Thread: Playing non-jedi
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 06-11-2009, 06:24 AM   #41
leXX
Forum Mum

10 year veteran! Hot Topic Starter LF Jester LFN Staff Member 
I'll try them all, see which one suits me best, and stick with that as my main. I'll more than likely end up with quite a few alts just like I did with wow.

Being human totally sucks most of the time.
Videogames are the only thing that
make life bearable.
- Anorak's Almanac, Chapter 91, Verses 1-2

Add me on: XBL | PSN | Last.fm | Steam
leXX is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-11-2009, 07:14 AM   #42
Tommycat
>^..^<

Current Game: Real Life 1.0(BETA)
Forum Veteran 
From what I understand that option is off the table. They have repeatedly said that you will be part of a faction. But I could be wrong.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." Thomas Jefferson
Tommycat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-11-2009, 07:48 AM   #43
WraithPrince
Rookie

Current Game: UT2004, Kotor:TSL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Te Mirdala Mand'alor View Post
If I decide to play I may be a freelance merc. Most likely a Mandalorian. I'd get some creds from both sides, and have fun burning all the saber-swingers who get in my way. Lets see a Jedi deflect a homing rocket.
Why would you want to be a Mandalorian as a race when they are human from what weve seen? from what im thinking Mandalorians are pretty much humans with accents, just look at Canderous.
WraithPrince is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-11-2009, 08:13 AM   #44
Saenjaina
Rookie

Current Game: GTA IV
According to Wookiepedia, the Mandalorians consisted of many various races. Which seems quite consistent with the fact that they are above all a tribe or gathering of warriors.

Leader of
Lux Aeterna
- A European SWTOR Guild -
Saenjaina is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-11-2009, 08:26 AM   #45
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

Forum Veteran The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
At the time just before and during the first Knights of the Old Republic, the Mandalorian clans were mainly human but consisted of many other alien races, including Wookiee's. The last of the Taung (Original Mandalorian race) Died out long before this game... Again, this could all change when the Game is released.

adamqd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-11-2009, 03:30 PM   #46
WraithPrince
Rookie

so your pretty much saing Mandalorians are more like a Warrior guild/cult? since they don't really have their own government and take any race in pretty much as lnog as they want to smash peoples skulls in?
Old 06-11-2009, 03:59 PM   #47
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

Forum Veteran The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
From various Sources...
Quote:
The Mandalorians (called Mando'ade in Mando'a, meaning "children of Mandalore") were a warlike, nomadic group of clan-based people consisting of members from multiple species. Often, they served as mercenaries and bounty hunters.

Their culture revolved around that of battle and war being a source of honor and pride in their community. The leader of the Mandalorians typically took on the title of "Mandalore." Mandalorians were frequently allied with the Sith, most notably Exar Kun and much later as a prototype for the Clone trooper under the power of Darth Sidious and the Galactic Republic, though they would not hesitate to cooperate with the Jedi if it suited them.

In later years Mandalorian Warriors wore very distinctive battle helmets with T-shaped visors that covered the entirety of their faces, which would provide inspiration for the helmets of the clone troopers. These helmets would eventually become strongly associated with the Mandalorian people.

adamqd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-11-2009, 10:54 PM   #48
Trench
Guy with Monocle

Current Game: DX:HR, iKotOR
LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by WraithPrince View Post
Why would you want to be a Mandalorian as a race when they are human from what weve seen? from what im thinking Mandalorians are pretty much humans with accents, just look at Canderous.
I am saying who I would most likely align myself with if I play the game. Alignment has nothing to do with species, and frankly- I don't care what species I am as long as I get to don a custom suit of Beskar'gam.

Trench is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-12-2009, 02:23 PM   #49
Nemez0r
Rookie

Current Game: UT2004, JKA MBII mod
Im not sure if im gonna play anything other than sith... depends on the other classes to come.
Nemez0r is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-13-2009, 06:00 PM   #50
thrawn2034
Lurker

My main character will be Sith lord and my second will be a Bounty Hunter.
thrawn2034 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-15-2009, 10:44 AM   #51
Hunted
Rookie

I'll be playing with my wife, so I'll probably let her pick a class and then I'll choose something that complements it. If she chooses a Jedi, I'll pick something else. If she chooses something else though, I'll probably choose Jedi.

I believe that Jedi will be balanced well with the other classes. They will probably be a unique experience though since they'll likely be the only melee-focused class.
Hunted is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-14-2009, 12:45 PM   #52
aner21
Rookie

I've never played an MMORPG so my opinion might not work in game but I don't think force sensitivity should be linked to a class. In fact I think you shouldn't even start as a jedi or a padawan.
Canon states that force sensitivity is related to genes and that some species are more prone to that than others. Why not make it a common trait? Depending on your race you would be granted a species oriented random automatic force sensitivity level, if you wanted to join the sith or jedi you would go to one of their bases to get tested and if your force sensitivity wasn't strong enough you could do a whole set of side quests to increase your connection with the force.
If not, you could always train within your force level (smugler with a touch of force persuade for example) or disregard it at all. Of course if you hit the force jackpot a get someone who can automatically join the jedi or sith you can always disregard it and play some other class in fact if your strong enough both sides might try to convert you. It could make a great character driven story arch. That way you could be a smugler or a bounty hunter or a soldier and in the long run decide to join one of the force wielding sides or if you grew tired you could take a quest that would cause your connection to the force to be severed or weakened (while still retaining the skills if not the force powers) and you could adopt a new class (soldier to jedi/sith to bounty hunter).
I find that more interesting than spending 40 hours playing to realise I don´t want to be a soldier but a smugler and then I have to start all over again

Last edited by aner21; 07-14-2009 at 12:52 PM.
aner21 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-14-2009, 01:15 PM   #53
Trench
Guy with Monocle

LF Jester 
I would want to be a Force-sensitive Bounty Hunter. The armor is kandosii! It bears a striking resemblance to the Mando'ade of later times. And lets see a Jedi/Sith block an attack with Force Lightning mixed with a flamethrower.

Old 07-14-2009, 02:08 PM   #54
Gurges-Ahter
Tyler Durden

I like this idea, although I think it dilutes what it means to play a jedi/sith in the game to some extent. It might help to not dilute it if the force sensitivity for non-jedi/sith characters is limited to very minor influences in the force, rather than all-out force prowess like a bounty hunter being able to use force lightning, as Mand'alor suggested.

Gurges-Ahter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-14-2009, 05:26 PM   #55
aner21
Rookie

That's exactly what I was thinking, if you want to "upgrade" your force powers you'll need proper training, and the only way to do so would be joining either the sith or the jedi.

Edit: Unless they come up with a new faction later in the game

Last edited by aner21; 07-14-2009 at 05:38 PM.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:48 PM   #56
Gurges-Ahter
Tyler Durden

I've never played an MMO, so I don't know the ramifications of switching classes, but I do like this idea. Playing out the scenario, however, would lead me to think that while many people would start off being different classes (providing variety), everyone would end up being Jedi/Sith. Maybe it will end up that way anyway.

Also, what would happen if you went back to being a Bounty Hunter or Smuggler? Would you keep the specialized force training you received as a Jedi/Sith? There would have to be a way to remove those force-specialized powers, and I don't know of a story-line that would aptly explain it.

Gurges-Ahter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-14-2009, 06:23 PM   #57
Trench
Guy with Monocle

LF Jester 
I wouldn't mind being a Jedi or a Sith if they let me wear Bounty Hunter armor and use Bounty Hunter tools.

Old 07-14-2009, 06:52 PM   #58
BountyHunterMat
Lurker

I will eventually role a sith or a jedi... maybe a jedi first. But I plan on maxing out a Bounty Hunter and having fun by picking off all the jedi/sith running around

"I can't wait to slay all the noob jedis" - Bounty Hunter Mat
BountyHunterMat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-14-2009, 08:10 PM   #59
aner21
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurges-Ahter View Post
I've never played an MMO, so I don't know the ramifications of switching classes, but I do like this idea. Playing out the scenario, however, would lead me to think that while many people would start off being different classes (providing variety), everyone would end up being Jedi/Sith. Maybe it will end up that way anyway.

Also, what would happen if you went back to being a Bounty Hunter or Smuggler? Would you keep the specialized force training you received as a Jedi/Sith? There would have to be a way to remove those force-specialized powers, and I don't know of a story-line that would aptly explain it.
They could remain but be ineffective, is like having a ship and lacking the fuel or at least restrict those to the initial levels of said skill, you would remain as force sensitive as when you started the game, but you received training that made you more proficient in it.
Many passive powers could remain with simple penaltis and if you were unhappy with your choice you could always repeat the quest to increase your force connection, only this time you would have the force-specialized powers waiting for the correct force level to be used.
It would be a choice for those who wished to leave sith/jedi, but many of the exp. used to adquire those skills would be wasted since they would be blocked.
Its a game decision.
Rather than restarting you could adapt your pre-existing character, making his/hers story arc far more interesting, it could even be a "homage" of sorts to K1 and TSL but rather than being forced on the gamers it would be their choice.
They could even make a quest where to unlock an item or special skill within the force you would have to be stripped of it, for example a boss that protects the access point and drains any force powers and uses them against you, it would be as strong in the force as the one opposing him, so to get the power you need to loose it or severely weaken it so the boss can be beatable. I could be explained within game story and logic.

Te Mirdala Mand'alor I doubt the game'll allow it (Bao-Dur's case in TSL comes to mind) regardless of how many armors you got, anything that was even in the slightest connected to the force couldn't be used by him and he could be trained as jedi/sith. In TOR it would be a nice ideia if at least you could wear it but be deprived of it's stats (a jedi robe in non jedi is just a piece of cloth...) that way it wouldn't upset power balance in game. You could use any item, but you'd get the proper stats only if your class matched.

Last edited by aner21; 07-14-2009 at 08:21 PM.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:46 PM   #60
Insignia_Enithma
Rookie

Current Game: TF2, KotOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by urluckyday View Post
If I decide to get this game...I'd definitely be a non-jedi...more fun that way imho.

Like when I was a little kid...I didn't wanna be obi-wan or luke or even vader...I wanted to be a stormtrooper...I hope there's an equivalent to that in this game...
You wanted to suck at shooting and die in one hit?

Im gonna be a Jedi, a Sith, a Bounty Hunter, a Smuggler... all of the classes I will be all of them!
Insignia_Enithma is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-14-2009, 11:23 PM   #61
JediAthos

Current Game: Defiance
Forum Veteran Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
I will likely try several of the classes in the end which is what I ended up doing when I played WoW. I would be even more likely to try them all at one point or another given that according to Bioware each class will have a unique story arc, and unique missions

"You'll find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

JediAthos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-14-2009, 11:33 PM   #62
Da_Man_2423
Forumite

Current Game: NCAA Football 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediAthos View Post
I will likely try several of the classes in the end which is what I ended up doing when I played WoW. I would be even more likely to try them all at one point or another given that according to Bioware each class will have a unique story arc, and unique missions
Same, although I'll probably end up liking one of my guys in particular (be it the combat style, story, etc.), and spend the majority of time with whoever that may be.

Da_Man_2423 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-15-2009, 02:02 AM   #63
Trench
Guy with Monocle

LF Jester 
Maybe if you buy the disc, it would be possible to mod it. You could give your Bounty Hunter a Lightsaber!
Any thoughts?

Last edited by Trench; 07-15-2009 at 12:47 PM.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:45 AM   #64
WraithPrince
Rookie

....Ofc since its on a online network they'd allow people to give there character gear they shouldn't have mhmmmm....

Old 07-15-2009, 04:46 PM   #65
JediAthos

All MMO's are designed specifically to prevent that kind of thing. It would generally be considered cheating and likely a violation of the terms of service resulting in a ban.

"You'll find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

Old 07-15-2009, 04:47 PM   #66
Trench
Guy with Monocle

LF Jester 
They always find a way to suck the fun out of everything don't they . Its not like I'm going to make myself invincible.

Old 07-15-2009, 04:55 PM   #67
Insignia_Enithma
Rookie

Current Game: TF2, KotOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Te Mirdala Mand'alor View Post
They always find a way to suck the fun out of everything don't they . Its not like I'm going to make myself invincible.
Why shouldnt we be allwoed to gain lightsaber training?

Steam ID: One Man Horde
Insignia_Enithma is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-15-2009, 04:58 PM   #68
Trench
Guy with Monocle

LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insignia_Enithma View Post
Why shouldnt we be allwoed to gain lightsaber training?
Yeah, if a Bounty Hunter killed a saber-swinger they would most likely collect the lightsaber as a trophy. Then they would most likely figure out how to use it.
I want to kill a saber-swinger (that didn't come out right...).

Old 07-15-2009, 05:50 PM   #69
aner21
Rookie

saber-swinger (lol)
It would be very cool, but i think it might affect the power balance in game, although canon states you require the force to build one, not wield it...
Old 07-15-2009, 06:54 PM   #70
WraithPrince
Rookie

Too bad half the decent jedi spin the lightsaber in there hand while fighting good luck doing that without the force and not losing a limb.

Old 07-15-2009, 08:11 PM   #71
Trench
Guy with Monocle

LF Jester 
There are plenty of non-Jedi/Sith/etc characters in the EU who know how to use a lightsaber. Just do some searches around Wookieepedia.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:39 PM   #72
Jaenus

Current Game: None
I think the only problem with saying, "Non-Jedi level faster..." is that eventually the jedi DO catch up. There are people out there who will quit their jobs to play! I recall in SWG,it taught us all a big lesson. No matter HOW HARD you make something, there are people out there who will do it. Hologrind anyone? How do you balance Jedi and Non-Jedi? No clue, but my main will not be a jedi, as I was never into them in SWG. I will however have one, I'm sure of that.
Jaenus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-16-2009, 09:17 AM   #73
WraithPrince
Rookie

Jedi (light side) will more then likely be TORS version of the Palidan where its overpowered in its attack overpowered in its heals and can protect itself, and mostly just take on like 3 people before needing a bit of help.

Old 07-16-2009, 10:50 AM   #74
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderWiggin View Post
He STILL IS.

_EW_
I was referring to the masses at large.

Now all the young kids are like Revan pwns.

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-16-2009, 11:03 AM   #75
Astor
It's Thornhill!

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
If I wanted a lightsaber, i'd play as a Jedi. I don't think that non-jedi should be able to use lightsabers (and spare me the 'Boba Fett can use one' stuff).

It's already likely that most people will plump for a Sith/Jedi class, so there'll a fair amount of lightsaber wielding opponents without the few who aren't Jedi deciding they want one too.

Last edited by Astor; 07-16-2009 at 11:30 AM.
Astor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-17-2009, 05:34 PM   #76
JediAthos

^ QFT...it would be impossible for Bioware to keep the classes balanced if EVERYONE could get a lightsaber.

Old 08-25-2009, 03:33 AM   #77
Mandalore_
Rookie

My main character will be a Bounty Hunter so far, I am very intrested in the 4remaining classes that we do not know of.
Mandalore_ is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Star Wars: The Old Republic MMO Forums > Game Discussion > Tython Temple > Playing non-jedi