lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Kotor 3 - prequel to kotor 1?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 06-06-2009, 10:16 AM   #1
GreyJediMaster
Rookie

Current Game: kotor 2
Kotor 3 - prequel to kotor 1?

if our nerdy prayers are answered and they make a kotor 3, what are the odds of it beinga prequel? could we see how Kreia trained Revan, how the exile was trained and how their paths intertwined theough training and War, and what happened at malacor 5 ( howd you spell it?)

just dreaming here, but wouldnt it be awesome? all these backstories we hear about from the crewmembers of both games,(Carth,Atton,Baodur, Canderous/Mandalore,hk-47, lets see it!

any ideaS?
GreyJediMaster is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-06-2009, 10:29 AM   #2
jedi_christian
Rookie

sounds pretty cool - Why doesn't some mod team make such game ?
jedi_christian is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-06-2009, 10:37 AM   #3
Demongo
Afro Skeleton

Current Game: Street Fighter IV
I don't think that kotor 3(if they make it) will be like this. Making this as a mod.........it would be awesome but it would take years to complete it.

Bink's Sake

"I've barely eaten anything for many decades now. It feels like my stomach shriveled into my back........though i don't have a stomach or back because i'm a skeleton! Yohohohoho! SKULL JOKE!"

"My eyes have never seen such a pretty woman! But i'm a skeleton so my eyes don't see much."
Demongo is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-06-2009, 10:43 AM   #4
jedi_christian
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthDac View Post
I don't think that kotor 3(if they make it) will be like this. Making this as a mod.........it would be awesome but it would take years to complete it.
something for Silveredge9
Old 06-06-2009, 11:09 AM   #5
Jedi_Man
Forumite

Current Game: Too many to count
Too bad Silver is retired...

---------------------------------------------------
Deep thought #1: In the end, everyone dies. No one can outrun time, death itself is always breathing down your neck, just waiting to slip the noose over you. But, in your time of death, what matters is not when or how or even why. What matters is what you do with it. Do you sit down and call it quits, or do you get up, stare your killer and death itself in the face, and laugh copiously, right until the end.
Jedi_Man is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-06-2009, 01:01 PM   #6
Demongo
Afro Skeleton

Current Game: Street Fighter IV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi_Man View Post
Yeah there isn't too much modder who could do this..........

Bink's Sake

"I've barely eaten anything for many decades now. It feels like my stomach shriveled into my back........though i don't have a stomach or back because i'm a skeleton! Yohohohoho! SKULL JOKE!"

"My eyes have never seen such a pretty woman! But i'm a skeleton so my eyes don't see much."
Demongo is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-06-2009, 11:10 PM   #7
Ulmont

Current Game: Natural Selection 2
Veteran Fan Artist Veteran Modder Helpful! 
But what if everyone on Holowan teamed up in a grand effort of amazingness to make K3?

Ulmont is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-07-2009, 12:12 AM   #8
Darth Avlectus
Your point?

Current Game: Soul Calibur 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi_christian View Post
something for Silveredge9
QFT. I think Silver has already done a HUGE amount of work to this end...though it would take quite a bit more work...hmmm, I think I could picture Silver actually doing something like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi_Man View Post
Mmmm. We'll just see. Some people just can't keep away forever. May not be in the cards *right now* Still, I could see this happening. Some way or another.
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-07-2009, 12:39 AM   #9
Ulmont

Actually, the BOS series pretty much counts and K3 (in an expansion pack of epic proportions sort of way).

Old 06-07-2009, 01:34 AM   #10
Darth Avlectus
Your point?

Current Game: Soul Calibur 5
^^^A team player of Silver's.

No, actually chronologically it's more like...KOTOR 0.5... But that's just my view on it.

"I cant see S***! --YOU GO TO HELL!" --Tourettes guy
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-07-2009, 04:08 AM   #11
Blix
Veteran

Current Game: Morrowind & Dark Arisen
A prequel would probably be even better than another sequel, we know a lot about what happened before Revan lost his memory, and we know a lot about the Mandalorian wars I'd really like to see a game taking place somewhere around there. Of course the PC would have to be entirely different entity, like perhaps a precursor to Revan or maybe just another shadowy comrade like Exile.

Blix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-07-2009, 07:21 AM   #12
GreyJediMaster
Rookie

Cool Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blix View Post
A prequel would probably be even better than another sequel, we know a lot about what happened before Revan lost his memory, and we know a lot about the Mandalorian wars I'd really like to see a game taking place somewhere around there. Of course the PC would have to be entirely different entity, like perhaps a precursor to Revan or maybe just another shadowy comrade like Exile.

yeah, even though all the above is undeniably true, it seems lucasarts are moving on to different pastures. it'd awesome though, Revan mustve had other leiutenants, none as powerful as the exile, but still.
Old 06-07-2009, 07:32 AM   #13
jedi_christian
Rookie

Now I think about it; A Prequel really would be cool. If we team up and make it the biggest KoTOR mod production ever it would be great. Although I have a question; isn't it possible to upgrade the KoTOR/TSL-engine in terms op graphics ? Just like with the Source engine ?
Old 06-07-2009, 02:17 PM   #14
GreyJediMaster
Rookie

yeah man! it'd take years though, and money, and all that stuff. And Lucasarts would shut us down faster than you can say Genoharadan.

but it would be cool

as for the source engine thing, anything's possible.
Old 06-07-2009, 03:48 PM   #15
jedi_christian
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyJediMaster View Post
yeah man! it'd take years though, and money, and all that stuff. And Lucasarts would shut us down faster than you can say Genoharadan.

but it would be cool

as for the source engine thing, anything's possible.
Lucasarts supports KotOR / tSL modding
Old 06-07-2009, 04:19 PM   #16
GreyJediMaster
Rookie

really? thats awesaome,. lets do it man!

one tihng - i know jack about the technical stuff. we could all start wrinting a storyline though???
Old 06-07-2009, 04:34 PM   #17
RedHawke
Shadow Lord Of The Sith™

Current Game: DDO, Stormreach
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi_christian View Post
Lucasarts supports KotOR / tSL modding
Tolerating yes, supporting no.

"Beware the form-fitting black armor-clad Drow hottie with twin Mineral II Greensteel Khopeshes!"
"Liella d'Orien says, '"You're the fool, Devil. -- Witness the power of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Titan!"'"
----------------------------------------------------------------------
RedHawke is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-07-2009, 05:40 PM   #18
HK-42
HK47+Marvin=

Current Game: AssassinsCreed,kotor
Hot Topic Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHawke View Post
Tolerating yes, supporting no.
QFT

As for the upgrading the engine to make it more graphical, no. Not unless you have licence for the engine(Lucasarts might sell you one for a few million), tons of money to buy the hardware required, vast computer skills, and tons of free time.

As for a prequel mod:

This is possible, but would be a ton of work. Even Silveredge9 had a bunch of help.

You would probably need a team consisting of a few modeler(Quanon in my opinion is the best in the holowan), many scripter, many skinner, many editors, some voiceactors, storyline writers, dialog writers, and more.

And a **** load of time. You cant just say, lets make this mod, it takes skill and lots of time learning the tools and the game. Better to start off small, to medium, then something large.

HK-42 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-07-2009, 05:43 PM   #19
Blix
Veteran

Current Game: Morrowind & Dark Arisen
That would be a huge mod if it ever happens...

Blix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-07-2009, 06:32 PM   #20
Ulmont

No kidding. BOSSR was 600mb +. A new game would be what... 2 gigs? Where would you host it?

Old 06-07-2009, 06:37 PM   #21
logan23
Veteran

Current Game: Revenge of Revan
Veteran Modder Forum Veteran Contest winner - Modding Hot Topic Starter 
Hey,
The idea of a mod during the mando wars would be best handled as flash backs simular to BOS.
My idea to make this possible is to have the PC meet a person from the war then his/her dlg will activate the flash back. This will allow to build each flash back seperate. The results of the quest could lead to certain rewards, gear, etc.
food for thought

Logan

logan23 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-07-2009, 06:52 PM   #22
Ulmont

Thats actually a really good idea. Or maby expand the Korriban Tomb (the one in the Shyrak cave where it makes you revisit your old memories).

Old 06-08-2009, 04:20 PM   #23
GreyJediMaster
Rookie

all great ideas and good points, but would we be able to make those movie cutscene thingys? y'know, like the ebon hawk fly-by in kotor one?

Music would be from the other two games, but there'd need to be a decent script writer, no rubbishy cliches, not after the genius of the script in the Sith Lords. Same goes for voice actors.

are there, like, official scrpitors for gaming storylines?
Old 06-08-2009, 05:03 PM   #24
logan23
Veteran

Hey

Quote:
all great ideas and good points, but would we be able to make those movie cutscene thingys? y'know, like the ebon hawk fly-by in kotor one?

Music would be from the other two games, but there'd need to be a decent script writer, no rubbishy cliches, not after the genius of the script in the Sith Lords. Same goes for voice actors.

are there, like, official scrpitors for gaming storylines?
Yes, cut movies of the ebon hawk or other 3D models can be made but takes time and need a person to do them.

I believe you can only use the music from the game which is being modded- meaning if your using kotor2 as your base then you can not bring in kotor1 music unless its its already in the game files or you have some one create a copy by making the music from scratch.

As for a script writer- there are some here in the community that are good at dialogues and others who can create great plots.

As for producing a mod that equals the original game that's not going to happen, come close yes if the mod is small enough.

I would say build small.

You can have a character who you meet on a planet and that person can then talk to you about the Mando War. Then have a quest/flash back where you play as the Exile or even the character your talk to as he tells you his/her side of the War.

I would build one flash back at a time. Release each separate. Have a reward for completing the quest/flash back- it could be information, movie, cut scene or location of items. You can have a 3 module flash back start there, later you can make large ones.

This all depends on your vision of this mod.
And always remember team leader does about 90 percent of the work- which means learning to mod.

Logan

Old 06-09-2009, 09:21 PM   #25
Darca Lar
Forumite

Current Game: Dragon Age Origins
A prequel seems unnecessary since the KotOR comics pretty much cover that area already. I think it should be a sequel on the return of the order.

Yesterday is history. Tomorrow, a mystery. Today is a gift...that is why it is called the present.
Darca Lar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-11-2009, 04:51 PM   #26
Xaris Vynn
Rookie

KOTOR III should take place after TSL. It should definetly tie in explaination for kreia and things like that but it is essential to finish telling the story of Revan and not leave it hanging in the breeze. If they make it.
Xaris Vynn is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-11-2009, 09:57 PM   #27
ironheart
Rookie

As an actual game, I don't know about a prequel. If you played as Revan, it'd be hard to make it work on an rpg front. We already know what's going to happen. I'd rather have something that was like... a KOTOR 2 replacement. Find out where Revan went and all.

It'd be a really cool mod though.
ironheart is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-12-2009, 01:37 AM   #28
Zerimar Nyliram

Forum Veteran 
I'm game, as long as it doesn't conflict with the comics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a silly noob View Post
YOURS VERY SLOW ! PLS NEW PROGRESSS PLS NEW UPDATES PLS DARK FORCES FİNAL VERSİON İ CAN WAİTİNG KOTF PART 1 RELEASED 5 YEAR AND İTS 1 MAN ( OSMAN GUNYAZ DEVELOPERS ) BUT YOURS VERY PEOPLE İ CANT WAİTİNG 5 YEARS
Zerimar Nyliram is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-12-2009, 08:54 PM   #29
Trench
Guy with Monocle

Current Game: DX:HR, iKotOR
LF Jester 
I am liking the idea behind this thread. It would be interesting for the community to fulfill its own wish for a KotOR 3. It would be cool if it were a sequel to TSL, with certain places where you can have visions of what happen pre-KotOR. I certainly would be willing to offer assistance whenever I could.

Last edited by Trench; 06-13-2009 at 03:09 AM.
Trench is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-13-2009, 12:13 PM   #30
Istorian

Helpful! 
Of course we all like the idea to make a prequel mod to Kotor, but for this to be done, every single modder of Holowan Labs should abandon their WIP's and co-operate.

If many people really like this idea and have the guts to work on it, then probably we would have a great team of modders...Silver or Quanon could come back from retirement only for this mod.

But I think I shouldn't talk big before many supporters gather...

Last edited by Istorian; 06-13-2009 at 12:19 PM.
Istorian is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-14-2009, 02:26 PM   #31
logan23
Veteran

Hey,

The idea of a kotor prequel sounds like an interesting idea but i would not expect experienced modders to build it but just to give advice and tips for those who wish for this project to become reality.

Many of you who are reading this can become great modders. It only takes time and patience to understand the language of the game. You can build this project but i would start small.

You first have to research your ideas and what is the purpose of the story.
What is the mood, is it straight in the middle of the mando wars or before the events.
What planets?
What is the end goal of the experience? What do you want the player to walk away with or why would the player want to play this?

These questions can help you refine your plot as you brain storm ideas for this prequel.

I would stay away from the PC as Revan since there are to many restrictions which will keep you from developing a story on a large scale.

If you do decide to build a kotor prequel that's large in scope then be prepared to spend a year to 2 years working on it.

This can all be done by the next generation of kotor modders and only depends on the experienced modder to advice you not build it.

There is something special in creating a mod, allow your self to experience it and others to play your mod. Its a great feeling.

Logan

Old 06-14-2009, 03:48 PM   #32
Istorian

Helpful! 
I agree. That project could be done by the next generation of modders, as Logan said, and it could be a huge total conversion/storyline mod. If someone believes he has what it takes, he can start a thread at Holowan Labs and set up a team.

But, as I said, I agree with Logan. It would be very time-consuming and every modder should start small...

Istorian is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-10-2009, 08:24 AM   #33
Darth Darkus
Rookie

Current Game: none
so did anyone start anything about this yet? My idea: player should be Sion who was light side during the MW (correct me if I'm wrong) 'cause we don't know too much about him and I find him an interesting character, story should begin short before the outbreak of the MW and end with the betrayal of Malak... my two cents! If anyone is still interested in starting a mod like this I would be happy to join you as far as skinning goes... also I could provide you with sound fx, voice fx etc. since me and our bassist have been working with music programs for quite some years
Darth Darkus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-10-2009, 08:54 AM   #34
VarsityPuppet
Master of Puppets

Current Game: Chrono Trigger
Contest winner - Modding Forum Veteran Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Interesting idea, but I think K3 would have to finish the story that was started: What happened to Revan? What'll happen with the True Sith?

But yes, Sion's mysterious past interests me as well. I think it's worth at least a small expansion mod.

VarsityPuppet is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-10-2009, 10:21 AM   #35
Darth Darkus
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by VarsityPuppet View Post
Interesting idea, but I think K3 would have to finish the story that was started: What happened to Revan? What'll happen with the True Sith?

But yes, Sion's mysterious past interests me as well. I think it's worth at least a small expansion mod.
I already mentioned this in another thread... Revan went to the unknown regions and since they're unknown this would be even more difficult (if not impossible) to make... shure I would like to learn about Revan's fate and the true Sith but I don't think you can make this out of KotoR or TSL...
Old 09-10-2009, 01:20 PM   #36
Giant Graffiti
Custom User Title

^^^

Why would it be difficult to create something which is unknown? You just have to make something up.
Giant Graffiti is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-10-2009, 01:31 PM   #37
VarsityPuppet
Master of Puppets

Current Game: Chrono Trigger
Contest winner - Modding Forum Veteran Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gιygαs View Post
^^^

Why would it be difficult to create something which is unknown? You just have to make something up.
I think what he meant is that there's nothing to build off of really. You'd have to tap into your creative potential to make up everything: planets, quests, storyline, characters, etc.

I mean, there's some stuff you could build off of (whatever's leftover of the once in production k3), but the majority of the project would be coming up with new stuff.

Not saying that's hard for all of us, but for some people it can be quite a challenge to think up enough unique and new material to create up a new game.

VarsityPuppet is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-11-2009, 03:01 AM   #38
Darth Darkus
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by VarsityPuppet View Post
I think what he meant is that there's nothing to build off of really. You'd have to tap into your creative potential to make up everything: planets, quests, storyline, characters, etc.

I mean, there's some stuff you could build off of (whatever's leftover of the once in production k3), but the majority of the project would be coming up with new stuff.

Not saying that's hard for all of us, but for some people it can be quite a challenge to think up enough unique and new material to create up a new game.
that was exactly what I meant! Being creative and make up new worlds and enemies isn't that complicated but it would become a whole new game if you would start writing it...
Old 09-11-2009, 04:23 PM   #39
cogadh
Lurker

Coming up with the ideas may not be difficult, but actually implementing them is and requires an enormous amount of skill and talent. There is a serious question as to whether that much skill and talent is available in the KotOR modding community at this point.
cogadh is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-11-2009, 04:42 PM   #40
Darth InSidious
A handful of dust.

Current Game: KotOR II
Coming up with ideas is never the problem. Coming up with good ideas - there's the rub. Then there's assembling or acquiring the skills required and actually knuckling down to the grind of the thing.

On the topic of the OP's post, the chances of a KotoR 3 are nil, so the chances of it being a prequel, by default, are also nil.

Works-In-Progress
~
Mods Released
~
Quid existis in desertum videre?
Darth InSidious is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Game Discussion > The Unknown Regions > Kotor 3 - prequel to kotor 1?