lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: A Max to 3ds, Obj, gmax, etc Converter?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 04-07-2009, 08:22 PM   #1
HK-42
HK47+Marvin=

Current Game: AssassinsCreed,kotor
Hot Topic Starter 
A Max to 3ds, Obj, gmax, etc Converter?

Is there a way to convert a Max(as in 3ds Max format) to 3ds, Obj, gmax, or another filetype gmax can read? Without having 3ds Max of course, unless someone is interested in volunteering. Been search google for one, with no avail.

Last edited by HK-42; 04-07-2009 at 08:29 PM.
HK-42 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-07-2009, 08:38 PM   #2
TriggerGod

Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HK-42 View Post
Is there a way to convert a Max(as in 3ds Max format) to 3ds, Obj, gmax, or another filetype gmax can read? Without having 3ds Max of course, unless someone is interested in volunteering. Been search google for one, with no avail.
I am afraid that, AFAIK, a .max file can not be converted into a .3ds (.3ds was a format used by earlier versions of Max) or into a .gmax file. As for an OBJ file, 3ds has an importer, and I've heard around the tubes that it has a custom made importer (not sure if it doubles as an exporter like the GMax OBJ tool) because the built-in importer sucks for larger files.

Out of curiosity, why do you need a .max file into GMax?
TriggerGod is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-07-2009, 08:43 PM   #3
HK-42
HK47+Marvin=

Hot Topic Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerGod View Post
I am afraid that, AFAIK, a .max file can not be converted into a .3ds (.3ds was a format used by earlier versions of Max) or into a .gmax file. As for an OBJ file, 3ds has an importer, and I've heard around the tubes that it has a custom made importer (not sure if it doubles as an exporter like the GMax OBJ tool) because the built-in importer sucks for larger files.

Out of curiosity, why do you need a .max file into GMax?
Yea I have Gmax Obj Tool, but I cant use one with 3ds Max without 3ds Max

I need it to get some files off a site( www.turbosquid.com ) into gmax, to see if I can get them in KOTOR.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:32 PM   #4
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
MAX is a propriety format - you have to buy a licence to distribute a product that can read/write MAX files. Consequently there are very few apps that do. You'll have to find someone with a copy of Max that you can send the files to and ask them to convert it to a universal format like OBJ.
DarthParametric is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-07-2009, 11:14 PM   #5
RoxStar

Current Game: Everything Zelda
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthParametric View Post
MAX is a propriety format - you have to buy a licence to distribute a product that can read/write MAX files. Consequently there are very few apps that do. You'll have to find someone with a copy of Max that you can send the files to and ask them to convert it to a universal format like OBJ.
If they were to let gMax and 3DsMax mingle like that whole teams could be set up working on gMax with only one 3ds license. The lads at Autodesk need to eat!

RoxStar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-07-2009, 11:17 PM   #6
HK-42
HK47+Marvin=

Hot Topic Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxStar View Post
If they were to let gMax and 3DsMax mingle like that whole teams could be set up working on gMax with only one 3ds license. The lads at Autodesk need to eat!
If they use all that money to eat, then they are quite fat charging 3000 Dollars a program

Old 04-07-2009, 11:35 PM   #7
ROTNR
Rookie

Current Game: KotOR
http://www.turbosquid.com/Forum/Inde...ThreadID/25509 <--- I found this post, it may help you, I dont really know since I've never tried it.
ROTNR is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-24-2011, 08:54 AM   #8
celticpath
Lurker

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK-42 View Post
I realize that your post was made a while back, but I just recently came across a similar problem, and your post. I was looking for a free model of a macaw, for a design that I'm working on. And after days of searching, I finally found what I was looking for. But I ran into one problem- it was a .max file, and I had nothing that would read it. I've got Poser, Bryce and Daz3D. None of them would open it. So, I broke down and downloaded a free trial of 3ds Max 2010 and installed it. I have no clue how to use that program, and really don't think I'm going to learn it very quick (I've gotten very spoiled on Poser and Bryce. lol). So, I looked around 3ds Max to see if there was an Export option.
Low and behold, EUREKA! I found out that I could export my file as a .3ds! I was so happy and relieved after a long and brain numbing search for a macaw that I could use in either Bryce or Poser (especially for free). And now I have one- well, it's actually two macaws together, but I only need one, so I separated them in Bryce.
Anyway, if you're using the 2010 version of Max, look up in the top left corner, and you'll see the blueish-green colored 3ds Max logo. Click on it, and there will be a drop-down menu. Click the black triangle next to the word Export, and you'll be given three options of exporting. Choose either the top or middle option, unless you want to export it as a .DWF file.

Here is a list of file extensions that you can export as in Autodesk 3ds Max 2010:
  • Autodesk (.fbx)
    3D Studio (.3ds)
    Adobe Illustrator (.AI)
    ASCII Scene Export (.ase)
    Lightscape Material (.atr)
    Lightscape Blocks (.blk)
    Autodesk Collada (.dae)
    Lightscape Parameter (.df)
    Publish to DWF (.dwf)
    AutoCAD (.dwg)
    AutoCAD (.dxf)
    Flight Studio OpenFlight (.flt)
    Motion Analysis HTR File (.htr)
    IGES (.igs)
    Lightscape Layers (.lay)
    Lightscape Preparation (.lp)
    JSR-184 (.m3g)
    gw::OBJ-Exporter (.obj)
    StereoLitho (.stl)
    Lightscape View (.vw)
    Shockwave 3D Scene Export (.w3d)
    VRML97 (.wrl)

Hope that helps.
celticpath is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Editing / Modding > Holowan Laboratories > A Max to 3ds, Obj, gmax, etc Converter?