lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Is this a good time to buy a $1k PC monitor?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 02-02-2009, 04:00 PM   #1
Kj°len
Resident Polak

Current Game: Monkey Island
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire 
WAS this a good time to buy a $1k PC monitor?

Economically, in the US, on the verge of a stock market collapse? Ehhh, let's look at the spec.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824113013

Highlights
  • 2560x1600, 'nuff said.
  • DVI, VGA, HDMI, Component, RCA Video, S-video inputs
  • RCA audio inputs, DVI and VGA headphone inputs, RCA audio output, S/PIDF toslink out, S/PIDF coaxial out, detachable speaker bar
  • 6-port USB hub (4 rear, 2 side)
  • Every seam of the monitor is electrically sealed with awesome and magnetically filled with win

It's basically a TV without the tuner. I plan to hook up my PC to DVI-D port, the Xbox 360 to the Component input, my Wii to the Composite input, my DVD/VCR to the S-video input (and use the VCR's built in tuner to watch TV channels on it, this is KEY to the plan), and potentially, in some future, a Blu-ray player in the HDMI port.

I promised myself that I would play FEAR 2: Project Origin at 2560x1600 a long time ago. It comes out in 8 days. I have enough money for it, and enough beyond that for a semester of school, so I feel like I'm financially okay... if it weren't for the economy. I wanna know whether this scare is worth losing something this awesome, or if something this awesome is worth the potential scare.

Opinions, plskthx.

"Kj°len is a pretty cool guy. 'e doesn't afraid of anything and 'e doesn't anything about anything."
―Kj°len

* Ye Olde Harbour * Aresen *

Last edited by Kj°len; 02-05-2009 at 02:33 AM. Reason: I bought it.
Kj°len is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-02-2009, 04:34 PM   #2
Boba Rhett
I Slay Dragons

Current Game: Scrolling Eldery
LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! LF Jester Helpful! 
At that price point, why not buy a very large hdtv or even an HD projector and tie it into your computer?
Boba Rhett is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-02-2009, 04:52 PM   #3
Det. Bart Lasiter
obama.png

Current Game: all
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
If you play F.E.A.R 2 at anything less than 1600x1200 I'm morally bound to hunt you for the rest of your days.

That said, could your graphics card handle it at 2560x1600?

"No, Mama. You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty whoever put that hit on you already got the cops in their back pocket." ~Black Dynamite
Det. Bart Lasiter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-02-2009, 05:10 PM   #4
Kj°len
Resident Polak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boba Rhett View Post
At that price point, why not buy a very large hdtv or even an HD projector and tie it into your computer?
An HDTV gets up to 1080p at its best (and most expensive). That's 1920x1080. This monitor, in HD terms is 1600p, or 2560x1600. Besides, my PC is having a **** ton of trouble trying to use an actual LCD TV as a monitor. Refuses to center the screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac7142 View Post
That said, could your graphics card handle it at 2560x1600?
Yes, indeed. Geforce GTX 280! Unfortunately, my ASUS one is kind of defective, so I might have to buy a new one and return it to ASUS at the same time (Or eBay it). But that's another matter completely.

"Kj°len is a pretty cool guy. 'e doesn't afraid of anything and 'e doesn't anything about anything."
―Kj°len

Old 02-02-2009, 05:37 PM   #5
Det. Bart Lasiter
obama.png

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Well then, get it on it right now, man. I hear Alma is a fickle bitch now and is not to be trifled with.

You can always whore yourself or sell heroin if you 're short on cash later on.

"No, Mama. You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty whoever put that hit on you already got the cops in their back pocket." ~Black Dynamite
Old 02-02-2009, 05:48 PM   #6
Kj°len
Resident Polak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac7142 View Post
Well then, get it on it right now, man. I hear Alma is a fickle bitch now and is not to be trifled with.

You can always whore yourself or sell heroin if you 're short on cash later on.
I already do something analogous to both of those in the same business. I'm a sandwich artist. I sell bread-addictive foods by whoring my personality out to filthy ingrates.

Well, I'd still appreciate more pro, con, subjective opinions if anyone else wants input, but I get the feeling I'll have either ordered it or not ordered it by the end of the night.

―Kj°len

Old 02-02-2009, 06:03 PM   #7
leXX
Forum Mum

10 year veteran! Hot Topic Starter LF Jester LFN Staff Member 
Don't order it. Seriously, you can't think of anything better to spend 1k on?

Being human totally sucks most of the time.
Videogames are the only thing that
make life bearable.
- Anorak's Almanac, Chapter 91, Verses 1-2

Add me on: XBL | PSN | Last.fm | Steam
leXX is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-02-2009, 06:04 PM   #8
EnderWiggin
Sine Amore Nihil Est Vita

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Sounds awesome; go for it!

_EW_

Hello, Pot? This is Kettle. You're black. ~ Prime

Yes, I hate you.

J7 - thanks for accepting me as part of the 'family.'
EnderWiggin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-02-2009, 06:13 PM   #9
RoxStar

Current Game: Everything Zelda
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by leXX View Post
Buy this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824001281

And write your Uncle RoxStar a check for $400

There, I saved you $100!
RoxStar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-02-2009, 06:32 PM   #10
Kj°len
Resident Polak

Quote:
Originally Posted by leXX View Post
I rarely ever spend my money. Like ever. Maybe twice a year I'll buy a TV series on DVD for maybe up to $50 each. Besides gasoline and insurance, I have very little expenses. I also have enough money AFTER buying this monitor for Fall 2009 tuition. So, my question is, I don't know, what else do you suggest?

@RoxStar: I'm using an old 1600x1200 capable monitor. If I'm going to spend money on another, I might as well go as high as is supported. 1920x1200 is an extra 320 on top of what I have now.

―Kj°len

Old 02-02-2009, 08:12 PM   #11
PR-0927
Formerly Majin Revan

Current Game: BF3
I dunno man - I personally couldn't get myself to blow $1000 on a monitor. I wouldn't have spent too much more than the $379 I spent on my 1920x1200 monitor for the same resolution.

Oh, and while the GTX 280 is a good card, it WILL struggle at higher resolutions like that. You'd be better off with an HD 4870 X2 or a GTX 295 (yet the HD 4870 X2 still prevails at that resolution, as it has double 1 GB of GDDR RAM, rather than double 768 MB of GDDR RAM, and is GDDR5, rather than GDDR3).

This is, of course, unless you are playing extremely easy games to run, such as Dead Space, WoW, or anything released two years or more ago.

If you can settle with 1920x1080 or 1920x1200, the prices are magnificent on Newegg right now - plus, you can watch your 1080p videos with the entire (or most of, in the case of 1920x1200) screen filled up - 2560x1600 will either leave a 1080p video in the middle with much extra space, or stretch it nastily. That's no good when you break 1080p. Kind of a feat - being able to pixelate a 1080p video.

I'd try to conserve as much of the money as I could for the top-of-the-line DirectX 11 GPUs - ATI's is expected this summer sometime, I believe (the "HD 5870 X2?") and nVidia's is expected in the beginning-to-end of Q3 2009 ("GTX 380?").

- PR-0927

- Former Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy, Star Wars: Battlefront, and Star Wars: Battlefront II modder. Used to go by the name "Majin Revan."
PR-0927 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-02-2009, 08:43 PM   #12
Kj°len
Resident Polak

I've already looked over the benchmarks for my card at 2560x1600, and I am satisfied. But since I need to return the card anyway... maybe I'll pick up a GTX 295, since they're not absurdly expensive for what I'll get back.

However, let me make clear that 2560x1600 is a spec of DIRE necessity.

―Kj°len

Old 02-02-2009, 10:00 PM   #13
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Newegg is not a good place to buy an LCD. Check out their LCD return policy.

About a month ago, the Dell outlet was selling 3007WFP-HCs for ~$625 if you had the right coupons. They were refurbs, but they were like new and came with a full 3-year warranty. Needless to say that these sold out very quickly, but they might have more of these in the near future. That's got to be the best 30" IPS panel deal in recent memory.

Whatever you get, make sure it is an IPS panel. When you look at the specs, you'll be able to tell by the viewing angle. It should be 178° for both vertical and horizontal. If it isn't, then it isn't an IPS and it's more than likely a piece of crap.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-02-2009, 10:21 PM   #14
Kj°len
Resident Polak

I don't plan on returning it unless it's defective. And if it is defective out-of-box, I have the standard 30 days. If it develops a defect after 30 days, I will use Gateway's craptastic one-year warranty. If it develops a defect after the one-year mark, I will send it to Newegg, via Newegg's 2 year extended warranty plan that begins after Gateway's expires.

And the viewing angle is 178 degrees both ways, or so it claims.

―Kj°len

Old 02-02-2009, 10:59 PM   #15
PR-0927
Formerly Majin Revan

I'd recommend reading the reviews of that on Newegg - I didn't, but the few I saw seem to make me wary of this product.

Otherwise, it seems you want this monitor...is the question you have just whether to buy now or later?

- PR-0927

- Former Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy, Star Wars: Battlefront, and Star Wars: Battlefront II modder. Used to go by the name "Majin Revan."
Old 02-02-2009, 11:16 PM   #16
Kj°len
Resident Polak

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR-0927 View Post
I'd recommend reading the reviews of that on Newegg - I didn't, but the few I saw seem to make me wary of this product.

I've been studying this monitor for months. I've seen the reviews and cross-checked prices all over. This one is the least expensive with the most features. The few quirks that people listed in the reviews wouldn't bother me to any crippling degree. Also, it's an S-PVA type panel, which, I believe is the next-best, though fairly standard. S-IPS is really-really expensive, so I wasn't expecting to get one, anyway. Keep in mind that this monitor used to be a couple hundred bucks more than the competition monitors by HP, Dell, and Samsung.

This image aptly describes my contentedness:

So, yeah, I don't mean to shoot down the people who might dissuade me from buying this monitor specifically, but I'm really more interested in knowing whether or not I should be doing this at all.

―Kj°len

Old 02-02-2009, 11:28 PM   #17
Samnmax221
I never Kipled

Current Game: Sex with women
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Take that money and commit a war crime, the satisfaction will last longer.
Samnmax221 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-03-2009, 12:10 AM   #18
TiE23
Get bent!

Current Game: Shogun 2
Forum Veteran 
Here, I'll do you a favor. You give me the $1000 and I'll send you one of these within the week.

You'd be stupid to go for to not go for this deal I'm making you.

Tie's Kindle Reading Project
"Making myself a more learned person and then bragging about it."
Since October 2010 - I'm a slow reader
-----------
27 Books Completed
('10: 4, '11: 9, '12: 7, '13: 6)
Fiction: 12 | Fantasy/Sci-Fi 5; Classics 3; Literature 4
Non-fiction: 15 | Investigative 2; History/Politics 3; Science 3; Biography 7
-----------
237,123 'locations'
11,865 pages (approx)
-----------
Last book: Cosmos by Carl Sagan - Dec 2013
TiE23 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-03-2009, 12:17 AM   #19
MrWally
Gunslinger

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qliveur View Post

I ordered my LCD from Newegg. One of the best purchases I've ever made. Shipped VERY fast, had no problems with it, and still works great a year later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrion View Post
MrWally eats fresh babies in order to maintain his unnatural level of talent.
MrWally is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-03-2009, 01:43 AM   #20
Tyrion
nothing is real

Location: no one I think is in my tree, I mean it must be high or low
LF Jester Forum Veteran 
What's the monitor you're currently using? This upgrade would be a fairly good idea if it's like the monitor Tie's trying to con upon you because he's a bad, bad person. Otherwise, if your monitor simply lacks an ungodly resolution and awesome magnetic seals, then you're better off putting it aside until economically friendlier times.

Another point to take into consideration: do you have any current income, or is this money you've mostly gotten from aid/parents/past jobs, ect.? If the money you have right now has to last you through another semester, you're wiser to just store it up.

Tyrion is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-03-2009, 01:53 AM   #21
Kj°len
Resident Polak

Quote:
Another point to take into consideration: do you have any current income, or is this money you've mostly gotten from aid/parents/past jobs, ect.? If the money you have right now has to last you through another semester, you're wiser to just store it up.
I have the money for the monitor, plus whatever I'll be required to pay for tuition in the fall, plus an insurance deductible if I get into a major car accident, plus a little bit of pocket cash left over. I also have a job. Not a real job, but a few hours a week at a Subway fast food joint will be well enough to earn Spring 2010's tuition, plus some very modest amount of pocket cash by the time Fall 2009 semester begins, and so on in that manner. I feel reasonably secure with this.

―Kj°len

Old 02-03-2009, 02:00 AM   #22
Rogue Nine
*static*

Current Game: Bravely Default
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran LF Jester 
So go ahead and do it, Kojo.

But make me a roast beef sammich first, extra mayo, kthnx.

have a suggestion for the lf poll? pm me
Rogue Nine is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-03-2009, 02:02 AM   #23
Kj°len
Resident Polak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Nine View Post
So go ahead and do it, Kojo.

But make me a roast beef sammich first, extra mayo, kthnx.
Did you know that our roast beef is made up mostly of Chihuahua?

And I am very much on the verge of simply ordering it without any further thought.

―Kj°len

Old 02-03-2009, 02:57 AM   #24
Q
The one who knocks

You're right, it is an IPS, and it's got connectivity out the ass.

Newegg seems to have the best price on it right now, too.

Go ahead and get it, but before you do, sign up for Live.com's cashback program and purchase it through that. It'll save you an extra ~$25.00 (2.75%) for the cost of jumping through a couple of hoops. That should help cover the shipping costs.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Old 02-03-2009, 03:17 AM   #25
Kj°len
Resident Polak

Quote:
You're right, it is an IPS, and it's got connectivity out the ass.

Newegg seems to have the best price on it right now, too.

Go ahead and get it, but before you do, sign up for Live.com's cashback program and purchase it through that. It'll save you an extra ~$25.00 (2.75%) for the cost of jumping through a couple of hoops. That should help cover the shipping costs.
Hey, thanks, that's fairly simple. Of course, I'm assuming I have to jump through the hoops to get the $25 back AFTER I order it (via email promotion). However, if it works out, that's still $25 off shipping. Gracias.

I'm postponing my psychological spending crash until tomorrow so I can sleep. Night all.

―Kj°len

Old 02-03-2009, 03:29 AM   #26
Q
The one who knocks

Yeah, it should definitely work. People have been using it for months now. Too bad the days of 35% cash back on any "buy it now" purchase on Fleabay are over. There were some crazy deals there.

-Toker
Old 02-03-2009, 07:37 AM   #27
MrWally
Gunslinger

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kj°len View Post
plus an insurance deductible if I get into a major car accident
Can someone explain to me why ANYONE would take this into account when discussing their income?

Quote:
MrWally eats fresh babies in order to maintain his unnatural level of talent.
MrWally is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-03-2009, 07:48 AM   #28
Q
The one who knocks

Oh, and I forgot to ask if you get the Newegg newsletter. It provides coupon codes for extra discounts on certain items and free shipping.

-Toker
Old 02-03-2009, 01:17 PM   #29
Kj°len
Resident Polak

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWally View Post
Can someone explain to me why ANYONE would take this into account when discussing their income?
Because it's money that I have, that I'm keeping aside just in case. I'm simply trying to explain my state of financial security in various "What if" cases.

Quote:
Oh, and I forgot to ask if you get the Newegg newsletter. It provides coupon codes for extra discounts on certain items and free shipping.
I will be now.

―Kj°len

Old 02-03-2009, 04:26 PM   #30
BongoBob
Good Eye, Sniper

Current Game: BC2, FFXIII
The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
Quote:
I bought my LCD from them as well, the Acer P244Wii 24" 1080p monitor, and it's one of the best things I've ever bought. I was nervous, but lo and behold, not a single dead pixel.

BongoBob is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-03-2009, 04:30 PM   #31
TiE23
Get bent!

Current Game: Shogun 2
Forum Veteran 
*Raises hand*

Acer AL2216W - 1680x1050 - Pretty nice monitor, no dead pixels, yay.

Tie's Kindle Reading Project
"Making myself a more learned person and then bragging about it."
Since October 2010 - I'm a slow reader
-----------
27 Books Completed
('10: 4, '11: 9, '12: 7, '13: 6)
Fiction: 12 | Fantasy/Sci-Fi 5; Classics 3; Literature 4
Non-fiction: 15 | Investigative 2; History/Politics 3; Science 3; Biography 7
-----------
237,123 'locations'
11,865 pages (approx)
-----------
Last book: Cosmos by Carl Sagan - Dec 2013
TiE23 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-05-2009, 02:19 AM   #32
Kj°len
Resident Polak

SO, I made my purchases. I have bought:

1 Gateway XHD3000 30" LCD monitor that which is capable of 2560x1600 with a large selection of input and outputs
1 Two-year Newegg extended warranty (added on after the dismal Gateway 1yr expires)
1 GeForce GTX 295 1792MB GDDR3 Video card to support this resolution

And Live.com is giving me $42.07 back. Feel free to criticize my lack of thoughtfulness or my massacred bank account. I'll try really hard to see your tiny text at 2560x1600.

―Kj°len

Old 02-05-2009, 05:21 AM   #33
PR-0927
Formerly Majin Revan

Haha, tight. I personally wouldn't have been able to blow $1000 on a monitor, but that's just me.

Maybe if I were rolling in money. Then I'd buy $6000 monitors without hesitation.

Anyways - I'm not sure about the GTX 295 purchase - nothing wrong with it, but if you do look at benchmarks, often the HD 4870 X2 wins out due to more VRAM. I'm not just saying this because I have an HD 4870 X2 (I hate fanboyism - I buy whatever is the best at the moment). However, the main concern in this would be that DirectX 11 cards aren't too far away - maybe you should have waited to splurge on the best GPU then? ATI's should be out this summer, and nVidia's should be out in the beginning of Q3 2009.

Again, just a personal thing there - not trying to bash your purchase.

All in all - you just kicked some serious ass and now have a huge monitor.

- PR-0927

Last edited by PR-0927; 02-05-2009 at 04:11 PM.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:39 AM   #34
Kj°len
Resident Polak

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR-0927 View Post
Anyways - I'm not sure about the GTX 295 purchase - nothing wring with it, but if you do look at benchmarks, often the HD 4870 X2 wins out due to more VRAM. I'm not just saying this because I have an HD 4870 X2 (I hate fanboyism - I buy whatever is the best at the moment). However, the main concern in this would be that DirectX 11 cards aren't too far away - maybe you should have waited to splurge on the best GPU then? ATI's should be out this summer, and nVidia's should be out in the beginning of Q3 2009.
Yeah, and while I am aware of all that, and did consider the 4870X2, I chose the GTX 295 because I have an NVIDIA chipset on my motherboard, with SLI support. Now, I doubt I'll buy another GTX 295, but I ust want it to run smoothly on the right chipset. Also, in regards to the DX11 cards coming out, I've realized that if I'm always waiting a few more months for some grand new technology, there will be no end to the wait. By the time those cards are out, someone will have something new coming, just on the horizon.

―Kj°len

Old 02-05-2009, 01:07 PM   #35
swphreak
My cabbages!!!

10 year veteran! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran 
Considering I myself bought a 42" TV, I'd say go for it. Screw the economy!
swphreak is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-05-2009, 01:33 PM   #36
Pho3nix
#rekt

Forum Veteran 
I would've bought hookers and blow instead.

Pho3nix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-05-2009, 02:37 PM   #37
Kj°len
Resident Polak

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarWarsPhreak View Post
Considering I myself bought a 42" TV, I'd say go for it. Screw the economy!
We are helping the economy by stimulating cash flow. It's the American way.

―Kj°len

Old 02-05-2009, 05:04 PM   #38
Det. Bart Lasiter
obama.png

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
alternatively, you could buy a child slave, have her dress as alma, and live fear 2

Old 02-05-2009, 05:32 PM   #39
Rogue Nine
*static*

Current Game: Bravely Default
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran LF Jester 
i hope you have dead pixels kojo

have a suggestion for the lf poll? pm me
Rogue Nine is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-05-2009, 05:35 PM   #40
Det. Bart Lasiter
obama.png

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
:O why would you wish dead pixels on a little girl

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Community > Yodaĺs Swamp > Is this a good time to buy a $1k PC monitor?