lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: 14 year-old receives life in prison without possibility of parole.
Thread Tools Display Modes
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 12-03-2009, 02:26 PM   #41
machievelli
Local curmudgeon
 
machievelli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Las Vegas Nevada
Posts: 2,817
Current Game: Dungeonseige series
Hot Topic Starter Veteran Fan Fic Author Helpful! Forum Veteran 
The worst part of people pleading for mercy in cases like this is the fact that a criminal has more rights than the victim ever had. They suggested chemical castration in Califorina for child molesters, but it was shot down because it violates the criminal's rights to reproduce. If they ever develop a way to do a mind wipe, removing the personality and replacing it with someone who would be productive, it would be fought on the same grounds, that a murderer's memories are more important than supplying a productive member of society.

Some right to life idjit arguing against the death penalty claimed we would be judged as a society by how we treat our worst, in their case, meaning some person that wasn't worth the cost of the bullet.

My answer was that Hellen Keller succeeding in leading a full and productive life, Stephen Hawking even trapped in his wheel chair has done seminal work that will outlive him in physics, and Franklyn Rossevelt became president even with polio crippled legs.

But someone who put his own wants needs and desires above another person's life only deserves the same pity I have for any animal that attacks a human being. To be put down mercifully


'To argue with those who have renounced the use and authority of reason is as futile as to administer medicine to the dead.' Now who said that?

From the one who brought you;
What we die for...
Acceptance
KOTOR excerpts
Star Wars: The Beginning
Star Wars: Republic Dawn
Return From Exile
machievelli is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-03-2009, 11:30 PM   #42
ForeverNight
nrgurt researcher
 
ForeverNight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Minnesota, USA
Posts: 1,204
Current Game: q2
Franklyn Rossevelt?



Anyway, I agree. I'm a little leary about replacing memories, but otherewise I'm in full agreement. Just give a punishment that fits the crime and leave it at that. While I agree with some criminal rights -the US isn't China- there's Criminal Rights and then there's Bat-****-Crazy.

Ah well, least he got his life.... several years ago. Now lets hope he became 'friends' with some guy called Bubba.



ForeverNight is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-04-2009, 01:18 AM   #43
D'oh
Rookie
 
D'oh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Hollywood Ca
Posts: 10
Current Game: Modern Warfare 2
This kid gets life and Dante Stallworth gets 30 days. Where is justice ?

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=7867036&page=1


D'oh is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-04-2009, 02:28 AM   #44
ForeverNight
nrgurt researcher
 
ForeverNight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Minnesota, USA
Posts: 1,204
Current Game: q2
Dante didn't get only 30 days if you'll read your own article.

Other than that, I might assume some money changed hands, but that's all I can guess w/o knowing the full story.

Besides, this guy was deliberate, Dante's wasn't.


ForeverNight is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-04-2009, 09:16 AM   #45
Ztalker
Saving the world casually
 
Ztalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Normandy SR-2
Posts: 2,780
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by machievelli View Post
The worst part of people pleading for mercy in cases like this is the fact that a criminal has more rights than the victim ever had. They suggested chemical castration in Califorina for child molesters, but it was shot down because it violates the criminal's rights to reproduce. If they ever develop a way to do a mind wipe, removing the personality and replacing it with someone who would be productive, it would be fought on the same grounds, that a murderer's memories are more important than supplying a productive member of society.

Some right to life idjit arguing against the death penalty claimed we would be judged as a society by how we treat our worst, in their case, meaning some person that wasn't worth the cost of the bullet.

My answer was that Hellen Keller succeeding in leading a full and productive life, Stephen Hawking even trapped in his wheel chair has done seminal work that will outlive him in physics, and Franklyn Rossevelt became president even with polio crippled legs.

But someone who put his own wants needs and desires above another person's life only deserves the same pity I have for any animal that attacks a human being. To be put down mercifully
Quoted for epicness

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'oh View Post
This kid gets life and Dante Stallworth gets 30 days. Where is justice ?

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=7867036&page=1
That's the only problem I have with some countries (especially the US') law system. Money can help you. I call it OJ-ism.

Ztalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-04-2009, 12:41 PM   #46
Web Rider
Senior Member
 
Web Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: here
Posts: 1,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by D'oh View Post
This kid gets life and Dante Stallworth gets 30 days. Where is justice ?

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=7867036&page=1
That depends on what you call "justice".

Should every person who ever killed another person for ANY reason be put in jail for life? If this were the way we should look at it, we should all lock ourselves up. Because we are all responsible for somebody's death in some way or another, even if you have to use the 6-point-rule to do it.

Is drinking and driving stupid? Hell yes. Should everyone with a grade-school education know better? Damn right they should. But lots of people get drunk, and lots of people drive drunk, not all of them cause accidents. Fewer of those actually kill people.

Is running across the street stupid? Yes it is. Should everyone with a grade-school education know better? Damn right they should. But lots of people do it and lots of people get killed for it. The man he killed I'm certain was in no crosswalk. Should be have been sent to jail as well if he survived?

Lotts is in prison Stallworth is not for two important reasons besides money. Stallworth committed a crime of stupidity. He drove drunk, and for that stupidity, someone died. He did not go out wanting to kill someone, he did not go out targeting this man in particular. He even stuck around the crime-scene, very few hit+run drivers do that. In short, Stallworth was stupid and owned up to his crime.

Lotts is in prison because he killed his brother in cold blood. He did not have the assistance of alcohol to inhibit his thinking, he did not have a car to propel him at inhuman speeds. He and his brother were playing a friendly game, that Lotts decided to make into a deadly one. Lotts is in prison because he made the decision to escalate a situation into violence and he chose to murder his brother. It was not a "stupid mistake". Thinking you're sober enough to drive is a "stupid mistake". Stupid mistakes do not include "I think I'm going to go from playing a fun game with fake guns, to taking a real knife and stabbing my brother."

So, is it "justice" that the death of a man by a stupid mistake results in a lighter punishment than the death of a minor by a desire to kill? Yeah, I think it is.


"So if you go to Washington, it's buildings clean and nice. Bring a pack of matches...and we'll burn the White House twice!"

"Nobody's talking about extermination. No one ever does. They just do it." - Magneto

"Don't solicit for your sister, that's not nice, unless you get a good percentage of her price."
Web Rider is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-04-2009, 01:05 PM   #47
D'oh
Rookie
 
D'oh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Hollywood Ca
Posts: 10
Current Game: Modern Warfare 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverNight View Post
Dante didn't get only 30 days if you'll read your own article.

Other than that, I might assume some money changed hands, but that's all I can guess w/o knowing the full story.

Besides, this guy was deliberate, Dante's wasn't.
I love how you tell me to read the article. When the article says he reached a financial settlement already.



Last edited by D'oh; 12-04-2009 at 01:28 PM.
D'oh is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-05-2009, 12:17 AM   #48
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem
 
Jae Onasi's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 10,912
Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Posts on drunk driving crimes have been moved to this thread. Carry on.


From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Kavar's Corner > 14 year-old receives life in prison without possibility of parole.

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:54 AM.

LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.