her training as she lies in wait for her prey...

All the Time: After four years in the Unknown Regions, the Exile returns to the known galaxy to visit an old enemy.

Broken: A master of the Dark Side finds himself about to lose the one thing he cares about--and he will do anything to stop her from endangering herself.
Endorenna is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-10-2008, 04:04 PM   #50
Darth Hord
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endorenna View Post
Yea, it definitely didn't look like that in the movie. That was not twenty strikes a second. More like...two?
Of course it did, we can't perceive twenty strikes per second hell, in the novels the characters are described as moving as blurs at times but we can't see that with human eyes.
Old 10-10-2008, 04:47 PM   #51
Corinthian
Banned

But, naturally, in the movie, he sucked.
Corinthian is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-22-2008, 06:02 AM   #52
Non-false Jedi
Rookie

Its so difficult question to answer becuase the movie's vision for Grevious is worlds apart from his EU portrayal. In the Clone Wars cartoon (at least) he was devastating and clsoe to unstopable, but its more than a case of just exagerated stylizing that everyone had in the cartoon, he was intended to be a monsterous force that was relentless and powerful. In the movie he was just an imposing but cowardly cybernetic general.
Non-false Jedi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-22-2008, 08:14 AM   #53
JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan
ANTA BAKAAA?!

i say grevious.

i havnt read teh posts... yet. coz its 1:10 am and im slepy. hense mye misssplings. *falls asleep*

*snaps awake*

i say grevious.

i havnt red he posts... yet. coz its 1:10am and imm slepyy. hense mi msplings.
*falls alseep*....

mfw I read the Revan novel

it is not a cry of joy.
JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-07-2008, 12:09 PM   #54
teodesetkata
Rookie

C-3PO owns them both!

teodesetkata is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-07-2008, 02:51 PM   #55
mattig89ch

Quote:
Originally Posted by teodesetkata View Post
C-3PO owns them both!
how do you propose that would happen? Do you think that 3P0 would just anoy both of them to death?

I still think that HK-47 would own Grevious. Grevious just doesn't seem like the tactition that HK-47 is. Not too mention that revan would have given his personal droid some of his own tactics and strategies.
Old 11-07-2008, 11:58 PM   #56
JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan
ANTA BAKAAA?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattig89ch View Post
how do you propose that would happen? Do you think that 3P0 would just anoy both of them to death?

I still think that HK-47 would own Grevious. Grevious just doesn't seem like the tactition that HK-47 is. Not too mention that revan would have given his personal droid some of his own tactics and strategies.
HK is the man, but
have you seen grievous' abilities? like in the clone wars animated series?
i like hk way better, but going by what i know, grievous wins.

it is not a cry of joy.
Old 11-08-2008, 07:39 AM   #57
teodesetkata
Rookie

Yeah C-3PO's best weapon is his annoyance.

teodesetkata is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-08-2008, 08:56 AM   #58
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
I agree with TKA. Face to face, Grievous would probably win. I don't doubt HK's cunning, but I'm not sure about his speed and dextery. Clearly, Grievous has more human-like movements, therefore being more agile.

Knowing HK modus operandi though, he'd probably disguise as one of GG doids aides and wait for the best moment to strike at Grievous. Then he would win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinthian View Post
Rakata, he's DONE that. Actually, according to him, he's shot people through the knees from 120 kilometers away. With an Aratech Sniper Rifle. With a trilights cope.
I was under impression he used that as a metaphor to describe his point of view on 'love'. He never says he done that, actually.

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-08-2008, 01:31 PM   #59
Darth InSidious
A handful of dust.

Current Game: KotOR II
HK. Grievous couldn't even kill pansy Jedi from the film era.

Works-In-Progress
~
Mods Released
~
Quid existis in desertum videre?
Darth InSidious is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-08-2008, 11:28 PM   #60
JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan
ANTA BAKAAA?!

Quote:
HK. Grievous couldn't even kill pansy Jedi from the film era.
actually he did... clicky here

or here for the whole thing

it is not a cry of joy.
Old 11-09-2008, 12:09 AM   #61
Web Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan View Post
Which is what cheeses me off about the new Clone Wars series. Grievous has the strategy of a swamp rat and seems about as skilled a fighter as Luke in his frst lightsaber training session.

"So if you go to Washington, it's buildings clean and nice. Bring a pack of matches...and we'll burn the White House twice!"

"Nobody's talking about extermination. No one ever does. They just do it." - Magneto

"Don't solicit for your sister, that's not nice, unless you get a good percentage of her price."
Web Rider is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-09-2008, 12:32 AM   #62
GwannaSauna
Rookie

General Grievous stabs HK-47 but HK self-destructs*, destroying them both

*Anyone who wants to tell me "but how?" just remember the HK-50 droid that tried to kill you on the Peragus Mining Facility...

You've been... THUNDERSTRUCK!
GwannaSauna is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-09-2008, 02:24 AM   #63
JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan
ANTA BAKAAA?!

Quote:
Which is what cheeses me off about the new Clone Wars series. Grievous has the strategy of a swamp rat and seems about as skilled a fighter as Luke in his frst lightsaber training session.
yeah, but its canon. i suppose its possible because of greivous' literally electric fast reflexes. and all that droid enhancementness.

it is not a cry of joy.
Old 11-09-2008, 03:52 AM   #64
Ultimate Vader
Rookie

Ok. HK is an assassin droid, not a battle droid. Do you realize that every theory that he gives to us are assassin methods? Assassins are weak in open combat. GG will rush in and stab HK's processor. End of the story. Case closed. No need for thermal detonators. GG is able to fight 5 Jedi at once. Can HK do that? No. HK can give a Jedi a trouble using a blaster. Can GG do that? Yes, he does that against Kenobi. GG can survive a crush from Mace Windu. Can HK do that? No. HK can kill Jedi with gas bomb. Can GG do that? GG can jump high and stab the Jedi on the head. GG can mock Jedi and make them cowards. Can HK do that? No. GG suceed in kidnapping Palpatine. Can HK do that ?No way.GG can dodge many things, including missiles. Can HK do that? Hell no. GG outclasses HK in every way.

For you to know, I'm not a GG fanboy. And game mechanics are non-canon. Check forums such as killermovies to find out about things like this.

I think we need a forum for versus fight.

Rulk Badass 2
Most fun I've ever had with my clothes on!

Last edited by Ultimate Vader; 11-09-2008 at 04:12 AM.
Ultimate Vader is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-09-2008, 04:55 AM   #65
GwannaSauna
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Vader View Post
And game mechanics are non-canon
Yeah, but how can you say that when all of HK's appearances are in games?

You've been... THUNDERSTRUCK!
GwannaSauna is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-09-2008, 05:12 AM   #66
Ultimate Vader
Rookie

I mean game mechanics like how many Jedi Revan killed.

Rulk Badass 2
Old 11-09-2008, 05:29 AM   #67
The Betrayer
Forumite

Current Game: The Godfather II
Helpful! 
Quote:
GG can mock Jedi and make them cowards. Can HK do that? No. GG suceed in kidnapping Palpatine. Can HK do that ?No
WRONG! HK-47 like Atton and Revan's other trained assassins are very good at intimidation.

OMNIA MUTANTUR NIHIL INTERIT.
The Betrayer is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-09-2008, 05:42 AM   #68
Ultimate Vader
Rookie

Proof?

Rulk Badass 2
Old 11-09-2008, 09:29 PM   #69
mattig89ch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Web Rider View Post
I've been noticing that too. All he's using is brute force, and the only thing smart about him is that he can notice when he's lost and can escape.

HK-47 would never let it come face to face. I think he'd booby trap Grievous' fighter, then wait and escape another way.

Quote:
Proof?
Have you played K1? "Statement: Gaurds give up, meat bag! Assassin droids hunt down your entire family tree!"
Old 11-09-2008, 10:01 PM   #70
TKA-001
I sneer at thee.

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GwannaSauna View Post
*Anyone who wants to tell me "but how?" just remember the HK-50 droid that tried to kill you on the Peragus Mining Facility...
That was an HK-50, not an HK-47.

Quote:
Grievous has the strategy of a swamp rat
Can anyone cite an example or two of Grievous' supposedly brilliant strategic/tactical capabilities? Because as far as I know, there are no specific examples.

"There is something going on in time and space, and beyond time and space, which, whether we like it or not, spells duty." -Winston Churchill

"For of all sad words of tongue or pen, The saddest are these: 'It might have been!'" -John Whittier

Old 11-10-2008, 03:07 AM   #71
Web Rider

Quote:
Can anyone cite an example or two of Grievous' supposedly brilliant strategic/tactical capabilities? Because as far as I know, there are no specific examples.
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Grievous

read, learn. Yeah okay details are lacking because unlike real life you can't find every last detail of a battle. Still, Grievous is shown to be the driving force behind the Separatists victories, at the rate Grievous loses battles in the new series, the Clone Wars would be over in a few weeks.

"So if you go to Washington, it's buildings clean and nice. Bring a pack of matches...and we'll burn the White House twice!"

"Nobody's talking about extermination. No one ever does. They just do it." - Magneto

"Don't solicit for your sister, that's not nice, unless you get a good percentage of her price."
Old 11-10-2008, 04:25 PM   #72
TKA-001
I sneer at thee.

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Grievous

read, learn. Yeah okay details are lacking because unlike real life you can't find every last detail of a battle. Still, Grievous is shown to be the driving force behind the Separatists victories
I'm not asking for every last detail of a battle; I'm instead asking for at least one detail of any battle. And no, he is not shown to be their driving force; he is said to be the driving force, with no actual details given, and with no details, no effective evidence. People make the same assumptions about Revan, I've noticed.

Old 11-10-2008, 05:51 PM   #73
Web Rider

Quote:
I'm not asking for every last detail of a battle; I'm instead asking for at least one detail of any battle. And no, he is not shown to be their driving force; he is said to be the driving force, with no actual details given, and with no details, no effective evidence. People make the same assumptions about Revan, I've noticed.
it's a STORY, where people come up with fantastic things to TELL you, saying that being TOLD he was a great general and strategic mastermind isn't enough is like saying the there's no proof for the Extended Universe 'cause msot if it is in written in novels, not shown in movies or comics or toons.

Old 11-10-2008, 06:34 PM   #74
TKA-001
I sneer at thee.

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
it's a STORY, where people come up with fantastic things to TELL you, saying that being TOLD he was a great general and strategic mastermind isn't enough is like saying the there's no proof for the Extended Universe 'cause msot if it is in written in novels, not shown in movies or comics or toons.
No, it isn't like that. You're talking like there's never been opportunities to demonstrate Grievous' skills, which is false. Of course saying he was good isn't enough. Lots of other characters have had their skills and traits demonstrated, like Palpatine's ability to manipulate others, Thrawn's insight into species via their art, Darth Malak's ruthlessness, Exar Kun's arrogance, Jerec's lust for power, Carth Onasi's stupidity, Joruus C'boath's insanity, and so on. Grievous' supposed tactical/strategic ability has certainly been alluded to, but not actually demonstrated, and that's why one should not automatically assume that he is a genius in that department.

Old 11-11-2008, 12:38 PM   #75
Lance Monance
Rookie

So do we assume the opposite, remain entirely neutral or lean towards thinking that what is told about him is true?
Lance Monance is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-11-2008, 07:28 PM   #76
mattig89ch

It just seems like the characters we know and love have been reduced to flailing morons...

though, it is a kid show now...
Old 11-12-2008, 01:41 AM   #77
Web Rider

Quote:
No, it isn't like that. You're talking like there's never been opportunities to demonstrate Grievous' skills, which is false. Of course saying he was good isn't enough. Lots of other characters have had their skills and traits demonstrated, like Palpatine's ability to manipulate others, Thrawn's insight into species via their art, Darth Malak's ruthlessness, Exar Kun's arrogance, Jerec's lust for power, Carth Onasi's stupidity, Joruus C'boath's insanity, and so on. Grievous' supposed tactical/strategic ability has certainly been alluded to, but not actually demonstrated, and that's why one should not automatically assume that he is a genius in that department.
Wait, how can you take into account what you're being TOLD about Thrawn or Exar Kun in a book, and NOT take into account what's being TOLD about Grievous in various writings, shows, ect....

I mean, do you really want to see a 600 page novel describing ship maneuvers and tactical movements under Grieveous' command? Is the lack of something EXPLICITY explaining why he's the best the problem? You know as well as I do you're never going to see that, so you have to work with what we all work it, that Grievous is the best at what he does because all the other characters say he is.

Old 12-14-2008, 09:45 AM   #78
greggomonkey
Rookie

Current Game: Kotor
look eventualy hk would get his blaster destroyed and grievous would lose his lightsabers and hk would shove a grenade in grievous's chest and grievouse would crush his head and they wouold both die.

Savior, conqueror, hero, villain. You are all things Revan... and yet you are nothing. In the end you belong to neither the light nor the darkness. You will forever stand alone."
―Darth Malak
greggomonkey is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-03-2009, 10:58 PM   #79
Drewton
Rookie

Current Game: KotOR, TSL
Grievous would win, unfortunately...
Drewton is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-03-2009, 11:12 PM   #80
Fredi
El Guapo

General Grievous, not even masters of the council could kill him (Shak Ti,Ki-Adi Mundi, Ect.) less another droid would.

"Evil is a word used by the ignorant and the weak. The dark side is about survival. It's about unleashing your inner power. It glorifies the strength of the individual."
Fredi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Game Discussion > Telos Tourist Bureau > HK-47 versus General Grievous