lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Is this a good time to buy a $1k PC monitor?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 02-05-2009, 05:53 PM   #41
Samnmax221
I never Kipled

Current Game: Sex with women
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
I think he means necrotic tissue.
Samnmax221 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-05-2009, 06:17 PM   #42
Kj°len
Resident Polak

Current Game: Monkey Island
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac7142 View Post
alternatively, you could buy a child slave, have her dress as alma, and live fear 2
I currently have two life goals, which can be fulfilled in any order or concurrently:

• Finish college
  • Get a job
  • Buy a house
  • Find a girlfriend
  • Get married
  • Have a daughter named Alma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Nine View Post
i hope you have dead pixels kojo
<3

"Kj°len is a pretty cool guy. 'e doesn't afraid of anything and 'e doesn't anything about anything."
―Kj°len

* Ye Olde Harbour * Aresen *
Kj°len is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-06-2009, 07:20 AM   #43
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWally View Post
I ordered my LCD from Newegg. One of the best purchases I've ever made. Shipped VERY fast, had no problems with it, and still works great a year later.
Your monitor had no defects, so you didn't have a problem. The problem that I have with Newegg's LCD return policy is that they require that the LCD have at least 8 dead pixels in order for them to consider it defective. That's way too many, IMO, which is why I'd rather purchase a panel from a store, where you could return it for exchange or refund at no extra cost (except for gas and time) if it has dead pixels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiE23 View Post
*Raises hand*

Acer AL2216W - 1680x1050 - Pretty nice monitor, no dead pixels, yay.
That's the exact model that I have. Acer seems to have pretty good QC on their cheap TN panels. Mine doesn't have any dead pixels and even the backlight bleed is minimal. It's still a TN, with all of the inherent flaws (the vertical viewing angle is terrible ), but it was all I could afford at the time. All in all it was a good purchase, IMO.

There is a new type of IPS (called E-IPS) panel coming out that's supposed to be almost as cheap to produce as TNs and if everything I'm hearing about it is true, it will make TNs obsolete because people will be able to buy an IPS for not much more, and even a detuned IPS panel would be far superior to any TN. The Dell 2209WA is the first of these E-IPS panels to be introduced. I don't know about anyone else, but "IPS for the masses" sounds pretty damn good to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Nine View Post
i hope you have dead pixels kojo
I smell panel envy.

Anywho, @kojo: when you get your new panel, you can calibrate it here. AFAIK, this the best LCD calibration site on the web, and I recommend that everybody use it. It worked wonders for my Acer once I made up my mind to dump the factory presets, set my video drivers to default and use only the monitor's controls to adjust for brightness, contrast and gamma. You should get the best results that way. If my cheap-assed TN panel can pass all of the tests with the drivers set at default, then anyone's can.

Just remember to turn that backlight way down because just about every LCD ships with the brightness set high enough to give you a suntan, which can be very, very bad for your eyes. It should be just high enough to pass the black level and color band tests and no higher. For reference, my brightness is set at 30 (out of 100) for webpage viewing/document reading and I turn it up to 40 for video and games. My contrast stays set at 20.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-09-2009, 04:40 AM   #44
Tyrion
nothing is real

Location: no one I think is in my tree, I mean it must be high or low
LF Jester Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qliveur View Post

Anywho, @kojo: when you get your new panel, you can calibrate it here. AFAIK, this the best LCD calibration site on the web, and I recommend that everybody use it. It worked wonders for my Acer once I made up my mind to dump the factory presets, set my video drivers to default and use only the monitor's controls to adjust for brightness, contrast and gamma. You should get the best results that way. If my cheap-assed TN panel can pass all of the tests with the drivers set at default, then anyone's can.

Just remember to turn that backlight way down because just about every LCD ships with the brightness set high enough to give you a suntan, which can be very, very bad for your eyes. It should be just high enough to pass the black level and color band tests and no higher. For reference, my brightness is set at 30 (out of 100) for webpage viewing/document reading and I turn it up to 40 for video and games. My contrast stays set at 20.
Heh, thanks for that site. I had my contrast at stupidly high levels, it seems: for the white saturation test, I couldn't see anything besides the first checkerboard.

Tyrion is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-09-2009, 06:49 AM   #45
IG-64

LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran 
My monitor is really weird. The vertical angle of view is terrible, and for the black saturation tests and white saturation tests, some of them looked inverted. I noticed on the white test that I couldn't get the bottom row to display at all, until I hit exactly 80 contrast, then almost all of them popped up, only most of them inverted. They won't show up on 79, or 81, only 80. I'm just gonna keep it on that.
It looks pretty good now, thanks for the site.
IG-64 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-09-2009, 09:32 AM   #46
Q
The one who knocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by IG-64 View Post
My monitor is really weird. The vertical angle of view is terrible, and for the black saturation tests and white saturation tests, some of them looked inverted. I noticed on the white test that I couldn't get the bottom row to display at all, until I hit exactly 80 contrast, then almost all of them popped up, only most of them inverted. They won't show up on 79, or 81, only 80. I'm just gonna keep it on that.
It looks pretty good now, thanks for the site.
Yeah, Lagom kicks ass. Best calibration tests that I know of.

Have you tried adjusting your contrast to well below 50% (mine is at 20%)? That should help with the inversion problem. Also, the black- and white-level tests are brightness-dependent. The backlight should only be bright enough for the darkest square in the black-level test to be viewable, so that the white-level test isn't washed out. As long as you can barely see the darkest square in the black-level test and the lightest pattern in the white-level test, it counts as passing. And with TN panels, just about all of these tests are affected by the viewing angle (a huge PITA, I know ), so try to keep yourself in your normal viewing position when running the tests. TNs are best viewed from slightly above, so the top edge of the panel should be at eye level.

Remember to set your driver's desktop color settings to default and use only your monitor's brightness, contrast and RGB adjustments to get everything as close to perfect as you can before even touching the driver's settings. IMO you'll get the best results if you only use the driver's settings to compensate for any deficiencies that your monitor has. Mine are still set at default for normal use and I only have to use a driver color profile for watching videos with MPC. I don't use my monitor's factory presets at all.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Old 02-09-2009, 01:03 PM   #47
Kj°len
Resident Polak

The monitor should be arriving tomorrow, finally. I'll probably post about it in the "good things" thread.

"Kj°len is a pretty cool guy. 'e doesn't afraid of anything and 'e doesn't anything about anything."
―Kj°len

Old 02-09-2009, 05:01 PM   #48
TiE23
Get bent!

Current Game: Shogun 2
Forum Veteran 
With that Lagom test page I got my left 22" 16:10 monitor to look great... didn't do such a great job on my crappy other 5:4 monitor... looks like utter **** now. >.>

Tie's Kindle Reading Project
"Making myself a more learned person and then bragging about it."
Since October 2010 - I'm a slow reader
-----------
27 Books Completed
('10: 4, '11: 9, '12: 7, '13: 6)
Fiction: 12 | Fantasy/Sci-Fi 5; Classics 3; Literature 4
Non-fiction: 15 | Investigative 2; History/Politics 3; Science 3; Biography 7
-----------
237,123 'locations'
11,865 pages (approx)
-----------
Last book: Cosmos by Carl Sagan - Dec 2013
TiE23 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-09-2009, 05:47 PM   #49
Writer
Not switching to DTV

Current Game: TrackMania Nations
Roleplayer Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
dude... my computer didn't cost $1000... 'course it's a refurbished one I got four years ago, but...

Mom tells me I need brain food... but if writing ain't that, I don't know what is!

My work in progress:
Hidden Histories: The Galaxy Hacker

Have a read, give a review, yah?
Writer is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-09-2009, 06:01 PM   #50
Q
The one who knocks

Yeah, I could build a pretty rockin' system for $1000. The monitor wouldn't be as nice, though.

-Toker
Old 02-11-2009, 11:10 PM   #51
Kj°len
Resident Polak

Neener neener neener.

―Kj°len

Old 02-11-2009, 11:31 PM   #52
TiE23
Get bent!

Current Game: Shogun 2
Forum Veteran 
Oh god get rid of those damn shortcut arrows aaaaaa.

And clean up your damn desktop! [/ocd]

Also my EeePC screen size in your face!

Neener neener neener!

Edit: Whoops, forgot to say... that monitor's size is ****ing awesome on a whole different level. I'm in awe. O_O

Oh, and I wasn't being critical of your bragginess to your friend, I was just making a funny. :P

Tie's Kindle Reading Project
"Making myself a more learned person and then bragging about it."
Since October 2010 - I'm a slow reader
-----------
27 Books Completed
('10: 4, '11: 9, '12: 7, '13: 6)
Fiction: 12 | Fantasy/Sci-Fi 5; Classics 3; Literature 4
Non-fiction: 15 | Investigative 2; History/Politics 3; Science 3; Biography 7
-----------
237,123 'locations'
11,865 pages (approx)
-----------
Last book: Cosmos by Carl Sagan - Dec 2013

Last edited by TiE23; 02-11-2009 at 11:50 PM.
TiE23 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-11-2009, 11:36 PM   #53
MrWally
Gunslinger

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kj°len View Post
Looks sweet.

Btw, I love how you have the $2000+ computer and you play Age of Empires 2 on it =]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrion View Post
MrWally eats fresh babies in order to maintain his unnatural level of talent.
MrWally is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-11-2009, 11:41 PM   #54
Vikinor
600cc

Current Game: Cataclysm
Quote:
Mmm, nice.

What is your wallpaper?

Original member of 2002.
Vikinor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-11-2009, 11:48 PM   #55
Kj°len
Resident Polak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiE23 View Post
Oh god get rid of those damn shortcut arrows aaaaaa.

And clean up your damn desktop! [/ocd]

Also my EeePC screen size in your face!

Neener neener neener!
Everyone tries to push their clean-up-this-aspect-of-your-computer on me. Also, the little "Look how many windows I have open!" message wasn't actually intended to be on the screencap, I just happened to be bragging to someone else, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWally View Post
Looks sweet.

Btw, I love how you have the $2000+ computer and you play Age of Empires 2 on it =]
Haha, oh I didn't spend quite THAT much on it. $1400, tops. Unless you include the new monitor, then yeah. :| But Age of Empires II still kicks some serious Chinese, Japanese, Goth, Briton, Byzantine, Saracen, Persian, Frank, Turk, Teuton, and Celt ass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikinor View Post
Mmm, nice.

What is your wallpaper?
Yar.

―Kj°len

Old 02-11-2009, 11:50 PM   #56
Vikinor
600cc

Current Game: Cataclysm
I figured.

Original member of 2002.
Vikinor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-12-2009, 02:07 AM   #57
Det. Bart Lasiter
obama.png

Current Game: all
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
spoiler:
is that to remind you of the raping you get from her at the end

"No, Mama. You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty whoever put that hit on you already got the cops in their back pocket." ~Black Dynamite
Det. Bart Lasiter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-18-2009, 05:06 PM   #58
Kj°len
Resident Polak

Show spoiler

Moar 2560x1600 awesomeness, FEAR 2 style. The game actually runs well at full settings at that resolution. It is amazing.

Show spoiler

[Warning: Some naughty language.]

Look at that screenspace! 2560x1600 + 1600x1200. You might also notice that Both Kusanavi and Rogue Nine are fairly upset with me in Skype for some reason.

―Kj°len

Old 02-18-2009, 05:18 PM   #59
Pho3nix
#rekt

Forum Veteran 
The other #echonet?

Blasphemy!

Last edited by Pho3nix; 02-18-2009 at 05:55 PM. Reason: typo'd
Pho3nix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-18-2009, 05:24 PM   #60
Darth Groovy
The Dapper Zabrak

Current Game: Awaiting Greatness from PS4!
10 year veteran! Hot Topic Starter LFN Staff Member LucasCast staff 
Quote:
Show spoiler

Moar 2560x1600 awesomeness, FEAR 2 style. The game actually runs well at full settings at that resolution. It is amazing.

Show spoiler

Look at that screenspace! 2560x1600 + 1600x1200. You might also notice that Both Kusanavi and Rogue Nine are fairly upset with me in Skype for some reason.
F.E.A.R. 2 looks very nice on your monitor. I just played that recently.

That other screen is a disaster. Tooooooooooooooo much going on at once. I would go insane if I had that many chat windows going at once. And also, people still talk in mIRC?! Why?
Darth Groovy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-18-2009, 05:29 PM   #61
Kj°len
Resident Polak

The FEAR 2 image was, unfortunately, sized down for Photobucket. But the other window is actually very smooth to use with all of your buddy lists on one side of you browser, and the chat windows specifically arranged around the left side. Every gadget and IRC window is on my secondary monitor (Which used to be my primary monitor).

And no, no one still talks in IRC, but we still hang there.

―Kj°len

Old 02-18-2009, 05:32 PM   #62
Darth Groovy
The Dapper Zabrak

Current Game: Awaiting Greatness from PS4!
10 year veteran! Hot Topic Starter LFN Staff Member LucasCast staff 
Quote:

That makes no sense at all what so ever. That is why I nuked that program from my hard drive years ago...
Darth Groovy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-18-2009, 05:47 PM   #63
Pho3nix
#rekt

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
=D

That's what makes it so great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Groovy View Post
That makes no sense at all what so ever. That is why I nuked that program from my hard drive years ago...
mIRC > all im's

Pho3nix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-18-2009, 07:29 PM   #64
Det. Bart Lasiter
obama.png

Current Game: all
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Show spoiler

Show spoiler

http://www.digsby.com/

"No, Mama. You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty whoever put that hit on you already got the cops in their back pocket." ~Black Dynamite
Det. Bart Lasiter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-18-2009, 07:43 PM   #65
Q
The one who knocks

Quote:
Show spoiler

Show spoiler

Good God! Your desktop is ****ing HUGE!

-Toker
Old 02-18-2009, 07:43 PM   #66
Jeff
Rating: Awesome

Current Game: SWTOR
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac7142 View Post
Beat me to it. Kojo you desperately need an all-in-one IM client.

Follow me on Twitter
Follow StarWarsMMO.net on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
Jeff is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-19-2009, 04:19 AM   #67
Kj°len
Resident Polak

As long as I can upgrade/hack my programs to do multiple IMing, I'm fine with them as they are. Third-party apps are nice, but fail horribly when you want to take advantage of special features like webcam or picture sharing.

―Kj°len

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Community > Yodaĺs Swamp > Is this a good time to buy a $1k PC monitor?