lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: StarWarsKnights interviews Chris Avellone
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 02-23-2009, 06:28 AM   #1
Pavlos
Scruffy Englishman

Current Game: Viking Warrior Poets
StarWarsKnights interviews Chris Avellone

Mr. Chris Avellone of Obsidian Entertainment and Black Isle fame, lead designer on Planscape: Torment and our own beloved KotOR II has kindly condescended to answer my annoying questions about the development of Torment and The Sith Lords as well as some of his design philosophies. The whole thing weighs in at just under three thousand words so this is to be part one of three. The other two parts should be released on Tuesday and Wednesday respectively.

A big thanks to both MCA and Obsidian's marketing producer, Matthew Rorie for helping to organise this.

Enjoy!

StarWarsKnights.com -- News and features will be returning shortly...

I 'gin to be a-weary of the sun,
And wish the estate o' the world were now undone.
Pavlos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-23-2009, 07:12 AM   #2
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Well, this is a pleasant surprise.

It's good to see that you and Devon hadn't managed to scare him off the first time around.

Great work! I'm looking forward to parts two and three.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-23-2009, 07:49 AM   #3
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avellone
It probably has to do with my unresolved irritation with religion and zealots.
Oh my, I so love this guy. Thanks, Pavlos, reading an Avellone interview is always interesting. Can't wait to read the other parts.

PSN id: BE_Miltiades

Miltiades is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-23-2009, 08:24 AM   #4
jrrtoken

It's great that you guys were able to intimidate persuade Avellone into an interview. Do we expect to see anything about Avellone's thoughts about TOR?
jrrtoken is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-23-2009, 09:50 PM   #5
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Folder extraordinaire Forum Veteran 
I enjoyed the self-deprecating background done in third person.

Really looking forward to more of this interview with MCA.

Want to battle against cancer and other chronic diseases? Join Team LFN!

Char Ell is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-23-2009, 10:08 PM   #6
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

Sorry I didn't comment before, but that's a fantastic interview. Insightful answers from Avellone and I liked that intro you made, Pavlos.

Still, I don't think I'll be quite satisfied until I have seen more of this interview.

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-24-2009, 12:38 PM   #7
Pavlos
Scruffy Englishman

Clicky

Here is the promised second part of our interview with Chris Avellone of Obsidian Entertainment, as promised. If you haven't read it then part one can be found here.

Quote:
The introduction of the “talking film” into cinema prompted discussions on the art of sound but the emergence of 3D engines and cinematics in video-games has yet to provoke such a discussion. Is there “art” in your “emotive facial rigging [and] animations” or is it simply a new toy to draw in the crowds and their wallets?

It is art. It may have to wait until Alpha Protocol is released, but I'd love to post some captured footages of some sequences in the game that say more with silence and facial expression than any text or voice actor could. I'm not cynical enough to say that it's a gimmick to take money from the consumer - I very much believe it's a better way to convey story, despite how resource-intensive it is.

Old 02-24-2009, 01:17 PM   #8
Silveredge9
Retired Modder

Veteran Modder Forum Veteran Hot Topic Starter Contest winner - Modding 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Avellone
Also, I really wanted to prep for a third title that examined Revan’s long-range plans, but that was only hinted at in the game.
Someone give this man a development team and lots of money pronto.

Great interview by the way. I look forward to part 3.

Silveredge9 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-24-2009, 05:44 PM   #9
Jeff
Rating: Awesome

Current Game: SWTOR
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
Great read, I haven't played Torment (yes I know) but knowing him from Knights 2 and other games it's great to get some insight on his design philosophies. Looking forward to the final part.

Follow me on Twitter
Follow StarWarsMMO.net on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
Jeff is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-24-2009, 07:12 PM   #10
Darth333
Administraterror

That was great. Thanks a lot Pavlos!
Darth333 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-24-2009, 11:57 PM   #11
Bee Hoon
ngom ngom ngom

Forum Veteran Veteran Fan Fic Author LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
Awesome interview, Pavlos! Thank you

The sun goes down and the sky reddens, pain grows sharp.
light dwindles. Then is evening
when jasmine flowers open, the deluded say.
But evening is the great brightening dawn
when crested cocks crow all through the tall city
and evening is the whole day
for those without their lovers

-Kuruntokai 234, translated by A.K. Ramanujan

[Fic] Shreds of a Dying Belief
Bee Hoon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-25-2009, 12:13 AM   #12
Serpentine Cougar
Veteran

Current Game: Beneath A Steel Sky
Helpful! 
Cool interview; thanks for getting it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Char Ell View Post
I enjoyed the self-deprecating background done in third person.
Agreed - and it had an RPG flair to it as well.

Serpentine Cougar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-26-2009, 07:57 AM   #13
Pavlos
Scruffy Englishman

Part III

Apologies for the delayed post. This is the final part of our Chris Avellone interview. Yeah... that's all there is to it. Parts one and two can be found here und here.

Quote:
Putting aside Mr. Avellone, the businessman, though: Did you like the ending (or what was planned for it) yourself?

Yes

Old 02-26-2009, 11:37 AM   #14
Yar-El
Banned

Current Game: The Witcher
Quote:
"I am never going to do an Empire Strikes Back ending again in a game, even if they put branding irons to my feet." Why not? What sort of Will save do you need to successfully resist the branding irons, anyway?

You can never guarantee a publisher will want to do a sequel, and if they do, there's no guarantee that a development team will remain stable for the next game. For example, for NX1: Mask of the Betrayer (and this isn't a bad thing), the NX1 team did not wish to continue the NWN2 narrative. For Knights 2, we didn't have Knights 3 lined up. For Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance 1 we didn't have the same team for Dark Alliance 2, and unfortunately for the second team, they felt the need to explain the ending for Dark Alliance 1, which I didn't feel was necessary in the first place.

So, in short, I guess the cautionary tale is not to present any sort of ending that doesn’t resolve itself, because anything that follows is so uncertain that you can’t guarantee you’ll have a shot at continuing the story.
Mr. Avellone,

That might be why you didn't get Knights 3. You didn't plan ahead. I wanted to achieve something wonderous in Knights 2; thus, ending with the overwhelming sense of accomplishment. It never happend. I loved everything else about the game, but I hated how Malacore V played out. Here is the irony -- You may never get another chance to fix it all. Knowing you might not get a sequel should have played into your plans; therefore, you should have created a more defined ending to Knights 2. I'm overwhelmed with joy that BioWare, Knights' founding fathers, will accomplish what you can't. We will have our ending, and it will be epic Star Wars style.

Yar.
Yar-El is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-26-2009, 11:52 AM   #15
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

Pity, I actually liked the ESB-style uncertain ending. It fit the game like butter on bread.

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-26-2009, 11:54 AM   #16
Pavlos
Scruffy Englishman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yar-El View Post
That might be why you didn't get Knights 3. You didn't plan ahead. I wanted to achieve something wonderous in Knights 2; thus, ending with the overwhelming sense of accomplishment. It never happend. I loved everything else about the game, but I hated how Malacore V played out.
The ending of KotOR II was designed from the off to be... empty. Even though a lot of the feeling you get from it is accident rather than art, it is fitting that in a game filled with circular (hole-like) rooms and a lot of talk about "echoes" and "voids" that you should feel disappointed and defeated.

Old 02-26-2009, 12:58 PM   #17
Yar-El
Banned

Current Game: The Witcher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlos View Post
The ending of KotOR II was designed from the off to be... empty. Even though a lot of the feeling you get from it is accident rather than art, it is fitting that in a game filled with circular (hole-like) rooms and a lot of talk about "echoes" and "voids" that you should feel disappointed and defeated.
Avellone mentioned it was intended to be part two to a three part play; however, the plans for working on a part three were not etched in stone. He planned for the story to be continued, but he didn't have the contract in hand for a third. Avellone knew ahead of time there might not be a third; thus, he proceeded with the cliffhanger anyway. Revan and Exile's story will not be concluded until the MMO; however, it will not feel like an Obsidian sequel. BioWare will most likely conclude them in a datapad or something. Placing the MMO 300 years into the future gives them a clean pallete, and they will begin the process all over again. It will be as if Revan and Exile's history is wiped clean. Knights 2 will never have a official cinematic single player rpg ending. Knowing how the world turns out tomorrow takes away from being surprised. Avellone lost his chance; thus, he should have planned a better ending.

Last edited by Yar-El; 02-26-2009 at 01:24 PM.
Yar-El is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-26-2009, 01:54 PM   #18
TKA-001
I sneer at thee.

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
The Force has always bugged me from the sense of pre-destination, and I thought trying to make a sympathetic Sith Lord would be challenging, so I went ahead and did it (I don’t think I succeeded, but I enjoyed the challenge).
Quote:
It probably has to do with my unresolved irritation with religion and zealots.
Quote:
the theme of the Sith Lords was an examination of a universe where an all-powerful cosmic force is guiding its individuals to achieve certain nebulous ends, and how I would feel trapped in a universe like that – and how much I would want to rebel against it (which both the player and their mentor explore differently). So how do you fight back?
Does this mean what I think it means? If so, then Darth Traya is Avellone's instrument of inserting his own opinion on Star Wars' concept of "the Force" into the game.

"There is something going on in time and space, and beyond time and space, which, whether we like it or not, spells duty." -Winston Churchill

"For of all sad words of tongue or pen, The saddest are these: 'It might have been!'" -John Whittier

"Apathy is death." -Kreia
TKA-001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-26-2009, 02:34 PM   #19
Salzella
areiK

Current Game: Portal, Half-Life 2.
^^ I think it probably does, and i'm with Mr Avellone in his view of it as well. Much more interesting than the bread-and-butter lightside/darkside nonsense. If i was in the position where i could plot and write for my own game, i'd change a few things aswell.

starting with those damn ewoks...
Salzella is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-27-2009, 09:47 AM   #20
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Folder extraordinaire Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yar-El View Post
Avellone mentioned it was intended to be part two to a three part play; however, the plans for working on a part three were not etched in stone. He planned for the story to be continued, but he didn't have the contract in hand for a third. Avellone knew ahead of time there might not be a third; thus, he proceeded with the cliffhanger anyway.
That brings to mind the old adage: hindsight is 20/20. Certainly you can second guess Chris Avellone's decisions in KotOR 2: TSL all you want but I think Mr. Avellone is saying he has learned his lesson. IMHO a game designer ideally should be able to accomplish both objectives for a game: creating a self-contained story with enough hooks and lead-ins to create a sequel if the opportunity arises. I guess the position many would take on TSL is that it wasn't sufficiently self-contained and, as you say, left too much of a cliffhanger at the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKA-001 View Post
Does this mean what I think it means? If so, then Darth Traya is Avellone's instrument of inserting his own opinion on Star Wars' concept of "the Force" into the game.
I've thought this was the case for some some time now. Though he couldn't actually make it happen Mr. Avellone introduced the concept that the Force could actually be destroyed. I've wondered if this was one of the reasons LucasArts held off on going with Obsidian for KotOR 3 and then once BioWare approached with the TOR MMORPG concept KotOR 3 ended up becoming a moot point. Not saying this is the case at all as this is just my personal conjecture. But yeah, I get the distinct impression that Chris Avellone isn't all that keen on the concept of an unseen Force that controls people's destinies.

Want to battle against cancer and other chronic diseases? Join Team LFN!

Char Ell is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-27-2009, 10:50 PM   #21
Pavlos
Scruffy Englishman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Char Ell View Post
But yeah, I get the distinct impression that Chris Avellone isn't all that keen on the concept of an unseen Force that controls people's destinies.
Who would be? Especially with the way he portrays it, playing its perpetual game of balance with the lives of every living thing in the universe...

Old 02-28-2009, 09:52 AM   #22
Arátoeldar
Flame Imperishable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlos View Post
Who would be? Especially with the way he portrays it, playing its perpetual game of balance with the lives of every living thing in the universe...
Thank you Pavlos for an excellent interview. It's a toss up for who is my favorite RPG writer. Chris Avellone or Tim Cain.

Not all those who wander are lost.-J.R.R. Tolkien

I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it but by it I see everything else - C.S. Lewis
Arátoeldar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Ahto Spaceport Cantina > StarWarsKnights interviews Chris Avellone