lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Love is irrational
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 04-11-2009, 01:54 AM   #41
Rake
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qliveur View Post
Easy enough. People are full of ****. They'll say anything to get what they want from each other and to rationalize their motives and actions. I've never observed any evidence of the real thing; only lies.
That seems sort of awkward to me. Isn't that like someone claiming they are mentally ill, but in reality they are full of ****. So because some people falsely claim mental insanity, mental disorders do not exist? I think love does genuinely exist at times, especially with physical attractions.
Rake is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-11-2009, 01:56 AM   #42
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Perhaps I could/should have been more clear, but I wanted to see if you acknowledged the existence of something I thought to be irrational, and the first thing that popped into my head was love. I was curious. That is all I was addressing.
Quote:
People are full of ****.
Quote:
They'll say anything to rationalize their motives and actions.
Your point has been well made, sir. Thank you for the interesting discussion.
Achilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-11-2009, 05:22 AM   #43
Darth Avlectus
Your point?

Current Game: Soul Calibur 5
@ thread:

There is significant difference between lasting love (many call it the truest form of it), and lust (urge to have unbridled sex to satisfy the baser instincts). Is love irrational: yes. Is it always? NO.

Though it can be irrational, it is also truth of sorts. Problem is how best to express it. One thing about such a powerful emotion is that it is difficult to control. Difficult but still possible. It is also used in a variety of ways. Unaffectionate ways. Ultimately it is intended for the good of others and of oneself.

An example of rational, unconditional love:

An episode of Dr. House. A girl tried to commit suicide. She was rescued.
House asked her why she did it. She couldn't reply anything except that she made a horrible mistake. Then there was the question of if he was going to notify her parents. He did, with great reservation, tell her technically that he couldn't do anything if she promised not to attempt suicide again. She promised. House got a rather cynical half-disgusted look on his face and muttered "Yeah right."

A sort of tough love tactic, but in all honesty, probably would have had a profound effect on a patient in real life. For the better.

That is not to say, though, that irrational acts end up badly. Someone jumps in front of certain danger (perhaps death) in order to save another. Irrational, but it was for the same reason: love.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles View Post
You must be new.
Maybe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxStar View Post
They don't call it "falling" in love for nothing.

Falling in love is completely irrational, but completely amazing.
The best is ultimately whether or not it lasts, in my opinion. Something I haven't yet achieved. However, I think most would generally tend to agree with that assertion. I do.

True they don't call it falling for no reason. The fall can be very hard--which is probably an understatement. It's much the same way as ending up putting craters in the floor of your electronics lab, or accidentally destroying equipment: if you are not risking something, you're not trying hard enough. It can be great in freefall, but the landing is rough. It hurts badly too. I wonder if it is truly possible to feel the good and joy without also the hardships, the pain, and the sorrow. Maybe it is, but I'd think it would not be appreciated without sometihng to contrast it. At the very least it defines purpose. Feel free to disagree, though.

Quote:
If you're going to accuse me of lying, Achilles, I would suggest that you either prove it or retract it.

I care not which.
Ooh, vicious.

"I cant see S***! --YOU GO TO HELL!" --Tourettes guy
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-11-2009, 08:10 AM   #44
Ray Jones
[armleglegarmhead]

10 year veteran! LF Jester Helpful! Forum Veteran 
Is love irrational? No. How could it be? It's merely an evolutionary concept. Can it cause behaviour, which is seemingly irrational? Yes. Does this mean this behaviour actually is irrational? No.

Ray Jones is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-11-2009, 08:24 AM   #45
EnderWiggin
Sine Amore Nihil Est Vita

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxStar View Post
They don't call it "falling" in love for nothing.

Falling in love is completely irrational, but completely amazing.

Quote:
I'm inclined to agree with SkinWalker that love does not exist in reality, and that it's a pretty facade that we put on our emotional codependency.
What do you mean? Without defining "love" it is impossible to claim this.

Perhaps the "emotional codependency" is what love is?

Hopefully you see my point

_EW_

Hello, Pot? This is Kettle. You're black. ~ Prime

Yes, I hate you.

J7 - thanks for accepting me as part of the 'family.'
EnderWiggin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-11-2009, 03:47 PM   #46
Ray Jones
[armleglegarmhead]

10 year veteran! LF Jester Helpful! Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom Rabbit
Love is a stainless steel eagle inscribed with hellish utterances, jet black, bristling with missiles and chain guns under a forty-foot wingspan that comes screeching down upon you on a moonless, stormy night. Its only purpose can be to destroy.
Everyone who was ever in love knows this.

Ray Jones is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Community > Senate Chambers > Love is irrational