lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Elusive Narwhal caught on film
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 02-10-2009, 06:01 PM   #1
Astor
It's Thornhill!

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Elusive Narwhal caught on film

Here.

I think it's fascinating, personally. We know so little about sea-life as it is, especially this species, and this footage gives us a brief glimpse of not just one, but a whole group of Narwhal.

Also, looking at the footage, and their impressive horn, I can see how early Norse explorers might have considered them to be 'Sea-Monsters'.

Astor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-10-2009, 06:14 PM   #2
SW01
3 Years in the Lurk

Current Game: Real Life
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Anderson, BBC
"These animals are just so completely unreal - they are like something from mythology"
That seems a fair assessment. They are very impressive creatures, as you say sure 'sea-monster' material!

SW01 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-10-2009, 06:19 PM   #3
Astor
It's Thornhill!

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SW01 View Post
That seems a fair assessment. They are very impressive creatures, as you say sure 'sea-monster' material!
I certainly thought so when I first heard of them - there's a 1.5-2m Narwhal tusk at Warwick Castle (picture here, not mine), in one of the Great Halls - I couldn't believe that it was from a sea creature!

That such a creature can be so close to us, yet we still know almost nothing about them, is just amazing. I hope this will spark further research into the species, and and lead to conservation efforts if it is proved that Global Warming will have a detrimental effect on them.

Astor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-10-2009, 06:24 PM   #4
SW01
3 Years in the Lurk

Current Game: Real Life
The first thing I thought of when watching the clip was the apparent danger - it is amazing that the Narwhal are able to swim in such close formation, seemingly without incident...I imagine a 7ft tusk could do massive damage in the event of an unfortunate collission.

And I agree with you, if global warming is shown to be having an effect on them, such a curious creature ought be protected - as should all, really, but this species is fascinating.

SW01 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-10-2009, 06:46 PM   #5
jrrtoken

Ah, narwhals. I would love to buy a yacht, go out to the Arctic Circle, and start up a whaling operation. It'd be a fair fight: I have a high-powered deck-mounted harpoon cannon, they have long, spear-like tusks.
jrrtoken is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-10-2009, 06:56 PM   #6
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Your yacht would get stoved like the Essex.

That was one righteously pissed off whale, and a strong indicator that whales may be capable of reason.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-10-2009, 07:04 PM   #7
jrrtoken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qliveur View Post
Your yacht would get stoved like the Essex.
Yes, but that was an old wooden-hull craft. I can buy a steel-hulled Soviet sub on the black market for several thousand dollars. Outfit the machine gun deck with a harpoon cannon, and you have a modern day whaleship.
Quote:
That was one righteously pissed off whale, and a strong indicator that whales are capable of reason.
But these are smaller than whales... but with tusks. It's a fair fight.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:19 PM   #8
Q
The one who knocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastramiX View Post
I can buy a steel-hulled Soviet sub on the black market for several thousand dollars. Outfit the machine gun deck with a harpoon cannon, and you have a modern day whaleship.
I thought that the drug cartels had already bought all of them to use for smuggling, along with a few leftover thermonuclear torpedoes to use against the DEA and the Coast Guard.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Old 02-11-2009, 02:22 AM   #9
Rev7
I'm a Mage

Current Game: CoD 5 WaW; Skate 2
Helpful! 
It definately looks unreal...really unreal to me....but idk.....

Interesting animal....we truly do not know everything

Rev7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-11-2009, 11:06 AM   #10
CommanderQ
I should go.

Current Game: Mass Effect
Forum Veteran Roleplayer Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Wow. Those creatures are absolutley amazing! Very much Sea-Monster material! Excellent thread, Astor!

@Rev: Agreed, these Narwhals looked very unreal...in an AWESOME way!

you very much
If a tree would fall in the woods.....would the other trees laugh at it?
CommanderQ is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-11-2009, 04:00 PM   #11
jrrtoken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qliveur View Post
I thought that the drug cartels had already bought all of them to use for smuggling, along with a few leftover thermonuclear torpedoes to use against the DEA and the Coast Guard.
Pshaw, there's a guy named dimitri5162 on eBay that's selling one for $100. They're practically liquidating their stock to get quick cash.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:42 PM   #12
Q
The one who knocks

Great! I can finally buy that MiG-29 I always wanted.

-Toker
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Kavar's Corner > Elusive Narwhal caught on film