Thread: Alex Freed on writing stories in the Star Wars Universe
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 12-05-2008, 05:00 PM   #1
News
starwarsmmo.net newsfeed

Lightbulb Alex Freed on writing stories in the Star Wars Universe

Senior Writer and Managing Editor Alex Freed talks about how the writing team for the Old Republic must utilize the existing Star Wars mythos, highlighting certain important features that must be considered when crafting the story for the Old Republic. He stresses the need to build on the movies as the ‘foundation’ and take on [...]

Read the full story at starwarsmmo.net...
News is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-05-2008, 05:55 PM   #2
Litofsky
Galaxial

I find it rather ironic that Bioware would need to come out and say "We need to stick to established canon," as opposed to just doing it. I realize that it's a relatively untouched area, and that only two games have preceded this game, but is Bioware so uniformed in the ways of Star Wars that they must say what they did?
Litofsky is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-05-2008, 05:57 PM   #3
Jeff
Rating: Awesome

Current Game: SWTOR
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litofsky View Post
I find it rather ironic that Bioware would need to come out and say "We need to stick to established canon," as opposed to just doing it. I realize that it's a relatively untouched area, and that only two games have preceded this game, but is Bioware so uniformed in the ways of Star Wars that they must say what they did?
I don't think so. I would say BioWare actually knows Star Wars best out of third party developers. Since this is a blog entry on their site it's more what the writer is thinking, not really an announcement.

Follow me on Twitter
Follow StarWarsMMO.net on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
Jeff is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-05-2008, 06:00 PM   #4
Litofsky
Galaxial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Moeller View Post
I don't think so. I would say BioWare actually knows Star Wars best out of third party developers. Since this is a blog entry on their site it's more what the writer is thinking, not really an announcement.
My apologies then: I was just saying that it seems odd for the writer to say "We need to stick to canon." I thought that was mandatory for most games?
Litofsky is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-05-2008, 06:57 PM   #5
Jeff
Rating: Awesome

Current Game: SWTOR
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
Yeah, I see where you're coming from. I know BioWare is working closely with LA to make sure their ideas fly with the established SW lore.

Follow me on Twitter
Follow StarWarsMMO.net on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
Jeff is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-06-2008, 04:15 AM   #6
Tommycat
>^..^<

Current Game: Real Life 1.0(BETA)
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litofsky View Post
My apologies then: I was just saying that it seems odd for the writer to say "We need to stick to canon." I thought that was mandatory for most games?
Well better than saying they intend to rewrite canon. I find it refreshing that they want to stick with the established canon. There are a lot of writers that ignore canon. Many game writers say forget canon and lets make this an addition to canon. SWG is an example of one that dropped a big ole steamer on canon.
Tommycat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Star Wars: The Old Republic MMO Forums > News > Republic Holonet > Alex Freed on writing stories in the Star Wars Universe