lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: [Spoiler Warning]Revan's Mask
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 06-23-2009, 03:43 PM   #1
Trench
Guy with Monocle

Current Game: DX:HR, iKotOR
LF Jester 
Exclamation [Spoiler Warning]Revan's Mask

The origins of Revan's mask have finally been found!

Click here and all will be revealed.

What do you think about that?

Trench is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-23-2009, 03:50 PM   #2
Demongo
Afro Skeleton

Current Game: Street Fighter IV
I knew Revan had something to do with Mandalorians Very interesting, though he removed his mask, before the Mandos have been defeated. The colour of that mask isn't exactly black, so I guess Revan made some modifications to it

Bink's Sake

"I've barely eaten anything for many decades now. It feels like my stomach shriveled into my back........though i don't have a stomach or back because i'm a skeleton! Yohohohoho! SKULL JOKE!"

"My eyes have never seen such a pretty woman! But i'm a skeleton so my eyes don't see much."
Demongo is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-23-2009, 09:46 PM   #3
Shem
Master of the Force

Current Game: Variations of games
10 year veteran! Veteran Modder Notable contributor Hot Topic Starter 
That's gotta be one of the stupidest back stories ever.

Interested in hosting a your KOTOR or TSL mod at FileFront? Send your mod HERE and we'll validate it as soon as we can! FileFront is a good way to get publicity for your mod as we get 1000's of visitors everyday. Is my LucasForum PM box full again? If you really need to reach me, PM me at YouTube under the username: Shem L -- Watch my KOTOR videos! Download my mods from FileFront!

Shem is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-23-2009, 09:56 PM   #4
Darth Avlectus
Your point?

Current Game: Soul Calibur 5
Damn. I guess the sith empire copied it? Referencing of course the peek vid at TOR and all those marauders. Their masks looked a bit revan esque.

"I cant see S***! --YOU GO TO HELL!" --Tourettes guy
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-23-2009, 11:57 PM   #5
Emperor Devon
36 Wings, 365 Eyes

Current Game: Ass Effect
Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
it's stupid

seems to be a trend in that series of comics. there was also that revanchist crap that absolutely ridiculous last name for malak and now this ****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth
We will be great failures one day, you and I
Emperor Devon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-24-2009, 12:55 AM   #6
Trench
Guy with Monocle

LF Jester 
I bet Shem could have thought of a better one. Heck I could have thought of a better one. But it would be cool if someone made a female Mandalorian armor based off hers.

Old 06-24-2009, 09:00 AM   #7
Darth Hord
Rookie

I agree, I wished the mask had a more mysterious, origin. I had hoped that he found it on Mlachor or something of that type of nature, because to me it ruins part of Revan's mystique.
Darth Hord is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-24-2009, 09:11 AM   #8
Ultimate Vader
Rookie

^
Yep. What's the point of making Darth Revan if he's not mysterious at all. He's supposed to be mysterious, and that's why I and probably many people like it.

Rulk Badass 2
Most fun I've ever had with my clothes on!
Ultimate Vader is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-24-2009, 09:13 AM   #9
Trench
Guy with Monocle

LF Jester 
I still wouldn't mind seeing a mod that allows female players in K1/K2 to wear her armor.

Old 06-24-2009, 09:27 AM   #10
SW01
3 Years in the Lurk

Current Game: Real Life
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shem View Post
Agree with this.

The mask now being a symbol of compassion and sacrifice is a little - well, completely - opposite to Sith values, no?

Bah, no point in even putting down other things that seem odd about it - Shem said it all...

SW01 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-24-2009, 10:43 AM   #11
Wookiee Rrudolf
Rookie

Current Game: Two Worlds
Quote:
Originally Posted by SW01 View Post
The mask now being a symbol of compassion and sacrifice is a little - well, completely - opposite to Sith values, no?
But you have to remember that Revan was still a Jedi then. His fall was a bit later and it wasn't like "OK, so from tomorrow on I'll be the bad guy"
But still... they could have thought of something better (or nothing at all and let it stay a mystery).

"And then it was a ship full of slaver scum against one Wookiee...
...What chance did they have?"
- Tvrrdko about Chewbacca
Wookiee Rrudolf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-24-2009, 10:47 AM   #12
Trench
Guy with Monocle

LF Jester 
So I guess there are no takers on the mod? Fine, I'll do it myself...
That's the main reason I did this thread anyway.

Old 06-24-2009, 11:48 AM   #13
SW01
3 Years in the Lurk

Current Game: Real Life
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookiee Rrudolf View Post
But you have to remember that Revan was still a Jedi then. His fall was a bit later and it wasn't like "OK, so from tomorrow on I'll be the bad guy"
Certainly a fair point there - the thought I had on it was more about the continued use of it as the Sith Lord. If it had been, say, a version of the mask that was to do with the lightside robes you get that he had found it may have been more convincing - there would have been that element of the corruption of those values for which the Mando in question died, same as the corruption of the Jedi values leading to the Sith, in the darkening of the mask.

But that's probably a bit too complicated...

SW01 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-24-2009, 03:39 PM   #14
Zerimar Nyliram

Forum Veteran 
Meh. It's okay. I wouldn't call it stupid, but it's not exactly the cleverest idea, either. There was really no avoid making it of Mandalorian origin, or Mandalorian-inspired.

The only problem I have with it is that I always hated the idea that Revan wore the mask in his Jedi days. As such, I've never been a fan of mods that create "light side variations" of Revan's Sith robes and mask. To me, the suit and the mask were directly connected to his identity as the Dark Lord of the Sith.

In the flashback where he and Malak discover the star map on Dantooine, I had always interpreted Revan's appearance in that vision as a representation, because the player is not aware that he is Revan. I assumed that the Forced filled in what information was missing in his brain with what the amnesiac Revan knew to be "Darth Revan," whom he did not know what who he himself once was. When that event actually occurred, I had always assumed that Revan was not wearing his Sith armor or mask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a silly noob View Post
YOURS VERY SLOW ! PLS NEW PROGRESSS PLS NEW UPDATES PLS DARK FORCES FİNAL VERSİON İ CAN WAİTİNG KOTF PART 1 RELEASED 5 YEAR AND İTS 1 MAN ( OSMAN GUNYAZ DEVELOPERS ) BUT YOURS VERY PEOPLE İ CANT WAİTİNG 5 YEARS
Zerimar Nyliram is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-25-2009, 02:35 AM   #15
Darth Avlectus
Your point?

Doesn't even have that "stupid because it was rushed" feel. Just...un imaginative. Real truth is supposed to be stranger than fiction. But I guess it's the other way around. If *this* is any indication of what is coming...I am going to witness ultimate fail, for the second time, to a series beloved to me. I pray this is not so.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:56 PM   #16
Darth Hord
Rookie

I think it would have been cool if he somehow acquired a manadalorian mask and used sith alchemy on it.
Darth Hord is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-25-2009, 03:15 PM   #17
Zerimar Nyliram

Forum Veteran 
Are you sure you guys weren't just expecting too much? That tends to be the case a lot of the time, and it always tends to lead to disappointment. Personally, I never thought the story behind Revan's mask would have been anything unique. In fact, if it were up to me, I probably wouldn't have even touched upon the subject, or I wouldn't have played it up to be such a momentous event.

Also, I've always felt that Revan was a bit overrated. Malak, by contrast, is underrated. I always thought he was cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a silly noob View Post
YOURS VERY SLOW ! PLS NEW PROGRESSS PLS NEW UPDATES PLS DARK FORCES FİNAL VERSİON İ CAN WAİTİNG KOTF PART 1 RELEASED 5 YEAR AND İTS 1 MAN ( OSMAN GUNYAZ DEVELOPERS ) BUT YOURS VERY PEOPLE İ CANT WAİTİNG 5 YEARS
Zerimar Nyliram is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-25-2009, 03:31 PM   #18
Insignia_Enithma
Rookie

Current Game: TF2, KotOR
What if this wasn't the final mask he wore as a sith lord, what if after killing the mandalorians and winning the wore, he made his own version based off of her mask.
Insignia_Enithma is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-25-2009, 05:02 PM   #19
Mandalore The Shadow
The Writing Writer

Current Game: KotOR II
a bit dissapointing but i always guessed it was mandalorian it just makes me like Revan more

My Mods
“You needn't die happy when your time comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived
your life from the beginning to the end and ka is always served.”

― Stephen King, The Dark Tower
Mandalore The Shadow is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-26-2009, 05:04 AM   #20
Tobias Reiper
Spah creepin' around here

Current Game: Various Games.
LucasCast staff 
So that means that Revan is a crossdresser?
But honestly, I could tell it was from some Mandalorian, just a matter of who and why he had it and not them.
BTW, all those wear Revan's clothes mods are right now going into dissuse for me after that stupid backstory.
Tobias Reiper is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-02-2009, 11:56 AM   #21
mattig89ch

this doesn't really detract from Revans story. He still fought the Mandolorians, he still beat them, and he still had his mask.

*shrugs* idc about it one way or another.

Quote:
528) ... and you make her do it half naked, in undies only. o.O ... and you extend this to your female boss
583 - Your female boss agrees
530) Your boss thinks you nuts for trying to wield a lightsaber
mattig89ch is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-02-2009, 01:32 PM   #22
Fredi
El Guapo

Quote:
I'm 100% with you here. A pretty stupid back story.

"Evil is a word used by the ignorant and the weak. The dark side is about survival. It's about unleashing your inner power. It glorifies the strength of the individual."
Fredi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-03-2009, 07:20 AM   #23
Insignia_Enithma
Rookie

Current Game: TF2, KotOR
How is the back story stupid? What did you expect?
Insignia_Enithma is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-03-2009, 10:23 AM   #24
True_Avery
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insignia_Enithma View Post
How is the back story stupid? What did you expect?
I expect this comic series to shrivel up and die like it deserves.

But that is just me.
True_Avery is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-03-2009, 12:20 PM   #25
Gob
Rookie

So he's wearing a female's mask. Why is everyone so surprised? The guy wore a dress, too, but no one commented on that.

Gob is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-03-2009, 01:36 PM   #26
True_Avery
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gob View Post
So he's wearing a female's mask. Why is everyone so surprised? The guy wore a dress, too, but no one commented on that.
Out of curiosity, is Revan's gender specified in the comic? I stopped paying attention around the time the story took a huge leap off a cliff.
Old 07-03-2009, 03:51 PM   #27
Gob
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by True_Avery View Post
Out of curiosity, is Revan's gender specified in the comic? I stopped paying attention around the time the story took a huge leap off a cliff.
I haven't read it, but all other sources say that Revan was a lad.

Old 07-03-2009, 03:54 PM   #28
Trench
Guy with Monocle

LF Jester 
Canonically, Revan is male. But his "skirt" was actually more like an extra long Kama.

Old 07-04-2009, 12:23 AM   #29
True_Avery
Banned

"Canonically" is arguable, but true. They made Revan "male" because they could not put "it" into the Star Wars canon books. There had to be a gender for promotional reasons, and the gender was only specified when this issue came up.

From the little I know of the comics, Revan always has a hood on, has never been seen fully, and everyone seems to regard Revan in terms aiming around directly calling Revan a "he" or a "she".

This is from my limited knowledge however, and would like clarification on Revan's gender in this comic series. Not that it is really important, but the choosing of a female mask seems to just be another throw at ambiguity for this storyline.

Can't really cross-dress if you have no gender.
Old 07-04-2009, 12:27 AM   #30
Trench
Guy with Monocle

LF Jester 
Lets just say Revan was a Hermaphrodite. An unknown near-Human species that took on the characteristics of both male and females by dressing as both.

But he was canonized as male in a source outside of the KotOR comics and games.

Old 07-04-2009, 12:55 AM   #31
Gob
Rookie

Quote:
"Canonically" is arguable, but true. They made Revan "male" because they could not put "it" into the Star Wars canon books. There had to be a gender for promotional reasons, and the gender was only specified when this issue came up.

From the little I know of the comics, Revan always has a hood on, has never been seen fully, and everyone seems to regard Revan in terms aiming around directly calling Revan a "he" or a "she".

This is from my limited knowledge however, and would like clarification on Revan's gender in this comic series. Not that it is really important, but the choosing of a female mask seems to just be another throw at ambiguity for this storyline.

Well, to be fair, I was confused the first time I saw David Bowie, so I guess the whole Revan thing is kind of shaky too. They probably didn't give Revan a specific appearance because he's the only major character in Star Wars that was given the option of customization by the player. Maybe they cloaked him so people wouldn't feel unfamiliar and be like, "BUT I CHOSE THE 4TH BLACK HEAD! WHY IS REVAN ASIAN???"

Old 07-04-2009, 02:08 AM   #32
RedHawke
Shadow Lord Of The Sith™

Current Game: DDO, Stormreach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Te Mirdala Mand'alor View Post
Canonically, Revan is male. But his "skirt" was actually more like an extra long Kama.
FYI to all but here on planet Earth men can and do wear 'skirts'... and can look quite respectable doing so... Never piss off a Scot by calling his kilt a 'skirt' let me tell you.

"Beware the form-fitting black armor-clad Drow hottie with twin Mineral II Greensteel Khopeshes!"
"Liella d'Orien says, '"You're the fool, Devil. -- Witness the power of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Titan!"'"
----------------------------------------------------------------------
RedHawke is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-04-2009, 03:47 AM   #33
JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan
ANTA BAKAAA?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerimar
The only problem I have with it is that I always hated the idea that Revan wore the mask in his Jedi days. As such, I've never been a fan of mods that create "light side variations" of Revan's Sith robes and mask. To me, the suit and the mask were directly connected to his identity as the Dark Lord of the Sith.

In the flashback where he and Malak discover the star map on Dantooine, I had always interpreted Revan's appearance in that vision as a representation, because the player is not aware that he is Revan. I assumed that the Forced filled in what information was missing in his brain with what the amnesiac Revan knew to be "Darth Revan," whom he did not know what who he himself once was. When that event actually occurred, I had always assumed that Revan was not wearing his Sith armor or mask.
^exactly my opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insignia_Enithma
What if this wasn't the final mask he wore as a sith lord, what if after killing the mandalorians and winning the wore, he made his own version based off of her mask.
I'm hoping that this / something like this is/will be the case.
The alchemy idea is pretty cool.

mfw I read the Revan novel

it is not a cry of joy.
JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-06-2009, 06:06 AM   #34
jonathan7
Exiled Jedi...

Contest winner - Modding LFN Staff Member Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
What do you think about that?
The fact this is a PG-13 forum means I cannot say what I think about this.

Quote:
QFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Devon View Post
it's stupid

seems to be a trend in that series of comics. there was also that revanchist crap that absolutely ridiculous last name for malak and now this ****
Agreed.

"Love is the only reality and it is not a mere sentiment. It is the ultimate truth that lies at the heart of creation." - Rabindranath Tagore

"Many a doctrine is like a window pane. We see truth through it but it divides us from truth." - Kahlil Gibran
jonathan7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-06-2009, 10:30 AM   #35
TriggerGod

Helpful! 
Quote:
well, from the few comic pages I have seen, I don't think that Revan has the distinguishing marks of a she.

Seriously, I'm kinda glad that I don't read a lot of this comic series, what with Alek SquaisjeutHOesgkjn and the Revanchist and other stuff I can't think of right now.
TriggerGod is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-06-2009, 12:58 PM   #36
Trench
Guy with Monocle

LF Jester 
Now now children, play nice
Hmmm... So I'm guessing there are still no takers on that Mandalorian armor mod?

Old 07-06-2009, 04:59 PM   #37
Allronix
Forumite

I really like it.

1. It did seem that Revan's mask was based on Mandalorian style. This confirms it was.

I also figured Revan wore a mask or something like a half niqāb since obtaining Padawan rank, either as a holdover of the unknown culture s/he came from, and/or because Kreia always was one for encouraging her pupil to conceal as much as possible. This also helped immensely when <Fullname> came into play. Since no one had seen Revan's true face since at least the War, and maybe since his/her mid-teens, no one could ID the Endar Spire's new recruit as anything other than a soldier out of boot camp/hyperspace route scout/"reformed" smuggler.

2. It had a moment that showed that not all Mandalorians were total monsters. Warriors, yes, aggressors, yes. But some had more honor than to continue slaughtering unarmed people.

This also has another effect - when the Mandalorians look at that mask, they are looking into a mirror of sorts. One that will remind them they had the chance to put the brakes on, and failed to do so.

3. Revan's gender or lack therof has been bandied about before. Yes, canon said Revan is a man; canon also said Han shot second. As far as I'm concerned, by making Revan androgynous, Dark Horse is doing it right.

Allronix - KOTOR Filefront Supporter
http://knightsoftheoldrepublic.filefront.com/

Please bring your mods. They'll give them a good home!

Last edited by Allronix; 07-06-2009 at 05:15 PM.
Allronix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-07-2009, 02:59 AM   #38
Darth Avlectus
Your point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias Reiper View Post
So that means that Revan is a crossdresser?
But honestly, I could tell it was from some Mandalorian, just a matter of who and why he had it and not them.
BTW, all those wear Revan's clothes mods are right now going into dissuse for me after that stupid backstory.
Never really used them much anyway, myself. Yeah, the medieval based "T" design will always be mando in SW, ever since ESB. I thought the same thing: "Hmm, that's awful similar to a mando mask."

Now I guess my eye just senses the obvious due to experience. Still, I didn't get set on it b/c I wanted to keep an open mind about the origin.

Mask to me was unisex as were the robes.

Quote:
Yes, I believe they refer to the Revanchist (Pre-mask Revan) as "his, him, he" somewhere once, but it is minimal. Then again this might just be b/c of other canon sources and it may totally be ambiguous. I wish *now* I had payed a little more attention.

My memory serves as after reading the comic, asking myself: If the council referred to "him" as THE Revanchist, is that cloaked figure Revan? I could be mistaken, though.

Quote:

Agreed there on Ambiguity--especially now that I am caught off guard.

I recall the comic issue with cloaked figure referred to as "the Revanchist" as I said above. Made contact with the council. Was my only reason for chaecking through it. Vrook, Vandar, and the rest were the ones.

Again: I'm sure it's a he b/c I remember asking myself, "OK, we have the figure and the council referred to the figure as "him", so is that Revan?" This may be little more than hearsay, but I am pretty damn sure.

I can't remember completely right now though. Sorry.

You'd have to back order and/or see for yourself.
Otherwise I refer to "The Revanchist" here:
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Revan

Quote:
Now now children, play nice
Hmmm... So I'm guessing there are still no takers on that Mandalorian armor mod?
Knock yourself out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allronix View Post
I really like it.

1. It did seem that Revan's mask was based on Mandalorian style. This confirms it was.
Okay and that is another.

Quote:
I also figured Revan wore a mask or something like a half niqāb since obtaining Padawan rank, either as a holdover of the unknown culture s/he came from, and/or because Kreia always was one for encouraging her pupil to conceal as much as possible. This also helped immensely when <Fullname> came into play. Since no one had seen Revan's true face since at least the War, and maybe since his/her mid-teens, no one could ID the Endar Spire's new recruit as anything other than a soldier out of boot camp/hyperspace route scout/"reformed" smuggler.
Also part of why I believe the Revan's robes look the same regardless of gender when worn. Concealment.

Quote:
2. It had a moment that showed that not all Mandalorians were total monsters. Warriors, yes, aggressors, yes. But some had more honor than to continue slaughtering unarmed people.
Why have you not made a Mando Women mod for TSL yet? Besides I see Te Mirdala as a willing young'n, eager and willing to get modding EXP.

Just a thought.

Quote:
This also has another effect - when the Mandalorians look at that mask, they are looking into a mirror of sorts. One that will remind them they had the chance to put the brakes on, and failed to do so.

3. Revan's gender or lack therof has been bandied about before. Yes, canon said Revan is a man; canon also said Han shot second. As far as I'm concerned, by making Revan androgynous, Dark Horse is doing it right.
Mystique is often a good strategy for generating interest and sales. Even you would have to agree, I think? I'd say it partially accounts for the successes of whenever a SW title is released.

Last edited by Darth Avlectus; 07-07-2009 at 03:05 AM.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:21 AM   #39
Allronix
Forumite

First, I'd have to reinstall TSL. Second would be finding the disk. Third? Well, I don't have the hang of modeling. I'm figuring out scripting. Placables and new objects to add to a game? I can whip up those. Dialogue? Still my specialty. Modeling? Not so much.

Bro in law has been devouring the comics, and I read them when he's finished. Seeing how we both play LSF!Revan, we took an interest in how Dark Horse would handle it, and so far, they've done a marvelous job of skirting the issue. Perhaps the fact the mask came from a Mandalorian woman was meant to be a nod to us heretics.

Allronix - KOTOR Filefront Supporter
http://knightsoftheoldrepublic.filefront.com/

Please bring your mods. They'll give them a good home!
Allronix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-09-2009, 03:36 AM   #40
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Agreed, but we are discussing the EU, here, so it's hardly surprising. I've seen worse, unfortunately.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Game Discussion > Republic Newsfeed > [Spoiler Warning]Revan's Mask

Tags
mandalorian, mask, revan