lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Mass Media's pathological hatred of Bush
Thread Tools Display Modes
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 12-22-2008, 07:46 PM   #1
GarfieldJL
Banned
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,856
Mass Media's pathological hatred of Bush

Okay, there was an article that New York Times took another shot at Bush.

New York Times Blames Housing Financial Crisis on Bush

They are referring to this article.

Newsbusters used among other sources:
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...=&pagewanted=1

And:

Quote:
The Bush administration today recommended the most significant regulatory overhaul in the housing finance industry since the savings and loan crisis a decade ago.

Under the plan, disclosed at a Congressional hearing today, a new agency would be created within the Treasury Department to assume supervision of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, the government-sponsored companies that are the two largest players in the mortgage lending industry. [...]

The plan is an acknowledgment by the administration that oversight of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac -- which together have issued more than $1.5 trillion in outstanding debt -- is broken. A report by outside investigators in July concluded that Freddie Mac manipulated its accounting to mislead investors, and critics have said Fannie Mae does not adequately hedge against rising interest rates.

''There is a general recognition that the supervisory system for housing-related government-sponsored enterprises neither has the tools, nor the stature, to deal effectively with the current size, complexity and importance of these enterprises,'' Treasury Secretary John W. Snow told the House Financial Services Committee in an appearance with Housing Secretary Mel Martinez, who also backed the plan.
-- New York Times, September 11, 2003

That is just one of several New York Times articles that contradict the new hit piece made by the New York Times.

Looks to me that this is latest attack by the New York Times is nothing more than a typical left-wing media smear job.
GarfieldJL is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-22-2008, 07:51 PM   #2
jrrtoken
Senior Member
 
jrrtoken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,995
Your point? All that I'm hearing is more liberal name-calling.
jrrtoken is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-22-2008, 07:54 PM   #3
jonathan7
Exiled Jedi...
 
jonathan7's Avatar
 
Status: Moderator
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ivory Tower
Posts: 3,676
Contest winner - Modding LFN Staff Member Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarfieldJL View Post
<snipped for brevity>
Bush, goes down in history as the worst president in history, even if the media has been biased, etc etc. That cannot change the above fact. Is America better or worse off due to Bush's Presidency? I don't see how anyone on review of the current situation can say America is better off...



"Love is the only reality and it is not a mere sentiment. It is the ultimate truth that lies at the heart of creation." - Rabindranath Tagore

"Many a doctrine is like a window pane. We see truth through it but it divides us from truth." - Kahlil Gibran
jonathan7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-22-2008, 07:58 PM   #4
Litofsky
Galaxial
 
Litofsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan7 View Post
Bush, goes down in history as the worst president in history, even if the media has been biased, etc etc. That cannot change the above fact. Is America better or worse off due to Bush's Presidency? I don't see how anyone on review of the current situation can say America is better off...
QFT.

Even if the Media has some liberal bias, if we compare the current state of America (under Bush) and the beginning of his term, America's in a pretty bad state. We're in two wars and a recession, as compared to the budget surplus that Clinton left us with.
Litofsky is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-22-2008, 08:27 PM   #5
GarfieldJL
Banned
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan7 View Post
Bush, goes down in history as the worst president in history, even if the media has been biased, etc etc. That cannot change the above fact. Is America better or worse off due to Bush's Presidency? I don't see how anyone on review of the current situation can say America is better off...
jonathan7, if you were alive during 1861-1865 you would say the same thing about Abraham Lincoln. I took a course concerning Constitutional History and my liberal professor pointed out the similarities. And Lincoln restricted rights more than President Bush.

Furthermore, these last few years we've seen journalism literally die in America. I'm not talking about bias, I'm talking about blatent dishonesty on the part of the media. I'm not accusing them of bias, I'm accusing them of journalistic fraud.
GarfieldJL is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-22-2008, 08:31 PM   #6
jonathan7
Exiled Jedi...
 
jonathan7's Avatar
 
Status: Moderator
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ivory Tower
Posts: 3,676
Contest winner - Modding LFN Staff Member Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarfieldJL View Post
jonathan7, if you were alive during 1861-1865 you would say the same thing about Abraham Lincoln. I took a course concerning Constitutional History and my liberal professor pointed out the similarities. And Lincoln restricted rights more than President Bush.
Lincoln, I trust as he has a brain and integrity - I know bush doesn't have much of the former, and I don't know enough about the man to comment on the latter. Further more I'd argue that Lincoln's war was a just war, where as I don't think you can call Iraq that (though Afghanistan is).

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarfieldJL View Post
Furthermore, these last few years we've seen journalism literally die in America. I'm not talking about bias, I'm talking about blatent dishonesty on the part of the media. I'm not accusing them of bias, I'm accusing them of journalistic fraud.
Well that's true, look at the build up to the Iraq war, I can't remember any descenting news reporting from the American media.



"Love is the only reality and it is not a mere sentiment. It is the ultimate truth that lies at the heart of creation." - Rabindranath Tagore

"Many a doctrine is like a window pane. We see truth through it but it divides us from truth." - Kahlil Gibran
jonathan7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-22-2008, 08:34 PM   #7
jrrtoken
Senior Member
 
jrrtoken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarfieldJL View Post
jonathan7, if you were alive during 1861-1865 you would say the same thing about Abraham Lincoln. I took a course concerning Constitutional History and my liberal professor pointed out the similarities. And Lincoln restricted rights more than President Bush.
lol, you're trying to compare Lincoln to Bush? They're complete opposites. Besides, that was the Civil War, where the conflicts took place on US soil. anyways, I'm still loling.
Quote:
Furthermore, these last few years we've seen journalism literally die in America. I'm not talking about bias, I'm talking about blatent dishonesty on the part of the media. I'm not accusing them of bias, I'm accusing them of journalistic fraud.
Welcome to America, journalism has been like that for decades. Ever heard of Pulitzer and Hearst?
jrrtoken is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-22-2008, 08:36 PM   #8
Adavardes
Junior Member
 
Adavardes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 476
Common sense =/= pathological.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan7
Bush, goes down in history as the worst president in history, even if the media has been biased, etc etc. That cannot change the above fact. Is America better or worse off due to Bush's Presidency? I don't see how anyone on review of the current situation can say America is better off...
Agreed, totally and completely. The man sank us into a war we really had no business starting, putting us trillions of dollars in debt, based on intelligence about WMDs that never existed. Period.

Not only that, but what has he been doing to stem the tide of this financial crisis? ****ting around and going to parties, football games, and unveiling a picture of himself. Please, if you do one thing, Garfield, do not try to convince me that Bush was worth those 8 years. Because he was horrible. Bar none.



It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built.
Adavardes is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-22-2008, 08:46 PM   #9
GarfieldJL
Banned
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan7 View Post
Lincoln, I trust as he has a brain and integrity - I know bush doesn't have much of the former, and I don't know enough about the man to comment on the latter. Further more I'd argue that Lincoln's war was a just war, where as I don't think you can call Iraq that (though Afghanistan is).
We can argue about Iraq till we're blue in the face, fact is the Iraq War was due to bad intelligence (and I would be willing to blame Cheney and Rumsfeld too). Pulling out of Iraq irresponsibly though only makes the situation worse.

Lincoln had a more stringent version of the patriot act, where he suspended habeous corpus.

Last edited by Jae Onasi; 12-22-2008 at 09:35 PM. Reason: Ayers stuff goes in the Ayers thread only.
GarfieldJL is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-22-2008, 08:52 PM   #10
ForeverNight
nrgurt researcher
 
ForeverNight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Minnesota, USA
Posts: 1,204
Current Game: q2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarfieldJL
Lincoln had a more stringent version of the patriot act, where he suspended habeous corpus.
Source

Quote:
The Privilege of the Writ of Habeas Corpus shall not be suspended, unless when in Cases of Rebellion or Invasion the public Safety may require it.
Read it. READ IT!!!!!

Habeas Corpus can be suspended when Invasion, Rebellion or Public Safety may require it.

It is NOT a right.

I don't care if you yell 'till you're blue in the face, it isn't a right, it's a privilege, and The Public Safety has been deemed in danger enough to warrant suspension.

So stop beating that war drum, I'm sick and tired of this always being brought up when it isn't an issue.

Note: This goes to both sides of the debate


ForeverNight is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-22-2008, 09:39 PM   #11
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem
 
Jae Onasi's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 10,912
Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Posts on Ayers were moved to the Ayers thread.. Please keep the Ayers love contained in that thread. Thanks.


From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-22-2008, 09:52 PM   #12
GarfieldJL
Banned
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Onasi View Post
Posts on Ayers were moved to the Ayers thread.. Please keep the Ayers love contained in that thread. Thanks.
Jae, I'm going to request you move those posts back, because I'm talking about the fact the New York Times wrote a sympathetic article towards the actions of a terrorist that got released on 9/11/2001, and that there was a huge public backlash that scared the mainstream media for about a year or so.

Request denied. Ayers posts stay in the Ayers thread. You are free to continue and/or rewrite the portions of posts that don't include Ayers here, however. PM either jonathan7 or me if you wish to discuss this further. --Jae

Last edited by Jae Onasi; 12-22-2008 at 10:50 PM.
GarfieldJL is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-22-2008, 10:47 PM   #13
Det. Bart Lasiter
obama.png
 
Det. Bart Lasiter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: `(•.°)~
Posts: 7,997
Current Game: all
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarfieldJL View Post
Jae, I'm going to request you move those posts back, because I'm talking about the fact the New York Times wrote a sympathetic article towards the actions of a terrorist that got released on 9/11/2001, and that there was a huge public backlash that scared the mainstream media for about a year or so.
Garfield I'm going to request that you stop dragging Obama and Ayers into everything in an attempt to smear anyone to the left of you politically (read: everyone).

On topic, Bush has been the worst president in US history, he's gotten us into an unjustified war, ruined the economy, and set back environmental policy by years.



"No, Mama. You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty whoever put that hit on you already got the cops in their back pocket." ~Black Dynamite
Det. Bart Lasiter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-22-2008, 11:19 PM   #14
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR
 
mimartin's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,049
Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
I actually find the charge that the media is the reason for President Bush's problems laughable.

I guess the American people are bias too, seeing how President Bush had the highest disapproval rating in the history of Gallup.

Let us also remember December 2003 when Bush had 63% the highest approval rating of any president since LBJ had a 74% at the end of 1963 (one month after the death of JFK). Seems the media was not too bias back in 2003.

I do not blame the media. I believe Clinton was bashed more by the media and leaks from the Kenneth Star investigation than George W Bush ever was. I believe all of the Bush administration problems are self-inflicted. If anything I blame the press and both the Democrats and the Republicans in Congress for not questioning Bush’s policies back when his approval rating were high and before over 4,000 American Military Personal were killed and over 30,000 wounded.

The only way I would put George Bush and Abraham Lincoln in the same sentence is it was on the U.S.S. Abraham Lincoln that George W Bush made one of biggest blunders when he told the American people “Mission Accomplished.” That was May 1, 2003. Seems his number stated going down after the American people figured out he was a little wrong with that assessment.

Last edited by mimartin; 12-22-2008 at 11:47 PM. Reason: delete extra words
mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-22-2008, 11:41 PM   #15
EnderWiggin
Sine Amore Nihil Est Vita
 
EnderWiggin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,395
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarfieldJL View Post
Okay, there was an article that New York Times took another shot at Bush.
Don't think that this is a pathological hatred, just a reporting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin View Post
I actually find the charge that the media is the reason for President Bush's problems laughable.

I guess the American people are bias too, seeing how President Bush had the highest disapproval rating in disapproval rating in the history of Gallup.

Let us also remember December 2003 when Bush had 63% the highest approval rating of any president since LBJ had a 74% at the end of 1963 (one month after the death of JFK). Seems the media was not too bias back in 2003.

I do not blame the media. I believe Clinton was bashed more by the media and leaks from the Kenneth Star investigation than George W Bush ever was. I believe all of the Bush administration problems are self-inflicted. If anything I blame the press and both the Democrats and the Republicans in Congress for not questioning Bush’s policies back when his approval rating were high and before over 4,000 American Military Personal were killed and over 30,000 wounded.

The only way I would put George Bush and Abraham Lincoln in the same sentence is it was on the U.S.S. Abraham Lincoln that George W Bush made one of biggest blunders when he told the American people “Mission Accomplished.” That was May 1, 2003. Seems his number stated going down after the American people figured out he was a little wrong with that assessment.
Thanks for this insight, mimartin. I just hope it was received by the parties who need it.

_EW_



Hello, Pot? This is Kettle. You're black. ~ Prime

Yes, I hate you.

J7 - thanks for accepting me as part of the 'family.'
EnderWiggin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-23-2008, 12:26 AM   #16
GarfieldJL
Banned
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,856
The situation is that the media was scared after the New York Times' 9/11/2001 fiasco in which the public reacted to their article's sympathy to a terrorist calling for a boycott of New York Times among other things.

Also to get to the MSNBC situation, there have been accusations that MSNBC gave Code Pink protesters their press passes so they could attempt to disrupt the Republican Convention and I do know that the Code Pink People did have press passes.

I'll try to find more sources but here is one: http://newsbusters.org/blogs/mark-fi...d-msnbc-badges
GarfieldJL is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-23-2008, 12:31 AM   #17
Adavardes
Junior Member
 
Adavardes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarfieldJL View Post
OH MY! NEWSBUSTERS! THAT MUST MAKE IT ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!




It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built.
Adavardes is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-23-2008, 12:55 AM   #18
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR
 
mimartin's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,049
Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adavardes View Post
OH MY! NEWSBUSTERS! THAT MUST MAKE IT ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!

Well Newsbusters once printed a blog that Santa Claus was not real when all the other pro-Santa media outlets pandered to those evil Santa believers. Yes the bloggers were right once and the real media outlets made a mistake, ergo Newsbuster is better than all media outlets. With the exception of Fox News that is allowed to make mistakes, because anytime they make a mistake it is due to the great mainstream media conspiracy.
mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-23-2008, 02:18 AM   #19
Achilles
Dapper Chimp
 
Achilles's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 8,204
Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin View Post
I actually find the charge that the media is the reason for President Bush's problems laughable.

I guess the American people are bias too, seeing how President Bush had the highest disapproval rating in the history of Gallup.

Let us also remember December 2003 when Bush had 63% the highest approval rating of any president since LBJ had a 74% at the end of 1963 (one month after the death of JFK). Seems the media was not too bias back in 2003.

I do not blame the media. I believe Clinton was bashed more by the media and leaks from the Kenneth Star investigation than George W Bush ever was. I believe all of the Bush administration problems are self-inflicted. If anything I blame the press and both the Democrats and the Republicans in Congress for not questioning Bush’s policies back when his approval rating were high and before over 4,000 American Military Personal were killed and over 30,000 wounded.

The only way I would put George Bush and Abraham Lincoln in the same sentence is it was on the U.S.S. Abraham Lincoln that George W Bush made one of biggest blunders when he told the American people “Mission Accomplished.” That was May 1, 2003. Seems his number stated going down after the American people figured out he was a little wrong with that assessment.
With 8 days left, I nominate this for Post of the Year.
Achilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-23-2008, 04:20 AM   #20
Q
The one who knocks
 
Q's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: ABQ
Posts: 6,643
Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
I would tend to agree with Garfield had I not watched an interview that with Katie Couric that Bush gave a couple of years ago. He looked right at her, with that stupid, smug smile on his face and said, point-blank, that "...it's not torture."

And I've despised the man ever since.

In all fairness it's not to say that the media and the Obama campaign haven't cultivated and then capitalized on all of the Bush-hate for their own purposes. They have, yes, but it's also not to say that Bush hasn't generously provided them with a ton of ammunition from the beginning.


"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-23-2008, 12:51 PM   #21
GarfieldJL
Banned
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderWiggin View Post
Don't think that this is a pathological hatred, just a reporting.
I suppose giving press passes to CODE PINK in order to disrupt the Republican convention is just reporting too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin
Well Newsbusters once printed a blog that Santa Claus was not real when all the other pro-Santa media outlets pandered to those evil Santa believers. Yes the bloggers were right once and the real media outlets made a mistake, ergo Newsbuster is better than all media outlets. With the exception of Fox News that is allowed to make mistakes, because anytime they make a mistake it is due to the great mainstream media conspiracy.
Okay I'm going to be blunt and tell you to source what you're saying, even Jae has pointed out that Fox News is on the up and up when they report the news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qliver
I would tend to agree with Garfield had I not watched an interview that with Katie Couric that Bush gave a couple of years ago. He looked right at her, with that stupid, smug smile on his face and said, point-blank, that "...it's not torture.".
Source please... Also an interesting side note CBS has a practice of only airing parts of interviews, we still have yet to see the full interview between Palin and Couric. We only saw the parts that CBS wanted the public to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qliver
In all fairness it's not to say that the media and the Obama campaign haven't cultivated and then capitalized on all of the Bush-hate for their own purposes. They have, yes, but it's also not to say that Bush hasn't generously provided them with a ton of ammunition from the beginning.
I suppose them wearing Obama shirts at the Democrat Convention and chanting his name is proper behavior for journalists.

Furthermore, anyone else remember Rathergate?
GarfieldJL is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-23-2008, 12:55 PM   #22
Astor
It's Thornhill!
 
Astor's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Warwickshire, UK
Posts: 3,632
Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarfieldJL View Post
Also an interesting side note CBS has a practice of only airing parts of interviews, we still have yet to see the full interview between Palin and Couric. We only saw the parts that CBS wanted the public to see.
Every news outlet does that, so I don't see why it's a crime for CBS to do it.

Quote:
Furthermore, anyone else remember Rathergate?
I wasn't aware there was a hotel called Rathergate. What happened there?






Astor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-23-2008, 12:56 PM   #23
jrrtoken
Senior Member
 
jrrtoken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,995
This is about Bush, not about Obama, okay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarfieldJL
Source please...
I believe that this is the one the Q was referencing to.
jrrtoken is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-23-2008, 12:58 PM   #24
Adavardes
Junior Member
 
Adavardes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarfieldJL View Post
I suppose giving press passes to CODE PINK in order to disrupt the Republican convention is just reporting too...
Source other than Newsbusters, please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarfieldJL
Okay I'm going to be blunt and tell you to source what you're saying, even Jae has pointed out that Fox News is on the up and up when they report the news.
He asked for sources on sarcasm.


Quote:
Originally Posted by GarfieldJL
Source please... Also an interesting side note CBS has a practice of only airing parts of interviews, we still have yet to see the full interview between Palin and Couric. We only saw the parts that CBS wanted the public to see.
New rule: unless you yourself have actually given sources that aren't completely hollow and baseless, or only present twisted truths to suit the conservative bias, you aren't allowed to ask for sources. Source for proof against CBS. No Newsbusters please.

While I appreciate your frustration with sourcing issues, we on the staff will set the rules. Thanks. --Jae

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarfieldJL
I suppose them wearing Obama shirts at the Democrat Convention and chanting his name is proper behavior for journalists.
Because liberal journalists show pride in their preferred candidate winning the presidential election, and it's immediately uncouth behavior for proper journalists, but Conservatives are allowed to belittle the man with absolutely no factual basis for argument, and for Fox News, which you seem particularly fond of, it is completely acceptable to pick constantly on the one Liberal voice on their station, Colmes, who is now retiring. No, seriously, they pick on him like snot-nosed toddlers, shining flashlights in his eyes, calling him names, etc. Tells you what kind of behavior conservatives expect from their journalists.



It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built.

Last edited by Jae Onasi; 12-23-2008 at 03:58 PM.
Adavardes is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-23-2008, 01:01 PM   #25
GarfieldJL
Banned
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astor_Kaine View Post
Every news outlet does that, so I don't see why it's a crime for CBS to do it.
It is when they are editting it to try to advance a political agenda. Furthermore, not every news station does it. Fox News only split up Bill O'Reilly's interviews with Hillary, Obama, and McCain on seperate nights because it wouldn't all fit in one show, but they aired the entire interview.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Astor_Kaine
I wasn't aware there was a hotel called Rathergate. What happened there?
It was a scandal that brought down CBS's host Dan Rather because he used fraudulent documents to try to smear President Bush during the 2004 election.
GarfieldJL is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-23-2008, 01:08 PM   #26
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR
 
mimartin's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,049
Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarfieldJL View Post
Okay I'm going to be blunt and tell you to source what you're saying, even Jae has pointed out that Fox News is on the up and up when they report the news.
Why? So that you can completely ignore them. Since I've already provide you with soures, that you completely ignored, I'll provide you with a link to that page to refreash your memory. http://www.lucasforums.com/showpost....06&postcount=5


http://www.lucasforums.com/showthrea...06#post2327306

I have no doubt that you will either completely ignore them again or try to change the subject by showing how CBC, MSNBC, ABC, NBC, BBC... or some other media outlet made a mistake. They are all bias including Fox News.

Last edited by mimartin; 12-23-2008 at 01:33 PM.
mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-23-2008, 01:09 PM   #27
jrrtoken
Senior Member
 
jrrtoken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarfieldJL View Post
It is when they are editting it to try to advance a political agenda. Furthermore, not every news station does it. Fox News only split up Bill O'Reilly's interviews with Hillary, Obama, and McCain on seperate nights because it wouldn't all fit in one show, but they aired the entire interview.
Please provide proof other than the Dan Rather debacle that shows that CBS is out to smear conservative politicians by editing parts of interviews to make them look like idiots. Right now, your argument has little value.
jrrtoken is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-23-2008, 01:11 PM   #28
Adavardes
Junior Member
 
Adavardes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by PastramiX View Post
Please provide proof other than the Dan Rather debacle that shows that CBS is out to smear conservative politicians by editing parts of interviews to make them look like idiots. Right now, your argument has little value.
Proof =/= blogs, btw.



It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built.
Adavardes is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-23-2008, 01:12 PM   #29
Astor
It's Thornhill!
 
Astor's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Warwickshire, UK
Posts: 3,632
Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarfieldJL View Post
It is when they are editting it to try to advance a political agenda. Furthermore, not every news station does it. Fox News only split up Bill O'Reilly's interviews with Hillary, Obama, and McCain on seperate nights because it wouldn't all fit in one show, but they aired the entire interview.
But surely, you've only got O'Reilly's word for that? If so, how can you be so sure?






Astor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-23-2008, 01:16 PM   #30
GarfieldJL
Banned
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by PastramiX View Post
Please provide proof other than the Dan Rather debacle that shows that CBS is out to smear conservative politicians by editing parts of interviews to make them look like idiots. Right now, your argument has little value.
Wasn't Dan Rather employed by CBS?

Quote:
Joe Lockhart, the Kerry aide who called CBS's source, former Texas Guardsman Bill Burkett, dismissed the charge as "a smear campaign" by Republicans. Another Kerry aide, Michael McCurry, said Kerry has been briefed and is "satisfied" with Lockhart's explanation that it was an innocuous conversation.
-- Washington Post: White House Links Memos, Kerry Effort
GarfieldJL is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-23-2008, 01:24 PM   #31
jrrtoken
Senior Member
 
jrrtoken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarfieldJL View Post
Wasn't Dan Rather employed by CBS?
No, by the Queen of England. Yes, he was, but Dan Rather and George W. Bush has nothing to do with Katie Couric and Sarah Palin.
Quote:
-- Washington Post: White House Links Memos, Kerry Effort
If you read the rest of the article, you'd see that CBS as a whole denounced the incident
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Washington Post
CBS spokeswoman Kelli Edwards, asked about Mapes's actions, said: "It's obviously against CBS News standards and those of every other reputable news organization to be associated with any political agenda."
jrrtoken is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-23-2008, 01:26 PM   #32
Yar-El
Banned
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 783
Current Game: The Witcher
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan7 View Post
Bush, goes down in history as the worst president in history, even if the media has been biased, etc etc. That cannot change the above fact. Is America better or worse off due to Bush's Presidency? I don't see how anyone on review of the current situation can say America is better off...
Our current mindset on Bush is what your saying. He is the most hated president in current US history. We have had others who were equal to or wose than Bush; however, events following their reign have proven otherwise. Many people who live in the US focus on short-term events. Four to eight years from now people will be saying Bush Who?. Historians will judge him on the events following his administration. Obama's actions or inactions will be center stage for the next four years. How the world changes from here forward can either redeem or reinforce people's perception of Bush. Obama has to stand up and play healer now; however, he must do so without compromising the American public's interest. Its a tough job.
Yar-El is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-23-2008, 01:32 PM   #33
Q
The one who knocks
 
Q's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: ABQ
Posts: 6,643
Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarfieldJL
Source please... Also an interesting side note CBS has a practice of only airing parts of interviews, we still have yet to see the full interview between Palin and Couric. We only saw the parts that CBS wanted the public to see.
Actually, the words were, "...we don't torture." And yes, I saw the entire interview, because it took place at the time when Bush was asking Congress to split hairs over whether or not the treatment of the detainees was lawful and I was actually interested in that sort of thing at the time.

You know, as politically active as you are, I find it rather hard to believe that you don't know to which interview that I'm referring. I mean, how many one-on-one interviews with Katie Couric has Bush held?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarfieldJL
I suppose them wearing Obama shirts at the Democrat Convention and chanting his name is proper behavior for journalists.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarfieldJL
Source please...
Your turn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarfieldJL
Furthermore, anyone else remember Rathergate?
Of course. Not that it was news to me. I've known that Rather was full of it since the '80s.



EDIT: Woah, this place has exploded! PastramiX beat me to the link. Thanks, man!


"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-23-2008, 01:37 PM   #34
Yar-El
Banned
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 783
Current Game: The Witcher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qliveur View Post
Actually, the words were, "...we don't torture." And yes, I saw the entire interview, because it took place at the time when Bush was asking Congress to split hairs over whether or not the treatment of the detainees was lawful and I was actually interested in that sort of thing at the time.
I will go on record as a witness. I saw the same interview. I agreed with the use of small scale torture; nevertheless, those comments gave me a chill. Publicly admitting the use of torture is political suicide; thus, I understand why he came out with the statement.
Yar-El is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-23-2008, 01:44 PM   #35
Det. Bart Lasiter
obama.png
 
Det. Bart Lasiter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: `(•.°)~
Posts: 7,997
Current Game: all
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yar-El View Post
Our current mindset on Bush is what your saying. He is the most hated president in current US history. We have had others who were equal to or wose than Bush; however, events following their reign have proven otherwise. Many people who live in the US focus on short-term events. Four to eight years from now people will be saying Bush Who?. Historians will judge him on the events following his administration. Obama's actions or inactions will be center stage for the next four years. How the world changes from here forward can either redeem or reinforce people's perception of Bush. Obama has to stand up and play healer now; however, he must do so without compromising the American public's interest. Its a tough job.
4-8 years from now people won't be saying "bush who?", he and his administration have royally screwed up this country and it will take years to recover from this.



"No, Mama. You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty whoever put that hit on you already got the cops in their back pocket." ~Black Dynamite

Last edited by Jae Onasi; 12-23-2008 at 04:02 PM.
Det. Bart Lasiter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-23-2008, 01:45 PM   #36
GarfieldJL
Banned
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qliveur View Post
Actually, the words were, "...we don't torture." And yes, I saw the entire interview, because it took place at the time when Bush was asking Congress to split hairs over whether or not the treatment of the detainees was lawful and I was actually interested in that sort of thing at the time.

You know, as politically active as you are, I find it rather hard to believe that you don't know to which interview that I'm referring. I mean, how many one-on-one interviews with Katie Couric has Bush held?
First, you only saw what CBS chose to let you see. Second, I've got my problems with Bush, just the Democrats chose either lunatics or people that have competitency issues to run against him. If the Democrats had Evan Bayh run against Bush in 2004, instead of John Kerry I would have voted for Bayh.

Fact is I think Bush exercised poor judgment in appointing who he appointed and choosing his running mate. Do you have any evidence that Bush signed off on actually torturing prisoners like what happened in Abu Grabe (sp?), cause Gitmo's living conditions look like a tropical resort compared to the prison system we see in the United States.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qliveur
Of course. Not that it was news to me. I've known that Rather was full of it since the '80s.
The fact is what Rather and CBS did was beyond bias, if it had been a private citizen and not a public figure whom is in the spotlight constantly, they would have been sued for slander. I still thing President Bush should have sued them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac7142 View Post
4-8 years from now people won't be saying "bush who?", he and his administration have royally screwed up this country and it will take years to recover from this.
More likely, people will remember the Bush as the good'ol days 4 years from now cause Obama and the Democrats will ruin the country so badly that this recession will look like the days of plenty.

Btw, the reason why I'm questioning CBS, MSNBC, and CNN's credibility includes:
http://hotair.com/archives/2008/09/0...stions-rigged/

Ordinarily I wouldn't use hotair.com but there is an audio tape that is embedded that is of interest.

Last edited by Jae Onasi; 12-23-2008 at 04:03 PM. Reason: edited a quote
GarfieldJL is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-23-2008, 01:52 PM   #37
Det. Bart Lasiter
obama.png
 
Det. Bart Lasiter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: `(•.°)~
Posts: 7,997
Current Game: all
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarfieldJL View Post
More likely, people will remember the Bush as the good'ol days 4 years from now cause Obama and the Democrats will ruin the country so badly that this recession will look like the days of plenty.
yeah, the good old days of trillions of dollars of debt, two wars, an end to government credibility, ostracism from the international community, and no viable environmental policy. you'll forgive me if i disregard your predictions as meaningless.



"No, Mama. You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty whoever put that hit on you already got the cops in their back pocket." ~Black Dynamite

Last edited by Jae Onasi; 12-23-2008 at 04:05 PM.
Det. Bart Lasiter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-23-2008, 01:55 PM   #38
Yar-El
Banned
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 783
Current Game: The Witcher
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac7142 View Post
4-8 years from now people won't be saying "bush who?", he and his administration have royally screwed up this country and it will take years to recover from this.
I see why people are currently angry with him; however, I think history will have the final word. I don't remember all the bad or good of the Clinton era. Does anyone remember in great detail about the Pursian Gulf War? Desert Storm? Those events should have justified Bush's invasion; however, they we so long ago people dismissed them.

Last edited by Jae Onasi; 12-23-2008 at 04:05 PM. Reason: edited quote
Yar-El is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-23-2008, 01:56 PM   #39
GarfieldJL
Banned
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac7142 View Post
yeah, the good old days of trillions of dollars of debt, two wars, an end to government credibility, ostracism from the international community, and no viable environmental policy. you'll forgive me if i disregard your predictions as meaningless.
First I don't care what the international community things at this time. If you think government is corrupt now, wait till the Chicago Mob gets its grips in the White House. You think the debt is bad now, wait for the trillions in new spending and insanely large tax increases get pushed through, you think two wars are bad, wait for the next terrorist attack because Obama pulls out before we finish the job in Afghanistan and Iraq, which will become breeding grounds for more terrorists. You think it's bad now, just wait for what could potentially be a second holocaust.

Last edited by Jae Onasi; 12-23-2008 at 04:06 PM. Reason: edited quote
GarfieldJL is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-23-2008, 01:59 PM   #40
Astor
It's Thornhill!
 
Astor's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Warwickshire, UK
Posts: 3,632
Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarfieldJL View Post
You think it's bad now, just wait for what could potentially be a second holocaust.
That's a ridiculous exaggeration. Why would Obama being president logically lead to a holocaust?






Astor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Kavar's Corner > Hot Topics > Mass Media's pathological hatred of Bush

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:41 PM.

LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.