lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Kotor 3 - prequel to kotor 1?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 09-11-2009, 04:42 PM   #41
VarsityPuppet
Master of Puppets

Current Game: Chrono Trigger
Contest winner - Modding Forum Veteran Veteran Modder Helpful! 
I don't think it's a question of skill and talent. Well, I mean Holowan Labs isn't swarming with outstanding talent, but that's hardly what's holding us back, IMO.

I see it more as a question of focus and determination. I'm not sure many people on here would be able to stick to such a project for such a long time. 2 years Logan said? That's a long time to be working on one project. Imagine the tedium...

Not to mention it's kind of hard to organize/maintain teams over the internet. Certainly possible, but difficult.

VarsityPuppet is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-11-2009, 04:52 PM   #42
Darth InSidious
A handful of dust.

Current Game: KotOR II
Quote:
Originally Posted by VarsityPuppet View Post
I don't think it's a question of skill and talent. Well, I mean Holowan Labs isn't swarming with outstanding talent, but that's hardly what's holding us back, IMO.
No, it's certainly not stopping things from being made. It doesn't help outstanding things to be made, though...

Quote:
I see it more as a question of focus and determination.
Certainly, the stamina required is fairly high, especially given the amount of very dull, fiddly work that large-scale modding often involves. The number of .git co-ordinates I've plugged...

And that's before we get into fun things like when the orientation/bearing is wrong, or you miscalculate the amount of space required for a placeable...

Quote:
I'm not sure many people on here would be able to stick to such a project for such a long time. 2 years Logan said? That's a long time to be working on one project. Imagine the tedium...
I'd say two years for something the size of a total conversion is ambitious, TBH, and you're right that very few can or will stick it - in many ways Holowan is a graveyard of overstretched ambitions. There are dozens of threads promising as much or more than logan or DV and with far less to show for it which disappeared usually within a month.

Quote:
Not to mention it's kind of hard to organize/maintain teams over the internet. Certainly possible, but difficult.
Possible, yes, but in the way that going to Mars is possible. Or Alpha Centauri...

Works-In-Progress
~
Mods Released
~
Quid existis in desertum videre?
Darth InSidious is online now   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-11-2009, 05:26 PM   #43
VarsityPuppet
Master of Puppets

Current Game: Chrono Trigger
Contest winner - Modding Forum Veteran Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth InSidious View Post
There are dozens of threads promising as much or more than logan or DV and with far less to show for it which disappeared usually within a month.
Tell me about it! I can't tell you how many failed conversion or partial conversion threads I've seen within the 4 months I've been here so far....

...about 5, I think.

Quote:
Certainly, the stamina required is fairly high, especially given the amount of very dull, fiddly work that large-scale modding often involves. The number of .git co-ordinates I've plugged...

And that's before we get into fun things like when the orientation/bearing is wrong, or you miscalculate the amount of space required for a placeable...
I think you've just described one of the circles of Modder's Hell

VarsityPuppet is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-11-2009, 08:43 PM   #44
ForeverNight
nrgurt researcher

Current Game: q2
I've done some module work -nothing so fancy as a reskin or new model- and damn, I gave up after creating 2 and a half...

It would be very tedious to do, but amazing if a good team could be thrown together...

ForeverNight is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-16-2009, 05:19 AM   #45
Darth Ken0bi
Rookie

Current Game: You.
IF there is a KOTOR 3 and its set after K2 then it should be about Revan and the Exile's journy into the Unknown Regions, did the Exile find Revan, did they succeed or fail against the True Sith Empire?, maybe its because of them it took a extra 300 years for them to invade Republic Space. All of these could be answered in a K3.

Thanks to Darth Betrayal for the signature
SWG Ingame Nicks:
'Sokar'|Bria|LvL 90

Xbox Live Nick: Ag3nt D4rk
Darth Ken0bi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-16-2009, 09:35 AM   #46
CrisG
Aging Jedi

The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
it might not even be possible to use the name at all, due to copyright sadly. Miracles can happen tho re a possible such project. Miracles do sometimes happen.

There is no Chaos, There is Harmony.
----------------------------------------------------
Admin 3D Worlds and Game Developers Group - Linkedin - "We Build Worlds"
DF-JK DF2-DFMOTS-JKII-JKIII-KoTOR I-KoTOR II - XW-TF-XvT-BOP -XWA-Rogue Squad - Starfigher-Racer- RC-Battle for Naboo-Episode I Phantom Menace-Shadows of the Empire-BF I - BF II-EAW-EAW:FOC-Loom-Grim F-MI-MII-MIII-DOTT-IJFOA-IJLC-IJET-IJIM-Dig-Sam and Max HTR
CrisG is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-17-2009, 09:49 AM   #47
Scatter
Rookie

have to admit, i'd be really disappointed if a new kotor was announced only to find it's a prequel to the first one.

the story needs resolution, not further setup.
Scatter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-05-2009, 10:12 PM   #48
Te Darasuum Mandalor
Forumite

Current Game: POTC: New Horizons
Cool idea and all, but if I saw a Kotor 3, I would want it to actually explain what happens to Revan in the unknown regions and try to find a trace of him. I think if they should make a prequal, it should be a seperate game or even a campaign in the next installment of battlefront.
Te Darasuum Mandalor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-10-2009, 09:29 AM   #49
disbeliever

Helpful! 
I can picture nothing more disapointing than if a community mod actually came to be, and 6 months into working on it an announcement was made that a real KOTOR3 was coming out.
disbeliever is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Game Discussion > The Unknown Regions > Kotor 3 - prequel to kotor 1?