lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Crispy Gamer interviews BioWare's doctors
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 04-24-2009, 07:29 AM   #1
Pavlos
Scruffy Englishman

Current Game: Viking Warrior Poets
Crispy Gamer interviews BioWare's doctors

Source

Crispy Gamer (it just sounds wrong...) has conducted an interview in which stories and methods of story-telling are discuffed between the two founding fathers of BioWare: Doctors Ray Muzyka and Greg Zeschuk.

"I'd say that the bigger tent pole is emotion," says Dr. Muzyka, "and story is more of a path towards that. You create that path with the characters, the story and the narrative, by making choices and having consequences result in the narrative flow. Narrative is bigger than just story, too. Story's one valid way -- an important way -- to get narratives conveyed, but narrative can be the social interaction outside a game, in community interactions or user-generated content."

A rather curious definition of narrative there but interesting nonetheless. It's nice to know that BioWare are still committed to creating "quality story-lines", I just wish I was as interested in their latest offerings as they seem to be.

StarWarsKnights.com -- News and features will be returning shortly...

I 'gin to be a-weary of the sun,
And wish the estate o' the world were now undone.

Last edited by Pavlos; 04-24-2009 at 07:35 AM.
Pavlos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-24-2009, 05:09 PM   #2
jrrtoken

Nice of them talk about how great and expansive their stories are; If only they would actually write decently, then maybe their words could have substance.
jrrtoken is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-25-2009, 12:13 PM   #3
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Folder extraordinaire Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Zeschuk
We know the tech's not that far off from the point where we'll all have engines that are pretty similar and they'll all look awesome. If we want to do super-realistic, we can; and if we want to do cartoony, rubbery guys, we can. Now it's all about how you tell the story.
Hmmm.... Story is very important to me but I don't know that I agree with Dr. Zeschuk in that we're rapidly approaching the point where all engines will be pretty similar. Sure he has a lot more visibility into this than I do but until we start getting some Star Trek holo deck type stuff to play I think game engines have a long way to go in development and will take different paths.

Want to battle against cancer and other chronic diseases? Join Team LFN!

Char Ell is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > The Outlander Club > Crispy Gamer interviews BioWare's doctors