lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Fond Memories of JediBoard (Redux) - A Dedication Memoir Thread
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 04-18-2009, 02:57 AM   #1
StarWarsGooN

Fond Memories of JediBoard (Redux) - A Dedication Memoir Thread

Where is danbeck - Daniel Beckham - when we need him?! JediBoard was one of the truly simplistic, awesome, and
uniquely conceived ip bulletin boards ever devised for multiplayer star wars gaming!
To this day I've never seen its Equal. I and a whole lot of other community
members would still be using it today if it were still around and properly maintained
and operational - too bad the Death Star blew it up by a script file error and server transfer years ago.

Just look @ my Join Date for these LucasForums and behold the proof that I'm a revered veteran of here!
StarWarsGooN is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-02-2009, 03:54 PM   #2
Mentat
Rookie

Current Game: JKDF2, JKMotS & HL2
I too enjoyed using the JediBoard until it stopped functioning. My clan & I used to use
it for Jedi Knight & Mysteries of the Sith until the odd hours of the morning for years.
Once it stopped working we were forced to switch to the Internet Gaming Zone.

It would be relatively painless for me to create a modern rendition of the JediBoard.
As a matter of fact, I think I'll give it a shot. Once I have the first version with basic
functionality completed I'll post an update.
Mentat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-04-2009, 03:46 AM   #3
Kurgan
Headhunter

LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
Thanks for this. I too miss the good old days.

I haven't heard from the guy in years, but I raise my glass to him now!

PS: Mentat, do that and link it and you're my hero!

Download JK2 maps for JA Server|BOOT CAMP!|Strategic Academy|
(JA Server: 108.178.55.189:29070)

"The Concussion Rifle is the weapon of a Jedi Knight Player, an elegant weapon, from a more civilized community." - Kyle Katarn
Kurgan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-04-2009, 05:57 PM   #4
Mentat
Rookie

Quote:
PS: Mentat, do that and link it and you're my hero!
I'm hoping to have the web server up & running by this weekend. I have a really basic but functional version coded
already (users have the ability to post the server's IP address, the map/level name & the mod name (the 1st version
may not support URLs but the 2nd version will...we'll see)). I spent a few hours typing up an outline for this project
last night. I have a ton of great ideas that will eventually result in a ton of features that take it beyond what it original
was but it will still maintain the feel of the original so that we can all feel the nostalgia. Once I get the CSS layout
coded I'll post a link here.
Old 08-08-2009, 02:05 PM   #5
ZeqMacaw
Lurker

Try out JKLauncher. I have been developing it for the last
several years, and am currently using it every day to work out bugs and polish up the features. The project site for it
describes what is planned and what it can do. The project site links a very old version, but a new much-improved one
should be linked within the next few days.

JKLauncher (underneath the hood) uses the equivalent of an IP board, but provides so much more than an IP board
could.

I am not implying that Mentat should stop working on an IP board, as some will probably like the IP board better
(because of ease of use or being web-based).

ZeqMacaw is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-09-2009, 12:22 PM   #6
Mentat
Rookie

No offense taken. I'm actually a big fan of JK Launcher. The JediBoard was always more of an
underground group of players that avoided the larger portion of the community like the IGZ for
one reason or another. Once I get everything up & running, I'll actually be linking to your application
& recommending that users use both solutions (JediBoard & JK Launcher) when they're interested in
reaching out to more players. This would be similar to the way that JediBoard & Qtracker used to
work together.

Last edited by Mentat; 08-09-2009 at 12:28 PM.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:54 PM   #7
StarWarsGooN

Thumbs up

Mentat, if you pull this off, then you truly are a Godsend from The Force.

I'm so enthralled about this potential jediBoard revival! It's been far too long. Much thanks and appreciation for this.

Just look @ my Join Date for these LucasForums and behold the proof that I'm a revered veteran of here!
StarWarsGooN is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-10-2009, 10:02 PM   #8
Mentat
Rookie

I didn't want anyone to think that I've forgotten about this project. I work 40-60 hours per week,
I'm helping a friend edit/type his book, some of which must be submitted to his publisher soon &
I'm a newlywed so I don't have as much time as I'd like to have. However, rest assured that I'm
dedicated to getting this project up & running & will be devoting every spare moment that I have
to this.

Here's where we're at...
  • The webserver is up & running (it took me a little longer to get this up & running because
    I had to teach myself to install, update & run linux from the terminal).
  • The domain is registered (www.jediboard.com). There's nothing there except a generic
    HTML document at the moment (this will soon change).

Feel free to bookmark the website because it'll be updated as soon as I install a few more packages
& finish the generic CSS layout.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:40 PM   #9
Mentat
Rookie

Here's what the JediBoard looks like at this point. The first version is very limited but it's functional.
I'll post here again once the website is active.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:13 AM   #10
Kurgan
Headhunter

LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
Cool! Can you put in the option to make the colors customizable (user defined)?

Download JK2 maps for JA Server|BOOT CAMP!|Strategic Academy|
(JA Server: 108.178.55.189:29070)

"The Concussion Rifle is the weapon of a Jedi Knight Player, an elegant weapon, from a more civilized community." - Kyle Katarn
Kurgan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-18-2009, 06:43 PM   #11
Mentat
Rookie

That's something that I can eventually add support for but it definitely won't be at the top of the list. I'm focusing more on functionality in the beginning & once everything is running smoothly, I'll start adding features such as the one you mentioned.
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Game Discussion > Jedi Knight / MotS > Fond Memories of JediBoard (Redux) - A Dedication Memoir Thread