lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Grim launcher issue
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 02-18-2009, 12:22 PM   #1
coldwater
Lurker

Grim launcher issue

My disc drive broke a few months back and i havent been able to put any discs in it. I've gotten back into playin adventure games a little while ago, and I wanted to play Grim fandango again after finding a launcher. I can get the files for the game by copying them onto a different comp then copying them to this computer, but that doesnt work for playing the game (NO, i did not download this game. my disc drive is seriously broke. i'd stab anyone who did download this game).

Anyways i was wondering if theres anyway to run the game without putting in the disc? or is this just a way to stop pirates from playing the game?
coldwater is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-18-2009, 09:51 PM   #2
Redhouse
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwater View Post
My disc drive broke a few months back and i havent been able to put any discs in it. I've gotten back into playin adventure games a little while ago, and I wanted to play Grim fandango again after finding a launcher. I can get the files for the game by copying them onto a different comp then copying them to this computer, but that doesnt work for playing the game (NO, i did not download this game. my disc drive is seriously broke. i'd stab anyone who did download this game).

Anyways i was wondering if theres anyway to run the game without putting in the disc? or is this just a way to stop pirates from playing the game?
Check out this post : http://www.lucasforums.com/showpost....7&postcount=34

Use the setup utility to install the game on a good machine. Once done you'll have to copy that directory of files, and also the registry keys over. I believe there is only one place in the registry to copy. The setup utility installs the game so you don't need to use a drive.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\LucasArts Entertainment Company LLC\Grim Fandango\v1.0
In the registry you can go to this 'directory' and export it as a .reg file that you can run on the destination machine to install the same info. Make sure the directories you transplant the files to match.

Alternatively you can make a disc iso of your game discs and use a disc emulator like alcohol 120% or daemon tools to make your isos appear as a disc to your computer. From there it will behave as it were in a cd drive.
Redhouse is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Grim Fandango Discussion > General Forums > Glottis' Garage > Grim launcher issue