lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: TF2 Mapmaking
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 03-11-2009, 08:37 PM   #1
Da_man
CHEATER (Apparently)

Current Game: Team Fortress 2
TF2 Mapmaking

Alright, I'm on Spring break, and was planning on making a map or two fro Team Fortress 2 (TF2). Does anyone here know anything about map making with the source SDK or whatever it is?

Da_man is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-11-2009, 09:03 PM   #2
jrrtoken

I've fooled around with the Hammer Editor within the SDK for a bit. It's fine, although Valve's decision to have the only closest thing to a user manual is the bare-bones Source Wiki somewhat intimidates average players from mapmaking.

Downloading the SDK is a royal pain in the ass; the download time is horrendous on DSL, and the SDK requires you to run it in Steam, further slowing down your machine.

Overall, if you really want to see if mapmaking is your thing, then go ahead, although expect little in-program help. To be honest, the easiest thing to mod in Source is the config files, as all you really need is WordPad and knowledge of console commands.
jrrtoken is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-11-2009, 10:10 PM   #3
Da_man
CHEATER (Apparently)

Current Game: Team Fortress 2
I can handle the download time, and Steam doesn't slow down my system that much. Are there any other sites for Source modding beyond the SDK wiki?

Da_man is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > The Outlander Club > TF2 Mapmaking