lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Weird Black Out...
Thread Tools Display Modes
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 03-14-2009, 08:45 PM   #1
PR-0927
Formerly Majin Revan
 
PR-0927's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: California
Posts: 1,468
Current Game: BF3
Weird Black Out...

So I was talking to my Mom on the phone earlier today, and she has been going to the hospital several times in a row now, as she has had some stomach pain for several weeks (so she wanted to get herself checked out before we went on vacation for Spring Break, but that's been canceled). Initial scans and tests pointed to possible issue with the appendix (there was some fluid around the appendix), but after taking antibiotics, my Mom went through more scans, and found out her appendix was fine. Apparently they found some kind of tissue build up in her body near there (I won't go into details) and it needs to be removed (most likely not cancerous/malignant).

I'm very new to this whole kind of ordeal - the worst an immediate family member or I have had to go through has been stuff like tonsil removal, pregnancy, twisted ankle, fat build-up in the arm, and one other organ surgery that seemed less severe.

But, my Mom was explaining what was going on, and I know it's not that BIG, but it still worries me in the corner of my mind/subconsciously. This, along with medical details (I have a VERY weak stomach - I could never be a doctor) started making me nauseous. At first I thought I was hungry or needed to burp. I did burp. Then, I got VERY light-headed - beyond anything ever before in my life. My Mom was on the phone, and I just said "I think I'm getting light headed."

Next thing you know, I'm waking up, lying on my couch, wondering how I got there and if I had slept there the night before (I was standing right next to it, lucky me). I was very confused, and was slightly cold-sweating, and my Mom was saying my name, wondering what happened. It felt like I had been out for minutes or even an hour, but my Mom said that it lasted like five seconds.

I don't believe I've ever fainted before until today (but I might have in first grade when trying to climb up a wall, LOL - that might have just been me pretending to faint, I can't remember), and this freaked me out. I was nauseous, and have been a little woozy since then. I keep getting a bit nervous and have the need to burp as well.

My Mom was concerned, and later I got a call from my Dad asking if I was alright. It was nothing, or so I think.

Has anyone else ever blacked out like this, with no recollection of the prior time before fainting? This kind of scares me, and I'm afraid I'll black out again.

I've only come close to this once before when I had to get a blood test and the blood-test person was jamming and wriggling a needle in my arm and couldn't get to my blood vein in my right arm. She started describing it in detail, and this disgusted me and made me very light-headed and nauseous - but she made me lie down before I could pass out.

Any doctors/psychologists/psychiatrists in the house? LOL.

- PR-0927




- Former Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy, Star Wars: Battlefront, and Star Wars: Battlefront II modder. Used to go by the name "Majin Revan."
PR-0927 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-15-2009, 01:53 AM   #2
RoxStar
Moderator
 
RoxStar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,411
Current Game: Everything Zelda
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran LFN Staff Member 
I have come extremely close because of my diabetes before. My brother is in a similar situation as you (I want to say "squeamish" but saying so kind of makes me sounds like a jerk :P).

My youngest brother has actually fainted. He didn't remember what happened before but he was getting blood drawn. If you're concerned, consult a doctor or a school (on-campus college?) nurse. It's good to be proactive and one can never be too careful

RoxStar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-15-2009, 03:59 AM   #3
PR-0927
Formerly Majin Revan
 
PR-0927's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: California
Posts: 1,468
Current Game: BF3
No, it's not mean to say it, it's squeamish, LOL.

And I did actually faint this time - the first time was an almost, but that was a while back.

- PR-0927




- Former Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy, Star Wars: Battlefront, and Star Wars: Battlefront II modder. Used to go by the name "Majin Revan."
PR-0927 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-15-2009, 05:24 AM   #4
jon_hill987
Senior Member
 
jon_hill987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Gloucester (UK)
Posts: 1,989
Current Game: BRINK
Forum Veteran 
I knew someone at school who fainted several times in Biology lessons. Once it was when the one way nature of veins was being explained on someone's arm, no cutting or visible blood involved.






jon_hill987 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-15-2009, 08:37 AM   #5
Dath Maximus
Muad'dib
 
Dath Maximus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Over there
Posts: 3,506
10 year veteran! LF Jester Forum Veteran 
ive come close to being knocked unconcious a few times due to blunt force trauma with my head...but those are stories for another day

and the closest ive come to fainting was due to rapid blood loss, and as any doctor can tell ya, it takes quite a bit of blood being lost at quite a rapid pace for that to happen...also another story for another day


BongoBob: Dath you are the true face of the internet.
Roxstar: Dath is 1/2 Chris Farley 1/2 Lord Voldemort.
Kain: Dath>new guy
TiE23: Dath, lord of accidentally burning the unburnable.
The Seeker: Dath Maximus makes happiness his Bitch.
BongoBob: Dath never keeps his promises. EXCEPT TO KILL!
Dath Maximus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-15-2009, 08:58 AM   #6
leXX
Forum Mum
 
leXX's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: May 2002
Location: London
Posts: 9,200
10 year veteran! Hot Topic Starter LF Jester LFN Staff Member 
I've fainted 3 times in my life that I recall. All of them when I was pregnant. The first was in hospital having blood tests. I had a trainee nurse trying to take my blood, and she was having a hard time finding my vein. The needle went in and out 4 times before I finally passed out. Now I don't usually mind injections, but 4 in row was a bit much.

The second was in a train station. I was 3 months pregnant. Waiting in a queue to buy tickets. Started feeling faint, next thing I knew I was on the ground looking up at a man asking me if I was alright. He was very nice, and called me a cab to take me home.

The third was at a bus stop, waiting for a bus. I started feeling dizzy and collapsed head first onto the pavement. Blood everywhere. Old black woman standing over me asking if I was on drugs. Told her I was pregnant. Long story short, ambulance was called and I was taken to hospital. Nothing serious, but a huge bump on my head.

Every time was due to pregnancy. I suffered during both with feeling extrmely sick in the early months, and standing still for an extended amount of time would always make me feel nausious.


Being human totally sucks most of the time.
Videogames are the only thing that
make life bearable.
- Anorak's Almanac, Chapter 91, Verses 1-2

Add me on: XBL | PSN | Last.fm | Steam
leXX is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-15-2009, 12:10 PM   #7
Anthony
Thats it.
 
Anthony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Canuckistan
Posts: 1,734
Current Game: Life
Forum Veteran 
I blacked out once when I was getting some blood testing. I hadn't had anything to eat that morning, forgetting that they recommended I had at least SOMETHING to eat. Anyway I get there, and the nurse or whoever was taking the blood samples did it wrong and required 3x as much blood as usual. on the third attempt of her getting blood, i started to see stars and my head just fell back into the head rest. I was ALMOST out when the nurse came back with a glass of orange juice which I drank and nearly immediately went back to normal. It was really weird.

Other than that, never fully fainted.


Anthony is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-15-2009, 01:35 PM   #8
MrWally
Gunslinger
 
MrWally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: The City of Lights
Posts: 2,365
Forum Veteran 
Orange juice is magical.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrion View Post
MrWally eats fresh babies in order to maintain his unnatural level of talent.
MrWally is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-15-2009, 04:29 PM   #9
The Seeker
Senior Member
 
The Seeker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 1,324
Fainting spells or syncope are caused by low blood pressure. That's why you can get dizzy and faint if you lose a lot of blood, because your brain just plain isn't being supplied with enough blood and Oxygen.

Here's what happened to you:

Vagus Nerve Stimulation: Fainting may occur if the vagus nerve, which supplies the neck, chest, and intestine, is stimulated. When stimulated, the vagus nerve slows the heart. Such stimulation also causes nausea and cool, clammy skin. This type of fainting is called vasovagal (vasomotor) syncope. The vagus nerve is stimulated by pain, fear, other distress (such as that due to the sight of blood), vomiting, a large bowel movement, and urination. Fainting during or immediately after urination is called micturition syncope. Rarely, vigorous swallowing causes fainting due to stimulation of the vagus nerve.

So it's no biggie obviously. Just happens to some people.

The reason why pregnant women are prone to fainting is because their hearts are having to move a great deal more blood than usual and their bodies sometimes have trouble compensating. Their brain gets deprived, and they go down, but quickly recover because once you're laying down, the heart doesn't have to work so hard to get blood to the brain.


And Shepherds we shall be
For thee, my Lord, for thee.
Power hath descended forth from Thy hand
Our feet may swiftly carry out Thy commands.
So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
And teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In Nomeni Patri Et Fili Spiritus Sancti.

OMG Jedi Knight 4!!!
The Seeker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-15-2009, 06:28 PM   #10
Dath Maximus
Muad'dib
 
Dath Maximus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Over there
Posts: 3,506
10 year veteran! LF Jester Forum Veteran 
i just get into a lot of fights


BongoBob: Dath you are the true face of the internet.
Roxstar: Dath is 1/2 Chris Farley 1/2 Lord Voldemort.
Kain: Dath>new guy
TiE23: Dath, lord of accidentally burning the unburnable.
The Seeker: Dath Maximus makes happiness his Bitch.
BongoBob: Dath never keeps his promises. EXCEPT TO KILL!
Dath Maximus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-15-2009, 06:31 PM   #11
MrWally
Gunslinger
 
MrWally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: The City of Lights
Posts: 2,365
Forum Veteran 
I find that Phoenix Downs are pretty useful if my HP ever reaches zero.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrion View Post
MrWally eats fresh babies in order to maintain his unnatural level of talent.
MrWally is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-15-2009, 07:27 PM   #12
Tyrion
nothing is real
 
Tyrion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: no one I think is in my tree, I mean it must be high or low
Posts: 6,917
LF Jester Forum Veteran 
The only problem with that is that you need someone else to apply the phoenix down on you. Dath doesn't have any friends to kick him in the balls, let alone help him out in any way.



Tyrion is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-15-2009, 07:49 PM   #13
Dath Maximus
Muad'dib
 
Dath Maximus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Over there
Posts: 3,506
10 year veteran! LF Jester Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrion View Post
Dath doesn't have any friends to kick him in the balls, let alone help him out in any way.
i have friends, but i dont need help anywho, and kicking me in the balls simply pisses me off further


BongoBob: Dath you are the true face of the internet.
Roxstar: Dath is 1/2 Chris Farley 1/2 Lord Voldemort.
Kain: Dath>new guy
TiE23: Dath, lord of accidentally burning the unburnable.
The Seeker: Dath Maximus makes happiness his Bitch.
BongoBob: Dath never keeps his promises. EXCEPT TO KILL!
Dath Maximus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-19-2009, 11:25 AM   #14
PR-0927
Formerly Majin Revan
 
PR-0927's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: California
Posts: 1,468
Current Game: BF3
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Seeker View Post
Fainting spells or syncope are caused by low blood pressure. That's why you can get dizzy and faint if you lose a lot of blood, because your brain just plain isn't being supplied with enough blood and Oxygen.

Here's what happened to you:

Vagus Nerve Stimulation: Fainting may occur if the vagus nerve, which supplies the neck, chest, and intestine, is stimulated. When stimulated, the vagus nerve slows the heart. Such stimulation also causes nausea and cool, clammy skin. This type of fainting is called vasovagal (vasomotor) syncope. The vagus nerve is stimulated by pain, fear, other distress (such as that due to the sight of blood), vomiting, a large bowel movement, and urination. Fainting during or immediately after urination is called micturition syncope. Rarely, vigorous swallowing causes fainting due to stimulation of the vagus nerve.

So it's no biggie obviously. Just happens to some people.

The reason why pregnant women are prone to fainting is because their hearts are having to move a great deal more blood than usual and their bodies sometimes have trouble compensating. Their brain gets deprived, and they go down, but quickly recover because once you're laying down, the heart doesn't have to work so hard to get blood to the brain.

Geez man, thanks! You a doctor?

- PR-0927




- Former Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy, Star Wars: Battlefront, and Star Wars: Battlefront II modder. Used to go by the name "Majin Revan."
PR-0927 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-19-2009, 12:17 PM   #15
The Seeker
Senior Member
 
The Seeker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 1,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by PR-0927 View Post
Geez man, thanks! You a doctor?

- PR-0927
No problem. And no, I'm not a doctor, just the Swamp's resident EMT. Glad to help.


And Shepherds we shall be
For thee, my Lord, for thee.
Power hath descended forth from Thy hand
Our feet may swiftly carry out Thy commands.
So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
And teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In Nomeni Patri Et Fili Spiritus Sancti.

OMG Jedi Knight 4!!!
The Seeker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-19-2009, 01:49 PM   #16
Dath Maximus
Muad'dib
 
Dath Maximus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Over there
Posts: 3,506
10 year veteran! LF Jester Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Seeker View Post
No problem. And no, I'm not a doctor, just the Swamp's resident EMT. Glad to help.
and im the main cause of what employs you


youre welcome


BongoBob: Dath you are the true face of the internet.
Roxstar: Dath is 1/2 Chris Farley 1/2 Lord Voldemort.
Kain: Dath>new guy
TiE23: Dath, lord of accidentally burning the unburnable.
The Seeker: Dath Maximus makes happiness his Bitch.
BongoBob: Dath never keeps his promises. EXCEPT TO KILL!
Dath Maximus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-19-2009, 07:06 PM   #17
The Seeker
Senior Member
 
The Seeker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 1,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dath Maximus View Post
and im the main cause of what employs you


youre welcome
Psh, you're doing a pretty slipshod job of keeping up the carnage. My area is swamped with unemployed EMTs


And Shepherds we shall be
For thee, my Lord, for thee.
Power hath descended forth from Thy hand
Our feet may swiftly carry out Thy commands.
So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
And teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In Nomeni Patri Et Fili Spiritus Sancti.

OMG Jedi Knight 4!!!
The Seeker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-21-2009, 03:20 AM   #18
Darth Avlectus
Your point?
 
Darth Avlectus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Attack on Titan
Posts: 4,255
Current Game: Soul Calibur 5
Well let's see...

Zapped by an arc welder (stupidly trying to take shortcuts on safety under abnormal circumstances with increased risks) and got thrown into the wall behind me. The zap knocked me out and the thud brought me to--just glad it wasn't too awfully far to fly nor the power as high as it possibly could have been. Through both arms and right through the chest. My nerves took a hit and were heat desensitized for ~5 years+.

When I realized what happened, the pain shot through me and I'd have to describe it feeling like fiery hot razor barbed wire with pins lodged in every direction within a proximity around the burned path. My head also hurt from the impact.

My brain kind of restarted like a computer, I woke up my senses returned, I remembered where I was and what I was doing, I felt the pain. Taking off the visor I saw in lots of pretty color.

I guess I know what force lightning feels like.

I think a few more times. Either blunt force trauma to the head or near asphyxiation; yea I've gotten in a few fights.

Once in elementary school in a stupid hold your breath tournament, so brief it was a second or two. Just a really dark purple vail, semi transparent clouding vision. I breathed out and my head flopped down. Sitting in desk at math.

Weightlifting strain in highschool. I was benching more than my weight by a significant lot. Fail. Purple/maroon vail mentioned above, all sounds turned a low groggy pitch and movement a blur. After spot lifting it back up onto the rack I stood up straight off the bench, no blood in head, fell forward. Partners pulled me back up off the ground as I come to seconds later.
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-21-2009, 11:51 PM   #19
Anthony
Thats it.
 
Anthony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Canuckistan
Posts: 1,734
Current Game: Life
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA:SWcity View Post
Well let's see...

Zapped by an arc welder (stupidly trying to take shortcuts on safety under abnormal circumstances with increased risks) and got thrown into the wall behind me. The zap knocked me out and the thud brought me to--just glad it wasn't too awfully far to fly nor the power as high as it possibly could have been. Through both arms and right through the chest. My nerves took a hit and were heat desensitized for ~5 years+.

When I realized what happened, the pain shot through me and I'd have to describe it feeling like fiery hot razor barbed wire with pins lodged in every direction within a proximity around the burned path. My head also hurt from the impact.

My brain kind of restarted like a computer, I woke up my senses returned, I remembered where I was and what I was doing, I felt the pain. Taking off the visor I saw in lots of pretty color.

I guess I know what force lightning feels like.

I think a few more times. Either blunt force trauma to the head or near asphyxiation; yea I've gotten in a few fights.

Once in elementary school in a stupid hold your breath tournament, so brief it was a second or two. Just a really dark purple vail, semi transparent clouding vision. I breathed out and my head flopped down. Sitting in desk at math.

Weightlifting strain in highschool. I was benching more than my weight by a significant lot. Fail. Purple/maroon vail mentioned above, all sounds turned a low groggy pitch and movement a blur. After spot lifting it back up onto the rack I stood up straight off the bench, no blood in head, fell forward. Partners pulled me back up off the ground as I come to seconds later.
you should...really...be more careful


Anthony is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-22-2009, 05:09 AM   #20
Dath Maximus
Muad'dib
 
Dath Maximus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Over there
Posts: 3,506
10 year veteran! LF Jester Forum Veteran 
personally i find that blunt force trauma to the head results in me seeing bright reddish orange flashes, and the really strong bouts of trauma to the skull are followed by a dimming of all visible light, especially the peripheral vision


BongoBob: Dath you are the true face of the internet.
Roxstar: Dath is 1/2 Chris Farley 1/2 Lord Voldemort.
Kain: Dath>new guy
TiE23: Dath, lord of accidentally burning the unburnable.
The Seeker: Dath Maximus makes happiness his Bitch.
BongoBob: Dath never keeps his promises. EXCEPT TO KILL!
Dath Maximus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-22-2009, 03:33 PM   #21
Kain
I'm a ghost
 
Kain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 4,269
Current Game: Not so much.
Forum Veteran 10 year veteran! 
I got drunk one night and blacked out going over the skyway that leads home. That was awesome...
Kain is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Community > Yoda’s Swamp > Weird Black Out...

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:53 AM.

LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.