lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Sega Cancels Obisidian's Aliens RPG
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 02-13-2009, 09:36 AM   #1
Arátoeldar
Flame Imperishable

Sega Cancels Obisidian's Aliens RPG

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/57214

This is the second time Josh Sawyer has been screwed (lead developer). The first time was when he was the lead developer for the Van Buren project (Fallout 3 for Interplay).

For you Obsidian haters I refer you to the following:

Sonic 2006 load times

and

Sonic 2006

Not all those who wander are lost.-J.R.R. Tolkien

I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it but by it I see everything else - C.S. Lewis
Arátoeldar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-13-2009, 01:54 PM   #2
Darth InSidious
A handful of dust.

Current Game: KotOR II
Third time. He was also on the cancelled Baldur's Gate 3. The man's got terrible luck, which is a pity as he seems like a nice guy.

The thing which makes me worried about this, though, is that it increases the pressure on Alpha Protocol to do well. But that's also published by Sega, and if that were to fail or be cancelled, then Obsidian would be pretty royally screwed, I'd say.

While there's no official confirmation, there's no denial, either - which makes this all the more worrying, I think. On the other hand, its possible the situation is more fluid than we're aware, and negotiations in the background are holding back any announcement.

UPDATES: First, there's this, and also two posts by someone from seganerds on the Obsidian boards (link, link) which all seem to corroborate the idea that the Aliens RPG is still going ahead. No firm news, yet, but it's interesting nonetheless, and the lack of official comment makes me think that perhaps the situation here is far from static.

Works-In-Progress
~
Mods Released
~
Quid existis in desertum videre?

Last edited by Darth InSidious; 02-13-2009 at 02:53 PM.
Darth InSidious is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-13-2009, 04:01 PM   #3
jrrtoken

****. At least there's Alpha Protocol to look forward to, even though I was really looking forward to both Aliens and AP. As long as Sega doesn't completely execute AP, then perhaps Obsidian can be saved from the gallows. Still, there does seem to be a flicker of hope, albeit a small one. Either way, this is worst news I've had all day, and perhaps, all week. Damn Friday the 13th.
jrrtoken is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-13-2009, 04:10 PM   #4
Darth InSidious
A handful of dust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastramiX View Post
****. At least there's Alpha Protocol to look forward to, even though I was really looking forward to both Aliens and AP. As long as Sega doesn't completely execute AP, then perhaps Obsidian can be saved from the gallows. Still, there does seem to be a flicker of hope, albeit a small one. Either way, this is worst news I've had all day, and perhaps, all week. Damn Friday the 13th.
Cancellation is still a rumour, and given the way the rumours are changing at the moment, I'd guess it's not entirely true. I wouldn't be surprised if the situation was fairly fluid behind the scenes, so there may not be any need to get downhearted yet.

Works-In-Progress
~
Mods Released
~
Old 02-13-2009, 04:14 PM   #5
jrrtoken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth InSidious View Post
Cancellation is still a rumour, and given the way the rumours are changing at the moment, I'd guess it's not entirely true. I wouldn't be surprised if the situation was fairly fluid behind the scenes, so there may not be any need to get downhearted yet.
True, although Obsidian's rather bad luck with publishers sets me at an awkward feeling of neither optimism nor pessimism. I'm a bit like this, actually:
Old 02-13-2009, 06:54 PM   #6
Darth InSidious
A handful of dust.

Further update: "We're doing fine" says OEI CEO. Note the total lack of comment on the Aliens RPG, and make thereof what you will.

Works-In-Progress
~
Mods Released
~
Old 02-13-2009, 08:25 PM   #7
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Folder extraordinaire Forum Veteran 
I certainly hope this rumor doesn't turn out to be true. I was looking forward to some Aliens RPG goodness.

Want to battle against cancer and other chronic diseases? Join Team LFN!

Char Ell is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-13-2009, 08:43 PM   #8
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Same here. OEI needs to catch a break. They are, after all, the last hope of CRPGs.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-13-2009, 08:47 PM   #9
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire 
An RPG in the Aliens setting always intrigued me. I hope it's not being canceled. I don't understand why this sudden 180 degree turn by Sega, but I hope it doesn't affect Alpha Protocol and Obsidian as a whole in any serious way.

And Josh indeed doesn't seem to have much luck.

PSN id: BE_Miltiades

Miltiades is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-14-2009, 10:32 AM   #10
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
It doesn't matter that I dislike Obsidian, hearing news about a game you'd potentially enjoy is always bad. Even if it's still a rumour.

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-14-2009, 12:21 PM   #11
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miltiades View Post
I don't understand why this sudden 180 degree turn by Sega, but I hope it doesn't affect Alpha Protocol and Obsidian as a whole in any serious way.
If I were to tell you that Sega's parent company was expecting to post a loss in excess of USD$235 million for their fiscal year ending next month, then would that help shed some light on the possible reason?

Old 02-14-2009, 12:43 PM   #12
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Char Ell View Post
If I were to tell you that Sega's parent company was expecting to post a loss in excess of USD$235 million for their fiscal year ending next month, then would that help shed some light on the possible reason?
Yeah, that'd help.

Old 02-14-2009, 02:05 PM   #13
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
Right now Sega seems to have a lot of money invested in Wii games. Example: MadWorld, The Conduit and Sonic and the Black Knight.

Lynk Former is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-14-2009, 03:14 PM   #14
jrrtoken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk Former View Post
Right now Sega seems to have a lot of money invested in Wii games. Example: MadWorld, The Conduit and Sonic and the Black Knight.
True, except the former two are being developed by rather independent developers, while the last one is in-house.
Old 02-14-2009, 03:18 PM   #15
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
Quote:
True, except the former two are being developed by rather independent developers, while the last one is in-house.
Yes, and your point? Sega has still invested money in the titles, especially The Conduit which no other publisher wanted to touch.

Lynk Former is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-25-2009, 06:32 PM   #16
jrrtoken

An update on this, albeit unofficial. It appears that an Obsidian employee, a David Kondor, updated his LinkedIn profile. What stands out most, is this tidbit:
Quote:
Designer for canceled third-person action Aliens RPG (Xbox 360, PS3, & PC)
Damn. Although it is not official news, since it does seem to come form an insider, this might be the de facto confirmation of Aliens' cancellation.

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/7/951/358
Old 02-25-2009, 06:42 PM   #17
Yar-El
Banned

Current Game: The Witcher
Quote:
An update on this, albeit unofficial. It appears that an Obsidian employee, a David Kondor, updated his LinkedIn profile. What stands out most, is this tidbit:

Damn. Although it is not official news, since it does seem to come form an insider, this might be the de facto confirmation of Aliens' cancellation.

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/7/951/358
I read that it was put on indefinite hold. Maybe we will get word soon.
Yar-El is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-25-2009, 06:56 PM   #18
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

@PastramiX: It also says ex-Designer for OE, so I'm guessing he's one of the people that got fired. It may not be official, but I fear the worst.

Old 02-26-2009, 12:14 AM   #19
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

As do I. Hopefully Obsidian's Aliens RPG is, at the most, on hold, even if indefinite, with a chance for revival instead of just plain cancelled. Not sure if there is a substantial difference between the two conditions though.

Old 06-16-2009, 11:21 AM   #20
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Seems like there may still be a faint glimmer of hope:
UK, June 16, 2009 - Those cries of 'game over, man, game over' might have come a little soon, as it seems that work is still underway on Obsidian's Alien RPG.

Forming part of a trilogy of games based on the classic movie franchise planned by SEGA, reports last February suggested that the game was now on indefinite hold, a fate that also seemed to have beset Gearbox's Aliens: Colonial Marines and that left Rebellion's Aliens vs. Predator as the only game likely to see the light of day.

Comments from SEGA at E3 suggest that there's hope left for the waylaid Aliens games, with Joystiq being told 'Aliens vs. Predator will be the first to ship out of our triplet of Aliens titles; hence it was shown at this year's E3. We'll have more news to share about the other two games in the near future so stay tuned.'
http://www.joystiq.com/2009/06/15/se...es-aliens-rpg/
DarthParametric is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-16-2009, 01:40 PM   #21
jrrtoken

As of now, the only way that I could see Aliens returning to development would be when Alpha Protocol is released, with Avellone's team from AP working on it. That leaves Sawyer with Fallout: Van Buren New Vegas, and another team working on the top-secret classified project that's in the works.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:38 AM   #22
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

I'm all for the resurrection of the Aliens RPG! (pun fully intended )

In my mind there isn't any question that the game has at least been put on hold, otherwise I think we would have seen something at this year's E3. If Sega ever green lights it again my interest in an Aliens RPG experience is still present.

Old 06-27-2009, 01:32 AM   #23
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Sigh. Not that there was much doubt, but now it is official - http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/59314 I don't know wtf they didn't just say so right from the start. Stringing people along with hints that it might still go ahead is uber lame.
Old 06-27-2009, 02:19 AM   #24
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 

Yet another awesome "coulda-/woulda-/shoulda-been" for Obsidian.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker

Last edited by Q; 06-27-2009 at 03:14 AM.
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-27-2009, 06:16 AM   #25
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Crap. Was one of the most intriguing titles in development, in my opinion. A real shame it's now definitely gone.

The other Alien titles Sega has in development mean nothing to me, so there goes my Alien experience.

Old 06-27-2009, 08:25 AM   #26
jrrtoken

Unhappy

Damn, I was really disappointed with this, even though I couldn't really imagine what an Aliens RPG would play out. Some of the gameplay descriptions sounded really interesting, such as planting traps and turrets for the xenomorphs, and using squad-based tactics to pick them off. Even the concept art looked flat-out awesome.

Show spoiler
Old 10-05-2009, 04:07 PM   #27
jrrtoken

Pardon the unintentional double post, for the reason is justified.

Behold, a gracious employee at Obsidian has released all of the ill-fated Aliens: Crucible concept art. Might I also interject that it seems as if it would turn out as an excellent psuedo-sequel to System Shock 2, in at least environment and art direction only.

For example:
Show spoiler
Show spoiler

Source
Old 10-05-2009, 04:36 PM   #28
Jeff
Rating: Awesome

Current Game: SWTOR
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
You scared me for a minute, I saw this as the latest post from the SWK forum and just saw "Sega Cancels Obsidian's..."

Too bad about this one though, the art does look neat. I have still never seen any of the Alien movies. ;o

Follow me on Twitter
Follow StarWarsMMO.net on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
Jeff is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-05-2009, 05:01 PM   #29
Pavlos
Scruffy Englishman

Current Game: Viking Warrior Poets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Too bad about this one though, the art does look neat. I have still never seen any of the Alien movies. ;o
What.

StarWarsKnights.com -- News and features will be returning shortly...

I 'gin to be a-weary of the sun,
And wish the estate o' the world were now undone.
Pavlos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-05-2009, 05:37 PM   #30
TriggerGod

Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
I have still never seen any of the Alien movies. ;o
You haven't played Half Life 2 and you haven't watched any of the Aliens movies?

You are a brave man, tbh.
TriggerGod is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-05-2009, 06:57 PM   #31
cire992

^ I've never seen any of the movies either. It probably would have taken this game to get me to see at least one of them. It's too bad, and if this ends up happening to Alpha Protocol, I'm gonna be pissed.

"My blasters are always set to stun, princess."
cire992 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-05-2009, 07:15 PM   #32
Darth Avlectus
If Sunday you're free...

Current Game: Poisoning pigeons in the park.
I know these posts were awhile ago but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth InSidious View Post
Third time. He was also on the cancelled Baldur's Gate 3. The man's got terrible luck, which is a pity as he seems like a nice guy.
Makes me wonder in the big picture how honest business ever happens or succeeds. =/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk Former View Post
Let us not forget also the ca$h in chunk from their character's advent in the most recent installment of samsh bros.
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-05-2009, 07:18 PM   #33
Jeff
Rating: Awesome

Current Game: SWTOR
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerGod View Post
You haven't played Half Life 2 and you haven't watched any of the Aliens movies?

You are a brave man, tbh.
Funny you say that, I just started Half-Life 2 today.

Follow me on Twitter
Follow StarWarsMMO.net on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
Jeff is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-05-2009, 07:25 PM   #34
Darth Avlectus
If Sunday you're free...

Current Game: Poisoning pigeons in the park.
^^^If you think you'll like HL2, you'll love buying GMOD on steam.

We'll murder them all, amid laughter and merriment...except for the few we take home to experiment!

"I cant see S***! --YOU GO TO HELL!" --Tourettes guy
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-05-2009, 10:16 PM   #35
jonathan7
Exiled Jedi...

Contest winner - Modding LFN Staff Member Veteran Modder Helpful! 
I am considerably gutted Cocept art looked awesome!

"Love is the only reality and it is not a mere sentiment. It is the ultimate truth that lies at the heart of creation." - Rabindranath Tagore

"Many a doctrine is like a window pane. We see truth through it but it divides us from truth." - Kahlil Gibran
jonathan7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-06-2009, 12:24 AM   #36
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
I didn't see anything of note in the concept art to be honest. It doesn't really tell you anything about what the game might have turned out like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cire992 View Post
I've never seen any of the movies either.
Wow. As long as you only watch the first 2 (i.e. Alien and Aliens) you won't regret it.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:41 AM   #37
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

Concept Art looks deliciously neat, but you know how it is with concept art. Only 40% of the coolness ends up transferred to the final product.

As for the game itself, I'm not affected either way because having seen Alien (and what a mighty fine movie it was), I wouldn't be terribly interested in an RPG based off it.

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-06-2009, 01:22 AM   #38
cire992

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthParametric View Post
Wow. As long as you only watch the first 2 (i.e. Alien and Aliens) you won't regret it.
I watched the beginning of the first one once, it was good, but I fell asleep about 20 mins in, as usual.

"My blasters are always set to stun, princess."
cire992 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-06-2009, 05:23 AM   #39
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cire992 View Post
I watched the beginning of the first one once, it was good, but I fell asleep about 20 mins in, as usual.
Understandable. Both are a little slow to get moving. You should watch at least the last 10 minutes of the first movie though. It features one of the greatest special effects in the history of Hollywood.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:45 PM   #40
Pavlos
Scruffy Englishman

Current Game: Viking Warrior Poets
Source

Though Obsidian Entertainment's Aliens RPG was cancelled some time ago, a short clip of an alpha build has recently been leaked. The video, lasting for just under two minutes, doesn't demonstrate much in the way of the game's RPG mechanics but on display is the sort of combat gameplay we might have expected to play.

StarWarsKnights.com -- News and features will be returning shortly...

I 'gin to be a-weary of the sun,
And wish the estate o' the world were now undone.
Pavlos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > The Outlander Club > Sega Cancels Obisidian's Aliens RPG