Originally Posted by Tommycat
Personally I enjoy it. Call me a glutton for punishment if you want, but I have a good guild(more than 300 guildies), good friends, there is a lot to do, and I'm not even the most powerful profession(I'm a smuggler). Rather than whine when they dink with my profession, I adapt(though thankfully they don't mess with it that much, as we aren't in the balance wars with Jedi).
I'd say that the professions change a bit, but I will list them as I see them played by very competent players.
1)* Elder Jedi, against the environment, and on their own are super beings. No one new can be this profession
a) Light side Elder Jedi are the ultimate tanks in this game. Not only, do they have access to elder Jedi robes, and the quest for the Kenobi's Legacy color crystal, but they also have saber reflect like other lightside Jedi which takes your attacks and reflects them back at you, passively, when activated, and they have saber block, which, when activated, will block up to 85% of all incoming melee and ranged attacks. This combined with a personal energy shield renders most ranged weapons useless, and hurts the use of melee attacks.
b) Dark side Elder Jedi are the best at attacking others but not very good tanks, since they sacrifice saber reflect for more force powers. someone else would have to tell you more about this one.
*Only a player who achieved Jedi padawan status prior to the launch of nge can be one of these.
** Their weakness: Most are too arrogant, as a result of what they can do, that they often do not travel in groups into pvp zones. (Any smart player will always have at least a partner with him) Because of this they are easy to outnumber and despite the punishment they can take from one player, they cannot stand up to two to eight players in a group.
2) First place for everyone else is the regular Jedi start out as this profession or switch to it. See above for what they do physically, but with a twist. You go through Tansari Point Station, Legacy, and Profession quests. At level 26 you get a training lightsaber, (a lightsaber with only a color crystal slot no power crystals to enhance it), at level 30 you get your first manufactured lightsaber that will take one power crystal, your guild should be able to help you get a premium. And, at level 38 you build your own. This is where a good guild becomes essential to crafting a perfect lightsaber. The older the guild, the better. You need a saber crafting suit, a weapons crafting buff from an entertainer, food for assembly of the lightsaber, and drink for the experimentation part of the lightsaber. After you are finished experimenting with it as best as you can using all the points, you have, select craft, then select the down arrown next to the lightsaber hilt icon, and choose up to 14 different hilt designs to personalize your lightsaber to your individual personality.
a) light side see above for benefits, stronger lightsaber attacks, more tanking ability
b) dark side see above for advantages stronger Force attacks and more stopping power, but less tanking ability.
3 and 4)) Commando and Bounty Hunter tie in my opinion for second place. The Commando can kill many people at once, and the bounty hunter has to be strong enough to singlehandedly take down an elder Jedi using traps, and tricks. (They are the only true rival to the Jedi) These players usually help the Jedi out in the front lines of the assault force.
5) The officer has the best area of affect attack of anyone called the orbital strike, but they are vulnerable to melee attacks, stay behind Jedi and commandos for protection
6) the Medic, everybody loves this profession if they are good because you do not have to clone when they are around, but they are vulnerable to attack so they have to stay towards the back of the pack
7) the spy, the only reason I place this higher than smuggler is their cloaking ability. They are the only ones that really have a chance at wondering into pvp zones and surviving. Trust me, most of us including Jedi have a decloaking spell, but it only works when you know where the spy is. If the spy moves like he should, then the game becomes a cat and mouse game. These guys do not need protection because of this.
8) the smuggler ask someone else what these guys do.
9) the entertainer and trader professions are the non combat variety. We all love them though, without them everyone would be naked and without buffs. Not to mention a good shipwright in your guild can practically finance your whole guild.