lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Was anyone else disappointed by TFU?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 11-28-2008, 03:46 PM   #1
M@RS
The New Tax Collector

Was anyone else disappointed by TFU?

I finally played it today, and I don't see why I was so excited to play it... I played on the Wii and I thought the graphics and game-play, kinda sucked... Now game-play varies between consoles, sooo... Is there any difference in graphics between the Wii and PS3/Xbox 360?

Looks like a fruit cake to me. - Brutus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q View Post
I don't want to get my hopes up, but it's like the planets are aligning or something.
M@RS is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-28-2008, 05:57 PM   #2
Rinku
kad'la tracinya be abiik

Current Game: SWBF, Pokemon SS
PS3 and Xbox 360 look amazing compared to the Wii (but on my HD-tv we have s-video and it looks better then all the screen pics) Wii has really no replay value though. Don't know about the other systems.

Rinku is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-28-2008, 08:04 PM   #3
Rev7
I'm a Mage

Current Game: CoD 5 WaW; Skate 2
Helpful! 
There is a huge difference in the graphics! The PS3 and Xbox's graphics a a heck of a lot better than the Wii's. Gameplay does differ--I have both the PS2 and Xbox 360 console versions and I honestly like the Xbox 360 one a lot better. Graphics, how you control the character. Great. Trust me, play it on the 360 or PS3 and you will like it a lot more.

However, I am a little bit dissappointed with the game in the sense that I think that it was over-hyped a little bit. I got my hopes up and the game never reached (or got close) to what I originally thought that it would be. It really doesn't have any replay value at all on the PS2/Xbox 360. There is not much customization either. The story was okay, full of twist and suspenseful, but I honestly think that it could be a little bit longer. Cutscenes were great.

Overall, the game was good, it just didn't live up to my expectations.

Rev7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-29-2008, 07:46 PM   #4
M@RS
The New Tax Collector

Sounds like the rest of the Lucasarts games... Too much hype not enough game...

Quote:
I don't want to get my hopes up, but it's like the planets are aligning or something.
Old 11-29-2008, 07:49 PM   #5
Son of Skywalker15
Rookie

It was good enough--I try to be realistic about what one company can do with their first next-gen project and I came out happy

Founder & PR of EUCantina.net -- All Expanded Universe, all the time
Son of Skywalker15 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-29-2008, 07:54 PM   #6
M@RS
The New Tax Collector

At least one of us is...

Quote:
Old 11-30-2008, 05:32 AM   #7
Zwier Zak

TFU sucks. So much hope... nothing to play.
Zwier Zak is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-30-2008, 10:55 AM   #8
Jeff
Rating: Awesome

Current Game: SWTOR
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
Obviously there was a ton of hype surrounding the game and while I was partly disappointed, part of me wasn't because I knew that it wouldn't be as good as they made it out to be, but the other part wanted to think that it would be great (always the optimist for Star Wars). I played it on Wii btw, and even with the duel mode I have not played it since beating the game and playing duel mode once.

Follow me on Twitter
Follow StarWarsMMO.net on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
Jeff is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-02-2008, 12:19 AM   #9
M@RS
The New Tax Collector

Huh, never thought about it quite like that...

Quote:
Old 12-02-2008, 05:20 AM   #10
Zayne Carrick
Rookie

I bought this game and played it, and let me tell you I was very upset!

For one it was too short!
Before it was released I read that the game was to cover the course of several years. (yeah right)
Plus it made Vader look like a wuss!!!

I have even read that there is going to be a sequel!
Zayne Carrick is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-03-2008, 09:58 PM   #11
Chevron 7 locke
Peace and Sanity

Current Game: The Old Republic
Roleplayer Forum Veteran 
Nope.I loved the game. the characters were good, the storyline was amazing, the graphics were great, and it had the classic you can go lightside or darkside ending that made the game complete in my opinion
Chevron 7 locke is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-03-2008, 10:19 PM   #12
Darth_Yuthura
Banned

Current Game: KOTOR III
TFU was wasted on ONLY the game consoles and no means to modify the game. There was replay value in Jedi Knight because files could be added, changed, modified. There is almost nothing that can make one run-through any different from the one before, except difficulty levels. The PS2 ended at that, but Xbox 360, Wii, and PS3 had dual mode... a little extra.
Darth_Yuthura is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-09-2008, 11:21 AM   #13
Zwier Zak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Radic View Post
Plus it made Vader look like a wuss!!!
So true

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Radic View Post
I have even read that there is going to be a sequel!
I don't think so. The game may have sold well but is geting midicore reviews. Also a lot of SW wans were quite disappointed by TFU so a sequel would sell less. Lucasarts left a big hole in the PC market after relacing the new games only for consoles. If they don't releace a game for pc soon some of the old gamers may lose intrest in SW games at all.
Zwier Zak is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-12-2008, 10:20 PM   #14
Da_Man_2423
Forumite

Current Game: NCAA Football 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwier Zak View Post
If they don't releace a game for pc soon some of the old gamers may lose intrest in SW games at all.
I highly doubt that. Star Wars is way too big a franchise for many fans to simply "lose interest" because one mediocre game wasn't released for the PC. I'm sure a few fans have already lost some interest, but not enough for LA to get concerned about it.

Da_Man_2423 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-13-2008, 01:16 AM   #15
LordOfTheFish

Current Game: Tomb Raider
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Man_2423 View Post
I highly doubt that. Star Wars is way too big a franchise for many fans to simply "lose interest" because one mediocre game wasn't released for the PC. I'm sure a few fans have already lost some interest, but not enough for LA to get concerned about it.
TOR, FTW.

LordOfTheFish is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-15-2008, 12:02 AM   #16
Rabish Bini
Sydney Roosters Genius

Current Game: KotOR III
Q: Was anyone else disappointed by TFU?

A: More people than you could imagine

Yes
Rabish Bini is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-01-2009, 01:43 PM   #17
Capisdead
Rookie

While the game has flaws , I for one found the game very fun and enjoyable. Is the game worth 60 bucks, not sure, but it's a lot better than other games on the market right now.
Capisdead is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-01-2009, 08:27 PM   #18
LordOfTheFish

Forum Veteran 
I enjoyed it as well. It definitely could have been done better though.

Old 01-02-2009, 08:39 AM   #19
Jason Skywalker
Fight da Powah

Current Game: SMT: Imagine
I liked it but it was very overhyped. It would have been better if the main project was a movie and all the rest of the TFU project still existed with the game being a "side dish" with the movie being "the main course", IMO.
Jason Skywalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-02-2009, 07:00 PM   #20
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
Hell yeah, I got disappointed. I wasn't expecing for anything good, but the game turned out to be mediocre. Both my PS2 and 360 copies stand still, collecting dust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Yuthura View Post
The PS2 ended at that, but Xbox 360, Wii, and PS3 had dual mode... a little extra.
FYI, only the Wii got the Duel Mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev7 View Post
It really doesn't have any replay value at all on the PS2/Xbox 360. There is not much customization either.
A fact that I use to convince myself that I have absolute reason to not like TFU is exactly that. It has no replay value, but so did other similar - but awesome - games, such as God of War or any Devil May Cry. I played them over and over again even if most things stayed the same.

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-14-2009, 05:37 PM   #21
TimbukTurnip
Rookie

It was over hyped, but still more disappointing than i thought it would be.
It just gets repetitive really, at least for me anyway, and its more arcadey than i was willing to allow.
And the only real show of DMM is in the prologue, after that theres some doors and some random girders or something in raxus prime
thats about it.

However, i do very much like the story of it, and i think the light side cannon ending is great.

TimbukTurnip is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-14-2009, 05:41 PM   #22
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

Forum Veteran The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
The graphic Novel was ok

adamqd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-08-2009, 11:25 AM   #23
starwind40
Rookie

I have heard a lot of negativity about this game, but one has to wonder..........why? I was excited for the game and when it came out (I have the 360 version) I thought it was great. The only real issue I saw was that the targeter was a bit twitchy in a boss fight, so when you would go to grab something you might not get it on the first try, but that is a minor issue. The thing is, the game is solid from a GAME perspective, I agree with a lot of the comments on here that the game is better than many that have been released.

M@RS: no offense, but just about every game on the Wii has bad graffix. the Wii is basically a Gamecube with motion control. now relax, I'm not starting a fanboy console war. just seemed a little silly to stack up the Wii against 360 and PS3 on graffix. I have a Wii and it is fun to lay, but doesn't feel "next-gen".

anyway, I hope people don't dog on it too much that they don't make another game like this. it doesn't have to be a TFU sequel but the way they have given you the ability to use the force is amazing. Much better than the combat style of KOTOR (awesome scope of a game though) but c'mon TFU makes you feel like you are actually participating in the fight and have a lot of ways of killing your opponents. (I figured out it was easier to throw those jumptoopers into the elevator with me so I could kill him on the ground one on one since they can handle multiple lightning bombs and keep coming back to life) The game offers a lot of flexibility in how to get through waves of fighters, but it seems like a lot of the players want more that NO game is able to really offer just yet. maybe The Old Republic (that bioware game that has been teased) could be KOTOR with TFU combat....freakin sweet!!

and I don't really care about PC that much, I will be honest about that. I used to be, but got tired of having to spend $$$ on new components to run new games, I like to be able to just buy the game, pop it in and play it as it is intended, not have to dumb-down the graffix so it will run on my PC. but that is obviously a total personal opinion.

on a side note,Think about GTA4. Yeah it has way better graphix and pretty good story, but when I bought it, I thought.... OK I'm playing GTA again, big woop. because at this point I had sunk millions of hours into playing GTA3, vice city and san andreas...........and yet it was the game of the year for so many publications and awards, and sold ridiculous amounts. It didn't really do anything new. (same could be said for the Madden games) Now people can like whatever they want, that's cool. but to dog on TFU, I think is a bit misplaced. LA has drastically changed the way you can fight in a star wars game.....and for the better.

Instead of saying the game could be better, be more specific. As in what would you like to see in the sequel.

Alright now, only your hatred can destroy me!
starwind40 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-08-2009, 11:54 AM   #24
GeneralPloKoon
Just a Time Traveller

Current Game: Borderlands (PS3)
Well the game was too short for all the hype it gained, and no multiplayer on the 360/PS3 versions, really?! Usually any Wii game not made by Nintendo has crappy graphics.
GeneralPloKoon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-03-2009, 11:04 AM   #25
ZimmMaster
Forumite

Helpful! Veteran Modder 
I have the wii version. I was dissapointed by the gameplay, and graphics. My opinion is that the Xbox 360 is the one to play.

~ I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
ZimmMaster is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-07-2009, 02:36 AM   #26
swaaye

Quote:
Originally Posted by starwind40 View Post
...but c'mon TFU makes you feel like you are actually participating in the fight and have a lot of ways of killing your opponents.
Jedi Knight 2 and Jedi Academy really did it better though. I just did not like TFU's gameplay or controls. I'm glad I don't own it. Played a friend's copy.

TFU actually reminded me a lot of the Super Star Wars games. It has similar missions really, and gameplay mechanics in many ways. I'm not really looking for more of that kind of shallow arcade-like play. I greatly preferred the Jedi Knight games to what TFU offers.

Would much rather have seen LucasArts make Imperial Commando. Too bad it would've been more prequel era stuff though.
swaaye is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-07-2009, 11:18 AM   #27
GeneralPloKoon
Just a Time Traveller

If a sequel is made to TFU, they are going to need a huge load of content instead of 7hour gameplay.
Old 03-07-2009, 02:33 PM   #28
Zerimar Nyliram

Forum Veteran 
Not one bit. It gave me everything I was expecting: an enjoyable little adventure with fun gameplay, amazing graphics and imaginative and unorthodox functionality. I never expected a phenomenal story akin to the movies themselves, as LucasArts and Lucas Film attempted to make us believe during the marketing process.

I think anyone who played the game with such high expectations were in for a disappointment, really. I had high expectations as far as gameplay went, and they were fulfilled; but as far as the story and characters were concerned, I wasn't expecting much. Thus, I was not disappointed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a silly noob View Post
YOURS VERY SLOW ! PLS NEW PROGRESSS PLS NEW UPDATES PLS DARK FORCES FİNAL VERSİON İ CAN WAİTİNG KOTF PART 1 RELEASED 5 YEAR AND İTS 1 MAN ( OSMAN GUNYAZ DEVELOPERS ) BUT YOURS VERY PEOPLE İ CANT WAİTİNG 5 YEARS
Zerimar Nyliram is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-08-2009, 07:38 PM   #29
LordOfTheFish

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralPloKoon View Post
If a sequel is made to TFU, they are going to need a huge load of content instead of 7hour gameplay.
QFT. The one of the major let downs TFU had.

Old 03-11-2009, 11:56 PM   #30
Lord of Destruction
Rookie

Current Game: TSL
yeah it was good the first day i played it but after that day it kept going down and down on the cool meter and very bad graphics

Bow down to the Lord of Destruction May the force serves you well.
Lord of Destruction is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-12-2009, 07:50 AM   #31
SW01
3 Years in the Lurk

Current Game: Real Life
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Destruction View Post
very bad graphics
A criticism I have rarely heard of TFU! I am curious as to which console you are using, as I for one was astounded by the next-gen graphics. Last-gen, well, you can only expect so much. PSP, well you must expect awful graphics!

SW01 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-12-2009, 09:45 AM   #32
Jeff
Rating: Awesome

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
Yeah, which console did you play on LoD? On 360/PS3 I think the graphics are phenomenal, but on Wii the graphics are extremely disappointing, I would go as far as to compare them to early PS2/Xbox titles.

Follow me on Twitter
Follow StarWarsMMO.net on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
Jeff is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-12-2009, 10:01 AM   #33
Lord of Destruction
Rookie

Current Game: TSL
Wii

but a saw all the commercials on TV i thought that it would have better graphics. I've actually seen better in different games

Bow down to the Lord of Destruction May the force serves you well.

Last edited by Lord of Destruction; 03-12-2009 at 10:13 AM.
Lord of Destruction is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-12-2009, 11:27 PM   #34
On_Your_Six
Rookie

Finally got around to playing it myself (360 version), it was probably good that I played it around this time, after I heard everyones opinion on this (somewhat) lackluster entry into Star Wars gaming, however, and this doesn't apply to Wii.

Does anyone else think this game could have been a hell of a lot better with the small addition of a crosshair (and slightly better camera)? I'm talking phenomenally better.

I was slightly disappointed with the saber system, but then again, I knew this wasn't a saber focused game, but with the crosshair it would have made utilizing the grip/throw/push so much better.

I can clarify at a later time if needs be.
On_Your_Six is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-13-2009, 12:52 AM   #35
SW01
3 Years in the Lurk

Quote:
Originally Posted by On_Your_Six
Does anyone else think this game could have been a hell of a lot better with the small addition of a crosshair (and slightly better camera)?
From an aesthetic standpoint - crosshair=no. However, there is no doubt that the camera could have tried to be the slightest bit more helpful at times...

Old 03-13-2009, 12:57 AM   #36
On_Your_Six
Rookie

Aesthetic? Care to elaborate on that note?

I just think it would have been nice to have been able to use a crosshair to specifically choose the targets you launched your attacks at rather then the sort of center the camera (or object) and hope for the best action that seemed to be the way the game worked.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:07 AM   #37
SW01
3 Years in the Lurk

Quote:
Originally Posted by On_Your_Six View Post
Aesthetic? Care to elaborate on that note?

I just think it would have been nice to have been able to use a crosshair to specifically choose the targets you launched your attacks at rather then the sort of center the camera (or object) and hope for the best action that seemed to be the way the game worked.
That's a fair - and actually quite a good - point you have. Thinking back on it, I rarely managed to pick up the object/person I wanted to. Hmm...

Anyway, by 'aesthetic' I merely meant that I don't really like having a crosshair in the middle of the screen unless it's really necessary for the likes of a shooter. I think it would spoil the 'atmosphere' of the game to some extent. Just a personal choice, at the end of it all.

Old 03-13-2009, 01:25 AM   #38
On_Your_Six
Rookie

Ah, see, that's the unfortunate part, this isn't exactly a shooter. I rather prefer to think of it as a showcase for the utilization of (intense degree) force powers, and I find without the ability to specifically direct them, a severe blow is made to the players interactivity with the environment and enemies.

The simple addition of a crosshair would greatly increase the players involvement in this game, and I think would have gone a long way toward allowing a feeling of control in the environments, as it stands it feels kind of like once you've gripped something you've got the proverbial blast shield down and can only hope for a best case scenario. I truly think this would have pushed an otherwise mediocre game (with great presentation) into a rather good game.

All I would have asked beyond this is about three missions as the Emperors Sith Stalker. That would have been solid.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:49 PM   #39
GeneralPloKoon
Just a Time Traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Moeller View Post
I would go as far as to compare them to early PS2/Xbox titles.
I'd go father, some early games had superb graphics better than the Wii.
Old 04-26-2009, 11:45 AM   #40
Crush1800
Rookie

I was dissapointed in the fact, at least in the wii version, when you play as a different character you dont get their lightsaber. It's kind of weird running around as darth maul with a single bladed lightsaber, even in duel mode. I was also dissapointed that the lightsaber was only able to be held backwards in the ps3 and 360 versions.
Crush1800 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Force Unleashed > General > The Secret Apprentice's Logs > Was anyone else disappointed by TFU?