View Poll Results: Is TOR as satisfying to people as KOTOR III?
It's an ending and I'm glad that they will continue from TSL. 26 19.26%
Being 300 years too late killed the story. 88 65.19%
Couldn't care less. The gameplay is what matters. 30 22.22%
There's absolutely no way to know until TOR actually comes out. 2 1.48%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: Is TOR as good as KOTOR III?
Post a new thread. Sorry, this thread is closed. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 10-21-2008, 06:33 PM   #1
Darth_Yuthura
Banned

Current Game: KOTOR III
Is TOR as good as KOTOR III?

Do people have great joy that there is a conclusion to the KOTOR series, or does it detract from the original two games?
Darth_Yuthura is offline   you may:
Old 10-21-2008, 06:36 PM   #2
ReplicatorJade
Rookie

Well, from what I've read and heard so far, its like its a new game, new storyline, dressed up a little different, but just happens to have Old Republic in the title.

I don't even think it should be consider Kotor game. Because its really not. Its something new hundreds of years later.

~I Once Thought I Was Impervious To The Dark Side...I Was Wrong!
ReplicatorJade is offline   you may:
Old 10-21-2008, 06:36 PM   #3
jrrtoken

No, no, no. The is LucasArts' greatest blaspheme: The alienation of all fans who begged for KotOR III, but instead we have a money-making product which is nothing what I wanted.
jrrtoken is offline   you may:
Old 10-21-2008, 06:47 PM   #4
Da_Man_2423
Forumite

Current Game: NCAA Football 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PastramiX View Post
No, no, no. The is LucasArts' greatest blaspheme: The alienation of all fans who begged for KotOR III, but instead we have a money-making product which is nothing what I wanted.
They care what you want....why?

Da_Man_2423 is offline   you may:
Old 10-21-2008, 06:49 PM   #5
TKA-001
I sneer at thee.

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Is TOR as good as KOTOR III?
In short, no.

In long, nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

"There is something going on in time and space, and beyond time and space, which, whether we like it or not, spells duty." -Winston Churchill

"For of all sad words of tongue or pen, The saddest are these: 'It might have been!'" -John Whittier

"Apathy is death." -Kreia
TKA-001 is offline   you may:
Old 10-21-2008, 07:03 PM   #6
the-obiwan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKA-001 View Post
In short, no.

In long, nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.
i know... we want kotor 3 why the hell they dont hear the fans!!! gosh they should stop thinking of money money and money.
the-obiwan is offline   you may:
Old 10-21-2008, 07:05 PM   #7
Razgriz1928
Rookie

Quote:

"2:26 Scooter: But he's talking about a game for KOTOR fans who don't play MMOs"

Scooter from 1up at the event.

Razgriz1928 is offline   you may:
Old 10-21-2008, 07:06 PM   #8
ReplicatorJade
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-obiwan View Post
i know... we want kotor 3 why the hell they dont hear the fans!!! gosh they should stop thinking of money money and money.
I'm gonna guess that it wasn't the money they were worried about since it is a Star Wars game and they know that a certain percentage of people will buy it just because it has star wars on the label.

But with all the new game and video graphics, they probably wanted to make something new, advanced and young. Which is BS! Since it should be about the graphics, but the story.
That's the world for you! Greedy Jerks!

~I Once Thought I Was Impervious To The Dark Side...I Was Wrong!
ReplicatorJade is offline   you may:
Old 10-21-2008, 07:10 PM   #9
Razgriz1928
Rookie

I think its awesome. I'm definatley getting both games.

Razgriz1928 is offline   you may:
Old 10-21-2008, 07:15 PM   #10
Jeff
Rating: Awesome

Current Game: SWTOR
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
I enjoy MMOs so I think I am probably just as excited for SWToR as I would be for a KotOR 3.

Follow me on Twitter
Follow StarWarsMMO.net on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
Jeff is offline   you may:
Old 10-21-2008, 07:34 PM   #11
SW01
3 Years in the Lurk

Current Game: Real Life
I think that such a huge gap makes the story of TSL a little...remote. It seems more of a new era than a continuation of the last in that respect. That in itself is not an altogether bad thing, but I personally would have preferred the outstanding era to be resolved first.

SW01 is offline   you may:
Old 10-21-2008, 07:40 PM   #12
Yar-El
Banned

Current Game: The Witcher
Here is the catch -

Quote:
4:38 Scooter: "most MMOs have background, and the people you MEET have a story, but YOU don't have a story"
Revan and Exile had a story that included the player character's participation. We no longer have this element.
Yar-El is offline   you may:
Old 10-21-2008, 07:41 PM   #13
Jeff
Rating: Awesome

Current Game: SWTOR
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
Actually we do, they were saying that is typical in most MMOs, but in this one you will have an individual story.

Follow me on Twitter
Follow StarWarsMMO.net on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
Jeff is offline   you may:
Old 10-21-2008, 08:13 PM   #14
DarthHK
Rookie

Location: I am everywhere, yet at the same time I am nowhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Moeller View Post
Actually we do, they were saying that is typical in most MMOs, but in this one you will have an individual story.
It just doesn't work as well with 2189470128410948112034 "the ones" running amok begging for "1337 1007" and "sabverz."

I'm going off to weep.

The more you study, the more you know.
The more you know, the more you forget.
The more you forget, the less you know.
So why study?

Last edited by DarthHK; 10-21-2008 at 08:52 PM.
DarthHK is offline   you may:
Old 10-21-2008, 08:48 PM   #15
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
The good conclusion would have been an offline one. It could be set 500 ABY and still call it a direct sequel to the TSL as long as it stayed SP for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Moeller View Post
Yeah, as a trader or farmer maybe. Perhaps a fighter pilot at best. I can't really think of players getting any significant role on such a world.

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may:
Old 10-21-2008, 09:17 PM   #16
Darth_Yuthura
Banned

I think that TSL was just ended with a conflict so great that they couldn't come up with a dramatic conclusion for it. Odds are that they were interested in selling a third installment that they tried to make the best cliffhanger they could for TSL.

This was clearly meant for the KOTOR fans, but is not a conclusion for the cliffhanger they left from TSL. This is the WORST way they could have continued the franchise. At least before, the ending was open to the imagination. Now it's carved in stone that KOTOR III was never going to be.

This is an abomination that killed KOTOR!
Old 10-21-2008, 09:26 PM   #17
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Yuthura View Post
I think that TSL was just ended with a conflict so great that they couldn't come up with a dramatic conclusion for it. Odds are that they were interested in selling a third installment that they tried to make the best cliffhanger they could for TSL.
I refuse to believe they couldn't come up with a decent ending for that cliffhanger. They're more likely exploiting the gold mine that the starved KotOR fans have become while we're still dry.

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:30 PM   #18
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Is TOR better than Kotor 3? That's like asking 'is the Chateau Lafite 2066 wine better than the Chateau Margaux 2075?'. We can hardly compare without having both.

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may:
Old 10-21-2008, 09:33 PM   #19
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Forum Veteran 
^ Instead, you might just as well go for a beer.

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:40 PM   #20
Yar-El
Banned

Current Game: The Witcher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Onasi View Post
Is TOR better than Kotor 3? That's like asking 'is the Chateau Lafite 2066 wine better than the Chateau Margaux 2075?'. We can hardly compare without having both.
Judging the second wine requires tasting and experiencing both. Very articulate.
Yar-El is offline   you may:
Old 10-21-2008, 09:57 PM   #21
Darth_Yuthura
Banned

Quote:
That wasn't the question I posted. The majority of fans looking forward to this game were KOTOR fans and wanted KOTOR III. Instead, they got... this.

It is NOT what Lucasarts had advertised it to be. Who had been waiting for something that they did not know exist?

Who here have been waiting for TOR? I most certainly wasn't!
Old 10-21-2008, 10:03 PM   #22
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
It is NOT what Lucasarts had advertised it to be.
What did they really advertised then?

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:04 PM   #23
True_Avery
Banned

Quote:
Who here have been waiting for TOR? I most certainly wasn't!
*Raises Hand*

Yes, there are those that would have liked Kotor3. I, personally, found the idea of an MMO to be quite nice.
True_Avery is offline   you may:
Old 10-21-2008, 10:29 PM   #24
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
If I hadn't started playing Guild Wars and got a good MMO experience from that, I'd probably be unhappy about this being an MMO instead of a SP RPG. However, with the MMO experience under my belt, I'm a lot more receptive to the idea of a Kotor MMO, so I am actually looking forward to this game quite a bit.

I sure hope they have family pricing, because I bet the entire family will want to play.

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may:
Old 10-21-2008, 10:30 PM   #25
Darth_Yuthura
Banned

Lucasarts was referring to the 5-year wait for KOTOR III. There was NOTHING indicating something other than KOTOR and I would not imagine anyone who were waiting for the third installment would have wanted this. This is a new thing, yet it was portrayed as a continuation of the KOTOR franchise.

Lucasarts is abandoning KOTOR and saying this is what the fans have been wanting for five years... it's not.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:36 PM   #26
Darth_Yuthura
Banned

Quote:
If I hadn't started playing Guild Wars and got a good MMO experience from that, I'd probably be unhappy about this being an MMO instead of a SP RPG. However, with the MMO experience under my belt, I'm a lot more receptive to the idea of a Kotor MMO, so I am actually looking forward to this game quite a bit.

I sure hope they have family pricing, because I bet the entire family will want to play.
I should clarify something. I wasn't specific enough when I was polling. My intent was to ask if people wanted the story to take place 10-20 years down the line, or if they are satisfied that 350 would not be too much for them to assume that this is suitable enough for K3, or if it's something completely different.

I WILL not get this game because it is a fake attempt to satisfy KOTOR fans with something completely different than what they made it out to be. How many SW fans do you think assumed this was a new franchise altogether(and not the final installment of KOTOR)?
Old 10-21-2008, 10:38 PM   #27
True_Avery
Banned

Quote:
Lucasarts was referring to the 5-year wait for KOTOR III. There was NOTHING indicating something other than KOTOR and I would not imagine anyone who were waiting for the third installment would have wanted this. This is a new thing, yet it was portrayed as a continuation of the KOTOR franchise.

Lucasarts is abandoning KOTOR and saying this is what the fans have been wanting for five years... it's not.
I never believed a K3 was coming in the first place personally. I saw the very, very unfinished TSL and the way LA treated Obsidian during that time and put the puzzle together:

LA was not going to make another unless it was made by Bioware. Except, Bioware has had things like Mass Effect and such under its nose for the time being, so it was a surprise to hear that a studio was put together to work on a Lucas/Bioware project. Then it was announced Bioware was working on an MMO, and it only made sense to me to put the two together.

The MMO looks to be trying to take the Guild Wars route, meaning that its a multiplayer game with aspects of both. With this, I can play this game for possibly years. I would be done with K3 in a week or less, however, and would just be waiting all over again.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:00 PM   #28
Darth_Yuthura
Banned

^

As you wish. I'll say that lucasarts won't be profiting off me for making something and advertising something completely different. As far as I'm concerned, people who buy what they don't want simply because there is nothing else available are only encouraging companies like lucasarts to keep giving you more of what you don't want.

If you want K3 to come out, then tell lucasarts that you won't buy anything besides that. If enough do that, then garbage like "the old republic" won't be made.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:04 PM   #29
Da_Man_2423
Forumite

Current Game: NCAA Football 10
Quote:

If you want K3 to come out, then tell lucasarts that you won't buy anything besides that. If enough do that, then they will make K3 and not something you didn't want.
Good luck with that crusade. Don't think it'll work though.

Da_Man_2423 is offline   you may:
Old 10-21-2008, 11:07 PM   #30
True_Avery
Banned

Quote:
^

As you wish. I'll say that lucasarts won't be profiting off me for making something and advertising something completely different. As far as I'm concerned, people who buy what they don't want simply because there is nothing else available are only encouraging companies like lucasarts to keep giving you more of what you don't want.

If you want K3 to come out, then tell lucasarts that you won't buy anything besides that. If enough do that, then garbage like "the old republic" won't be made.
I don't actually ever recall LF or Bioware ever advertising K3. At all.

The news we have been getting over the past few years is "We are working together" "Its a joint project" "Team in Austin" "MMO"

Both completely denied anything relating to Kotor until EA let it slip, and the announcement today.

If you have any Kotor3 ad links available, I'd be delighted to see them however.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:15 PM   #31
Darth_Yuthura
Banned

"The wait is over."

What does that mean? It has a direct reference to the KOTOR era where nothing else in the SW universe comes close to that point in history. TSL has never been resolved. They include 'Revan' in the description. It's directed at KOTOR fans.

A reasonable supposition can be made. This is to pacify the fans for now so that they can make a K3 after this if successful.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:16 PM   #32
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
I'll say that lucasarts won't be profiting off me for making something and advertising something completely different.
Link?

Prime is offline   you may:
Old 10-21-2008, 11:18 PM   #33
True_Avery
Banned

Quote:
"The wait is over."

What does that mean? It has a direct reference to the KOTOR era where nothing else in the SW universe comes close to that point in history. TSL has never been resolved. They include 'Revan' in the description. It's directed at KOTOR fans.

A reasonable supposition can be made. This is to pacify the fans for now so that they can make a K3 after this if successful.
"The Wait Is Over" means the Wait is Over. It doesn't specifically say K3 or Revan on the cover.

And, from experience with multiple MMOs, an MMO is here to stay for a long time. They wouldn't spend years working on something so large only to use it as a pacifier for the real treat.

If you don't believe me, ask the people that are still waiting for Warcraft IV.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:18 PM   #34
Darth_Yuthura
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Man_2423 View Post
Good luck with that crusade. Don't think it'll work though.
It only doesn't work because the KOTOR fans would be willing to buy something that they didn't ask for. I'm not launching a crusade, but encouraging everyone to object to this game if they wanted K3 and NOT to buy this if they don't want it.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:19 PM   #35
stoffe
Network Caretaker

Helpful! 10 year veteran! Notable contributor 
Quote:
As far as I'm concerned, people who buy what they don't want simply because there is nothing else available are only encouraging companies like lucasarts to keep giving you more of what you don't want.
Sometimes you don't know what you want until you've tried it though (unless you're only interested in "more of the same" games I guess). Some of the best games I've ever played were blind purchases that I didn't know much about in advance, that I mostly picked up because they were cheap to fill out shipping of other games.

Going into something with no expectations and just judging the experience by its own merit can pleasantly surprise you in some cases.

Personally I'm reserving judgment until I know more about this game, what the gameplay and story will be like, how much it will cost, and preferably getting a chance to try it out.

stoffe is offline   you may:
Old 10-21-2008, 11:25 PM   #36
Darth_Yuthura
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime View Post
Link?
I think that if you need a link to be convinced of this, then you must not be looking at all. Go into the KOTOR forums and most everything implies(but does not directly conclude) that it was a multi-player online KOTOR project.

If it will make you happy, then I'll see what I can do.

(THE ISSUE IS THAT I AM NOT FAMILIAR WITH INSERTING LINKS IN THESE POSTS, NOT THAT THE LINKS DON'T EXIST.)
Old 10-21-2008, 11:31 PM   #37
True_Avery
Banned

Quote:
I think that if you need a link to be convinced of this, then you must not be looking at all.
Hey now, no need to be hostile.

Quote:
Go into the KOTOR forums and most everything implies(but does not directly conclude) that it was a multi-player online KOTOR project.
Knights Of The Old Republic.

It is set in the Old Republic, and you can play as a Jedi Knight. Seems Kotor to me, just now Massively Multiplayer.

If anything, TSL is the odd child out in this situation. Unfinished, unresolved, and made by a different company using many different characters.

Quote:
(THE ISSUE IS THAT I AM NOT FAMILIAR WITH INSERTING LINKS IN THESE POSTS, NOT THAT THE LINKS DON'T EXIST.)
Ctrl+c and then Ctrl+v
Old 10-21-2008, 11:35 PM   #38
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Quote:
I think that if you need a link to be convinced of this, then you must not be looking at all. Go into the KOTOR forums and most everything implies(but does not directly conclude) that it was a multi-player online KOTOR project.
Which they delivered. You claimed they did not. Again, link?

Old 10-21-2008, 11:49 PM   #39
Darth_Yuthura
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime View Post
Which they delivered. You claimed they did not. Again, link?
No, they delivered "The Old Republic"

Here are your links and tell me how many before the release assumed it was something completely different from KOTOR. Answer: Almost none

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthrea...44#post2542444 Of which you seemed to have already seen AND posted to

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/starw...opslot;thumb;1

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=190014

http://www.portfolio.com/views/blogs...e-old-republic

I'm also going to end this here because I'm not really interested in people who want to squander their money on rubbish they don't want.

Please keep your anger in check.

~T_A

Last edited by True_Avery; 10-22-2008 at 12:24 AM.
Old 10-22-2008, 12:09 AM   #40
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Quote:
Here are your links and tell me how many before the release assumed it was something completely different from KOTOR. Answer: Almost none
You mean to tell me that you see almost no connection between the current KOTOR games and what is being announced here? Seriously?

Post a new thread. Sorry, this thread is closed. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Star Wars: The Old Republic MMO Forums > Game Discussion > Tython Temple > Is TOR as good as KOTOR III?