lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Its just an mmo now?
Thread Tools Display Modes
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 12-30-2008, 06:31 PM   #1
SD Nihil
Junior Member
 
SD Nihil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: United States of America
Posts: 434
Current Game: K1/2, EaW/FoC, & TFU
Its just an mmo now?

I just saw that Bioware is going to do a mmo version of kotor rather than a kotor 3. Does this mean there wil no longer be a kotor 3? MMO meaning something like star wars galaxies where there is no end or stuff like that? Finally, mmo as in pay every month kind of game? I mean if they wanted to do an mmo couldn't they have just done a expansion mod for galaxies like they've doene with so many other expansions?

Yes I did look at the FAQ, but it says stuff like they don't know who will be doing the game. Well the vid I saw said Bioware.


SD Nihil is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-30-2008, 06:53 PM   #2
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith
 
adamqd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,193
Forum Veteran The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
That's right bud

We have a whole section dedicated to it now... http://www.lucasforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=730


adamqd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-30-2008, 07:12 PM   #3
SD Nihil
Junior Member
 
SD Nihil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: United States of America
Posts: 434
Current Game: K1/2, EaW/FoC, & TFU
Which did you say yes to, all of it? There will never be a kotor 3?


SD Nihil is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-30-2008, 07:18 PM   #4
SW01
3 Years in the Lurk
 
SW01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Northern Ireland, UK
Posts: 1,075
Current Game: Real Life
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Nihil View Post
Which did you say yes to, all of it? There will never be a kotor 3?
Just so. The developers announced that they intended the MMO to be KotOR 3 to...some other number. Anyway, it is essentially KotOR 3.

There are several rants on the point at adamqd's link.


SW01 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-30-2008, 08:40 PM   #5
SD Nihil
Junior Member
 
SD Nihil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: United States of America
Posts: 434
Current Game: K1/2, EaW/FoC, & TFU
From the vid it said it takes place 3000 years before the move. The K1-2 took place 5000 years before the movies. Which means Revan, Bastila, Carth, all our characers we know of and love are dead. Dang. Well never know what was on the edge of the galaxy, or any of that stuff. Dang.

I've never played an MMO before. So an MMO means there is no ending to the game, cutscenes, cheats, mods that others will be able to interact with each other's mod unless they both have the same mod. I remember with TCP/IP games the server and clint both had to have the same mod otherwise you the clint couldn't enter another server unless that server admin had the same mod. And clints without the mod can't enter a server that is modded.

So MMO means you can meet others online in that game. I don't know much about MMOs. lol


SD Nihil is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-31-2008, 05:11 AM   #6
Ztalker
Saving the world casually
 
Ztalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Normandy SR-2
Posts: 2,780
Forum Veteran 
In short:
MMO=Massively Multiplayer Online.
Ever played Battlefield or Counterstrike? But then with thousands of players and in an RPG world, not a shooter.

I can almost certain guaranty that you won't be able to use mods. WoW does allow customisation of the interface (even with mods) but that's where it ends.

And for cut scenes and endings: They can be there. Guild Wars (and the recent WoW expansion) all have a story and cutscenes with them.

But seriously...you've been sleeping for 5 years underneath a rock? MMO's are very common nowadays...

Ztalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-31-2008, 12:01 PM   #7
SD Nihil
Junior Member
 
SD Nihil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: United States of America
Posts: 434
Current Game: K1/2, EaW/FoC, & TFU
I just have not played MMOs because from what I hear people get so addicted to them that they end up losing their jobs because they are so addicted. I mean heck with K1-2 I lost track of time. lol. You didn't say though if this is one of those MMOs you have to pay per month for. Battlefield, meaning Battlefield 2: Modern Combat?


SD Nihil is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-31-2008, 12:21 PM   #8
Samnmax221
I never Kipled
 
Samnmax221's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: My hovercraft is full of eels
Posts: 5,784
Current Game: Sex with women
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztalker View Post
In short:
But seriously...you've been sleeping for 5 years underneath a rock? MMO's are very common nowadays...
So is AIDS, that doesn't make it alright.
Samnmax221 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-31-2008, 12:48 PM   #9
Irian
Rookie
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 23
And again a company invested money just to loose me as a customer... I would have bought Kotor 3 as a SP game without question, but I will surely never touch a KOTOR MMO. *sigh*
Irian is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-31-2008, 02:46 PM   #10
SD Nihil
Junior Member
 
SD Nihil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: United States of America
Posts: 434
Current Game: K1/2, EaW/FoC, & TFU
I'm hapy there is more than just a few who feel as I do. You know there is a social group on this forum for anti kotor mmo fans which I've joined. I doubt at this point a petition would do anything. Yup this stinks.


SD Nihil is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-31-2008, 03:00 PM   #11
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User
 
Ctrl Alt Del's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Posts: 3,814
Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Nihil View Post
I just have not played MMOs because from what I hear people get so addicted to them that they end up losing their jobs because they are so addicted.
If that's what you're worried about, try playing one and see what you should really fear.
Quote:
You didn't say though if this is one of those MMOs you have to pay per month for.
MMOs have a handful of paying systems, some are free of charge, some will only charge certain items or all of them. Although most likely we'll have to pay a monthly fee for it, there has been no official notes regarding it.


Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-31-2008, 03:09 PM   #12
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith
 
adamqd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,193
Forum Veteran The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
I'm against this being an MMO, But I shall play it because It's my favorite game series, era, etc, I love and have invested too much time in KotOR and it's surrounding era's to just NOT play it on principle, maybe Bioware can succeed where others have failed, to be honest they have no idea what they've let themselves in for, although a lot of the devs are ex-SOE, so maybe there just dumb lol. SWG (Sorry to bring it up, I know I bitch when others do regarding tOR) is a Stagnant graveyard of hatred and stuffiness, (Although an influx of new and returning players has taken the edge off as of late) still bleeding from the wounds of the NGE... it's gotta suck to be a developer of something where half it's subscribers hate you, I just hope Bioware can work with the fans to make a game people want to play, or at least listen to subscribers.

On the official forums I can already sense a storm brewing between the old swg players expecting a group hug and a monument in there name, the KotOR lovers who dont want any swg reference or input, MMO fans, Star Wars fan's, Casual fans who want Vader and Han to make an appearance LOL :sigh:, it's gonna be a experience on day 1 of release that's for sure


adamqd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-31-2008, 03:49 PM   #13
GeneralPloKoon
Just a Time Traveller
 
GeneralPloKoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hogwarts
Posts: 1,532
Current Game: Borderlands (PS3)
Unless The Old Republic can be played without a monthly fee I will never play it. I already have xbox live, a much cheaper 50 dollars a YEAR. I would love for The Old Republic to be the first MMO I play but I'm just not sure its worth it. Bring me Kotor III, no MMO please! One can only dream.
GeneralPloKoon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-31-2008, 03:56 PM   #14
Rev7
I'm a Mage
 
Rev7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,208
Current Game: CoD 5 WaW; Skate 2
Helpful! 
Yeah, I don't think that we will ever really get to see the day that KotOR III will come out. They replaced it with the MMO.

Rev7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-31-2008, 04:39 PM   #15
SD Nihil
Junior Member
 
SD Nihil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: United States of America
Posts: 434
Current Game: K1/2, EaW/FoC, & TFU
Of course if we did a petition, it may not change something, but it would at least show these guys the numbers. They would see what profit they got from the game, a list of individuals who were disapproving with the MMO, and who knows numbers might talk. Yeah I might get it if it were a non pay per month game. I too have Xbox Live and pay yearly. I'd hate to have another game I'd have to pay a fee for. Yes if they got it to where it could be played on Xbox Live, or on the computer without a monthy fee I might consider it.

But here's the other factor. We know that with K1-2 that takes place 5000 years before the movies. The MMO takes place 3000 years before th movies. So you can guess any familiar character and connection to that character is lost, or not a part of the story in any big way. The ships and universe might contain something that resembles that type of objects and things we recognize, but I wouldn't bank on it. I mean 2000 years passed since the KOTOR series might mean the ships themselves might be different.

It just seems like such a leap. They say they are doing this because they can tell more stories in an MMO rather than having to do a K3, K4, and so on. But you'd have a lot more if you didn't spread the time so far apart. If you had more games you'd be able to capitalize on the timeline. They would have more stories to tell if they didn't skip so many years by the thousands.

If they simply did multiple games, heck a K16 I'd buy. We've gotten familiar with the KOTOR galaxy, and now they want to drop us far in the future. We need something that resembles KOTOR to get us more grounded in the galaxy before we can accept the new changes. We need some constants. Oh boy can I ever ramble. lol. We'll just have to wait and see I guess.

But again that petition might at least get their attention to see how this decision would efect the numbers. If the loses outweigh the gains who knows. If this game will not support mods right there that can shorten a communitiy's lifespan. If there were no mods for these two K1-2 games I'm not sure we'd all still be here. We are here for the creativity, betterment, and restorations from others. Things that inspire others to create and dream of more than just the standard inside the box way of treating a game. So yes I agree they need to know what they might have caused here.


SD Nihil is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-31-2008, 06:13 PM   #16
TKA-001
I sneer at thee.
 
TKA-001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,535
Forum Veteran 
Personally, I don't buy their explanation that this is "KOTOR 3, 4, et cetera". I think they just threw that out there to appease any disgruntled KOTOR series fans, not because they actually look at TOR in that way.


"There is something going on in time and space, and beyond time and space, which, whether we like it or not, spells duty." -Winston Churchill

"For of all sad words of tongue or pen, The saddest are these: 'It might have been!'" -John Whittier

"Apathy is death." -Kreia
TKA-001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-31-2008, 08:05 PM   #17
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User
 
Ctrl Alt Del's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Posts: 3,814
Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Nihil View Post
But here's the other factor. We know that with K1-2 that takes place 5000 years before the movies.
Not that it makes any difference, but K1 is set 4000 years before the Empire.

And, yeah, TKA: K1, K2, K3, and so on in one package is just a lame excuse. Remind me of the alleged reason for TFU not being on PC.


Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-31-2008, 09:40 PM   #18
Hawkstrong16
Junior Member
 
Hawkstrong16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: PA. USA
Posts: 313
I'm not gonna be playing just because of the fee. I can't afford to pay monthly for a game I'm only gonna play for about half an hour every few days. If I'm lucky I'll have time to play everyday but I doubt it.

If its free on the other hand then I might play because it looks interesting. But I still don't like MMOs. I've tried a few and didn't like it. To play an MMO you need to have at least two hours a day to devote to them, otherwise its just not worth it.

I want a f***ing Knight Of The Old Republic III damn it!


Camo-Man 07 Now Known As Hawkstrong16

90% of teens today would die if myspace or facebook had a system failure. If you are one of the 10% that would sit and laugh copy this to your signature.
92% precent of teens today have moved on to rap. If you are one of the 8% that still rock out copy this to your signature


May The Force Be With You, Always
Hawkstrong16 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-31-2008, 09:59 PM   #19
TKA-001
I sneer at thee.
 
TKA-001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,535
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctrl Alt Del View Post
And, yeah, TKA: K1, K2, K3, and so on in one package is just a lame excuse. Remind me of the alleged reason for TFU not being on PC.
I fail to see a strong resemblance. LA's excuse in the TFU department was based on supposed technical limitations, whereas in this case Bioware/LA is trying to convince the K3 enthusiasts that this MMO can function in KOTOR 3's place (a concept which as I stated above, I don't think even they themselves believe).


"There is something going on in time and space, and beyond time and space, which, whether we like it or not, spells duty." -Winston Churchill

"For of all sad words of tongue or pen, The saddest are these: 'It might have been!'" -John Whittier

"Apathy is death." -Kreia
TKA-001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-31-2008, 10:43 PM   #20
SD Nihil
Junior Member
 
SD Nihil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: United States of America
Posts: 434
Current Game: K1/2, EaW/FoC, & TFU
I think a lot of it depends on how the company sees their fan base. Blizzard for example really does care about their community's input an pain stakeningly wants to get it right. I like companies that take their time. I'm sure the majority of us can wait a little longer as long as we know that company is taking the time to get it right. Too many times companies will rush making a game just to get to a deadline that might not be reasonable. And then have to make about 5 patches to correct things they could've by simply taking their time. By not thinking ahead like this you can tick off some of your fan base and lose some.

I'd think BioWare would be one of those companies that would listen to a large group like us saying hey don't go in this direction. It can change. Remember Blizzard was wanting to make Starcraft Ghost. They had vids and were working on things. Then they changed and now are doing Starcraft 2. So what I'm saying is it isn't too late to get their attention in getting them to follow the direction the majority wants. We are the customers after all. And companies care about profit. If they see a large number of their fan base not showing approval for this direction they could change direction. Don't let anyone tell you that you can't make a difference and change things in this world.

Yes, there are some among us that cannot afford to pay for a monthy fee. It'd also be great if BioWare and those guys were taking polls to see what the majority thinks of things like monthy fees. With the ecnonmy right now some might not be able to afford monthy fees, whereas normally they would. companies should think of these things.


SD Nihil is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-31-2008, 10:49 PM   #21
DeadYorick
The Keeper of Peace
 
DeadYorick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,275
Current Game: Pheonix Wright
I actually think it is a good idea to not include any characters from the Kotor cannon. Because then the dialogue writers would probably have to mention Revan and his/hers gender (Likewise with the Exile) which would effectively end our large cannon debates. This way we can still imagine both player characters as male/female ls/ds. At least this way it will keep everyone happy


"There's gotta be a better way to make a living"
-Kyle Katarn
DeadYorick is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-31-2008, 10:50 PM   #22
SamekhCephar
Lurker
 
SamekhCephar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 4
And once again another great series is comletely dishonored
damn mmo.....


"Mountains...Mythical beasts of a million years passed...Eroded and decayed by the forces of nature."


"People define reality by what they see, hear, taste, and touch. That is how people define Reality..."

"The only unknown land is within ourselves..."

"If you do not leave me alone you will give me no choice but to break you, have fall on your knees defeated and dishonored, and let me promise you that your death won't come as soon as you think."
SamekhCephar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-31-2008, 11:30 PM   #23
SD Nihil
Junior Member
 
SD Nihil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: United States of America
Posts: 434
Current Game: K1/2, EaW/FoC, & TFU
Exactly. As the saying goes if it isn't broke don't fix it. And not always you would have to call back the voice actors. Today with the technology I'm sure we can emulate voices if they didn't want to do voices for the game. Yes over time you'd close the chapters of Revan and the Exile and start new adventures. You dont need an MMO to do that.

Too bad about the MMOs not allowing mods. Mods are the creativity of the fans and can extend the lifespan of a community. Without it the community is subject to how much time and content the MMO game company is willing to give to the game. And when they want the master server can get closed down. Now this doesn't mean that someone can't simply buy the server or work something out. But that would require the community running themselves.

What I'm sayin is mods allow the fans to grow and give life to their community. MMOs which are totally controlled by the game's company that lifespan and content is solely controled by them.


SD Nihil is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-01-2009, 01:22 AM   #24
Rabish Bini
Sydney Roosters Genius
 
Rabish Bini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NSW, Aus
Posts: 2,128
Current Game: KotOR III
I refuse to acknowledge TOR as a KotOR III



Yes
Rabish Bini is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-01-2009, 01:37 AM   #25
DeadYorick
The Keeper of Peace
 
DeadYorick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,275
Current Game: Pheonix Wright
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabish Bini View Post
I refuse to acknowledge TOR as a KotOR III

Well look on the bright side Rabish. At least this shows that Lucasarts hasn't forgotten us fans. Though it shows they still want money more then our happiness.

But anyway. Again there is another silver lining. Maybe after this MMO starts to decrease in popularity they will make a REAL Kotor 3 to try and win back fans


"There's gotta be a better way to make a living"
-Kyle Katarn
DeadYorick is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-01-2009, 02:29 AM   #26
Tommycat
>^..^<
 
Tommycat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,578
Current Game: Real Life 1.0(BETA)
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RakataDark View Post
Well look on the bright side Rabish. At least this shows that Lucasarts hasn't forgotten us fans. Though it shows they still want money more then our happiness.

But anyway. Again there is another silver lining. Maybe after this MMO starts to decrease in popularity they will make a REAL Kotor 3 to try and win back fans
Don't count on it. If the mass exodus of the SWG fans didn't make them roll back the NGE, I doubt declining subs would convince them to make a game they will only be able to make money on for a few years. Think about this: SWG even as bad as it is, is still bringing money in for LA and SOE. KotOR isn't bringing in near as much. Galaxies is 5 years old. Even if we were to take the low estimate of SWG of 20k subs, that's still $300k per month.
Tommycat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-01-2009, 06:07 AM   #27
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith
 
adamqd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,193
Forum Veteran The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
There's been an estimate of 120k subs for SWG, but I guarantee a majority will move over or at least open an account with tOR. And that's what piss's me off, I don't hate SWG player's 'cause I'd be hating myself, but they come by the thousand, would be amused by a brick in the middle of a field on a rainy day, have no idea of/Care for canon (Some exceptions of course), and there gonna pay LA/Biowares wages twofold.
So KotOR fan's complaints on genre, content, style and canon, will not be taken into consideration because 70% of there Player base have no investment on what went before, and have the money and time to play it.



Last edited by adamqd; 01-01-2009 at 06:19 AM.
adamqd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-01-2009, 01:52 PM   #28
SD Nihil
Junior Member
 
SD Nihil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: United States of America
Posts: 434
Current Game: K1/2, EaW/FoC, & TFU
So from what I understand it TC, you see TOR as a fresh new MMO for the SWG fans and not necessarily for us KOTOR fan? That bites. I wish there was something w could do. But if you guys don't think a petition or something like that can't help I'm not sure if we can do anything to effect this. I thought they'd listen to something like that like Blizzard really cares about their communitiy's wants


SD Nihil is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-01-2009, 01:54 PM   #29
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User
 
Ctrl Alt Del's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Posts: 3,814
Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKA-001 View Post
I fail to see a strong resemblance. LA's excuse in the TFU department was based on supposed technical limitations, whereas in this case Bioware/LA is trying to convince the K3 enthusiasts that this MMO can function in KOTOR 3's place (a concept which as I stated above, I don't think even they themselves believe).
On both cases they give us weak excuses to justify their actions. It remains to be seem if the last one is real or not.


Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-01-2009, 03:45 PM   #30
Steve-O Kreesh
Rookie
 
Steve-O Kreesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Returning home after a long se
Posts: 154
Current Game: G.H. - Metallica
Umm... I had thought that TOR took place 300 years after the events in Kotor2?

Am I mistaken?
Steve-O Kreesh is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-01-2009, 05:13 PM   #31
SD Nihil
Junior Member
 
SD Nihil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: United States of America
Posts: 434
Current Game: K1/2, EaW/FoC, & TFU
Either way 300 years or 3000 years still the characers we know of would be dead. And I doubt many recognizable thins would still be around.


SD Nihil is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-04-2009, 05:57 PM   #32
Fiestainabox
Junior Member
 
Fiestainabox's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Spawn Camping
Posts: 257
Current Game: Borderlands
I'm glad Kotor 3 is going to be a MMO. Makes way more sense than making it a SPRPG.

With a single player RPG you get:
  • A Release
  • 50'ish hours of game play
  • Maybe an expansion

With an MMO you get:
  • New patches including: Bug Fixes, New Content.
  • 400 + hours of game play (Bethesda is the only company that can almost pull that in a single player game.)
  • Being able to play with your friends
  • Expansions, Lots of expansions.
  • A character that you actually feel attached to.

Once again, look at World of Warcraft, the game looks nothing like the original release. They just added an expansion that has more content than Both the Kotors put together, on top of the Base game, and the previous expansion.

You also get a character you enjoy playing as. The day I made my shaman, I knew this would be my favorite character. I leveled him all the way to the max level. After 1,400 hours of gameplay, I have become a little attached to my dude, more than I ever did on any of my kotor characters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabish Bini View Post
I refuse to acknowledge TOR as a KotOR III

Sure thing, keep waiting, the rest of us will be playing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Nihil View Post
What I'm sayin is mods allow the fans to grow and give life to their community. MMOs which are totally controlled by the game's company that lifespan and content is solely controled by them.
Take a look at the World of Warcraft forums, 11 million people is quite a large and growing community.

The companies going to be making new content all the time. There work is going to be amazing quality. It's their game, let them do what they choose with it. If you want mods and user made content, Fallout 3 and Oblivion both have HUGE communities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKA-001 View Post
I fail to see a strong resemblance. LA's excuse in the TFU department was based on supposed technical limitations, whereas in this case Bioware/LA is trying to convince the K3 enthusiasts that this MMO can function in KOTOR 3's place (a concept which as I stated above, I don't think even they themselves believe).
Stop using the big bad corporation argument, not every company in the world is out to crush the gamers and take there money. Bioware has only let me down once, Mass Effect, which, judging by reviews, I'm alone in that matter.

Bioware is going to make a great MMO, and if they don't, It'll be all patched up within a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralPloKoon View Post
Unless The Old Republic can be played without a monthly fee I will never play it. I already have xbox live, a much cheaper 50 dollars a YEAR. I would love for The Old Republic to be the first MMO I play but I'm just not sure its worth it. Bring me Kotor III, no MMO please! One can only dream.
Judging by the game currently listed on your gamertag, you've already paid for almost 2 years of my World of Warcraft subscription.


HideTheWeapons [K1][TSL]|Last Stand[K1]|Camera Angles[TSL]
Fallout: Less Useless Gifts[Nexus]|Named Wasteland[Nexus]
Fiestainabox is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-04-2009, 06:32 PM   #33
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User
 
Ctrl Alt Del's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Posts: 3,814
Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiestainabox View Post
  • New patches including: Bug Fixes, New Content.
  • I thought we got those with SRPGs too.

    Quote:
  • 400 + hours of game play (Bethesda is the only company that can almost pull that in a single player game.)
  • Maybe not on a single playthrough, but I have surpassed that mark on K1 easily. Plus, are those hours meaningful? They also must be fun.

    Quote:
  • Being able to play with your friends
  • Cool.

    Quote:
  • Expansions, Lots of expansions.
  • Money, lots of money.

    Quote:
  • A character that you actually feel attached to.
?

Never got that from an MMO, in turn, I've identified myself with a lot of SRPG characters.

Quote:
Sure thing, keep waiting, the rest of us will be playing it.
TOR is NOT KotOR 3.

Quote:
It's their game, let them do what they choose with it.
I bought it, so it's my copy.

Quote:
If you want mods and user made content, Fallout 3 and Oblivion both have HUGE communities.
So if I want apples you'll give me oranges?

Quote:
Bioware is going to make a great MMO, and if they don't, It'll be all patched up within a week.
That easy to make/fix an MMO, huh?


Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-04-2009, 07:11 PM   #34
Fiestainabox
Junior Member
 
Fiestainabox's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Spawn Camping
Posts: 257
Current Game: Borderlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctrl Alt Del View Post
I thought we got those with SRPGs too.
Compare this to this. On top of that, they hae a whole seperate client where you can test out the up and coming patch, and so the developers can get some feedback from the players. Figuring that's just the 3.0 patch notes, I'd say WoW wins in the patches and new content department.

Mass Effect got a bonus quest as DLC. World of Warcraft got another 1000 hours of gameplay for 40 dollars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctrl Alt Del View Post
Maybe not on a single play through, but I have surpassed that mark on K1 easily. Plus, are those hours meaningful? They also must be fun.
I'd measure that by a games total completlion time, the first time you do it. Took me around 20 to 25 hours with K1, and probabbly 30 to 35 hours with TSL. Mass Effect was done in 15 hours, and I still haven't really finished oblivion, after 200+ hours.

Oh, they we're plenty meaningful, correction, still are in fact, see, I've seen probably a quarter of the content of WoW after 1,400 hours.

Key thing I like about WoW is your not the center of the universe. You just another player trying to get to your specific goal amongst the 11 million other people doing the same thing, meanwhile, in a SPRPG, your freaking god, and you have to put 0 seconds into it. Theres not cheat codes in MMO's, which is why I'm pumped for TOR, I'll have to actually think over my actions and hope to God I don't blow something up that I don't intend to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctrl Alt Del View Post
Money, lots of money.
What else are they going to do? What is the soul purpose of a business? To make money of course, but WHY would they not want to make money? Just because a small percentage of they're target audience is unhappy with the result, why should they change it so they won't make money? Doesn't make sense really.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctrl Alt Del View Post
Never got that from an MMO, in turn, I've identified myself with a lot of SRPG characters.
Yep, pre-defined characters with specially designed dialogue, you tend to appreciate how free form WoW becomes when you see that not everyone just going lay down and die because your "The Chosen One" or "The Sith Lord."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctrl Alt Del View Post
TOR is NOT KotOR 3.
No, it isn't, I believe its Kotor 3, 4, 5 ,6 7, and I think 8?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctrl Alt Del View Post
I bought it, so it's my copy.
Thats all they wanted you to do with a single player game. They got your money, and its all over for you. They have no obligation to meet your wants or needs anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctrl Alt Del View Post
So if I want apples you'll give me oranges?
Then you discover something brand new that you'd never know that you liked, (Plus you get an Orange on top of that).At first, I thought I'd hate MMO's, then, I saw WoW on for 20 bucks in Wal-Mart and said "Hey, lets give 'er a chance," haven't looked back since.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctrl Alt Del View Post
That easy to make/fix an MMO, huh?
Hey, its Bioware, I was under the impression that everyone in this forum absolutely worshiped them?

Besides, it's not my job to sell you the game, I'm just trying to point out the fact that Kotor 3 == TOR, and its going to be DAMN fun.


HideTheWeapons [K1][TSL]|Last Stand[K1]|Camera Angles[TSL]
Fallout: Less Useless Gifts[Nexus]|Named Wasteland[Nexus]
Fiestainabox is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-04-2009, 07:31 PM   #35
jrrtoken
Senior Member
 
jrrtoken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiestainabox View Post
Compare this to this. On top of that, they hae a whole seperate client where you can test out the up and coming patch, and so the developers can get some feedback from the players. Figuring that's just the 3.0 patch notes, I'd say WoW wins in the patches and new content department.
Well, yeah, they have to. It's the world's largest MMO, with over 10 million subscribers. As you can see, Blizzard has to fix problems in games, or risk the loss of subscribers. Note how I called users subscribers.
Quote:
Mass Effect got a bonus quest as DLC. World of Warcraft got another 1000 hours of gameplay for 40 dollars.
And how much of that is actually fun and entertaining?
Quote:
Key thing I like about WoW is your not the center of the universe. You just another player trying to get to your specific goal amongst the 11 million other people doing the same thing, meanwhile, in a SPRPG, your freaking god, and you have to put 0 seconds into it. Theres not cheat codes in MMO's, which is why I'm pumped for TOR, I'll have to actually think over my actions and hope to God I don't blow something up that I don't intend to.
True, but that sounds more and more like reality than virtual reality, and we all know that reality ultimately sucks.

Quote:
What else are they going to do? What is the soul purpose of a business? To make money of course, but WHY would they not want to make money? Just because a small percentage of they're target audience is unhappy with the result, why should they change it so they won't make money? Doesn't make sense really.
See, that's the reason why MMOs go against my philosophy. I bought a copy of the game, therefore, all of the content is now allotted to me. But, now I have to pay [insert fee here] every month to keep on playing the copy of the game that I already own. In reality, something that was already mine is now being restricted, to me, the consumer. That's one hell of a pyramid scheme.
Quote:
No, it isn't, I believe its Kotor 3, 4, 5 ,6 7, and I think 8?
Just follow my method of coping with all of this sudden change: Lay flat on your chest, put hands over your ears, and recite "LALALA IT'S NOT CANON!!!". See, it works perfectly!
Quote:
Hey, its Bioware, I was under the impression that everyone in this forum absolutely worshiped them?
Replace BioWare with Obsidian, and you're spot on.
Quote:
Besides, it's not my job to sell you the game, I'm just trying to point out the fact that Kotor 3 == TOR, and its going to be DAMN fun.
Yet to be seen.

Do I know TOR will suck? No.
Do I think TOR will suck? Yes.
jrrtoken is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-04-2009, 07:34 PM   #36
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User
 
Ctrl Alt Del's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Posts: 3,814
Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiestainabox View Post
Mass Effect got a bonus quest as DLC. World of Warcraft got another 1000 hours of gameplay for 40 dollars.
The first is extra content and free on the PC, the second is pretty much buying another game, seeing the price.

Quote:
I'd measure that by a games total completlion time, the first time you do it. Took me around 20 to 25 hours with K1, and probabbly 30 to 35 hours with TSL. Mass Effect was done in 15 hours, and I still haven't really finished oblivion, after 200+ hours.
Which is terribly unfair. What if I measured RPGs solely by storyline and dialogs? WoW would be screwed. Besides, those games were clearly designed to be played more than once.

And just FYI, I've got +200 hours on FFXII.

Quote:
Oh, they we're plenty meaningful, correction, still are in fact, see, I've seen probably a quarter of the content of WoW after 1,400 hours.
Glad to hear. 40% of it being "collect X Necromancer Staves".

Quote:
Key thing I like about WoW is your not the center of the universe. You just another player trying to get to your specific goal amongst the 11 million other people doing the same thing, meanwhile, in a SPRPG, your freaking god, and you have to put 0 seconds into it.
It's not always that you're the center being of the galaxy, but that's fair. But then what?

Quote:
Theres not cheat codes in MMO's, which is why I'm pumped for TOR, I'll have to actually think over my actions and hope to God I don't blow something up that I don't intend to.
I have an idea, why you just don't use any cheat codes when playing an off-line game?

Quote:
Thats all they wanted you to do with a single player game. They got your money, and its all over for you. They have no obligation to meet your wants or needs anymore.
And I bought the game knowing that, not to be babysitted by said company and become dependent of it. Instead, I make my fun, mod it, play to exhaustion, whatever I wish.

Quote:
Then you discover something brand new that you'd never know that you liked, (Plus you get an Orange on top of that).At first, I thought I'd hate MMO's, then, I saw WoW on for 20 bucks in Wal-Mart and said "Hey, lets give 'er a chance," haven't looked back since.
Been there, done that. I've played some time of WoW and I can say I'm never returning.


Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-04-2009, 10:06 PM   #37
GeneralPloKoon
Just a Time Traveller
 
GeneralPloKoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hogwarts
Posts: 1,532
Current Game: Borderlands (PS3)
Yikes, Ctrl Alt Del has some VERY good points/truths, on Mass Effect I have around 70 hours on ONE character, KOTOR is in the 40s. Playing with friends isn't always a perk, when you friends act like goofballs and ruin everything. And I don't think TOR is KOTORIII as its under a different name, and a much,much, later time period in the days of the Old Republic.
GeneralPloKoon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-04-2009, 10:59 PM   #38
Rabish Bini
Sydney Roosters Genius
 
Rabish Bini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NSW, Aus
Posts: 2,128
Current Game: KotOR III
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiestainabox View Post
Sure thing, keep waiting, the rest of us will be playing it.
Ooh, we have a smartass.

Since when does not acknowledging something as something mean I won't play it. As I said in the OT forum:
Just 'cos I think it will suck doesn't mean I won't play it
at least to try it out.


Yes
Rabish Bini is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-05-2009, 12:47 AM   #39
Fiestainabox
Junior Member
 
Fiestainabox's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Spawn Camping
Posts: 257
Current Game: Borderlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by PastramiX
Well, yeah, they have to. It's the world's largest MMO, with over 10 million subscribers. As you can see, Blizzard has to fix problems in games, or risk the loss of subscribers. Note how I called users subscribers.
Not really, the Dev team behind WoW tends to focus more on Adjusting the current class rather than fixing problems.

From personal experience, Blizzard can burn a copy of CoD:W@W and release it as there new RPG and people will hail it as the greatest thing ever. LOTS of blizzard fanboys out there. I am not one, however, I am a fierce Bethesda fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastramiX
And how much of that is actually fun and entertaining?
No real answer to that, no matter what I say, I'm wrong in that department. It's an acquired taste. Grab a friend, discuss life while killing baddies, always a good time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastramiX
True, but that sounds more and more like reality than virtual reality, and we all know that reality ultimately sucks.
Nah, this is the cool version of reality, with muskets and swords, TORs going to be great, I'll be able to run around with a Weapon and not get arrested for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastramiX
See, that's the reason why MMOs go against my philosophy. I bought a copy of the game, therefore, all of the content is now allotted to me. But, now I have to pay [insert fee here] every month to keep on playing the copy of the game that I already own. In reality, something that was already mine is now being restricted, to me, the consumer. That's one hell of a pyramid scheme.
Ah, you obviously haven't heard of a private server, you can download WoW straight off the website and play it for free.

However, the thing is, your not paying for the game, your paying for the service, if you go the private server route you tend to get terribad service, running on a terribad server, with terribad support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctrl Alt Del
The first is extra content and free on the PC, the second is pretty much buying another game, seeing the price.
I've never played "Bring Down the Sky" mainly because I felt I've had enough of Mass Effect, but for $5 bucks on XB, not worth it in comparison to Wraith.

And, on top of that, you have DRM on PC, definatly not even worth buying it for PC too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctrl Alt Del
Which is terribly unfair. What if I measured RPGs solely by storyline and dialogs? WoW would be screwed.
No idea how you measure a game by its storyline, but if measured by dialog, WoW still wins, theres way more Dialog in any MMO than in any SPRPG...

And if your going to throw the Voiced Dialog card, Bethesda owns Kotor easily. That companies mastered it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctrl Alt Del
Besides, those games were clearly designed to be played more than once.
And MMO's aren't?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctrl Alt Del
And just FYI, I've got +200 hours on FFXII.
Which explains a lot, I've given up thinking that I'm going to find a final fantasy that I enjoy. Now THERE'S the biggest money whore company, they'll sell you the same storyline 13(?) times, only different characters. Come on, Squarenix hasen't created a Unique game since FF1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctrl Alt Del
Glad to hear. 40% of it being "collect X Necromancer Staves".
It's a different style in game play, and your wrong there, 90% of it is figuring out how to kill that boss that feels unkillable. The games supposed to be played with friends, not alone.

Plus, the whole reason I want TOR is because I KNOW that I'm going to enjoy leveling because Biowares putting the effort into making a game with an amazing set of storyline's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctrl Alt Del
It's not always that you're the center being of the galaxy, but that's fair. But then what?
Thats the joy of it, then what? Figure it out yourself. I love it. Your in control what you do, not a set of area triggers that require you to walk into them.

Theres a big difference in being the "Best" in a MMO, and being the "Best" in a single player game. It's like the first time I finished fallout 3, and went to look at everyone else's character, and realizing they all look identical. Which is a major let down. But wait, its a single player game, other Real people don't matter...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctrl Alt Del
I have an idea, why you just don't use any cheat codes when playing an off-line game?
I admit, I played Kotor and TSL with cheats (Mainly, gave myself a **** load of medpacks) I honestly cared very little for the combat. Not being a huge fan of that style turn based, I played the game for the Dialog.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctrl Alt Del
And I bought the game knowing that, not to be babysitted by said company and become dependent of it. Instead, I make my fun, mod it, play to exhaustion, whatever I wish.
And thats the thing, TORs going to be the same thing (Minus the mods of course) for me. I've been waiting for a Star Wars MMO that I'll enjoy, specifically, a multiplayer version of a Bethesda game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctrl Alt Del
Been there, done that. I've played some time of WoW and I can say I'm never returning.
Heh, its all about playing with friends, playing WoW without knowing anyone is like playing a multiplayer game alone, good luck with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralPloKoon
Playing with friends isn't always a perk, when you friends act like goofballs and ruin everything.
I've been that friend, quite easy way around that, Ignore them.

However, I'd much rather play a game with a friend than alone. It's always more fun when you have someone to compare yourself to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabish Bini
Ooh, we have a smartass.

Since when does not acknowledging something as something mean I won't play it. As I said in the OT forum:
Just 'cos I think it will suck doesn't mean I won't play it
at least to try it out.
Didn't mean to offend, just trying to say that there most likely not making a Kotor 3, for a damn good reason, any ending Bioware used probably wouldn't be adequate for a lot of the people here.

Your Pretty good in my books, At least your going to try it, a lot of people just seem to want to QQ about MMO's, completely forgetting that the game isn't even done yet...

Hell, I could end up hating it, and everyone else will absolutely love it. Which would be funny as hell xD


HideTheWeapons [K1][TSL]|Last Stand[K1]|Camera Angles[TSL]
Fallout: Less Useless Gifts[Nexus]|Named Wasteland[Nexus]
Fiestainabox is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-05-2009, 01:24 AM   #40
Rabish Bini
Sydney Roosters Genius
 
Rabish Bini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NSW, Aus
Posts: 2,128
Current Game: KotOR III
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiestainabox View Post
Didn't mean to offend, just trying to say that there most likely not making a Kotor 3, for a damn good reason, any ending Bioware used probably wouldn't be adequate for a lot of the people here.
I'll never stop believing
No harm done
Quote:
Your Pretty good in my books, At least your going to try it, a lot of people just seem to want to QQ about MMO's, completely forgetting that the game isn't even done yet...
Yeah, although I'm fairly certain it's gonna suck anyways, I'm willing to give it a shot though
Quote:
Hell, I could end up hating it, and everyone else will absolutely love it. Which would be funny as hell xD
I'm probably gonna end up hating it too, MMO's are not my thing


Yes
Rabish Bini is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Game Discussion > The Unknown Regions > Its just an mmo now?

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:48 AM.

LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.