lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: For all of you people still having problems running the game
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 12-08-2009, 09:35 PM   #41
MeddlingMonk
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloppstock View Post
i dont remember how good the shadow originaly shall be, but this is still far away from it right?
Nope, that's as good as it gets, shadow-wise. This is, after all, a 1998-vintage game. Expect crap shadows. And there's no way (I know of, and I've read the LucasHacks article more than once) to turn of the shadows. Turn off model shading, yes; shadows, no.

Last edited by MeddlingMonk; 12-09-2009 at 12:39 PM.
MeddlingMonk is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-09-2009, 12:57 AM   #42
lanux128
Lurker

Quote:
With various trix including windows 98 compatibility mode, i can with grimDDfix
now get this result
i dont remember how good the shadow originaly shall be, but this is still far away from it right?
if i just could disable shadows now, i could accept this
i'm glad that you are able to run the game but i have to agree with MeddlingMonk on the shadow thingy. given the age of the game, graphics-wise not much improvement can be expected. just the enjoy the great story and game-play. who knows lucas arts might make a re-imagined version as they did with 'the secret of monkey island' recently.
lanux128 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-09-2009, 12:40 PM   #43
MeddlingMonk
Veteran

...or hope that Residual gets some traction.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:58 PM   #44
Kloppstock
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeddlingMonk View Post
Nope, that's as good as it gets, shadow-wise. This is, after all, a 1998-vintage game. Expect crap shadows. And there's no way (I know of, and I've read the LucasHacks article more than once) to turn of the shadows. Turn off model shading, yes; shadows, no.
Quote:
Are you sure
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXzyB0nMCQ0
this player have no shadow at all, wonder how he did
but i saw another youtube wallktrough where it looked similar to me

otherwise i can conclude that having as low as 2 AA will cause Manny to dissapear in both my nvidia and ati card, stil i have heard of people being able to have AA activated in Grim, perhaps there is a chance i could be one of thoose when i install the new motherboard thou, or its simply choosing the right graphic card modell,and i was unlucky with my 2 in this case
Kloppstock is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-10-2009, 09:25 PM   #45
MeddlingMonk
Veteran

Quote:
this player have no shadow at all
That isn't exactly right. In this video Manny doesn't have a shadow in the corridor outside his office, and he should, but he does in his office and in the garage. The LucasHacks article on available commands for fiddling with GF does not list one for turning off shadows, so that's what I'm going by. And I suspect that the guy who made that video did nothing to turn off the shadow in the corridor, because why turn if off for the corridor part and back on in the garage? More than likely it's something that just happened. I've had shadow weirdness myself. Usually it's black but sometimes it has irregular flickering.
Old 12-12-2009, 08:33 AM   #46
Kloppstock
Rookie

But all progressions have an end
It looked good at start, but in certain areas after leaving the office buildiing the graphic in Nuevo Marrow is perm screwed up every time

Free Image Hosting by ImageBam.com
without any AA active

And if disabling 3d accelerator instead, i get the black-snail trail after Manny, so its locked positions after all
Kloppstock is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-24-2010, 12:55 PM   #47
stewlil
Rookie

Anyone got this working on Windows 7?
Won't even let me install it on my 64bit system.

"There's nothing better than spitting in the face of someone that hands you an ultimatum." Deron Miller of cKy
stewlil is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-06-2010, 12:29 AM   #48
GreenFee
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewlil View Post
Anyone got this working on Windows 7?
Won't even let me install it on my 64bit system.
Hi mate, I just got it run under Win 7 x64.
use the fan-made installer.
http://quick.mixnmojo.com/grim-fandango-setup

Download this archive http://folk.ntnu.no/bjarner/Grim/GRIMDATA.rar and overwrite the files in your install directory with the files from the archive.

At last, start the game using the launcher which came with the installer.
The starter is also fan-made and does a good job.

No compatibility mode, nothing like that, just run the game and enjoy.
Hope that I was able to help. ^^
GreenFee is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-05-2010, 07:05 PM   #49
danielgovinda
Lurker

laptop compatibility?

Hey,
I run Windows Vista 64 on an ASUS G71G gaming notebook, with an NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GS graphics card.
Is there a chance I can run the game?

Thanks,
Dan
danielgovinda is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-05-2010, 08:44 PM   #50
MeddlingMonk
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielgovinda View Post
Is there a chance I can run the game?
Probably. But what you'll really need to do is to use the Quick & Easy setup program for GF rather than the original installer. You may also need the RAR from the very first post in this thread; in fact, I'd recommend using it by default.
Old 07-03-2010, 03:01 PM   #51
Mike at RadioShack
Lurker

When I try to play Grim Fandango, I have freezing and sound problems within the first few minutes. I used the installer suggested to install it onto my 64-bit Windows 7 and then I saw this forum to solve my new persisting -freezing and sound- problem. When I clicked on the link though, I got a "403 Forbidden" page. Is there a reason why this isn't available? Help would be appreciated. I've heard great things about this game and it seems pretty interesting thus far, but I'd like to be able to progress rather than replay the first few minutes. Thank you!
Mike at RadioShack is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-04-2010, 11:56 AM   #52
Longcat

Hmmm, I may not have that serverspace anymore, I'll upload the patch again on a new server. Thank you for your patience
Longcat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-04-2010, 10:31 PM   #53
Mike at RadioShack
Lurker

That was much quicker than expected (so much for patience haha). I appreciate it too. I've heard great things about this game and I've enjoyed what little I've played. Until then, I think I'll give Monkey Island a look as it also has many fans.
Old 07-05-2010, 03:45 PM   #54
Longcat

sorry, was a bit high last night so I forgot all about this:P
I've now updated the first post in the thread with a new download link for the patch, moving to a(hopefully) more permanent server.

Enjoy.
Old 07-06-2010, 05:38 PM   #55
Mike at RadioShack
Lurker

I tried it out for a about ten minutes - as it usually fails me within that time - and everything seems to be working perfectly. Thanks a lot!
Old 07-06-2010, 08:12 PM   #56
Longcat

Kool. Nice to hear it
Old 07-10-2010, 06:17 PM   #57
Mike at RadioShack
Lurker

Thanks again. I beat the game a few days ago and, I must say, it was one of the best games I've played. Especially,when you compare it's storyline to the monotony of today's games. I'm crazy about a fictional dead man :/.
Old 11-06-2010, 12:50 PM   #58
sonic220
Lurker

the file is again missing.
i've windows 7 64 and the game simply doesn't run
sonic220 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-15-2010, 02:20 PM   #59
Scorpicus
Rookie

Location: Wallowing in mud... or chocolate. I can't tell... no, wait. Thats mud.
Yep, the link in the first message goes to internet cyberspace again, but I found the RAR file hosted at a French GF fansite for those needing it: http://grim-fandango.servhome.org/do...h/GRIMDATA.rar
Scorpicus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-08-2011, 02:51 PM   #60
DjDiabolik
Lurker

Ok the games working but i have an italian copy of this games.. with this archive extracted the games spoken italian but all menù and all text it's in english.... it's possibly to obtain a similar thinks with my italian copy ?
DjDiabolik is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-09-2011, 06:42 PM   #61
Longcat

Yes, patch your original Italian version and replace the GRIM.TAB file in my archive with the one from that. I have not tested it tho.

I strongly advice you try running the game with Residual as it is now completable although still slightly buggy.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:57 AM   #62
DjDiabolik
Lurker

It's continues to goes in "Read Memory Error" and it's impossible to play!!

I have try anything but it's impossible to play.........

*EDIT*
I have play 3 years from windows.. it's possible with residual to import all original savegames ??

*EDIT 2PART*
OHHH YEAH!
I have found this patch here:
Code:
http://www.lucasdelirium.it/utility.php
After i have copied all file in my HARD DISK following the thread in this forum i have installed the patch 1.01 and after i have installed the patch v2 included in link post above!
After that directly from windows for me it's possible to finish the games without any crash.....

I thinks this patch working for all other language of this games and i thinks working in all windows (including windows 7) !! I thinks it's possibly to make a definitive guide:
- Installing the games with original CD or using mixmojo custom setup
- Installing the patch 1.01
- Installing this patch v2
- And now it's possibly or using the launcher 1.5 or using a no-cd version of exe without problems.

If you can try this solution!

Last edited by DjDiabolik; 06-10-2011 at 09:57 AM.
DjDiabolik is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-13-2012, 09:52 PM   #63
CaptainHistory
Lurker

Current Game: Grim Fandango
I bought a copy of this long-desired game this summer. I downloaded a Grim setup and launcher, and the game started just fine. The problem I am running into now is that the game keeps freezing every few minutes--the music stops and the characters start to skip, typically on a line of dialogue--so I have to keep saving, quitting, and re-entering the program. I am using a Windows 7 laptop. I'm not very PC savvy, so any advice will have to be dumbed down quite a bit.
CaptainHistory is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-13-2012, 11:47 PM   #64
MeddlingMonk
Veteran

You'd actually be better of using Residual. The documentation on the website is perfectly clear, but basically you simply have to install Residual, create a folder in a convenient place on your hard drive to copy every file on the CDs ending with .lab plus the grim.tab file. You also would need to download to that same directory the Grim Fandango patch (available on the Residual website). You don't have to install it. You don't need to. Just put the patch executable in the same folder with the files copied from the CD. Then you run Residual and add the game. The interface is similar to ScummVM, so if you've used ScummVM, you've already got the basics of Residual. But you should read the documentation on the Residual website anyway.

There are other settings, like built-in antialiasing, but I'd focus on just the basic setup before bothering with tweaks.

Residual is still at an early stage of development, but it's gotten far enough that the game is completely playable with the only major bugs being graphical glitches.

As for what you've already installed, you could try fiddling with compatibility settings, but I think it's simpler to go with Residual. It's also already better than the original in one big way in that Residual fixes a major bug (that stops an important piece of dialog from ever happening) that even Tim Schafer didn't know existed until Residual found and fixed it.
Old 09-08-2012, 04:24 PM   #65
Karlum
Lurker

Great job Longcat! Had those hyperthreading/dualcore problems but your file pack seem to have solved it. Thanks!
Karlum is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-11-2013, 07:46 AM   #66
SketchSlayer
Lurker

Unhappy New link please

Old links to the working exe are either 404ing or 403ing.
I don't wanna have to keep saving every few minutes then quitting and loading T.\\
SketchSlayer is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-11-2013, 09:02 AM   #67
SketchSlayer
Lurker

Lightbulb A simpler solution to the dual core problems

Well since the awesomely patched exe I heard so much about was pretty much gone from the innernets D:< I hunted a while and came up with a solution that seems to be working pretty darn perfectly.

Required items:

One computer

One copy of Grim Fandango that will get into the game (aka a version patched for modern pcs with a launcher I found somewhere a while back which didn't fix the problems but did make it install on a 64 bit system) or one that doesn't get that far and the 64 bit installer that I lost the link to

One copy of a launcher thing like the one found here: http://www.majorgeeks.com/Win2000_Launcher_d438.html

Recipe:

Step 1: Install Grim fandango with a 64 bit installer as found elsewhere in the internets

Step 2:Open Win2kLauncher or other similar program

Step 3:Fill out the program name as Grim Fandango (Or desired name within the launcher)

Step 4:Use the button in the launcher to browse to Grim fandango's main exe (or as I did due to laziness the other launcher's shortcut on the desktop(that is installed by the 64 bit installer))

Step 5:Give it whatever priority you feel it should have with the scroll bar (I went one off the max since the max seemed a bit high) and uncheck all the processor boxes apart from the first (it shows 9 boxes iirc even on dual core machines)

Step 6:Use the launch button in the win2klauncher after selecting the name you gave the profile for Grim Fandango

Step 7:?

Step 8:Profit (or just have fun playing Grim Fandango without any nasty audio freezing/game freezing, that works too)

So yeah I hope this helps anyone with problems in future.
Long live the slayer of all sketches!
SketchSlayer is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-15-2013, 09:38 PM   #68
MeddlingMonk
Veteran

None of that is even necessary any more. Residual is in a good enough state now. It has some issues--it's in a beta state right now--but it works, and has even fixed a number of bugs in the original game (including not being able to talk to Domino, usually, in Year 3). Just install Residual, make a folder for the game wherever on your hard drive, copy the .lab files from both CDs and grim.tab into it, put the patch executable in there as well (don't run it, just copy it), point Residual at the folder (it works like ScummVM) and you're golden.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:01 PM   #69
Longcat

Like stated above, my patch is now obsolete thanks tho the great efforts of the ResidualVM team. It is THE way to play Grim Fandango these days.

That being said, I still have the patched files, should anyone require them for some reason I can't think of right now.
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Grim Fandango Discussion > General Forums > Glottis' Garage > For all of you people still having problems running the game