lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Mass Effect 2 [thread contains spoilers]
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 03-23-2011, 07:39 AM   #1161
Salzella
areiK

Current Game: Portal, Half-Life 2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qui-Gon Glenn View Post
I have always wanted to date a girl that was that edgy and different, just never had the balls or a girl of that type that was into me.... until recently

That said, I am in a relationship and in RL am not big on the cheating thing, although I cannot claim total innocence. And, my tatooed RL darling is one of the most principled girls I have ever met... the look and what's inside do not always match the way you expect (book/cover)... that's why I liked Jack! That and, if you look past the anger and all the tats, she's got a smokin' body and a really quite pretty face, IMO. Far prettier than Miranda's, as I am in the same camp as Liverandbacon on the Miranda face - uh, the analogy you chose made me laugh out loud
For your sake i hope your real-life squeeze is not as psychotic as Jack

As for Miranda... As said, she looked lots better in the trailers. She looks a bit odd in the games. However, that said... you don't need to look at the girl's *face* to appreciate her...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qui-Gon Glenn View Post
Kiera... who is that? Is that the thief? Haven't played through with that DLC yet, though it is installed. I have yet to do my second playthrough of ME2. I only cheated on Liara after all she would say to me (after I missed the Paragon-click opportunity in the Broker's Lair before or after our special moment in Shep's quarters) was.... "It is nice to see you." I kept thinking she would say something else... and was heartbroken all over again.

So I went on a tear

I guess I will have to do multiple ME2 playthroughs, just to exercise all that romance. If I could, I would date Jessica Rabbit, so I guess any RPG romance makes me happy, even if it could be developed more/better, as Liverandbacon and Primogen have noted.
Haha, nah 'Kiera' is just the first name for my femshep, no new characters. And i know what you mean about missing the prompt >_> very annoying first time that happened...

I quite like romances in video-games, though it's true that they are not exactly in-depth mimicries of real-life relationships. The truest I've played have been Dragon Age: Origins', which are a) much harder to follow through than ME/2 and b) much more involved, though I have basically stopped giving gifts except the main ones to each character because it does seem rather like cheating. You can get Zevran and Morrigan to have sex by going through one dialogue tree and giving loads of gifts...

But I digress. Liara is still my favourite, as I like my girls cute, but with a bit of steel under that shiny blue exterior... (damn shame earth doesn't have blue girls if you ask me. our loss).
Salzella is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-23-2011, 07:44 AM   #1162
Drunkside
Satan´s little helper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primogen View Post
She'd be prettier with a bloody shirt on. Seriously, Tali is the only female on the ship that doesn't look like a stripper.
Why couldnt strippers be pretty? I was under the impression that being good looking is actually one of the prerequisites of the profession

Saivo´s New demo, A Cruel Northern Land is out! Listen to it on our mikseri.net bandpage.

http://www.mikseri.net/artists/?id=117610
Drunkside is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-23-2011, 08:03 AM   #1163
Primogen

Current Game: The Witcher
Actually, not really. You just need gobs of makeup and bad lighting. Besides, Strippers are more Sexy than Pretty. Sexy appeals to your...drive. Pretty appeals to your mind. Hence Tali's following. It doesn't help that Miranda's fine ass is attached to a face that will frankly haunt your nightmares. She has a face like my Grandma's creepy dolls.

The Crown of Albion, an Arthurian Mythology RP
Dark Age of the Republic, a Star Wars RP
Primogen is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-23-2011, 08:17 AM   #1164
Drunkside
Satan´s little helper

You are right about that, but if a stripper has a face that resembles the rear end of an elephant it is a major turnoff How can you explain Tali´s following by her being pretty because the closest we have gotten to seeing her face is this:

View page
YouTube Video

Saivo´s New demo, A Cruel Northern Land is out! Listen to it on our mikseri.net bandpage.

Old 03-23-2011, 08:38 AM   #1165
Pavlos
Scruffy Englishman

Current Game: Viking Warrior Poets
You know, I didn't see it in-game, but that scene is mildly cringe-worthy (bar the ending of the video). The discussion of antibiotics is a rather strange form of foreplay.

Mind you, Tristan and Isolde discuss the nature of day and night, Hero and Leander talk about love as though it's a matter of home economics (like to your love, useless, futile, worthless is this table if not used), and Helen is abducted by Paris, so maybe it's not quite so strange...

StarWarsKnights.com -- News and features will be returning shortly...

I 'gin to be a-weary of the sun,
And wish the estate o' the world were now undone.

Last edited by Pavlos; 03-23-2011 at 08:46 AM.
Pavlos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-23-2011, 08:41 AM   #1166
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunkside View Post
Why couldnt strippers be pretty? I was under the impression that being good looking is actually one of the prerequisites of the profession
Your experience of strippers is obviously only from the movies. Try visiting a real strip club some time and get back to us.
DarthParametric is online now   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-23-2011, 08:46 AM   #1167
Drunkside
Satan´s little helper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthParametric View Post
Your experience of strippers is obviously only from the movies. Try visiting a real strip club some time and get back to us.
Nope, now that you told me of the horrors of strip clubs i am too afraid to go.

Old 03-23-2011, 08:59 AM   #1168
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
My only advice would be to make sure you only visit one with a very high cover charge. That's one time you definately don't want to be looking for a bargain. The old maxim of "you get what you pay for" certainly applies in this instance.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:35 PM   #1169
Liverandbacon
I'm only worth a piano?

Forum Veteran LF Jester Folder extraordinaire 
All this talk about Jack has made me remember that while on one hand I consider her a tragic waste of a better face than the other crew-members (personal taste thing I suppose, but I think with hair, less absurd clothing, and maybe less tattoos, she'd be by far the best looking, though still a tad uncanny-valley), I really do like how her name and lack of hair are a reference to the under-appreciated Pitch Black. (I think too many people assume it's like the sequel, which was a terrible film that had occasional cool ideas, but ignored them in order to focus on idiocy. It screamed wasted potential.)

In fact, her recruitment mission, with it's for-profit merc space-prison, abusive guards, and modular claw-transported prison cells felt like one big homage to the similarly underappreciated, and legitimately awesome, Escape from Butcher Bay. (Seriously, if you have even a passing interest in a first-person stealth bludgeon&stabber with occasional shooty bits, play this game. The HD remake is packaged with its less good, though enjoyable, sequel Dark Athena, and can be found pretty easily for $5-10.)

And as for strippers, I don't really see the appeal of paying to see some woman undress herself in a public location, when, albeit with more effort, you can convince one to do so in private for free.

--Too Dumb to Quit--
Liverandbacon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-23-2011, 02:59 PM   #1170
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liverandbacon View Post
And as for strippers, I don't really see the appeal of paying to see some woman undress herself in a public location, when, albeit with more effort, you can convince one to do so in private for free.
Seafood Dinner $45.00
Movie Tickets and Snacks $40.00
Cover Charge and Drinks at Nice Club $35.00
Seeing lady strip once you get her home PRICELESS.

Show spoiler
mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-23-2011, 05:55 PM   #1171
Primogen

Tali is pretty because I have a thing for girls in spacesuits. Besides, she's got a nice body and a cute voice.

Old 03-23-2011, 07:32 PM   #1172
Liverandbacon
I'm only worth a piano?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin View Post
-Cook a High-quality Seafood Dinner (Bonus Points! With the right presentation, she finds it more romantic than a restaurant) $0 (usually have plenty of really nice ingredients in my fridge that would otherwise go bad, that I'd have bought anyway)
-Instead of movies, more creative dates. (Not too creative though...) $Varies, but easy to keep costs low, or do things one would have done anyway, while seeming romantic rather than cheap.
Cover Charge and Drinks at Nice Club $0 (Oh hey there club manager friends!)

Free or close to free
Fixed that for you; with early stages of current GF in mind. Of course once it was clear that this would be a lasting thing, I let things cost a bit more. 7 years later, I do not regret my 'stealth cheapass' approach.

And if you're not really going for a long term thing, it becomes easy, especially if you live anywhere near a university (though depending on age that can get a bit scummy), to cut that down to: Cover Charge and Drinks at Nice Club $0 (once you do some networking, or $35 if you can't be bothered)

In order to give this post a modicum of topic legitimacy I will conclude with my belief that Mass Effect 2 is a pretty fun shooter with conversations. I thoroughly enjoyed it for what it was, although I was a bit surprised as I'd been expecting something else.

--Too Dumb to Quit--
Old 03-23-2011, 07:35 PM   #1173
Salzella
areiK

Current Game: Portal, Half-Life 2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primogen View Post
Tali is pretty because I have a thing for girls in spacesuits. Besides, she's got a nice body and a cute voice.
not forgetting dem hips
Salzella is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-23-2011, 07:37 PM   #1174
Titanius Anglesmith
Kingslayer

I can get over Miranda's in-game visuals just knowing that she looks like this in real life -

Titanius Anglesmith is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-23-2011, 08:59 PM   #1175
Primogen

Miranda's other problem is that -idiotic- looking white spandex suit. It looks like it was made out of like, the stuff they make padded cells out of.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:35 PM   #1176
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanius Anglesmith View Post
I can get over Miranda's in-game visuals just knowing that she looks like this in real life -

Agreed that they failed miserably to do the lovely Yvonne justice face-wise, but this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liverandbacon View Post
a bowl-clenching Michael Jackson lookalike

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker

Last edited by Q; 03-23-2011 at 10:28 PM.
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-24-2011, 06:02 AM   #1177
Drunkside
Satan´s little helper

Quote:
Seafood Dinner $45.00
Movie Tickets and Snacks $40.00
Cover Charge and Drinks at Nice Club $35.00

Show spoiler
Why not just skip all that boring s**t and just go find a prostitute, the cost is approximately the same. Or actually twice that, but still, you dont have to watch a crappy movie, eat food you know you dont like but you just have to because it cost so much and be forced to listen to horribly brain-numbing music at a club. Not to mention that you dont have to hit on her, you dont have to talk all witty... I just realised why i dont have a girlfriend

Old 03-24-2011, 06:39 PM   #1178
ZimmMaster
Forumite

Current Game: SWTOR
Helpful! Veteran Modder 
I was just browsing the ME forums and came across a thread with this link:
http://www.giantbomb.com/ask-me-anyt...rival/17-3929/

It is the first 22 minutes of gameplay footage from Arrival, so MAJOR spoilage.

~ I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
ZimmMaster is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-24-2011, 07:29 PM   #1179
igyman
Tension!

Current Game: Watch Dogs (PC)
Forum Veteran Helpful! Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Watched it and saw at least one major plot hole and so did the two commentators apparently. Still, could be interesting.

igyman is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-24-2011, 09:19 PM   #1180
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
This gives slightly more info.
Achilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-24-2011, 10:20 PM   #1181
ZimmMaster
Forumite

Current Game: SWTOR
Helpful! Veteran Modder 
Looks like they took the video down. Will look for a repost.

~ I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
ZimmMaster is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-24-2011, 10:51 PM   #1182
Liverandbacon
I'm only worth a piano?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Q View Post
Agreed that they failed miserably to do the lovely Yvonne justice face-wise, but this?
You think I'm being uncharitable? Note that I did put that as the worst end of the spectrum for how she looks in-game, with the best being vaguely tolerable. Anyway, with same length black hair, same skin tone, odd noses, and disconcerting uncanny-valley almost-but-not-quite human looks, among other similarities, I'd say the comparison is fair.

But mainly because I just try to use the word bowl-clenching as often as life presents me with reasonable excuses to do so. I'm so mature and dignified it hurts.

--Too Dumb to Quit--
Old 03-24-2011, 11:10 PM   #1183
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
It probably helped that I was thinking "Yvonne Strahovski" and not "Michael Jackson" at the time.

And now I'm glad that I was. Really, really glad.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-25-2011, 03:22 AM   #1184
Primogen

Seriously, Miranda is -weird- looking. Her eyelids have this tendency to sort of droop down, again like one of my grandma's creepy dolls, and her face is just...weirdly shaped. And even when they eyes are open, they're cold and dead like a shark.

Old 03-25-2011, 10:43 AM   #1185
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles View Post
This gives slightly more info.
I'm getting prepared for a major letdown because for the first time ever I’m totally excited about DLC. I’ve been pleasantly surprised in the past about DLC, like Bring Down the Sky, Overlord and Lair of the Shadow Broker, but usually DLC has left me feeling like I did when I got the Horse Armor for Oblivion.

Totally ready to give Shepard a little more target practice in preparation for the real battle come December.

Moderator note [03-25-2011 10:54 AM]

For those of you that don’t do well with subtleties I’m trying to steer the conversation from hooker, strippers and dating back to the topic. Even though yours truly had a major hand it taking the thread off topic. Sorry….

Last edited by mimartin; 03-25-2011 at 10:54 AM.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:38 PM   #1186
Liverandbacon
I'm only worth a piano?

Quote:
left me feeling like I did when I got the Horse Armor for Oblivion.
Mim... I didn't know.... I'm so sorry. If you ever need to talk, to have some help recovering from what Bethesda did to you, I'm here for you. We all are. Just know it wasn't your fault it happened, they tricked you into it, and we're being very careful to make sure they can never hurt you again.

Edit: The fact that this pretty weak joke of mine is the final post in such a long-running thread makes me very very sad.

Edit 2: Saved!

--Too Dumb to Quit--

Last edited by Liverandbacon; 03-29-2011 at 08:32 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:05 PM   #1187
swphreak
My cabbages!!!

10 year veteran! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran 
Wow, don't waste your money. It's freaking short. Just read the wikia to know what goes on.
swphreak is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-29-2011, 10:59 PM   #1188
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Arrival took me about an hour and a half to complete on Veteran. So it is indeed short. However, this maybe just my typical Bioware fandom coming out, but I loved it. This enthusiasm may decrease over time when I figure out the urgency I felt playing the mission was just an illusion, but it did work for me the first time through.

While the story was predictable and Dr. Kenson was a bore I still felt urgency and anxiety while fighting my way through the mission. I used my first playthrough Shepard from ME2, a Level 30 Adept who was until this mission pure as the driven snow,
spoiler:
She hadn’t even shot Conrad in the foot.
, but that did not stop me from making perhaps her first renegade choice in either ME or ME2 up until this point. I just felt the urgency of the mission dictated making the more direct, faster choice.

Again this may all be an illusion, but I did enjoy Arrival the first time through.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:49 PM   #1189
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
Quote:
I used my first playthrough Shepard from ME2, a Level 30 Adept who was until this mission pure as the driven snow,
spoiler:
She hadn’t even shot Conrad in the foot.
, but that did not stop me from making perhaps her first renegade choice in either ME or ME2 up until this point.
Hmm....NO renegade decisions in 2 games? Don't think I've ever stuck to just one or the other in either game, nevermind both.

Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.---Teddy Roosevelt

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception.---Groucho

And if you all get killed, I'll piss on your graves.---Shaman Urdnot

How would you like to own a little bit of my foot in your ass.---Red Foreman
Totenkopf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-29-2011, 11:58 PM   #1190
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
A poor time for your Paragon to suddenly take Renegade options. There are no actual choices - the outcome is identical.

I guess the Montreal studio was unhappy that Edmonton held the trophy for worst Bioware DLC ever with Witch Hunt and decided to go for the gold.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:05 AM   #1191
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Most of my Shepards have been Paragon, but I usually pick a few renegade decisions like,
spoiler:
ending conversations with a bullet, throwing the guy off the building and especially shooting Conrad
, but my first Shepard is always strictly paragon. Truth be told my first PC in any game is always strictly a good girl, usually named Angel. I've made way more renegade decisions in ME2 than I have any game unless I was playing a bad character.

Quote:
A poor time for your Paragon to suddenly take Renegade options. There are no actual choices - the outcome is identical.
wow you already know what is going to happen in ME3 because I figure the choice will have more to do with ME3 than what happened on this mission.

I’m totally shocked DarthParametric that you would be critical about a game.

Last edited by mimartin; 03-30-2011 at 12:12 AM.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:52 AM   #1192
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
wow you already know what is going to happen in ME3 because I figure the choice will have more to do with ME3 than what happened on this mission.
I know because there is no "choice". There's only a single outcome whatever you do, presumably for two reasons. The first being ME3 - they needed a known outcome whether people played the DLC or not or regardles of what they said/did. The second is that it's simply cheaper and quicker to produce linear content.

Oh and you can toss in a third possibility as well, as Mike Laidlaw said in a recent interview that people don't really want choice, they just want the illusion of choice. That's arguably always been Bioware's dsign mantra anyway, but I guess now they just aren't going out of their way to deny it.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:56 AM   #1193
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

So in a nutshell... You don't know. You are only trying to give the illusion of knowning.

Last edited by mimartin; 03-30-2011 at 10:13 AM.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:04 AM   #1194
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Get back to me with the alternative outcome after you've played it a second time doing the opposite of what you did the first time.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:11 AM   #1195
ChAiNz.2da
Brony 4 Life. Yo.

Current Game: Minecraft MP: PynCraft|Tekkit
wow.. I love ME2, but this DLC was pure fail

Far too short.. absolutely NO choice in the outcome (other than not playing it).
No paragon choices with any consequence, and the one that is there (kinda) you get c**k-blocked by an interrupted transmission

Don't waste your time. Hard for me to say really.. but I'm really disappointed in this one. Spend your money on Shadow Broker if you haven't already.

Unfortunately I just didn't feel the urgency. Perhaps if there was a countdown timer on the mission (since they kept shoving one in your face in all the cutscenes).. that may have added something, but the only thing "timed" in the game was the end sequence.. and it was atrociously long. I just pop-shot/heavy slam the entire ending wave from the entrance cover (vacuum sequence start) and still had more than a 3/4 timer left. Maybe something other than a Sentinel was harder?

Seemed more of a "let's just throw a crap ton of enemies at Shepard in this one and call it a DLC"

"Eagles May Soar, But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines"

| Mods (FF) (DS) | Folding | SWK.com | FB: (LF) (Me) | Steam | The Herd |
ChAiNz.2da is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-30-2011, 11:26 AM   #1196
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
To be fair, the timer you see is actually a mission timer. Observe:

View page
YouTube Video
Old 03-30-2011, 11:37 AM   #1197
ChAiNz.2da
Brony 4 Life. Yo.

Current Game: Minecraft MP: PynCraft|Tekkit
Quote:
To be fair, the timer you see is actually a mission timer.
Well that changes at least one aspect. Good to know the obtrusive countdown IS actually there for something. Thanks for the link

Now, if it wasn't around 30 minutes for the ending, that might make me sweat a bit hehehe

"Eagles May Soar, But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines"

| Mods (FF) (DS) | Folding | SWK.com | FB: (LF) (Me) | Steam | The Herd |
ChAiNz.2da is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-30-2011, 11:39 AM   #1198
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Quote:
Get back to me with the alternative outcome after you've played it a second time doing the opposite of what you did the first time.
Had you actually read what I wrote about then you would know I don't expect a different outcome within ME2. I expect the choice, minor as it may be, MAY have some type of ramification in ME3 at Shepard's
spoiler:
Trial
perhaps.

You however have stated that the choice in Arrival will not have any consequences in ME3 as if it is fact. When I asked you how exactly you knew you gave a circumstantial reply that did not prove for a fact if it would or would not affect ME3. I’m of the opinion that it may or may not, because I’m not arrogant enough to believe I know it all especially about a game that isn’t even on a disk yet.

Quote:
To be fair, the timer you see is actually a mission timer. Observe:
Does that mean there is a critical choice in Arrival?
spoiler:
You don’t finish the DLC in a timely matter you lose.

Last edited by mimartin; 03-30-2011 at 11:45 AM.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:48 AM   #1199
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
My mistake. I suspect there will be lots of time in ME3 for for Alliance legal proceedings what with the Reapers pillaging Earth and all.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:56 AM   #1200
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Where did I say it would play a major role? I'm pretty sure I wrote minor.

If ME3 was a Bethesa product then it would be a perfect starting point for ME3; Shepard’s trial, dishonor, conviction and then the galaxy expecting the disgraced prisoner to save its sorry butt when the Reapers appear.

But BioWare could not be that cliché, could they?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > The Outlander Club > Mass Effect 2 [thread contains spoilers]