lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Joining an MMO
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 05-25-2009, 08:23 AM   #1
Phantom Knight
BAANAAANAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!

Current Game: Mass Effect
Hot Topic Starter 
Joining an MMO

I'm strongly considering joining an MMO. Though I'm abit picky when it comes to game genres. I'm normally into Sci-Fi, Fantasy or even a blend of both. I hate High Fantasy, because I've never really been a big fan of the Medieval setting. Nothing addictive as WoW, because I atleast treasure my social life.

Can anybody recomend anything? Even the downloadable ones.
Phantom Knight is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-25-2009, 08:54 AM   #2
Alkonium
To Mend and Defend

Current Game: Guild Wars 2
Roleplayer Forum Veteran 
If you like Sci-fi and Fantasy, I'd recommend RF Online, a good blend of both. Or for just fantasy, The Chronicles of Spellborn.

Alkonium is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-25-2009, 09:46 AM   #3
Taak Farst
Eat The Rude

Alderaan News Holopics contributor Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Knight View Post
I'm strongly considering joining an MMO. Though I'm abit picky when it comes to game genres. I'm normally into Sci-Fi, Fantasy or even a blend of both. I hate High Fantasy, because I've never really been a big fan of the Medieval setting. Nothing addictive as WoW, because I atleast treasure my social life.

Can anybody recomend anything? Even the downloadable ones.
If you're into sci fi i would say..EVE online?

Taak Farst is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-25-2009, 09:52 AM   #4
mur'phon
Whale eating vegetarian

Forum Veteran 
Age of Conan is very nice for its combat system (unrivaled among MMO's IMHO) and friendliness towards both soloing and PvP. It should also have a free trial around now.
mur'phon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-25-2009, 11:11 AM   #5
swphreak
My cabbages!!!

10 year veteran! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran 
Dude, EVE Online is brutal.

You have to ask yourself, are you willing to spend 15 bucks a month to play? How casual or hardcore are you aiming for?

I can't comment on the casual part of EVE Online. I guess there are people who like living in high sec.

City of Heroes/Villains is a good casual game. It's also more fun with a small group. I haven't played it in ages, but I would if it was free to play.

Edit: Bringing up CoH/V makes me want to play again, but I refuse to p[ l ]ay more than one MMO.
swphreak is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-25-2009, 01:28 PM   #6
jawathehutt
Its 5 o'clock somewhere

Current Game: Age of Empires II
If you don't want to feel obligated to get your moneys worth each month, I would go with Guild Wars or find a private server, WoW has tons of them, I'm sure a few other MMOs do too. I've heard Eve is really good although I've been avoiding it since I don't want another repeat of what happened to me when I played WoW.

"Everyone that posts here is aware of the game, thanks though." ET
"It is Lucasarts"~ LordJhredmo
jawathehutt is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-25-2009, 04:02 PM   #7
Web Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawathehutt View Post
If you don't want to feel obligated to get your moneys worth each month, I would go with Guild Wars or find a private server, WoW has tons of them, I'm sure a few other MMOs do too. I've heard Eve is really good although I've been avoiding it since I don't want another repeat of what happened to me when I played WoW.
With the release of WOTLK, Blizz integrated some kind of tracking software that lets them know when you're connecting to a non-Blizz server. As such, there are no free WoW servers updated to the latest content, and most of the large ones have been shut down.

"So if you go to Washington, it's buildings clean and nice. Bring a pack of matches...and we'll burn the White House twice!"

"Nobody's talking about extermination. No one ever does. They just do it." - Magneto

"Don't solicit for your sister, that's not nice, unless you get a good percentage of her price."
Web Rider is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-25-2009, 08:54 PM   #8
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Guild Wars or Lord of the Rings Online. I enjoy both.

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-26-2009, 12:03 AM   #9
jawathehutt
Its 5 o'clock somewhere

Current Game: Age of Empires II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Web Rider View Post
With the release of WOTLK, Blizz integrated some kind of tracking software that lets them know when you're connecting to a non-Blizz server. As such, there are no free WoW servers updated to the latest content, and most of the large ones have been shut down.
WoWscape and WoWlegacy are both still up, I'm sure there are more and its not like the private servers were ever updated as frequently as the real servers, you get what you pay for.

"Everyone that posts here is aware of the game, thanks though." ET
"It is Lucasarts"~ LordJhredmo
jawathehutt is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-26-2009, 12:13 AM   #10
Jeff
Rating: Awesome

Current Game: SWTOR
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
Well, I know you said you don't want to do WoW, but it is by far the best MMO out there. If you want something free, I'd say Guild Wars. Only other MMO I've played is SWG and I would not recommend it.

Follow me on Twitter
Follow StarWarsMMO.net on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
Jeff is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-26-2009, 02:40 AM   #11
RedHawke
Shadow Lord Of The Sith™

Current Game: DDO, Stormreach
If you like a more FPS style of play then DDO is the one to get...

"Beware the form-fitting black armor-clad Drow hottie with twin Mineral II Greensteel Khopeshes!"
"Liella d'Orien says, '"You're the fool, Devil. -- Witness the power of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Titan!"'"
----------------------------------------------------------------------
RedHawke is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-26-2009, 02:56 AM   #12
Phantom Knight

Hot Topic Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarWarsPhreak View Post
Dude, EVE Online is brutal.
You have to ask yourself, are you willing to spend 15 bucks a month to play? How casual or hardcore are you aiming for?
Too be honest, I'm not a big fan of the concept of "Pay-to-Play" as well. Its not worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkonium
If you like Sci-fi and Fantasy, I'd recommend RF Online, a good blend of both. Or for just fantasy, The Chronicles of Spellborn.
I saw a the game box of RF Online at my nearest Game Traders shop. Does it need a monthly subscription?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawathehutt
I'm trying my very best to avoid WoW. I've heard that story about the Korean family and how they neglected their new-born baby from playing that game.

I am considering Guild Wars though....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHawke
If you like a more FPS style of play then DDO is the one to get...
o_0 Whats DDO?

I'm also considering those Downloadable MMO's from the internet. Like Flyff (my friend is a registered user) Anything grabbed anyones fancy?
Old 05-27-2009, 01:51 AM   #13
RedHawke
Shadow Lord Of The Sith™

Quote:
o_0 Whats DDO?
DDO.com

I haven't seen another MMO that uses a FPS type interface and combat (you can play the other way keyboard only but you sure can tell those players when they don't evade a fireball too well! lol), though I haven't looked too hard for another MMO that does the same thing combat-wise either.

"Beware the form-fitting black armor-clad Drow hottie with twin Mineral II Greensteel Khopeshes!"
"Liella d'Orien says, '"You're the fool, Devil. -- Witness the power of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Titan!"'"
Old 05-27-2009, 08:34 AM   #14
Alkonium
To Mend and Defend

Roleplayer Forum Veteran 
Quote:
I saw a the game box of RF Online at my nearest Game Traders shop. Does it need a monthly subscription?
No, though it does have an item mall. And since you can make an account for free, I recommend just downloading the client.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHawke View Post
DDO.com

I haven't seen another MMO that uses a FPS type interface and combat (you can play the other way keyboard only but you sure can tell those players when they don't evade a fireball too well! lol), though I haven't looked too hard for another MMO that does the same thing combat-wise either.
Actually, the Chronicles of Spellborn is built on the Unreal Engine, and also features FPS-style combat.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:43 PM   #15
TSR
Hoist the colours!

Current Game: Rift
Forum Veteran LF Jester Helpful! 
Runes of Magic is a great game. FTP as well.
http://www.runesofmagic.com/en/index.html

The ability to cross classes means for some very interesting pve and pvp, but is no way near as addicting as WoW.

I got this when I left WoW afew weeks back, and so far it has taken up a fraction of the time, but is still very fun to play.

British By Birth. English By The Grace Of God

Dulce et Decorum Est Pro Patria Mori
Let Mercy Come
TSR is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-27-2009, 07:47 PM   #16
JediAthos

Current Game: Defiance
Forum Veteran Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
I'm holding out for Jumpgate Evolution myself now that I've left WoW, but Jumpgate will be pay to play as well...I wish I could be more help but I don't have much experience with any of the free MMO's out there.

"You'll find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

JediAthos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-28-2009, 01:44 AM   #17
RedHawke
Shadow Lord Of The Sith™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkonium View Post
Actually, the Chronicles of Spellborn is built on the Unreal Engine, and also features FPS-style combat.
Didn't know that. Cool!

Either way though it doesn't have sexah black/white armor for my harem of Drow hotties!

Old 05-28-2009, 02:52 AM   #18
Phantom Knight

Hot Topic Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediAthos View Post
I'm holding out for Jumpgate Evolution myself now that I've left WoW, but Jumpgate will be pay to play as well...I wish I could be more help but I don't have much experience with any of the free MMO's out there.
Thats ok, I'm welcoming any suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSR
Runes of Magic is a great game. FTP as well.
http://www.runesofmagic.com/en/index.html...............

I got this when I left WoW afew weeks back, and so far it has taken up a fraction of the time, but is still very fun to play.
^ I'm considering it. Its seems very light on the High Fantasy genre, so its ok in my books.

I've downloaded the installer for Ether Saga - which is a free mmo. I havent played it yet, for two reasons:

- The installation process is slow, because its grabbing the files from the internet. It could be my slow internet connection setup

- I'm worried the 6 gig memory installation from the internet is gonna greatly effect my internet bill. I havent had much experience in the real world, but has this been proven?
Old 05-28-2009, 08:33 AM   #19
Alkonium
To Mend and Defend

Roleplayer Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHawke View Post
Didn't know that. Cool!

Either way though it doesn't have sexah black/white armor for my harem of Drow hotties!
Aside from the Drow part, it does.

Old 05-29-2009, 02:18 AM   #20
RedHawke
Shadow Lord Of The Sith™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkonium View Post
Aside from the Drow part, it does.
Damn! No Drow Hotties = Epic Fail!

Good to know though.

Old 05-29-2009, 04:38 AM   #21
Phantom Knight

Hot Topic Starter 
I've decided to join Flyff. Now all thats left is I have to download stupid DirectX STD, or whatwver u call it >: (
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > The Outlander Club > Joining an MMO