lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Nice changes but...
Thread Tools Display Modes
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 04-14-2009, 12:43 AM   #1
Darth Avlectus
Your point?
 
Darth Avlectus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Attack on Titan
Posts: 4,255
Current Game: Soul Calibur 5
Nice changes but...

Hey, I'm glad for what all you've done, don't get me wrong. However, I do see that the edit feature does not inform you that your message has been edited either by yourself or a higherup.

I'm not so sure this is a good idea: it would be nice to see whom edited it so one could ask what of a post has displeased them so. Also, it hides dishonesty in debates I would think.

Thank you for your time.


"I cant see S***! --YOU GO TO HELL!" --Tourettes guy
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-14-2009, 12:47 AM   #2
Da_man
CHEATER (Apparently)
 
Da_man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sunny Arizona
Posts: 1,173
Current Game: Team Fortress 2
After a post gets edited, there is a little message that pop ups at the bottom of the post, that says who edited it,when, and why (if given). I don't know if anything got changed recently, so might just be a problem on your end.

Da_man is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-14-2009, 12:50 AM   #3
True_Avery
Banned
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,002
I believe that, to keep confusion down, there is a few minutes (I think 2-5) of free edits before the boards starts counting them as edits.

However, I believe this only counts for your own edits within the next few minutes. If I mod edits your post, regardless of the time, it should pop up on the bottom of the post.

Also, a mod is required to leave a note in a post they edit so if a mod edits a post, you'll know. The only times this doesn't happen is when the post is outright deleted, in which case you will receive a PM if it was for anything important.

Hope that helps.
True_Avery is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-14-2009, 01:08 AM   #4
Jeff
Rating: Awesome
 
Jeff's Avatar
 
Status: Administrator
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Chicago, IL, USA
Posts: 8,431
Current Game: SWTOR
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
Yep, Avery pretty much summed it up. You have a few minutes to edit your post without a notice showing up, after that you'll see a notice, and any moderator who edits another's post will always show an edited by note. This is not a recent change, not sure what you mean by that.


Follow me on Twitter
Follow StarWarsMMO.net on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
Jeff is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-14-2009, 01:25 AM   #5
Q
The one who knocks
 
Q's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: ABQ
Posts: 6,643
Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
I think that the ghost edit grace period got bumped down from ~10 minutes to ~5 recently, but that's the only thing that I've noticed.

Now I have to do all of my proof-reading before hitting the post button, but I should have been doing that all along anyway.


"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-14-2009, 06:35 AM   #6
stoffe
Network Caretaker
 
stoffe's Avatar
 
Status: Administrator
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 5,833
Helpful! 10 year veteran! Notable contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by True_Avery View Post
However, I believe this only counts for your own edits within the next few minutes. If I mod edits your post, regardless of the time, it should pop up on the bottom of the post.
Actually that does apply to all edits, whether they're done by the author of the post or a moderator. If the post is edited within 5 minutes of its creation no "edited by..." notice will be added unless the one who edits writes something in the Reason text field. As far as I am aware moderators usually specify a reason for their edits though.


Last edited by stoffe; 04-14-2009 at 06:57 AM.
stoffe is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-14-2009, 06:47 AM   #7
ChAiNz.2da
Leave Everything to Me!
 
ChAiNz.2da's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Tennessee (USA)
Posts: 6,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoffe View Post
As far as I am aware moderators usually specify a reason for their edits though.
And if not.. they should


"Eagles May Soar, But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines"


| Mods (FF) (DS) | Folding | SWK.com | FB: (LF) (Me) | Steam | The Herd |
ChAiNz.2da is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-14-2009, 09:13 PM   #8
EnderWiggin
Sine Amore Nihil Est Vita
 
EnderWiggin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,395
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
But I believe administrators have the ability to "ghost" edit (ie they can remove that "edited by" tag).... is that true, the stoffe?

_EW_



Hello, Pot? This is Kettle. You're black. ~ Prime

Yes, I hate you.

J7 - thanks for accepting me as part of the 'family.'
EnderWiggin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-14-2009, 11:11 PM   #9
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月
 
Sabretooth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderWiggin View Post
But I believe administrators have the ability to "ghost" edit (ie they can remove that "edited by" tag).... is that true, the stoffe?
You'd never know, would you Ender?


Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-15-2009, 12:24 AM   #10
Darth Avlectus
Your point?
 
Darth Avlectus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Attack on Titan
Posts: 4,255
Current Game: Soul Calibur 5
OK. Well, thank you all, my friends. That is what I was wondering. You have answered me quite perfectly. Thanks.


"I cant see S***! --YOU GO TO HELL!" --Tourettes guy
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-15-2009, 06:03 AM   #11
EnderWiggin
Sine Amore Nihil Est Vita
 
EnderWiggin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,395
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth View Post
You'd never know, would you Ender?
True, true. Just think I remember hearing something like that from a higher-up.

_EW_



Hello, Pot? This is Kettle. You're black. ~ Prime

Yes, I hate you.

J7 - thanks for accepting me as part of the 'family.'
EnderWiggin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-15-2009, 09:26 AM   #12
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem
 
Jae Onasi's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 10,912
Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderWiggin View Post
But I believe administrators have the ability to "ghost" edit (ie they can remove that "edited by" tag).... is that true, the stoffe?

_EW_
Admins can 'ghost edit' a post without leaving traces that it's been edited, yes. However, that's done quite infrequently--they usually leave a reason behind.


From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-16-2009, 04:57 AM   #13
Darth Avlectus
Your point?
 
Darth Avlectus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Attack on Titan
Posts: 4,255
Current Game: Soul Calibur 5
^ Why would they need to hide something?

@ thread: You ppl, and staff who kindly replied: I love you all...in a...distant sorta way.
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Forum Help & Feedback Center > Nice changes but...

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:02 AM.

LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.