lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Children of gay couples speak out
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 06-30-2009, 10:20 AM   #41
Insignia_Enithma
Rookie

Current Game: TF2, KotOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by True_Avery View Post
Yeah, I know where you're coming from on that (nowhere near to your degree, but I understand). I was very fragile in kindergarten and elementary school so I basically became my classes' punching bag in every class I was in. I'd either get incredibly angry, or run out of class and hide somewhere on school grounds until school was over. If this was outside of class, it would escalate into a fight. Mother almost pulled me out of school because it was making me an emotional sideshow. Middle school almost got me sent to, and I'm not joking, a nearby school for the delinquent/emotionally unstable children since I could no longer function around other people. Thankfully that didn't happen, but I did get relegated to a counseling classroom separate from the main school. After 4 years of counseling I got over a lot of it, but it left me with a fear of commitment, a hermit attitude, and a very cynical outlook on life. Hopefully you can come out of it better than I did.

Glad to be of service then. If you want to continue talking at all, my profile/PM box is always open. I fear I might be taking things off-topic.
Well those six months out of school have done me good I actually really beefed up to muscle wise, and so now anyone who has picked a fight thinks twice.

Yeh I fear we have taken this off topic... what was it we where talking about again?

Soemthing about same-sex couples and children right?
Insignia_Enithma is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-30-2009, 05:42 PM   #42
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Let me be clear on this--at NO time should someone resort to violence because of gender issues, race, etc.--that's just nuts, and I'm sorry for anyone who's had to go through horrible things because of it.

It is extremely difficult to come out of the closet, and it takes a lot of courage for that. Heck, it's difficult to live in the closet for that matter. I'm not trying to make your life harder if you're gay by asking tough questions about parenting norms. I'm just trying to sort through it all for my own purposes, too. I was raised in a different generation than most of you. My parents' generation was not pro-gay at all. It was considered a disease or aberrant lifestyle in their time. My generation is the first one dealing wth the quandary of whether it should be even considered a normal alternative or not, and I have seen a lot of studies pro and con. Understand that you are asking me to alter thinking on years of upbringing and a very strong religious conviction for a lifestyle that has not been considered a normal alternative except in the last 15 or 20 years or so. I'm honest enough to say I may not be able to fully make the leap that many of the rest of you have on accepting homosexuality itself as something considered normal, especially when it comes to raising kids. That does not mean I consider hating someone for being gay accaptable. I do not. I love my gay family members and friends as much as my straight ones. I will never condone abuse of someone for any reason. If you consider that a fault on my part, I hope you can be forgiving of my failure.

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-30-2009, 07:06 PM   #43
jrrtoken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Onasi View Post
I would like to ask if you have definitive data on that. If this is opinion, that's fine.
Gladly.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/...in539283.shtml
http://www.heritage.org/Research/Family/BG1373.cfm
Quote:
All of this is opinion.
It is, but so is the notion that kids would be worse off in a same-sex parented household than a opposite-sex one.
jrrtoken is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-30-2009, 08:32 PM   #44
Allronix
Forumite

The ideal environment is two (or more) loving, stable, responsible ADULTS, as far as I'm concerned. Oh, and when I say the "or more," I mean anything from godparents and grandparents to a stable polyamorus arrangement - though the latter is gonna take some explaining as the tyke grows up.

You can be gay, partnered and have your act together, or you could be giving the two bimbos from Absolutely Fabulous a run for their money.

You could be heterosexual, married, two jobs, a full fridge, leave no bruises, but destroy a kid with your words. You could also be Ward and June Cleaver reincarnate.

But if the kids' physical needs are met and has people who watch out for them, teach them right and wrong, and can take care of themselves as well as the kids? Gender doesn't much matter. the only time it might is if you're a single mom or a lesbian couple with a son or a single dad or gay men with a daughter - the kid could use role models of the same gender, but that's where uncles, aunts, and family friends are a blessing.

Children can be cruel, yes. They'll find any damn reason to be. Your average K-12 school is crawling with vicious little sociopaths that could give the Korrban academy stellar recruits. No matter what you do, no matter how much you try, you aren't going to win with those monsters, so factoring them into the decision is a non-issue.

Allronix - KOTOR Filefront Supporter
http://knightsoftheoldrepublic.filefront.com/

Please bring your mods. They'll give them a good home!
Allronix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Kavar's Corner > Children of gay couples speak out