Thread: Didn't learn from NGE?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 10-21-2008, 08:31 PM   #41
Yar-El
Banned

Current Game: The Witcher
We need more information. Wait and see approach.
Yar-El is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-22-2008, 03:53 PM   #42
Scars Unseen
Rookie

Well I will say this. There is absolutely no point in making the jedi class "hard" to get to. In the end, even if the method is hidden, it will be found out and displayed on websites. Once that happens, everyone that wants to play a jedi will go to whatever effort necessary to play it. Instead of everyone playing jedi and possibly interacting with the world, they will be grinding to become a jedi and completely ignoring the world.

If anything, you would be guaranteeing that the majority of people playing jedi would fall into the younger age groups with more time on their hands than older, possibly more mature players that have to balance playing with work and family life. I personally don't want to play a jedi if certain other(Mandalorian or Echani) options are available, yet I still don't like the idea of the option being unavailable to me simply because I don't have the time to grind out 5000 holocrons or whatever.

I think the true lesson that should be learned from the NGE is that if you are piloting a ship full of paying customers to England, you should not decide to change course for Portugal when you're halfway there. The ship was obviously full of people that like England or else they wouldn't have paid you to go there.
Scars Unseen is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-22-2008, 03:57 PM   #43
Da_Man_2423
Forumite

Current Game: NCAA Football 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scars Unseen View Post
Well I will say this. There is absolutely no point in making the jedi class "hard" to get to. In the end, even if the method is hidden, it will be found out and displayed on websites. Once that happens, everyone that wants to play a jedi will go to whatever effort necessary to play it. Instead of everyone playing jedi and possibly interacting with the world, they will be grinding to become a jedi and completely ignoring the world.
There doesn't need to be a specific, secret "method" to finding out how to be one, the process of simply being a Jedi just shouldn't be so simple and easy. But don't worry, it will be, and we'll be plagued with the same problems from Galaxies.

Da_Man_2423 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-22-2008, 04:09 PM   #44
RyuuKage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Char Ell View Post
At least in the time period TOR is set in there are supposed to be a lot of Jedi and Sith, unlike SWG.
Considering the Jedi Order was wiped out less than three-hundred years earlier, I have trouble believing that Jedi are out in nearly as high numbers as Sith.
RyuuKage is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-22-2008, 04:17 PM   #45
Scars Unseen
Rookie

300 years is plenty of time to rebuild the order, given adequate Republic support. It only takes a generation to get a fresh supply of force sensitives and if the sith can rebuild their order from nothing but holocrons and/or force ghosts, there is no reason to believe that the jedi couldn't do the same, especially since they wouldn't have to do so in secret. Hell, Luke did it within his lifetime with a still active empire trying to kill him.

Or, if you prefer, you could just say that the surviving jedi bent the rules and started a jedi harem to mass produce force sensitive babies. Whatever works for you.
Scars Unseen is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-22-2008, 04:27 PM   #46
RyuuKage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scars Unseen View Post
Or, if you prefer, you could just say that the surviving jedi bent the rules and started a jedi harem to mass produce force sensitive babies. Whatever works for you.
alternatively, Mira could've taught all the new Padawans the basics of hunting down mates...just don't forget to check their bounties.
RyuuKage is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-22-2008, 04:32 PM   #47
CrisG
Aging Jedi

The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
Waiting to see what will be unveiled...at this point just about everything still remains to be seen. I am guessing seeing how smart and good Biowar is and how well Lucas tries to support both the story AND the community it will be fine in all respects.

There is no Chaos, There is Harmony.
----------------------------------------------------
Admin 3D Worlds and Game Developers Group - Linkedin - "We Build Worlds"
DF-JK DF2-DFMOTS-JKII-JKIII-KoTOR I-KoTOR II - XW-TF-XvT-BOP -XWA-Rogue Squad - Starfigher-Racer- RC-Battle for Naboo-Episode I Phantom Menace-Shadows of the Empire-BF I - BF II-EAW-EAW:FOC-Loom-Grim F-MI-MII-MIII-DOTT-IJFOA-IJLC-IJET-IJIM-Dig-Sam and Max HTR
CrisG is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-22-2008, 05:13 PM   #48
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

Forum Veteran The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
I got the same when I play SWG, Oh god nother Jedaai

Dont care, I play these games to be a Jedi, I like Jedi, I pay $14 a month, I'll do what the hell I like, 200k other players do the same? so be it, there choice too

adamqd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-22-2008, 05:35 PM   #49
Ztalker
Saving the world casually

Forum Veteran 
Exactly...and according to Bioware, you're the hero, so f*ck it

Plis, there will be multiple servers I guess, so it won't be like...millions of Jedi running around.
The other jobs will be needed to. I remember the great Guild Wars Monk draught of '05. Dang what a terrible time....

Ztalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-22-2008, 05:45 PM   #50
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
If it's PvE, it doesn't matter how many Jedi there are--it's still you against the universe rather than you against all the griefers and n00bs.

In PvP, as long as they balance the skill sets and create a level playing field, it won't matter how many Jedi there are.

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-22-2008, 06:14 PM   #51
Web Rider

exactly, limiting the numbers or not allowing it at all is kinda taking away the only thing that makes Star Wars games unique. You can be a robot, a commando, a ninja, in just about every other game on the market. What makes Star Wars unique is crazy powers and glowing beat sticks. As long as two players of equitable levels can have a equivocal battle, ie: not where some guy stuns you and 3 hits later you're dead, then it's all good.

"So if you go to Washington, it's buildings clean and nice. Bring a pack of matches...and we'll burn the White House twice!"

"Nobody's talking about extermination. No one ever does. They just do it." - Magneto

"Don't solicit for your sister, that's not nice, unless you get a good percentage of her price."
Web Rider is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-22-2008, 06:52 PM   #52
golddon
Lurker

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razgriz1928 View Post
I don't even want to be a Jedi. I enjoyed being a Bounty Hunter and Commando better.

And if they announce a Mandalorian Faction? That speaks for itself.
Man after my own heart

Long live Commando/BH
golddon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-22-2008, 09:38 PM   #53
John Galt

Well, if we go along with Darth Revan's theory that the true battles were fought between the Jedi and/or Jedi Hunters of each faction, and that the larger conflicts hinged on these battles, one could easily justify this in PvP terms, as the classes would be designed and balanced around fighting/disabling enemy jedi, therefore making regular soldiers little more than cannonfodder to the extremely skilled/powerful player characters.

Wer mit Ungeheuern kämpft, mag zusehn, dass er nicht dabei zum Ungeheuer wird. Und wenn du lange in einen Abgrund blickst, blickt der Abgrund auch in dich hinein. -Friedrich Nietzsche, Jenseits von Gut und Böse
John Galt is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-23-2008, 04:12 AM   #54
corcore
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Man_2423 View Post
There doesn't need to be a specific, secret "method" to finding out how to be one, the process of simply being a Jedi just shouldn't be so simple and easy.
I agree. Jedi and Sith players should have a different experience. Since the life of a Jedi is about sacrifice, make them give up something, like mission rewards or something. All a Jedi needs in life is a lightsaber and enough credits to buy food, shelter, and transport when necessary anyways.

As for Sith, since they constantly betray each other, players should be able to attack them without warning at anytime, even from fellow Sith. The Sith should have to compete for prestige, which would encourage them to fight each other.

I would be all for a "Forceless" server, where the only Jedi and Sith are npc companions.

I'm a street-walking cheetah with a heart of napalm.
corcore is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-23-2008, 09:49 AM   #55
SW01
3 Years in the Lurk

Current Game: Real Life
Quote:
Originally Posted by corcore View Post
I agree. Jedi and Sith players should have a different experience. Since the life of a Jedi is about sacrifice, make them give up something, like mission rewards or something.

As for Sith, since they constantly betray each other, players should be able to attack them without warning at anytime, even from fellow Sith. The Sith should have to compete for prestige, which would encourage them to fight each other.
A good suggestion, that to become the most powerful (probably) classes, you have some large drawback to weigh against the benefit. However, I think the Sith variant will be unlikely, as it could badly unbalance the game to the detriment of the Sith Empire faction.

SW01 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-23-2008, 04:06 PM   #56
Justus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razgriz1928 View Post
I don't even want to be a Jedi. I enjoyed being a Bounty Hunter and Commando better.

And if they announce a Mandalorian Faction? That speaks for itself.

Yeah that's how I felt in SWG. I never wanted to be a Jedi, and never became one. Mainly because I simply refused to do the hologrind, and I really didn't want to grind professions I really didn't want to play as. I loved my Master Pistoleer/Master Commando.

Good point about the Mandalorian faction...haven't thought about that... and if they do announce something like that sign me up ASAP.

Justus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Star Wars: The Old Republic MMO Forums > Game Discussion > Tython Temple > Didn't learn from NGE?