lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar
View Poll Results: Did this Thread Help you with your Video Card problem?
Yes, Thank You. 13 36.11%
No, It did not help me. 23 63.89%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: ** OPENGL / VIDEO CARD PROBLEMS, LOOK HERE!**
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 10-30-2002, 01:04 AM   #1
Andy867
McCan Caoma

**OPENGL / VIDEO CARD PROBLEMS, LOOK HERE!**

Ok, I figured I'd make a sticky of this because a lot of people get this error, and instead of 100 individual posts about the same error being made, why not just one post that explains the fix. What I am talking about is if you go to load up Jedi Outcast after installation, whether its from a new format of the hard drive, or just for the first time, and you are all excited and you get this error:
Quote:

JK2: v1.0x win-x86 Mar 4 2002
Initialising zone memory .....
----- FS_Startup -----
Current search path:
C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast\GameData\base\assets1.pk3 (8011 files)
C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast\GameData\base\assets0.pk3 (6674 files)
C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast\GameData/base

----------------------
14685 files in pk3 files
execing default.cfg
couldn't exec autoexec.cfg
...detecting CPU, found AMD w/ 3DNow!

------- Input Initialization -------
Skipping check for DirectInput
Joystick is not active.
------------------------------------

------- Force Feedback Initialization -------
...inhibited, not initializing

----- Client Initialization -----
----- Initializing Renderer ----
-------------------------------
----- Client Initialization Complete -----
--- Common Initialization Complete ---
Working directory: C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast\GameData
----- R_Init -----
Initializing OpenGL subsystem
...initializing QGL
...calling LoadLibrary( 'C:\WINDOWS\System32\opengl32.dll' ): succeeded
...setting mode 3: 640 480 FS
...using desktop display depth of 16
...calling CDS: ok
...registered window class
...created window@0,0 (640x480)
Initializing OpenGL driver
...getting DC: succeeded
...GLW_ChoosePFD( 16, 16, 0 )
...35 PFDs found
...GLW_ChoosePFD failed
...35 PFDs found
...GLW_ChoosePFD failed
...failed to find an appropriate PIXELFORMAT
...restoring display settings
...WARNING: could not set the given mode (3)
...using colorsbits of 16
...35 PFDs found
...GLW_ChoosePFD failed
...35 PFDs found
...GLW_ChoosePFD failed
...shutting down QGL
...unloading OpenGL DLL
----- CL_Shutdown -----
RE_Shutdown( 1 )
-----------------------
GLW_StartOpenGL() - could not load OpenGL subsystem

You begin to freak out because you are unsure of what this means, so you come here to the Lucasforums, and the answer to this dilemma is that you need updated drivers that have support for OpenGL.

Here are some of the more popular video card manufacturer websites which have drivers that support OpenGL:
http://www.nvidia.com For those with GeForce, Ti, MX, and other cards (the recommended download is version 30.18 i believe, but I personally go with the Detonation Drivers, which are pretty stable, and you can access them under Download Drivers-> Download drivers-> Graphics and Drivers- > Detonator 40-> [Choose OS]

http://www.ati.com For Those with Radeon cards.

So, hopefully, this will solve the basic OpenGL subsystem errors.

Shut yo face before I punch you in the mouth, break your teeth and call you Snaggle-tooth.
Andy867 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-08-2003, 08:05 AM   #2
Doingy

But what the heck should i do when i got a diffrent graphic card called SiS(kinda good but also no one knows it)
I am about to explode cause i cant figure out why this piece of junk demo(jk2) wont work....
your drivers didnt help me....
PLZ Could you find something else?
Doingy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-08-2003, 12:27 PM   #3
Andy867
McCan Caoma

What you should have done before downloading the demo was to check to see if your computer met the specifications of ALL the requirements for JK2. Because with the newer the games, the bigger the demand for high-performing video cards. And your SiS video card is probably an integrated one, (built onto the motherboard) which games like Q3 and Jedi Outcast give a run for their money. Jedi Outcast is a farily high maintanence game with graphics.

I know i've seen somewhere that will allow Jedi Outcast to run in D3D (Direct3D) and it having to do with some command parameter, but the command is escaping me.

Shut yo face before I punch you in the mouth, break your teeth and call you Snaggle-tooth.
Old 02-08-2003, 08:06 PM   #4
Doingy

so that means i cant play this rottn game with my damn Graphic card or what?...........i really hate my life....
Old 02-08-2003, 08:18 PM   #5
Andy867
McCan Caoma

Well, you still might be able to play, but there are no guarantees on how the game will look. Like I said, there is a way to get the game to run Direct3d, or at least that's what I've heard, but I personally do not know where this setting would be.

Old 02-08-2003, 08:24 PM   #6
Doingy

Well......if you dont know it....then who else could know this? and why the heck can i play Q3A and not Jk2.............THIS IS REALLY SCARY!
I am a Star Wars fan, but my damn Computer isnt one.......PIECE OF JUNK!!! REALLY!!!
Does someone out there know how to set there parameters or something....PLEASE!!! I BEG YOU!
Old 02-08-2003, 08:35 PM   #7
Doingy

hm....
God hates me.....
I can play almost EVERY Q3 engine game.....but only JK2 wont work........
you know Star Trek Voyager? its based on Q3A too and i play it the whole day long....But this Goddamn Graphic card is driving me crazy........i hate my life no kidding
Old 02-22-2003, 06:48 PM   #8
T-Jay2k2

Ummm andy thats fine and dandy and all but 1 prob. What u just said is straight common sense. I came to this forum becuz i reformatted my comp and now opengl won't work. I went to www.ati.com cuz i have Rage 128 pro to install the newest display driver but it says its not compatible with my display adaptor which is impossible. What do i do now einstein I'm stuck with diablo2 L.O.D. untill you can help me.
T-Jay2k2 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-22-2003, 08:33 PM   #9
T-Jay2k2

I figured it out on my own. If the new driver won't install it may be because you video card came with you comp. and if that is so you will have to download the driver directly from the manufacturer for example dell.
T-Jay2k2 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-23-2003, 08:27 AM   #10
ricky13

Unhappy Dont understand

Dont understand an word what u guys saying i dont know what driver i have how do u know what driver u have. And can u gimme an link for the driver Exact so i can download. THX THX THX
ricky13 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-24-2003, 02:05 PM   #11
Failaquen

Angry

ok... just trying to clarify, I've got the most recent drivers from Nvidia, (41.09) and I'm still getting the message that prompted this thread. Should I back my drivers down? or should I just give up? a prompt answer would be nice, but I understand if one can not be given (seeing as how there are several who have moved on to bigger games)
Failaquen is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-24-2003, 03:08 PM   #12
Failaquen

Question Still get error messages using both newest and "suggested" drivers

Quote:
JK2MP: v1.02a win-x86 Mar 3 2002
Initialising zone memory .....
----- FS_Startup -----
Current search path:
C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast\GameData\base\yoda_ghost.pk3 (37 files)
C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast\GameData\base\Warrior_blade_of_Hades.pk3 (17 files)
C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast\GameData\base\JediMoves20.pk3 (5 files)
C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast\GameData\base\assets1.pk3 (8011 files)
C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast\GameData\base\assets0.pk3 (6674 files)
C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast\GameData/base

----------------------
14744 files in pk3 files
execing mpdefault.cfg
couldn't exec jk2mpconfig.cfg
couldn't exec autoexec.cfg
Hunk_Clear: reset the hunk ok
...detecting CPU, found AMD w/ 3DNow!

------- Input Initialization -------
Skipping check for DirectInput
Joystick is not active.
------------------------------------
----- Client Initialization -----
----- Initializing Renderer ----
-------------------------------
----- Client Initialization Complete -----
----- R_Init -----
Initializing OpenGL subsystem
...initializing QGL
...calling LoadLibrary( 'C:\WINDOWS\System32\opengl32.dll' ): succeeded
...using desktop display depth of 32
...registered window class
...GLW_ChoosePFD( 32, 24, 8 )
...23 PFDs found
...GLW_ChoosePFD failed
...GLW_ChoosePFD( 32, 24, 0 )
...23 PFDs found
...GLW_ChoosePFD failed
...using colorsbits of 16
...23 PFDs found
...GLW_ChoosePFD failed
...23 PFDs found
...GLW_ChoosePFD failed
...shutting down QGL
...unloading OpenGL DLL
----- CL_Shutdown -----
RE_Shutdown( 1 )
-----------------------
GLW_StartOpenGL() - could not load OpenGL subsystem
and thats after backing down the drivers any suggestions now?
Failaquen is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-24-2003, 06:30 PM   #13
fbg111

Already have the most up-to-date drivers installed on my rig - Athlon XP 1800 + Abit NF7-S NForce2 + GeForce2 GTS - and still getting that OGL error. Any other ideas?

EDIT: Fixed it. My problem apparently is that I was running the Nvidia Nforce2 drivers, but not the 41.09 Detonator drivers. The Nforce2 drivers recognized my GF2 GTS in the Display Control Panel, but must not have included the OGL support like the Detonators do. I just took a wild guess and installed the 41.09 Detonator drivers on top of the Nforce2 drivers, and that got it working. I didn't uninstall the Nforce2 drivers, despite being warned by the Detonator Setup program that could cause problems, I just installed Detonator right on top of Nforce2. No problems yet, and the game works.

Hope this is helpful to others.

He who fights with monsters should look to it that he does not become a monster himself. For when you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you. - Nietzche

Last edited by fbg111; 03-24-2003 at 07:02 PM.
fbg111 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-02-2003, 06:52 AM   #14
qwerty52

I have finally found the solution to all this

After hours of search on the net, trying all sorts of drivers the game finally starts normally.

I am now playing JKII on a 3 years old laptop (Compaq Presario 1200XL109) which has a Trident CyberBlade i7 with 8MB memory (shared with RAM!!!) by disabling most of the visual effects (which doesn't bother me).

This graphic card has only OpenGL support in windows98 but now I can fully use it under Windows XP Pro.

I haven't advanced single player mode a lot (and I guess that it would get somewhat slow at later larger stages) but for now I am very happy that I can play multiplayer without a glitch

Enough babbling, on with the essential steps :

1. As others have already stated : Find the most updated drivers for your graphic card. This should eliminate all problems with OpenGL.

2. If you have an old (and probably obsolete) graphic card, download GLDirect from

www.scitechsoft.com/ftp/gld/gldirect-3.0.0.exe (21 days shareware )

Install it. Go to the control panel and click on SciTech GLDirect.

On the Main tab, under Set Rendering Options choose "Maximum Performance (Use SciTech GLDirect GAME Driver)", then under it Hardware (Direct3D Hardware Acceleration). Make sure your "Select Display Device" is correct.

Under the Advanced tab, you should only tick on "Always Blit (primary only)" and "Enable Mipmapping". You should experiment with turning these on and off (not necessarily simultaneously) and see what works best for you.

That's all folks

I really hope that this works for other people too. Those especially with Voodoo cards who seem to have the most problems.
qwerty52 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-10-2003, 05:59 PM   #15
TrUnKs69

Hey qwerty52
i went to look for other GlDirect downloads which werent going to be shareware but it kept puting up some Scitech GLDirect.wats the difference between them both???

The Little Green Man With The Little Green Leaves
TrUnKs69 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-16-2003, 07:16 PM   #16
N3mesis

I´ve recently had the "GLW_StartOpenGL() - could not load OpenGL subsystem" problem, updating my videocard drivers did not help after a while i discovered that I had another porgram that was causing this, it was MatLab , i just closed the matlab.exe and matlabserver that were in the taskmanager and it solve the problem.
N3mesis is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-16-2003, 07:34 PM   #17
Martin Oxby

There are two solutions to this problem.

1. GLDirect - works fine imitating OpenGL, but after 21 days you have to pay and it may slow your gaming down

2. Update your display adapters as one helpful soul suggested I do. Display upgrades should be free and will solve almost every OpenGL crisis.

http://www.video-drivers.com/

Works wonders

MTFBWY

AKA Cor-Jhan Arcturus
The Holocron Chat Network
http://www.the-holocron.net
Martin Oxby is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-23-2003, 05:15 PM   #18
KaBuTaR

Actually GLDirect didn't work for me either, and neither did driver updates.

Seems like I'm doomed never to be able to play this damn game... :cry:
KaBuTaR is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-23-2003, 06:04 PM   #19
Andy867
McCan Caoma

What are your system specs, and what video card do you have?

Old 04-23-2003, 06:08 PM   #20
KaBuTaR

sys specs:

PII 350
192 MB RAM
Win XP Pro

card:

voodoo3 2000 PCI

I actually made a topic concerning my probs in more detail a but further down on the forum - it's called 'voodoo 3 issues'

I have tried all the fixes in the other sticky, btw - wickedGL and everything. :P

thanks
Old 04-23-2003, 06:16 PM   #21
Andy867
McCan Caoma

I heard if you renamed jk2sp.exe to quake3.exe or something like that, WickedGL would be able to install the necessary components to get GL working for the Voodoo3 series. But even if you could get it working, the game would be running extremely slow because of the processor and the video card.

Old 04-23-2003, 06:19 PM   #22
KaBuTaR

I did actually try that. WickedGL installed the opengl32.dll file to the gamedata folder however this dll file was actually older than the one that I already have with WinXP. Needless to say, it didn't work. Maybe it was the fact that I couldn't find a new version of wickedGL and was using a circa 2000 build?
Old 05-04-2003, 07:10 PM   #23
Tiberius

Hi.

I have a

P4
2.2 GHz
some kind of Nvidia graphics card

anyway, I had this error when I first tried JKII and I installed the detonator and everything worked beautifully. Anyway, a little while ago I decided I wasn't playing it anymore and uninstalled it. Of course now I really want to play again, and I'm getting the openGL error.

Well, I tried installing the new detonator and it doesn't work.

I only read the first page, I hope that you guys haven't answered this problem 10 times already.
Tiberius is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-02-2003, 01:23 AM   #24
DarthJMG2003

me too

I have the same problem,the firts time that I installed the game didn´t have a problem, I uninstalled it and reinstalled everytime I want, the game never showed a problem and 1 year later the game start to show this error.
DarthJMG2003 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-06-2003, 07:37 AM   #25
god_among_men

Angry COMPUTER do you WANT TO FLY OUT THE WINDOW!!!, superman wannabe

i have updated my card and still have probs my friend now says i ned patches or sumit is this true if so why??

does everyone run the game in safe mode and do i need to change my ares from local to national, my friend is making me angry
god_among_men is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-30-2003, 03:03 PM   #26
legameboy
Pirate Flavored

I tried to update my driver but it says a major woraning like: This could mess up your computer real bad if it doesn't work.
legameboy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-30-2003, 05:00 PM   #27
Andy867
McCan Caoma

That warning probably is the digital signing warning that appears that says that this device has not been digitally signed by Microsoft Corp. and may cause problems and instability in your system. And it gives 2 options, Continue Anyways or Stop the Installation (or something to that effect)

All it means is that Microsoft has not certified that version of drivers as of yet as being 100% without-a-doubt compatible... But if you downloaded the right version for your video card, you will be fine by selecting Continue Anyways (guessing that you are running XP probably)

Old 07-14-2003, 12:51 AM   #28
AngryCookieman

I was having problems with this game with the latest drivers from nvidia. I installed the 44.03 whql certified driver from last november and it fixed all my problems. Note that the newest drivers are whql certified for the fx line, not the geforce, even though they are listed for both. Hope this helps.

P.S. I have a gf2 gts/pro. I had extreme choppiness in the in game menu and loading problems with the newer drivers.
AngryCookieman is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-14-2003, 01:54 AM   #29
Andy867
McCan Caoma

What are your system specs besides the video card? The choppiness could be the CPU, RAM, Swap File... any # of things can cause it.. Maxing out the graphic details.

Old 07-14-2003, 02:06 AM   #30
AngryCookieman

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear. The older drivers fixed everything, including the choppiness in the menus. I can now run the game at highest detail settings so long as I keep the resolution at 800X600. Haven't tried 1024X768 but I dought that it will run it with quality setting due to the gf2. My 9500pro will arrive tomorrow though, so that will change.
Old 07-14-2003, 03:00 AM   #31
Andy867
McCan Caoma

make sure to remove the old drivers before even installing the video card into the machine, or it will cause problems.

Old 07-14-2003, 10:24 AM   #32
AngryCookieman

I will, I read your advice about regcleaner so I downloaded it and tried it out. It's a great program. I have heard that ati reccomends that you use the power plug going to a hard drive for the card, but I have an extra plug not in use. Don't you think it would be better to use the spare one?
Old 08-15-2003, 04:34 PM   #33
JRL3001

Well...I am having this problem after fresh reformatting my system (got that fricken windows blast worm grrr) Anyways, before I reformatted I could play JK II just fine now I get this OpenGL problem.

I have an RAGE 128 PRO Ultra GL

I cant just go update my drivers though, I have a newer driver set than what ATI has available to download on their website.

Mine is version 6.13.10.5019 and the one available on ATI's site is version 6.13.3279

I have tried GLDirect, but it slow's the game incredibly. Anyone have any suggestuions on a course of action?

my system specs;

Dell Dimension 4400
P4 1.6Ghz
128MB DDR RAM
20GB HD
40GB HD
RAGE 128 PRO Ultra GL AGP
40x CDRW

Then Fëanor swore a terrible oath. His seven sons leapt straightway to his side and took the selfsame vow together, and red as blood shone their drawn swords in the glare of torches. They swore an oath which none shall break, and none should take, by the name even of Ilúvitar, calling the everlasting Dark upon them if they kept it not; and Manwë they named in witness, and Varda, and the hallowed mountain of Taniquetil, vowing to persue with vengeance and hatred to the ends of the World Varda, Demon, Elf or Man as yet unbord, or any creature, great or small, good or evil, that time should bring forth unto the end of days, whoso should hold or take or keep a Silmaril from their possession." -The Silmarillion
JRL3001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-15-2003, 04:47 PM   #34
Andy867
McCan Caoma

you still may want to try the ATI's listed drivers since they may contain the OpenGL system instructions that will allow you to play JO.

Old 08-15-2003, 07:51 PM   #35
JRL3001

That's true.

Just a pain in the neck to download a 9 meg file when one only has a 56k modem

Then Fëanor swore a terrible oath. His seven sons leapt straightway to his side and took the selfsame vow together, and red as blood shone their drawn swords in the glare of torches. They swore an oath which none shall break, and none should take, by the name even of Ilúvitar, calling the everlasting Dark upon them if they kept it not; and Manwë they named in witness, and Varda, and the hallowed mountain of Taniquetil, vowing to persue with vengeance and hatred to the ends of the World Varda, Demon, Elf or Man as yet unbord, or any creature, great or small, good or evil, that time should bring forth unto the end of days, whoso should hold or take or keep a Silmaril from their possession." -The Silmarillion
JRL3001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-15-2003, 09:19 PM   #36
Andy867
McCan Caoma

Try using a download manager like Download Accelerator which helps to improve download speeds, even on a 56k dial-up, and most of the time, allows users to resume their downloads which is convenient especially for our dial-up users.

Old 08-16-2003, 07:32 PM   #37
celadon
Lurker

Quote:
Originally posted by KaBuTaR
Actually GLDirect didn't work for me either, and neither did driver updates.

Seems like I'm doomed never to be able to play this damn game... :cry:
I had the same problem with my video card, updated drivers
and all worked fine, until I downoaded some updates from
microsoft, then i get error message.
I uninstalled, then re-installed game, and all ok,
Hope this helps
celadon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-12-2003, 02:51 AM   #38
big-cross
Rookie

Lightbulb had that problem with a Nvidia card

go to nividia and dl the update driver that help me

p.s try directx update too
big-cross is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-10-2003, 07:37 AM   #39
jedirulezzz
Lurker

Exclamation got problems too

i got problems too with jk2. my pc is
  • 450 MHz
  • Windows XP pro
  • 128 MB RAM
  • NVidia Riva TNT2 videocard
  • some soundcard don't know which one (isn't the problem )
  • Harddisk C: 3,26 GB
  • Harddisk D (JK2 is on this disk): 2,73 GB
i want the game work good not bad
ow yeah, i've downloaded a driver already on nvidia.com, but my brother is the administrator on my pc ( not fun) but he don't want to install the driver. he says it's a bad one, but it isn't because i used it earlier! i need to know his password .

Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast is the best game I know!
jedirulezzz is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-19-2003, 04:37 AM   #40
DarthJMG2003

Re: got problems too

Quote:
Originally posted by jedirulezzz
i got problems too with jk2. my pc is
  • 450 MHz
  • Windows XP pro
  • 128 MB RAM
  • NVidia Riva TNT2 videocard
  • some soundcard don't know which one (isn't the problem )
  • Harddisk C: 3,26 GB
  • Harddisk D (JK2 is on this disk): 2,73 GB
i want the game work good not bad
ow yeah, i've downloaded a driver already on nvidia.com, but my brother is the administrator on my pc ( not fun) but he don't want to install the driver. he says it's a bad one, but it isn't because i used it earlier! i need to know his password .
Well i install the driver of NVIDIA and it worked well, my video card is NVidia Riva TNT2 too, and the game runs better.
DarthJMG2003 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Help Center > Technical Help > ** OPENGL / VIDEO CARD PROBLEMS, LOOK HERE!**