lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Mass Effect 2 [thread contains spoilers]
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 07-06-2010, 02:35 PM   #841
ZimmMaster
Forumite

Current Game: SWTOR
Helpful! Veteran Modder 
The Aegis Pack is out now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioWare
For the times when overkill, doesn't seem like enough, there is the Aegis Pack.

What's better than the latest in high-tech armor? High-tech armor and a sniper rifle, of course! The Aegis Pack adds the M-29 Incisor sniper rifle and the Kestrel armor to Shepard’s armor locker!

The Incisor is a burst-fire rifle that excels at decimating enemy shields from a distance, while the Kestrel armor comes in 5 pieces and adds a variety of weapon, shield, and utility bonuses.

Check out the DLC page for more info on this explosive pack and get equipped now!

~ I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
ZimmMaster is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-06-2010, 05:43 PM   #842
Darth Payne
I Am Revan, I Remember.

Current Game: DS3, Alien: Colonial Marines
The Kestrel armors sounds cool.

(The Kestrel armor comes in five pieces: The Kestrel Helmet adds weapon damage, shield strength, and headshot damage. The Kestrel Torso Sheath adds melee and weapon damage and shield strength. Kestrel Arm Sheathing adds melee and weapon damage and shield strength. Kestrel Shoulder Pieces adds shields and melee damage. The Kestrel hip-mounted Power Pack ups shields and heavy weapon ammo capacity.)

http://www.xboxlc.com/cards/sig/newblack/pederskomsvold.jpg
Formerly known as: Danyael27
My mods at KotorFiles: K1 Robe Stat Boost, TSL Jedi Robe Stat Boost, Jedi Fight Training.
Quando omni flunkus moritati - the motto of the Possum Lodge, Pseudo-Latin for 'when all else fails, play dead.'

SW: Invasion 05,P16 -(Spraug: Seriously? A Wookie with a lightsaber? Thats just overkill.
Darth Payne is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-06-2010, 06:44 PM   #843
SW01
3 Years in the Lurk

Current Game: Real Life
The armour certainly looks nice (no compulsory dopey-looking helmet is a definite plus...), and the rifle appears to be very effective. Not bad at all, worth 160 points alright.
SW01 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-06-2010, 10:09 PM   #844
Endorenna
Gamer Wanna-be

Current Game: inFamous/Uncharted 2
Grrr...okay, really, really stupid question. I just got around to purchasing the Overlord DLC. There's only one problem. I can't figure out how to download it now that I've bought it. -_- After checkout, I was redirected to the Mass Effect 2 official site, and there was no sign of a "download the thing you just bought here" button (or maybe I just missed it). I really don't want to mess this up. It'd be an expensive mistake.

So, anyway...how do I download the DLC I've purchased?

Chapter 12 of A Soul Adrift is out.

Short stories:
T'katlu: On the planet Felucia, a young apprentice of the Dark Side thinks back to the beginning of her training as she lies in wait for her prey...

All the Time: After four years in the Unknown Regions, the Exile returns to the known galaxy to visit an old enemy.

Broken: A master of the Dark Side finds himself about to lose the one thing he cares about--and he will do anything to stop her from endangering herself.
Endorenna is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-07-2010, 12:50 AM   #845
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Notable contributor Helpful! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endorenna View Post
So, anyway...how do I download the DLC I've purchased?
I hate how it does that! if you ever get lost you can do a few things:

*Start the ME2 game launcher and select the "downlaodable content" tab - it should take you to this..the problem is that when there is new content it sometimes doesnt

if not just copy and paste/bookmark this URL

http://social.bioware.com/user_entitlements.php

OR> log into
http://social.bioware.com

and select profile>my registered game promotions.

All the downloads are in there

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Astrotoy7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-07-2010, 08:22 AM   #846
Endorenna
Gamer Wanna-be

Current Game: inFamous/Uncharted 2
Hmm...that was the first place I checked. But I just had another thought...

Okay, mystery solved. Since all my Bioware points are still there, I guess the transaction simply didn't go through for whatever reason. (sigh)

Sorry to bother y'all. Thanks for the help, Astro.

Chapter 12 of A Soul Adrift is out.

Short stories:
T'katlu: On the planet Felucia, a young apprentice of the Dark Side thinks back to the beginning of her training as she lies in wait for her prey...

All the Time: After four years in the Unknown Regions, the Exile returns to the known galaxy to visit an old enemy.

Broken: A master of the Dark Side finds himself about to lose the one thing he cares about--and he will do anything to stop her from endangering herself.
Endorenna is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-22-2010, 05:17 PM   #847
JediAthos

Current Game: Defiance
Forum Veteran Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Bioware has announced the Lair of the Shadow Broker DLC which will see Shepard teaming up with Liara in her fight against the Shadow Broker.

BioWare has announced the latest downloadable mission for Shepard's crew, entitled "Lair of the Shadow Broker." The mission involves teaming up with ally (and potential Mass Effect 1 romantic interest) Liara T'Soni to take on the notorious information broker.

Rumors first surfaced about this DLC back in April, but it's nice to have the official confirmation. Liara's behavior toward Shepard in Mass Effect 2, which was distant and unenthusiastic, left many fans of the first game disappointed. Hopefully, this DLC pack will explain why she wasn't elated to see the galaxy's greatest hero especially since the events of the comic series Mass Effect: Redemption begin with Liara's quest to find Shepard. If nothing else, the pack is likely to elaborate on and possibly conclude Liara's ongoing struggle against the Shadow Broker.

BioWare hasn't revealed the specifics of the mission, such as price point, length, or whether it adds Liara as a permanent party member. Even the release date is a mystery; it is currently listed only as "coming soon." We'll be sure to bring you more details when they're available...and you won't even have to pay for the information like you would if you were dealing with a certain shadowy broker. In the meantime, check out screens from the upcoming DLC below.

source: http://gameinformer.com/b/news/archi...ow-broker.aspx

"You'll find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

JediAthos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-22-2010, 05:52 PM   #848
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
02/17/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin View Post
I have a feeling the Shadow Broker is either going to play an import role in ME 3 or in downloadable content. Personally I don’t think we have seen the end of Liara in ME2. Unlike Ash or Carth Jr Kaidan, Shepard never received a apologetic space email from Liara (unless Kelly deleted it).
I declare myself the Nostrdamus of Lucas Forums.

Show spoiler

mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-22-2010, 06:12 PM   #849
igyman
Tension!

Current Game: Trine Enchanted Edition (PC)
Forum Veteran Helpful! Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Very, very sad. The shadow broker is one of the more interesting unseen characters of Mass Effect, so it's a real shame to deal with him or her through a meager DLC. Then again, who knows - it might simply serve as an introduction to that particular character which could span into ME3. I guess, we'll have to wait and see.

igyman is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-22-2010, 06:16 PM   #850
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
Quote:
02/17/2010 I declare myself the Nostrdamus of Lucas Forums.
There'll be no living with him now

Achilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-22-2010, 07:12 PM   #851
Darth Payne
I Am Revan, I Remember.

Current Game: DS3, Alien: Colonial Marines
Quote:
Originally Posted by igyman View Post
Very, very sad. The shadow broker is one of the more interesting unseen characters of Mass Effect, so it's a real shame to deal with him or her through a meager DLC. Then again, who knows - it might simply serve as an introduction to that particular character which could span into ME3. I guess, we'll have to wait and see.
This DLC might even be a way for the SB to fake his/her/its death.

Who knows, we might even get a 'Return Of The Shadow Broker' DLC/mission for ME3.

http://www.xboxlc.com/cards/sig/newblack/pederskomsvold.jpg
Formerly known as: Danyael27
My mods at KotorFiles: K1 Robe Stat Boost, TSL Jedi Robe Stat Boost, Jedi Fight Training.
Quando omni flunkus moritati - the motto of the Possum Lodge, Pseudo-Latin for 'when all else fails, play dead.'

SW: Invasion 05,P16 -(Spraug: Seriously? A Wookie with a lightsaber? Thats just overkill.
Darth Payne is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-22-2010, 07:15 PM   #852
Alkonium
To Mend and Defend

Current Game: Guild Wars 2
Roleplayer Forum Veteran 
Is that a new pistol Shepard's using there?

Alkonium is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-22-2010, 09:27 PM   #853
JediAthos

Current Game: Defiance
Forum Veteran Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
dunno..no details on anything like that atm...just what GI posted.

"You'll find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

JediAthos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-22-2010, 11:48 PM   #854
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
I declare myself the Nostrdamus of Lucas Forums.
Unfortunately you were pipped by about half the internet. Thanks for playing though.

Last edited by DarthParametric; 07-23-2010 at 12:26 AM.
DarthParametric is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-23-2010, 04:59 AM   #855
Ztalker
Saving the world casually

Forum Veteran 
Let's grab the pitchforks!!

OT: I always found the part Liara played in ME:2 bad. She was my romance from Me:1 and it was never referenced in ME:2. Just a hug, some dialogue...that's it. Not good.

I hope this pack will fix it

Ztalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-23-2010, 05:38 AM   #856
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztalker View Post
Just a hug, some dialogue...that's it.
There's a bit of tonsil hockey if she was your ME1 romance. Everyone gets the hug regardless.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:01 PM   #857
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles View Post
There'll be no living with him now
I can give you a few names that would say there was no living with me before this either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthParametric View Post
Unfortunately you were pipped by about half the internet.
I can’t help that when I type, people copy. It is a curse.

My next Mass Effect prediction:
Show spoiler
I would tell you how, but I don’t want to spoil it for the internet.

Old 07-23-2010, 01:25 PM   #858
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

Quote:
My next Mass Effect prediction:
Show spoiler
I would tell you how, but I don’t want to spoil it for the internet.
My highly educated analysis concludes that he decides the best course of action is:

Show spoiler

Edit:

Show spoiler

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-23-2010, 02:26 PM   #859
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
I doubt it. Here's what will really happen. In the name of "streamlining" and a "more cinematic experience", there will be no directly controlled combat in ME3. Instead, everything will be handled in cutscenes with interjections. Renegade Shepard will headbutt Harbinger, kick it out a window, then shoot a nearby gas pipe to set it on fire, thus destroying it and crippling the entire Reaper fleet. Paragon Shepard, being a pansy, agrees to being turned into a human milkshake. The end.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:45 PM   #860
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

Quote:
I doubt it. Here's what will really happen. In the name of "streamlining" and a "more cinematic experience", there will be no directly controlled combat in ME3. Instead, everything will be handled in cutscenes with interjections. Renegade Shepard will headbutt Harbinger, kick it out a window, then shoot a nearby gas pipe to set it on fire, thus destroying it and crippling the entire Reaper fleet. Paragon Shepard, being a pansy, agrees to being turned into a human milkshake. The end.
"Amazing, breathtaking work of art..."
~ Gamespot

"Groundbreaking advancement for video games, truly cinematic..."
~ IGN

"Storytelling better than the best novels, an absolute gem of human culture..."
~ The Escapist

99% on MetaCritic

Old 07-23-2010, 07:57 PM   #861
Alkonium
To Mend and Defend

Current Game: Guild Wars 2
Roleplayer Forum Veteran 
Do you think dumping Liara for Tali, Jack, Miranda, Garrus, Jacob, or Thane will come back and bite us in the upcoming DLC?

Alkonium is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-23-2010, 11:02 PM   #862
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
If it does I think people will be pissed. I think the only way that would happen though is if a) she permanently joins the crew and b) you play through the content after finishing the game. Seems to me it will be just a temporary hookup and you'll have to wait until ME3 to resolve the tangled romantic threads your Shep has weaved. That being the case, the likely get out of jail card they will pull to keep Liara away from you is that the Shadow Broker escapes and she keeps hunting him.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:59 PM   #863
TriggerGod

Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkonium View Post
Is that a new pistol Shepard's using there?
Yes.

Oh, yeah and according to Jarrett Lee, regarding the Shadow Broker DLC:
Quote:
I think most of you will find it to be our most satisfying DLC release yet for ME2
Zaeed ended being my favorite and 'most satisfying' DLC, and the rest of it that I've played (haven't tried Firewalker, Kasumi, or any of the add-on item packs unless its the Blood Dragon Armor) were meh, so good luck with that.
TriggerGod is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-29-2010, 09:00 AM   #864
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire 
Does this mean that if you don't buy the DLC, you don't get to know the whole Shadow Broker story? For something as important as the Broker in ME's story (and all its teasing in-game), it'd be a shame to miss this because you just played the vanilla games 1-2-3.

PSN id: BE_Miltiades

Miltiades is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-29-2010, 12:27 PM   #865
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Finished first run through ME2 last night.

I'll give Bioware credit: the game was a lot better than I was expecting. Not an RPG for the ages, but definitely fun. They seem to have fixed a lot of the issues that I had with the first installment and I found myself considering the possibility that I might have to revamp my opinion of Drew Karpyshyn. Then the credits rolled. I noticed that he had second billing for Lead Writer and suddenly the disparity between the really good writing and the really bad writing made sense. Hopefully this Mac Walters guy sticks around for a bit.

Assignments were very optional. They were short, clean, and had variety.

The loyalty missions had meat on them, though it saddened me that once again I felt that I was forced to choose between the story and the game, though not nearly as much as the first game.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:42 PM   #866
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Karpyshyn left the "real" Bioware after ME2 shipped to join the writing crew of The Old Republic, so I gather he will have no involvement with ME3. One might suspect that it had at least something to do with being shunted to second billing.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:56 PM   #867
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

That's fine with me. The more time he spends working on games I'll never play, the better.

Had I known that he was only filling in on ME2, I probably would've played it sooner.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:49 PM   #868
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Quote:
I'll give Bioware credit: the game was a lot better than I was expecting. Not an RPG for the ages, but definitely fun.
I'll hold off counting this as any indication of praise until your third or fourth playthrough. After you have had time to dissect the game to find the stuff that really annoys you. If after that you still can say it was fun, then I will consider that a major accomplishment by BioWare.

Old 07-30-2010, 04:55 AM   #869
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Notable contributor Helpful! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member 
[QUOTE=mimartin;2742667After you have had time to dissect the game to find the stuff that really annoys you. If after that you still can say it was fun, then I will consider that a major accomplishment by BioWare. [/QUOTE]

What? Playing a very long game four times through until it becomes annoying is the key to finding out if it is good or not? What a bizarre thing to say.

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Astrotoy7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-30-2010, 07:05 AM   #870
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

Good games don't get annoying no matter how long they are or how much you play them, Astro. Excuse me while I start my 462nd playthrough of Deus Ex.

Old 07-30-2010, 02:14 PM   #871
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrotoy7 View Post
What? Playing a very long game four times through until it becomes annoying is the key to finding out if it is good or not? What a bizarre thing to say.
My comments were in reply to Achilles and his adequate appraisal of Mass Effect 2. I was just remembering his feelings toward the first Mass Effect getting worse and worse the longer he played. The only thing that ruined Mass Effect for me was playing Mass Effect 2.

I agree with Sabre, good games should not get annoying; they may get boring after multiple playthrough, but never annoying.

Old 07-31-2010, 10:33 AM   #872
Darth InSidious
A handful of dust.

Current Game: KotOR II
Quote:
I'll hold off counting this as any indication of praise until your third or fourth playthrough. After you have had time to dissect the game to find the stuff that really annoys you. If after that you still can say it was fun, then I will consider that a major accomplishment by BioWare.
At least this one is playable, unlike the first 12 hours of boredom that Bioware released under the name.

Works-In-Progress
~
Mods Released
~
Quid existis in desertum videre?
Darth InSidious is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-31-2010, 01:59 PM   #873
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Pretty nice workmanship, if you are into that sot of thing - http://www.kotaku.com.au/2010/07/mas...lenger-enters/
Old 08-02-2010, 12:44 PM   #874
TriggerGod

Helpful! 
Quote:
Pretty nice workmanship, if you are into that sot of thing - http://www.kotaku.com.au/2010/07/mas...lenger-enters/
In case no one saw the challenge.

"A very intense woman in armor threatened me with a gun if I didn't say this. I'm Commander Shepard, and this my favor-"

"WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

And oddly, the Shepard in this video looks like some odd offspring of my femshep and Astro's Isabel...
TriggerGod is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-02-2010, 01:26 PM   #875
Demongo
Afro Skeleton

Current Game: Street Fighter IV
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerGod View Post
Thanks for posting that Trig

Bink's Sake

"I've barely eaten anything for many decades now. It feels like my stomach shriveled into my back........though i don't have a stomach or back because i'm a skeleton! Yohohohoho! SKULL JOKE!"

"My eyes have never seen such a pretty woman! But i'm a skeleton so my eyes don't see much."
Demongo is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-02-2010, 02:53 PM   #876
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Quote:
My comments were in reply to Achilles and his adequate appraisal of Mass Effect 2. I was just remembering his feelings toward the first Mass Effect getting worse and worse the longer he played. The only thing that ruined Mass Effect for me was playing Mass Effect 2.

I agree with Sabre, good games should not get annoying; they may get boring after multiple playthrough, but never annoying.
2nd playthrough.

It's amazing how easy it can be to pick out which parts were written by new guy and which parts are written by Drew Krapstand.

So far I haven't encountered any plot holes that make me want to throw a controller at my TV, but DK's dialogs come pretty close.

The only thing holding Mass Effect 2 back is it's relationship to Mass Effect 1.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:21 PM   #877
igyman
Tension!

Quote:
The only thing holding Mass Effect 2 back is it's relationship to Mass Effect 1.
I'd say that's the only thing holding the game together as a Mass Effect title, but to each his own. The same goes for the new guy's crappy writing, or should I say stealing plot elements and environments from Battlestar Galactica, Terminator, perhaps a little bit of Matrix and TRON (by stealing I mean that the only thing different is the names of the characters and races/factions involved). Again, this is just my opinion after two playthroughs.

Old 08-02-2010, 05:26 PM   #878
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Quote:
I'd say that's the only thing holding the game together as a Mass Effect title, but to each his own.
Indeed.

Quote:
The same goes for the new guy's crappy writing...

Quote:
...or should I say stealing plot elements and environments from Battlestar Galactica, Terminator, perhaps a little bit of Matrix and TRON (by stealing I mean that the only thing different is the names of the characters and races/factions involved).
I've seen all of those movies and I'm not seeing the connection. If you're upset that the final boss LOOKS like a Terminator, then okay, but that isn't the same thing as "the only thing different is the names of the characters and races/factions involved".

And if you're saying he "stole" from BSG because a couple of the voice actors were in BSG, then he also stole from ST:TNG, as did the first ME.

And WALL*E "stole" from 2001 and Alien(s).

Quote:
Again, this is just my opinion after two playthroughs.
Okay.

All I know is that I don't have to engage in any mental gymnastics to reconcile the authors horrible grasp of biology and causal relationships.

I'll fully acknowledge that he suffers from "wash, rinse, repeat" syndrome with the whole "recruit hit point/gain hit point's loyalty" thing, but at least some of them (the one's not written by Drew Krapshoot) are interesting.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:33 PM   #879
igyman
Tension!

Quote:
Like I said, to each his own, but I found the new guy's plot twists just terrible, unoriginal and completely disappointing.

Quote:
I'll fully acknowledge that he suffers from "wash, rinse, repeat" syndrome with the whole "recruit hit point/gain hit point's loyalty" thing, but at least some of them (the one's not written by Drew Krapshoot) are interesting.
I do agree that most of the side-missions are relatively interesting, but I think it's sad that the main story was so poorly written compared to them.

Quote:
I've seen all of those movies and I'm not seeing the connection. If you're upset that the final boss LOOKS like a Terminator, then okay, but that isn't the same thing as "the only thing different is the names of the characters and races/factions involved".
The final boss is one of the gripes I have, but it's not The Gripe. The full list would be way too long and besides I'm too lazy to write it, so I'm just going to mention one of the things I consider stolen, as in no significant modification whatsoever - the final, Suicide Mission. For comparison:

Battlestar Galactica series finale plot:
The Galactica is going on a high risk mission to rescue a half-Cylon little girl. The girl is held on an ancient secret Cylon space station, which is located in the middle of an asteroid field surrounded by black holes. There is only one point of entry for ships to "jump-in" and when they do they will be noticed by the Cylons immediately.

Mass Effect 2 Suicide Mission plot:
The Normandy has to go on a high risk mission to rescue the abducted colonists. The colonists are held on an ancient secret Collector space station, which is located in the middle of an asteroid field surrounded by black holes. There is only one point of entry - the Omega relay - for ships to "jump-in" and when they do they will be noticed by the Collectors immediately.

There's a bunch more examples similar to this one, but you'll have to look for those yourself.

Quote:
And if you're saying he "stole" from BSG because a couple of the voice actors were in BSG, then he also stole from ST:TNG, as did the first ME.
Nope, nothing to do with the voice actors. I'm talking strictly about plot elements.

Old 08-02-2010, 07:25 PM   #880
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Quote:
Like I said, to each his own, but I found the new guy's plot twists just terrible, unoriginal and completely disappointing.
Well, there was only one and yeah, it wasn't earth-shattering, but I think it helps to remember where "middle-sequels" fit into the grand scheme. Introductions have been done but the story can't end yet. So no build up and no pay off.

As such, I think ME did okay. I have to give the writer a lot of credit because DK gave him some steaming piles of pooh in some areas, but he still made it work. Is it perfect? No. Was it a tale for ages? Hardly. Was it a lot more than I was expecting? Yes it was.

Quote:
I do agree that most of the side-missions are relatively interesting, but I think it's sad that the main story was so poorly written compared to them.
See above. I'm not entirely ready to accept that this isn't a function of being stuck in the middle. ME2 is supposed to nothing more than move us from part 1 to part 3 without loosing our attention.

Quote:
The final boss is one of the gripes I have, but it's not The Gripe. The full list would be way too long and besides I'm too lazy to write it, so I'm just going to mention one of the things I consider stolen, as in no significant modification whatsoever - the final, Suicide Mission. For comparison:

Battlestar Galactica series finale plot:
The Galactica is going on a high risk mission to rescue a half-Cylon little girl. The girl is held on an ancient secret Cylon space station, which is located in the middle of an asteroid field surrounded by black holes. There is only one point of entry for ships to "jump-in" and when they do they will be noticed by the Cylons immediately.

Mass Effect 2 Suicide Mission plot:
The Normandy has to go on a high risk mission to rescue the abducted colonists. The colonists are held on an ancient secret Collector space station, which is located in the middle of an asteroid field surrounded by black holes. There is only one point of entry - the Omega relay - for ships to "jump-in" and when they do they will be noticed by the Collectors immediately.
You're stretching.
1) 1 girl vs a lot of abducted humans (some of which are your crew members
2) I don't remember the Cylon ship being ancient. I do remember it being important. If we want to take marks of for having a significant setting for the finale, I think we're going to have to widen our scope of criticism.
3) Asteroid field vs. wreckage/debris
4) Bunch of black holes vs supermassive blackhole
5) The crew in ME2 was expecting not to get seen at all.

More?

Quote:
There's a bunch more examples similar to this one, but you'll have to look for those yourself.
And I'm sure if I look hard enough I'll find some. I'm sure that has something to do with the fact that everyone borrows from everyone else. The skill comes in how much you make it your own.

Again, I'm not saying the ME2 broke new ground. I am saying that the story was a lot better than I was prepared to give it credit for when I "Pressed Start". Mordin and Legion's loyalty missions (I'm going to get a beat down for this) reminded me of something I might see from a Chris Avellone game.

Some of writing was cringe worthy (Grunt, Samara, etc), but for the most part it was far better than ME1 ("EMBRACE ETERNITY!!!" x too many ***damn times).

Quote:
Nope, nothing to do with the voice actors. I'm talking strictly about plot elements.
Okay.

P.S. Damn you for making me defend this game! Do you have any idea how much grief I'm going to get from Mimartin?! Do you?!

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > The Outlander Club > Mass Effect 2 [thread contains spoilers]