lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: U.S. Forces pull out of Iraqi cities
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 06-30-2009, 10:28 PM   #1
JediAthos

Current Game: Defiance
Forum Veteran Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
U.S. Forces pull out of Iraqi cities

As part of the security pact signed between the U.S. and the new Iraqi government U.S. troops left Iraq's major cities over the last 24 hours and turned security in those cities over to Iraq's new army and police forces. U.S. troops have pulled back to bases outside of the cities stating they will only return if asked by the Iraqis.

This seems like a good thing to me, and an important step in giving Iraq back to its people. Do you think it will hold up? or will U.S. troops have to reoccupy the cities some time in the future?

"You'll find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

JediAthos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-30-2009, 10:34 PM   #2
MacTavish

I think they will hold up, I think withdrawing from the cities is a good step towards finally pulling all U.S. soldiers from Iraq, although it may still take alot more time.

MacTavish is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-30-2009, 10:49 PM   #3
Web Rider

Now lets see if the Iraqi's can keep their country stable.

"So if you go to Washington, it's buildings clean and nice. Bring a pack of matches...and we'll burn the White House twice!"

"Nobody's talking about extermination. No one ever does. They just do it." - Magneto

"Don't solicit for your sister, that's not nice, unless you get a good percentage of her price."
Web Rider is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-01-2009, 06:13 AM   #4
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
US forces are pulling out of the cities, not necessarily the country. IIRC the talk has become w/drawl of "combat forces" not complete w/drawl from Iraq. Important piece of parsing. From what I've heard said since the election, it may look more like our situation w/the Saudis or S Koreans. A "tripwire" sized force will stay in country, but away from the everday view of the general public. Should Iraq become destabilized to the point of being "lost", it'll be on BO's watch. Don't think he wants to be saddled w/that millstone, especially if it happens before 2012. He's got enough domestic problems.

Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.---Teddy Roosevelt

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception.---Groucho

And if you all get killed, I'll piss on your graves.---Shaman Urdnot

How would you like to own a little bit of my foot in your ass.---Red Foreman
Totenkopf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-01-2009, 10:10 AM   #5
JediAthos

Current Game: Defiance
Forum Veteran Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Yes, this is just the first step. According to the terms of the security pact, U.S. forces will be out of Iraq by the end of 2011.

"You'll find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

JediAthos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-01-2009, 06:00 PM   #6
True_Avery
Banned

Well, lets see if a country that has been unstable since the beginning of man can finally find some stability.

I'm going to put my money on... no. I'll go ahead and put my money on "No" for the rest of the middle east as well.

At till the older generations die off, as it seems the younger generations in the area are a little more reasonable.
True_Avery is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-01-2009, 06:13 PM   #7
urluckyday
Up all night to get lucky

Current Game: Red Orchestra 2
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
First step in a long process...good start though. I've always supported the war, but I'm glad to see them pulling out so that we can begin to see what the end result turns up as.

If I die today, I'm happy how my life turned out
urluckyday is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-03-2009, 01:36 AM   #8
Lord of Hunger
Hunger, The Lord Of

Current Game: Shogun 2: Total War
I'm sort of on the same page as you urluckyday. I was in favor of removing Saddam's regime (not because of the supposed nukes but because of the insane human rights abuse there), but unfortunately we allowed the situation there to deteriorate so badly and frankly we should have probably secured Afghanistan before assaulting Iraq so we wouldn't be fighting on two fronts. However it looks like appointing Gates and having the troop surge did the trick.

I am glad that President Obama did not order an instantaneous troop withdrawal. Obviously he has seen the importance of having a stable, functional US ally in the middle of the region. Sure, we might not be on the best of terms at the moment but in the long run I think the Iraqi people will forget the foolish mistakes we made and remember us for the freedom we have helped them to find.

As of 3/14/10, TSL is restored. The Sith Lords Restored Content Modification by Stoney and Zbyl has been finished and can be downloaded here.

Lord of Hunger is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Kavar's Corner > U.S. Forces pull out of Iraqi cities