lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Alienware and my Dealing with DELL
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 07-19-2010, 03:54 PM   #1
Elite Duck
Rookie

Angry Alienware and my Dealing with DELL

On June 18th my Alienware m15x arrived. They are the most incredible gaming machines I have ever used. They are fast, reliable and easy to use. The only problems I had was overheating and the fact it weighs a LOT. Well, my other problem was the optical disk drive. It's got that 'reel in' feature that Nintendo Wii's and Apple computers have. What happened was I was trying to put a blu-ray DVD inside it and it wouldn't go in. So I pushed a bit harder and it went in. But it wasn't 'reeled in'. All of a sudden it's stuck in there and I can't get it out. So I get some tweezers and pull it out, but the protective layer peels right off. So now I'm left with a broken blu-ray, and optical drive for my M15x. Now, I have a repair man come to fix it. But he says "Uh...I have no experience with these...." but he gives it a go anyway. It turns out that he brought the non-blu ray drive so he had to go and get a different part. But when he was putting it back together, boom, he snaps a connector and now 2 things need replacing. Naturally I told him to P*SS off and send someone qualified. That was all I heard after that. So after a week I phoned up Dell and said "Okay, I'm sick of this, come and get it and take it to your repair center to fix it by non-numskulls. So they came and got it and it should be back by the end of the week. I'm finally happy about that, but you know, I'd expect more from people I actually paid 1500 for a laptop. Anyone else had similar dealings with Dell or other computer companies like this?

-ED

P.S: By the way, it runs the KotOR games amazingly!

Elite Duck is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-19-2010, 04:11 PM   #2
jrrtoken

Uh, it's really your fault for trying to wrench out a disc with bloody tweezers, or any blunt instrument; it completely clusterf***s the loading mechanism. Firstly, can your drive even read Blu-Ray discs? If it can't, then that's probably why it's stuck, which is both a hardware and software issue.
jrrtoken is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-19-2010, 04:34 PM   #3
Elite Duck
Rookie

No, they are custom built at factories and you can and stuff like blu-ray to them. See here:

http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/162/demo.png

You're right, it is my fault but what I'm mad at is the real lack of help that DELL provides. I spend a lot of money on it and I'd expected more from them.

Old 07-19-2010, 05:29 PM   #4
True_Avery
Banned

I call this bad karma for buying an Alienware. For starters, its a Dell. I don't need to say anything else. Secondly, Alienware is quite well known for its atrocious customer service, its egregious wait times for pre-builts, and so on and so forth. Thirdly, Alienware is the Mac of gaming rigs; overpriced and overrated. Seriously, anything bad that happens to that computer gets a thumbs up in my book since, in reality, all you are doing is buying a really expensive case with some basic internals, most likely put together poorly with pretty much a guarantee of bad followup service.

That aside... you tried to rip it out with tweezers? I would have pulled the entire thing out, taken it apart, and removed the disk that way. Your second mistake was trying to force the disk...

Your first was getting a "reel in" disk drive. Most unreliable pieces of junk I can think of, especially the cheap ones put into cars. I rarely hear of one still working, or one that hasn't eaten a disk, after at least 2 years. The tray ones may break, but they are much easier to take apart and, hell, if the tray motor stops working it can be replaced cheap. The damn things can even take forcing pretty well. Even if they don't charge you for the repair and shipping for this incident, I still say you should go out of your way to try and find a compatible tray loader. Sure, it may cost you around $100 but I can guarantee you the "reel in" will break again, and will break soon.

EDIT: I went through and built a respectable rig with the customization tool for your laptop and am impressed at how high the prize tag went. Could build a comparable rig for half the price.
True_Avery is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-19-2010, 05:41 PM   #5
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PastramiX View Post
Uh, it's really your fault for trying to wrench out a disc with bloody tweezers, or any blunt instrument; it completely clusterf***s the loading mechanism.
I’d say the problem even started before that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Duck View Post
What happened was I was trying to put a blu-ray DVD inside it and it wouldn't go in. So I pushed a bit harder and it went in.
If the Disc would not go in, that is an indication that there may be a problem. Never ever force a disc into a machine. Examine the disc, try another disc, but don’t force.

I too bought an Alienware from Dell. I love it so far and I have not had any problems with mine, of course I didn’t get the laptop. First Dell I've purchased that you don't have to wear earplugs when setting next to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by True_Avery View Post
I call this bad karma for buying an Alienware.
Avery everything you said may be true, but if I would have built one, I’m sure Evil Q and Astrotoy7 could have set me on the right track, but other than auto transmissions and stereo equipment I’m all thumbs on building anything. So even poorly constructed is better than self-constructed in my case. I rebuilt a lawnmower in 7th grade shop, when started for my final it set the teacher’s desk on fire.

Last edited by mimartin; 07-19-2010 at 05:55 PM.
mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-19-2010, 06:18 PM   #6
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

Forum Veteran The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
I just bought a Zoostorm gaming PC for 1/5 the price... and have no problems, in fact its sweet

adamqd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-19-2010, 09:07 PM   #7
Boba Rhett
I Slay Dragons

Current Game: Scrolling Eldery
LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! LF Jester Helpful! 
Rule one when working with electronics; forcing something into something else always makes for a more entertaining situation for others.

Doing this on an alienware adds a 5x multiplier to the amusement factor per every 1000 dollars the pc is overpriced.

It's science.
Boba Rhett is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-19-2010, 09:08 PM   #8
jonathan7
Exiled Jedi...

Contest winner - Modding LFN Staff Member Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Why buy Alienware when you can buy a Rock - Speaking as an IT tech, Alienware's customer support sucks -

Rock's is excellent about a year ago one of the hinges broke on my laptop after being mishandled by customs officials. Despite it being dropped, and all my security stickers having fallen off (this technically invalidating my warranty), Rock were still happy to have my computer in fixed under their 3year pan worldwide warranty for no charge. Quite simply as Mitch one of the guys I work with, my laptop is the only one he knows which has it's own name and own personality. If you want a high performance gaming laptop, made by people who know what they're going and will guarantee their product like the above, what more can you want?

j7's 2 cents

"Love is the only reality and it is not a mere sentiment. It is the ultimate truth that lies at the heart of creation." - Rabindranath Tagore

"Many a doctrine is like a window pane. We see truth through it but it divides us from truth." - Kahlil Gibran
jonathan7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-19-2010, 09:28 PM   #9
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boba Rhett View Post
Rule one when working with electronics; forcing something into something else always makes for a more entertaining situation for others.

Doing this on an alienware adds a 5x multiplier to the amusement factor per every 1000 dollars the pc is overpriced.

It's science.

You're laughing right now, aren't you?

Elite Duck, sorry you had so much trouble with customer service. My husband is in the same category as you: "When in doubt with something stuck, get a hammer and force it in." I'm trying to teach my son "If it's stuck, STOP and see what the problem is first." It's saved me much heartache over the years.

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-19-2010, 10:25 PM   #10
Bob Lion54
Jr. Malkavian Detective

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boba Rhett View Post

It's science.
I believe that was Newton's Fourteenth Law. It's largely forgotten as no one knew what electronics were back then, even Newton himself, but it was axiomatic enough that he instinctively knew it to be true.

Bob Lion54 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-20-2010, 12:43 PM   #11
JediAthos

Current Game: Defiance
Forum Veteran Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
I bought an Alienware desktop prior to their purchase by Dell and I never had any trouble with it personally, but obviously I'm in the minority. Did I overpay...yeah probably, but at the time I didn't know nearly as much about computers as I do now. Given that, I'd owned it for about five years when I gutted it and rebuilt it. The only thing left of the original desktop is the case

@Elite Duck: yeah...I can't really say anything that hasn't already been said, but hopefully once you get it back you won't have anymore issues.

"You'll find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

JediAthos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-20-2010, 08:44 PM   #12
Tommycat
>^..^<

Current Game: Real Life 1.0(BETA)
Forum Veteran 
hmmm I never seem to have any difficulty with Dell Tech support. Granted, I'm on the team(new job... Yay!), so that may color my perspective. What irks me more than anything is people who break their own stuff, then expect a break fix tech to carry every part known to man to their site.

er something like that lol.

Actually I do break fix, and you wouldn't believe HALF the stuff people do to their machines... one lady "decorated" her case with refrigerator magnets... Ya know, I used to think that those "coffee cup holder" stories were just made up...

I wouldn't blame Dell for it. You got an oddball overpriced gaming laptop. For the money you should have gotten a Dell Precision M6500. It is a pretty good machine, and might I add quiet. Alienware, as far as I'm concerned you are paying for the pretty alien head on your machine...

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." Thomas Jefferson
Tommycat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-20-2010, 09:05 PM   #13
Darth Avlectus
Your point?

Current Game: Soul Calibur 5
I got a true story... I headbutted a dell off a table in school b/c it was such a P.O.S. and the monitor fell and hit the ground. Funny thing is it was still just fine but the rest of it began acting retarded.

"I cant see S***! --YOU GO TO HELL!" --Tourettes guy
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-20-2010, 11:03 PM   #14
Tommycat
>^..^<

Forum Veteran 
Interestingly, Dell and HP laptops get a lot of flack, but they work really well under some pretty rough conditions. I worked for HP and now Dell. Both have some pretty good hardware. I did a drop test with an HP, a Dell, and a Macbook... Guess which one DIDN'T survive.

Note: personal preference is probably leaning more toward HP as the cost versus equipment is better. I use an HP at home. Pretty good. As for a gaming rig, I'll build one when I feel I need one. I built my last one. It's darn near brain dead simple for me.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." Thomas Jefferson
Old 07-21-2010, 06:05 AM   #15
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
P.S: By the way, it runs the KotOR games amazingly!
For $2250.00, I'd damn well hope so.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-21-2010, 12:26 PM   #16
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Notable contributor Helpful! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member 
Personal tirades and the highly scientific concept of Karma is staggeringly unhelpful.

Here was have a fellow member with an unfortunate experience. As Mimartin eloquently stated, not everyone wants to DIY, and some do like the portability of lappies.

@EliteDuck, my advice is to be persistent and patient. I went through a support query that lasted six months, but the outcome was very favourable(I received a $2000 refund from Samsung on a discontinued product almost 3 years after I had bought it)

Here are my tips for dealing with customer support.

*Ring regularly for status updates and ask for an update, or why nothing has happenned

*Make note of who you are talking to and if applicable ask for a ref no for the call. Hence, when you call back, you can say "3 days ago I spoke to X who said they were going to follow this up..."

*Get the support rep to clarify your case and its status - in my situation, someone actually messed up my case number with someone elses. It got picked up because everytime I used to call I would recount who I had talked to and what the case's status was. I used to write it all down in my gmail calendar.

*Feel free to be forceful and direct, but don't be rude to people on the phone. If you get someone really helpful/nice, remember their name and always ask for them.

*Use the fact that your pc isn't around to get more exercise

Finally, leave the tweezers on mums dresser next time.

Hope you get your replacement soon.

Also, any gaming lappie would absolutely benefit from a laptop cooling pad

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Astrotoy7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-21-2010, 12:44 PM   #17
N-5/Prudii
Rookie

Current Game: New Vegas
Lol, I'm on a M17x right now, never had any problems...

Show spoiler
N-5/Prudii is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-21-2010, 03:14 PM   #18
Elite Duck
Rookie

I got an email today. Read this:

Dear Valued Alienware Customer,

We are sorry that your machine was further damaged by a member of our staff. In compensation for this we would like to offer you an Alienware M11x computer to use on the go. We are doing all we can to get your system back in your hands and we look forward to returning it to you.

Your new M11x will be shipped to you with your repaired laptop as soon as it is fixed. You should also note that your repair will be finished within the next 7 business days.

If you have any questions relating to your laptop. Feel free to reply with any questions you might have.

Sincerely,
The Dell Team

It sounds like they don't want me to sue or something. I wasn't planning on it but there you go. I never thought being a complete tard with tweezers would get me a free laptop. Has anyone been compensated by Dell before? I'm very surprised by this.

-ED

Old 07-21-2010, 06:32 PM   #19
Darth Avlectus
Your point?

Well...Don't make a further mistake by trusting Symantec.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:05 PM   #20
True_Avery
Banned

Hahaha, nice. A "don't sue us" bribe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrotoy7 View Post
Personal tirades and the highly scientific concept of Karma is staggeringly unhelpful.
Well, its a good thing he didn't ask for help then. If you read, he asked for thoughts on Dell and, by extension I assume, Alienware.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:20 PM   #21
Q
The one who knocks

They gave you a free laptop? Awesome!

Waitaminute. "No optical drive."

The ****? Fleabay it.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Old 07-21-2010, 08:40 PM   #22
Tommycat
>^..^<

Forum Veteran 
Actually it looks like they are going above and beyond what was necessary. You broke your machine, they sent a tech that SHOULD have known better, but now are going to make it right... they didn't have to do that. But all they would have had to do was repair your current one. I think you should look at it as them doing positive customer relations, and even being proactive.

I dunno, I just think that when they do something nice, you should look at it as a very nice gesture. Possibly even hoping for positive customer reviews for them making it right by doing even more. BUT I guess, that's just too much to expect. They do something nice for you and you call it avoiding a lawsuit. Typical...

Last edited by Tommycat; 07-21-2010 at 09:04 PM.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:47 PM   #23
Q
The one who knocks

Says the Dell employee.

But, yeah, they're definitely going above and beyond, which is cool.

-Toker
Old 07-21-2010, 09:07 PM   #24
Tommycat
>^..^<

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Q View Post
Says the Dell employee.

But, yeah, they're definitely going above and beyond, which is cool.
Well I CERTAINLY wouldn't have authorized giving him a laptop.

Meh Fortunately I am not tied to dell. I still say that for the money I'd rather get an HP. But then I've also worked for them too haha.. Come to think of it the only one I haven't worked for was Fujitsu.

Old 07-22-2010, 05:44 AM   #25
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Avery
I call this bad karma for buying an Alienware.
Quote:
.....a free laptop.....
See Avery, chuck it in the bin. Karma don't work.

Excellent news Elite Duck. That is easily the best customer support experience I have ever heard of, and I have waded through thousands at tech forums over the years.

Congrats! and be careful next time

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Old 07-22-2010, 10:25 AM   #26
True_Avery
Banned

I don't believe this is "good customer support" for a f***ing second. They sent a guy, he was incompetent and broke more of your computer, so they are covering their butt by trying a bribe so that you don't, say, make more threads like this elsewhere.

That isn't good customer support, nor is it "doing something nice". Don't make me gag. If anything, its a "we're sorry our support is terrible; here is our cheapest laptop to show we care".

You get free shiny product, get really happy, 5 star review they can put on their site about their support when, in actuality, they sucked in every part of their job except in excelling at bribing. That, in my opinion, is the worst, and most underhanded a customer support team can be since it not only breeds false positives, but breeds more customers sucked into their system. With how much they overprice their pre-builts, a $900 free laptop is pocket change.

Last edited by True_Avery; 07-22-2010 at 10:30 AM.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:47 AM   #27
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
It is better customer service than what I got from Direct TV. After waiting two weeks and then spending 6 hours on the phone I was still left with a broken receiver and two old receivers in my mother's house. They seem not to give a flying leap that I have had an account with them since 1996 and faithfully paid my bill since then at a little over $100.00 a month. I begged them to leave the new equipment there (since I had already paid for it 2 weeks ago) and let me hook it up since the technician was an ignorant boob who did not want to deal with the heat or mosquitoes. Only after finally after calling Dish Network and then calling back Direct TV to cancel my service did I get any action. They still are not sending the HD receiver, but I will have the other three receivers mailed to me free of charge. The HD receiver will still need to be installed by one of their brain dead technician, but I found a disk on eBay which I will have installed and functioning before he gets there. If he cannot plug in the receiver then I give up and will move on to Dish Network, not that they are any better. I’m convinced the highest job priority for the American worker today is to find a reason not to do one’s job.

Never thought I would appreciate having Comcast myself.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:56 AM   #28
Elite Duck
Rookie

I sold the tweezers! Huzzah!

On a darker note, I think that them trying to bribe me with a cheap laptop is appauling and I've got a good mind to tell them where shove their free laptop and prepare to get sued. But then again, it is a gamble and if I do sue I doubt I can do much more than a weak dent against their big expensive lawyers. I'm not exactly sure what to do....

Old 07-22-2010, 11:08 AM   #29
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Quote:
I'm not exactly sure what to do....
Be happy with your fixed machine and the cheap laptop.

Old 07-22-2010, 12:52 PM   #30
Boba Rhett
I Slay Dragons

Current Game: Scrolling Eldery
LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! LF Jester Helpful! 
It sounds like they've been beyond great to you, why in the world would you sue them?
Boba Rhett is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-22-2010, 05:12 PM   #31
Darth Avlectus
Your point?

Yeah that's excellent customer service...we're talking about DELL of all companies? This is unusually generous. I'd say just take what you've got because it's better than what many people before you have gotten from them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin View Post
It is better customer service than what I got from Direct TV. After waiting two weeks and then spending 6 hours on the phone I was still left with a broken receiver and two old receivers in my mother's house. They seem not to give a flying leap that I have had an account with them since 1996 and faithfully paid my bill since then at a little over $100.00 a month. I begged them to leave the new equipment there (since I had already paid for it 2 weeks ago) and let me hook it up since the technician was an ignorant boob who did not want to deal with the heat or mosquitoes. Only after finally after calling Dish Network and then calling back Direct TV to cancel my service did I get any action. They still are not sending the HD receiver, but I will have the other three receivers mailed to me free of charge. The HD receiver will still need to be installed by one of their brain dead technician, but I found a disk on eBay which I will have installed and functioning before he gets there. If he cannot plug in the receiver then I give up and will move on to Dish Network, not that they are any better. I’m convinced the highest job priority for the American worker today is to find a reason not to do one’s job.
Suddenly I am even more glad I didn't take a job with them as a tech. Thought I'd end up working with all manner of incompetent retards.

Old 07-22-2010, 05:49 PM   #32
Elite Duck
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boba Rhett
It sounds like they've been beyond great to you, why in the world would you sue them?
Because I think trying to bribe someone is really pathetic and they showed clear signs of worrying about a lawsuit or something. I've decided there really isn't any point so I'm just going to take their offer and leave it at that. I can't be bothered to mess with them. If I've learnt anything, they'll lead me round in circles until I tire out and die. So that's it really. I'll post again once they return it to me.

-ED

Old 07-22-2010, 08:31 PM   #33
Tommycat
>^..^<

Forum Veteran 
Did they say we're giving you this laptop for a positive review? No. They did it because the tech(someone like me, but maybe less experienced) screwed up. It was a nice thing to do. They are fixing your laptop that YOU initially broke, AND giving you a free laptop. You call it a bribe, I call it good customer service. Did they say please don't sue us? Did they even know you had a thought of suing them? No. They gave you something of value for your trouble.

That's better than any other computer company would have done. Heck they didn't even have you RMA it and cross ship with a CC as collateral

Old 07-23-2010, 01:31 AM   #34
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliteDuck
Because I think trying to bribe someone is really pathetic and they showed clear signs of worrying about a lawsuit or something.
Bollocks. Go find a lawyer who'll accept your case based on what you have written here.

"Dear Perry Mason,
I was sticking sharp things into my laptop and busted it. I then called Dell. The guy who came to fix it didn't really know much and probably even made it worse. I notified Dell and got a free laptop as compensation and will be having my device repaired and returned soon. This is an outrage?!"

Bribe??

When someone offers a bribe, they *demand* something in return. Heck the letter even acknowledges their support staff wasn't up to snuff and hence they are offering you compensation. When you fill your Dell feedback, feel free to be as honest as you want, but don't mistake their wanting to please you with anything other than that.

Most places would simply have you send the thing back and wait for weeks for a tech to review.

You should thank your lucky stars the tech was inexperienced on that rig, a clever tech would have opened it up and seen the telltale signs of you scratching about in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avery
You get free shiny product, get really happy, 5 star review they can put on their site about their support when, in actuality, they sucked in every part of their job except in excelling at bribing.
A company being proactive in addressing a customer's grievance seems to upset you? Sure such acts can garner positive feedback - and it is deserved, because they responded quickly and more than appropriately than would be reasonably expected.

EliteDuck - you have been extremely lucky. This is what would have happened on a normal day:

*support guy cant fix it, takes the device with him
*device gets reviewed, signs of tampering found
*your support claim gets rejected, your warranty doesn't apply, you get sent expensive laptop back, still busted, will have to pay for repairs yourself

I cant see how what has actually happened would make anyone upset, appalled, bamboozled or flabbergasted.

Some people are really wired negatively to see this as anything other than a favourable outcome for the customer.

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Old 07-23-2010, 09:51 AM   #35
Tommycat
>^..^<

Forum Veteran 
And just how much do you think you would get from such a lawsuit anyway. In order to get money you have to PROVE harm. They don't just give you millions for being upset. The most they would give is a full refund on your purchase price, and you would pay more than that in legal fees. It's highly doubtful Dell even felt that you would sue at all. More likely they wanted to ensure they had a happy customer. But there's apparently no pleasing some people.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:29 AM   #36
True_Avery
Banned

Just to be clear, I don't think this is an anti-lawsuit bribe. Really, from the start, this was sort of your problem for breaking the computer in the first place. Be glad they even fixed your computer, since most warranties wouldn't cover someone ripping a disk out with tweezers.

They came out, at least tried to fix your computer, and gave you a free one. By most respects, good form on their part. Hell, if anyone should be trying to sue anyone its them on you for making them spend money on your blunder. Just sayin.

Quote:
A company being proactive in addressing a customer's grievance seems to upset you? Sure such acts can garner positive feedback - and it is deserved, because they responded quickly and more than appropriately than would be reasonably expected.
This is true, but I'm thinking of it sort of from an Xbox 360 customer standpoint here:

Microsoft has a similar system set up. Your thing red rings or breaks and you can send it in and get fix of free new one in a reasonable amount of time considering. Convenient? Yes. Worthy of overshadowing the fact that hundreds of thousands of them red ring a year? No.

I don't consider having a good warranty to be good customer support. If they really cared they'd be updating the software/hardware in the 360 so that this didn't happen as often. The warrant, imho, is good form but also almost an expectation at this point. Like a default instead of an exception.

Having seen many of my own and other's 360s replaced, it doesn't garner positive thoughts in my mind. They know they have a defective product and, instead of fixing it, they have chosen to just replace broken units and make the user wait around 3 weeks for a new one... with questionable stability.

At this point, Microsoft doesn't deserve my positive feedback anymore, and neither does Alienware. Alienware may have given him a new computer, but, like Microsoft, it is merely an illusion of good support instead of actual support. They aren't supporting you; they are waving a shiny thing in your face so you don't see the mess beyond it. I'd also add that Alienware's warranty can costs hundreds for a few years.

Props for them sending a shiny new computer? Absolutely. Props for every other layer of the system? Not really.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:10 AM   #37
Tommycat
>^..^<

Forum Veteran 
Sorry Avery, not even remotely the same thing as this. Yes, MS and the RROD issue is a Customer Support nightmare. That's a defective product. They should have fixed the RROD problem, rather than "Send it to us, and we'll fix it. So later when it RROD's we can fix it again, until it's out of warranty."

THIS problem was caused by two people. First problem was the User FORCING a disc into the slot. And the second was a tech that shouldn't have been doing on site support on a laptop(and he's also probably out of work now). The company DID send a tech out to fix an end user created problem(though it is also possible that the slot drive was defective, but may have had a Disc in it already), that tech made a mistake, and the company provided EXTRA compensation for that tech failure. That's excellent COMPANY Customer service. They did not have to send a free laptop.

All that was required was returning his laptop as he had it, with broken drive, and non broken connector. 3 stars is returning it with fixed drive, and fixed connector. This would rate 4 stars because the initial tech was not skilled enough to fix it on site. But they are trying to make up for it.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:28 PM   #38
True_Avery
Banned

Fair enough

Just out of curiosity, which warranty build did you get Elite Duck?
Old 07-24-2010, 09:06 AM   #39
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Quote:
Hahaha, nice. A "don't sue us" bribe!
Quote:
Just to be clear, I don't think this is an anti-lawsuit bribe.
Avery, you either have a bad short term memory, or multiple posting personalities

Anyway, to summate:

*EliteDuck lucks out in stunning fashion,
*We all learn not to poke tweezers in drives.

All in all a good outcome \o/

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Old 07-24-2010, 12:18 PM   #40
Elite Duck
Rookie

The American Legal system is very different to the English. Mainly because suing someone is a LOT more common in America. In America you would attempt to sue them, they'd send in the lawyers, and you'd get kicked out of court with a dunce hat on your head. Now, In England, you'd attempt to sue them, and because the cost of legal representation costs much more over here, they'd just pay you because it is much cheaper than going to court. That is why I was pondering the idea.

I now have it back. It turned out that the optical drive had been put in at a diagonal angle or something by the workers in Shanghai and that is why the disk went in wrong. Also, the tweezers got the disc out and didn't damage the drive at all. I was very careful not to damage the drive. I didn't shove them in there and yank it out. I don't blame whoever built my computer (Because he probably works in a sweatshop) and that's that really. This thread is now open to anyone who still wants to call me an idiot for using tweezers for whatever image they have stuck in their minds.

-ED

EDIT: Avery I got the 2 year warranty

Last edited by Elite Duck; 07-24-2010 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Answering Avery's Q
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Ahto Spaceport Cantina > Alienware and my Dealing with DELL