lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar
View Poll Results: Should Kavar's Corner be suspended for a month?
Yes - it will give people a chance to cool off 15 36.59%
No - we need to argue now more than ever 26 63.41%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: Should Kavar's Corner take a month long break?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 10-09-2008, 02:36 PM   #41
Darth333
Administraterror

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk102
What do you think?
What about we just ban everyone instead of closing the forum? Those who want to gather more info about the US elections would then have more time to do so...
Darth333 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-09-2008, 02:37 PM   #42
Inyri
The Magical Malefactor

Current Game: Mass Effect 3
Veteran Modder Forum Veteran Helpful! Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Dammit I knew I shouldn't have started posting here.

Inyri is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-09-2008, 02:43 PM   #43
Yar-El
Banned

Current Game: The Witcher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astor_Kaine View Post
Statements like that aren't helping .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astor_Kaine View Post
Change needs to come from both sides - I enter every debate with an open mind, and I keep my mind open to ALL possibilities. No one 'side', if it really has to come down to such a thing is innocent in this, and you can't possibly expect people to agree all the time in such discussions.

The biggest problem is people not realising when to stop poking the cow.
Very true. Change starts with the individual; however, people are mostly fighting over whose candidate has the best policy. It went from debate to bashing the candidates. We are in a deadlock.

Last edited by Yar-El; 10-09-2008 at 02:58 PM.
Yar-El is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-09-2008, 03:09 PM   #44
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Nihil
If people are unwilling to change their minds or cannot change others then what's the point other than a debate that changes neither side's mind anyway. In the end it's just a waste of time.
With all respect, I disagree entirely with this statement. I don’t come to Kavar to change anyone’s mind on any topic. I’m also not here for anyone to change my mind or for in-depth knowledge on any issue. I am perfectly capable of doing my own research. I am not saying that some of my beliefs have not been modified since I’ve been coming here, I am saying this is not my first source of knowledge.

I’m here to read about other people’s views. Listening to others promotes understanding. At one time I had some pretty far-out preconceptions about atheist. I had never meet or talked to one. I’d been taught they were moral less heathens that wanted to force their way of life onto the rest of us. However, after reluctantly getting in several religious debates with Achilles and others, I modified my view. I did not give up my belief, but now I somewhat understand that atheist are no different from the rest of us. Now, the person I talk to most often via PM and my best friend on this forum is one of those heathen atheists.

That to me is what this forum is about. I’m not here to conform others to my view; I am here to hopefully receive a better understanding of others views.

In my personal opinion, the purpose of Kavar is not to change others minds, but to listen to others view and present your own views in a way that promotes understanding. Attacking others beliefs should be done in a respectful and in a well thought out matter. People take their religion and their politics (and their Star Wars canon) very personally. When you question either, people will interrupt that as a personal attack if it is not done in a very respectful way.

We should strive to better moderate ourselves so that Jae, El Sitherino, jonathan7 and others will have an easier job. I know recently I have push my post a little further than I normally do. For this I apologize to all members and staff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth333 View Post
What about we just ban everyone instead of closing the forum? Those who want to gather more info about the US elections would then have more time to do so...
Will quickly changing my user name immune me from this? *

* Edit: no one can escape the power of the dark side - d3

Last edited by mimartin; 10-09-2008 at 04:48 PM. Reason: spelling
mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-09-2008, 03:12 PM   #45
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime View Post
Pity the yes vote is so low. Probably because all you ethnic right wing extremists are voting no.
Yeah. All three of 'em.

Moar drama!

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker

Last edited by Q; 10-09-2008 at 03:27 PM.
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-09-2008, 03:30 PM   #46
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
I'd make a counterproposal.................all those disaffected by dissension take off a week or month from KC (I took 3 weeks myself) and everyone else who stays behind for that month agree not to go running for interference when arguments don't go their way. Maybe everyone will then appreciate why the Senate is much less active then Pre-KC (though I frankly woudldn't hold my breath, but that's just the cynic in me) Seriously, though, "banning" politics won't change the contention b/c there are also cultural issues that divide many people here, both knuckle draggers on the left and right.

Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.---Teddy Roosevelt

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception.---Groucho

And if you all get killed, I'll piss on your graves.---Shaman Urdnot

How would you like to own a little bit of my foot in your ass.---Red Foreman
Totenkopf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-09-2008, 03:33 PM   #47
igyman
Tension!

Current Game: Watch Dogs (PC)
Forum Veteran Helpful! Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
I agree that closing down the entire forum won't have any effect in the long run. The best solution is the one that requires a lot more work - closer observation by the mods. Also, perhaps it would be good if the thread starter himself/herself could ask all potential participants to keep it civil (a lot of them already do, but it doesn't hurt to say it), because it shows an additional level of seriousness. There's really no point to a debate, if you take it personal and start insulting people who think differently. The key word for Kavar's posters is, I think, self-restraint. Even if you want to call someone names at a certain point, restrain yourselves and try saying "I don't understand your attitude, please explain to me why you think the way you think", it's a lot more civil and you might actually get a good and civil answer.
Just my two cents.

igyman is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-09-2008, 03:40 PM   #48
SD Nihil

Current Game: K1/2, EaW/FoC, & TFU
Well the description of this forum says this is a forum for discussion of current issues and todays events. Discussion doesn't sould like debate. So I fell it should have been of more than just a political debate forum to begin with.

But when you create a forum and a sub forum has little growth, threads being closed, infractions, complaints, and the differing opinion majority private messages you and says they are thinking about leaving that says to me the sub forum is not good for overall forum growth, popularity, and forum harmony. Think of it from a business stand point. If a section of your company is causing customers to be turned off and talks about going else where that sounds bad to me.

And closing it down temporarily won't change the same outcome later of us coming right back to maybe we all need to take a break topics.

It's like temporarily recalling g a product and then putting the same product back out. That same recalled product will be the same. And when you think about it, this forum is a product your wanting to sell to more people and promote this product.

That's why you have to weigh the pros and cons, and is it fufilling your goals well. If the cons outweigh the gains maybe the product is not from a business standpoint good.

SD Nihil is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-09-2008, 03:42 PM   #49
Inyri
The Magical Malefactor

Quote:
Well the description of this forum says this is a forum for discussion of current issues and todays events. Discussion doesn't sould like debate. So I fell it should have been of more than just a political debate forum to begin with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rules for Kavar's Corner
Welcome to Kavar’s Corner, a place for debating serious topics.
o rly?

Old 10-09-2008, 03:52 PM   #50
SD Nihil

Well in the discription area of the forum outside of it it said discussion.

But again if the debates are counter productive to forum growth, harmony, and some if not the majority of the differing opinion want to leave then that forum in my opinion has not served the whole forum in helping to promote and grow in member number of people. Also to have debates you have to have those who differ on opinion. You can't have much of a debate if there is few to none to disagree with.

So again I feel those who run the forum have in mind the goal of what can we put that is going to grow and promote the forum. If an element is doing the opposite of that does not serve the goal.

Old 10-09-2008, 03:55 PM   #51
Astor
It's Thornhill!

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Nihil View Post
But again if the debates are counter productive to forum growth, harmony, and some if not the majority of the differing opinion want to leave then that forum in my opinion has not served the whole forum in helping to promote and grow in member number of people. Also to have debates you have to have those who differ on opinion. You can't have much of a debate if there is few to none to disagree with.
There's plenty of things to disagree on. We all disagree with each other - but we learn from those disagreements.

Astor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-09-2008, 04:01 PM   #52
SD Nihil

If everything was fine then we wouldn't be having this poll topic. We have not worked though the disagreements. That's why it's to the point to where some want to leave. And those some are the majority of the conservatives who messaged me here. And there are some issues behind the scenes I cannot talk about that are being looked into.

So there is a problem. And unless corrections can be done in these behind the scenes stuff or this forum goes away because it's counter productive in growth and having diversity of vew when the differing opinion wnats to leave.

This is the majority opinoin I've gotten from pms.

Old 10-09-2008, 04:02 PM   #53
Inyri
The Magical Malefactor

Some want to leave because various people have recently come into Kavar's without intending to engage in honorable debate.

Old 10-09-2008, 04:06 PM   #54
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
That applies to people who've been here awhile as well. It's not merely new people that are trying to "crater" the landscape with "bad" intentions.

Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

Old 10-09-2008, 04:14 PM   #55
SD Nihil

I'm not going to argue. I want to say some things about why we have and why others have not. I want to say we disagree with some decisions that many agree with me on that, but are looking into. If I be more than vague that can get us in trouble and me in trouble.

Those that recently joined. Those were us conservatives. Again it's not a debate forum really if there is no one with a differing opinion to debate with. And closing it temporarily won't fix the problems or the fact of the forum's existance. If things tay the same. Other conservatives in the future will come along again and we'll either end up with this same poll type topic or more of the same problems. There are problems. Threads closed, infractions, complaints about those, cursing, flaming, irrelivant links.

Old 10-09-2008, 04:18 PM   #56
Inyri
The Magical Malefactor

Conservatives and liberals are not the issue, by far. My boyfriend is a conservative and I'm a liberal and not only do I actually like him (and his PS3 >.>) but I can have a calm, collected, and interesting discussion with him about his differing political opinions.

Don't try to suggest that liberals and conservatives can't debate without resorting to slander tactics, because it isn't true.

Old 10-09-2008, 04:20 PM   #57
Astor
It's Thornhill!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Nihil View Post
Again it's not a debate forum really if there is no one with a differing opinion to debate with.
As i've said, everyone here has differing opinions - and there's plenty to debate about - I may agree with Inyri for instance in one respect, and then completely disagree with her on something else ('bug rights', for instance ).

Quote:
Threads closed, infractions, complaints about those, cursing, flaming, irrelivant links.
Threads do get closed yes, if they've outlived their usefulness, or become too heated.

And cursing, which is rarely seen thanks to the filters, and our super-hot-quick team of moderators. Same goes for flaming. I'm not sure what you mean by irrelevant links, though.

Old 10-09-2008, 04:41 PM   #58
tk102
Well past expiration date

Current Game: Watch_Dogs
Forum Veteran Helpful! Notable contributor 
Quote:
What about we just ban everyone instead of closing the forum?
Done.

tk102 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-09-2008, 04:42 PM   #59
Darth333
Administraterror

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk102 View Post
Done.
Thanks!

Ah the peace!
Old 10-09-2008, 04:50 PM   #60
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Ah the peace!
Expect PMs shortly
Achilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-09-2008, 04:58 PM   #61
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Cute.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-09-2008, 05:03 PM   #62
Litofsky
Galaxial

O hai, I am banned. Nice to meet you. Should we consider this the staff's Christmas/Holiday present to the LFers?
Litofsky is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-09-2008, 05:05 PM   #63
Astor
It's Thornhill!

I sense a distinct lack of weight to this punishment...

Old 10-09-2008, 05:06 PM   #64
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
The only thing getting me through this crisis is the unfounded belief that name deleted, name deleted, name deleted, and name deleted were banned first.

PS: ooo, and mimartin too. Frickin' Texans.
Achilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-09-2008, 05:12 PM   #65
Darth333
Administraterror

We abuse power in an indiscriminate fashion!
Old 10-09-2008, 05:15 PM   #66
Astor
It's Thornhill!

Quote:
We abuse power in an indiscriminate fashion!
And there we have our next topic... abuse of power by authority figures...

forgive me, your Darthness...

Old 10-09-2008, 05:20 PM   #67
Yar-El
Banned

I have been banned.
Old 10-09-2008, 05:22 PM   #68
Arcesious
Trolololololololololololo

Current Game: Mass Effect
I've been browsing the fourm and I noticed something odd... Why am I 'banned'? What happened to my custom user title and description?

Edit: Nevermind... I should have read the new posts, lol.

Please feed the trolls. XD
Arcesious is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-09-2008, 05:23 PM   #69
Yar-El
Banned

You are now special.
Old 10-09-2008, 06:23 PM   #70
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

But if we're all special.....is anyone really special? This banning would have worked even better if none of us could have logged in any responses (I'm guessing that we wouldn't be able to pm as a result either. Devilishly clever little monkey biz that would have been.......till the bans ran out anyway).

Old 10-09-2008, 06:30 PM   #71
jrrtoken

I feel offended by the term "Banned". I suggest changing the title to a more politically correct term, such as "Temporarily Exiled".

So... how long are we banned for?

EDIT: Wait, so we can still post in Kavar's? Is the title just an aesthetic thing?

Last edited by jrrtoken; 10-09-2008 at 06:40 PM.
jrrtoken is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-09-2008, 06:43 PM   #72
Det. Bart Lasiter
obama.png

Current Game: all
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
keep open, change background image to

"No, Mama. You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty whoever put that hit on you already got the cops in their back pocket." ~Black Dynamite
Det. Bart Lasiter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-09-2008, 06:45 PM   #73
jrrtoken

Huzzah, we're free! Pints for everyone!
jrrtoken is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-09-2008, 06:45 PM   #74
tk102
Well past expiration date

Current Game: Watch_Dogs
Forum Veteran Helpful! Notable contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PastramiX View Post
So... how long are we banned for?
Until it's not as funny, which is about now.
Quote:
EDIT: Wait, so we can still post in Kavar's? Is the title just an aesthetic thing?

It was a nice fantasy though.

tk102 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-09-2008, 06:47 PM   #75
Inyri
The Magical Malefactor

So teekay, when do we get to have our fantasy?

Old 10-09-2008, 06:50 PM   #76
Stream
Damn...

Current Game: Fable 3
Helpful! LFN Staff Member 
That was kinda interesting. How many PM's did you get about that tk?

--Stream

Stream is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-09-2008, 07:08 PM   #77
Litofsky
Galaxial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inyri View Post
So teekay, when do we get to have our fantasy?
Uh-oh Inyrikins what have you and tk been up to?

Anyways, on the downside, we're no longer pseudo-banned, but on the bright side, we still get to post in the Corner!
Litofsky is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-12-2008, 12:24 PM   #78
Darth InSidious
A handful of dust.

Current Game: KotOR II
This place was a mistake in the first place.

Works-In-Progress
~
Mods Released
~
Quid existis in desertum videre?
Darth InSidious is online now   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-12-2008, 01:12 PM   #79
EnderWiggin
Sine Amore Nihil Est Vita

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inyri View Post
Conservatives and liberals are not the issue, by far. My boyfriend is a conservative and I'm a liberal and not only do I actually like him (and his PS3 >.>) but I can have a calm, collected, and interesting discussion with him about his differing political opinions.

Don't try to suggest that liberals and conservatives can't debate without resorting to slander tactics, because it isn't true.
QFE. QFE. QFE. QFE. QFE.
QFE. QFE. QFE. QFE. QFE.
QFE. QFE. QFE. QFE. QFE.
QFE. QFE. QFE. QFE. QFE.
QFE. QFE. QFE. QFE. QFE.

_EW_

Hello, Pot? This is Kettle. You're black. ~ Prime

Yes, I hate you.

J7 - thanks for accepting me as part of the 'family.'
EnderWiggin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-12-2008, 01:40 PM   #80
Stream
Damn...

Current Game: Fable 3
Helpful! LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth InSidious View Post
This place was a mistake in the first place.
What makes you say that?

--Stream

Stream is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Kavar's Corner > Should Kavar's Corner take a month long break?