lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Live Action Star Wars TV Show?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 07-02-2009, 10:02 PM   #1
Fredi
El Guapo

Live Action Star Wars TV Show?

Well I have been waiting and waiting since I heard that George Lucas was going to make a live action tv show about SW, Can some one give me info? cause since then I have not heard nothing about it, only that George was starting to look for actors and casting for the tv show.

"Evil is a word used by the ignorant and the weak. The dark side is about survival. It's about unleashing your inner power. It glorifies the strength of the individual."
Fredi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-02-2009, 10:15 PM   #2
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Even if it is eventually produced, I wouldn't place too much hope in its being any good.

Not a guarantee that it's going to suck, but, given the course of events over the past ten years...

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-02-2009, 10:37 PM   #3
Gob
Rookie

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wa...tion_TV_series

The space between Episode 3 and 4 is pretty neutral, so it probably can't be that bad. They haven't tried to make anything out of the original trilogy, so I'd give it about a 50/50 chance of being good.

Gob is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-03-2009, 01:01 PM   #4
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Not having Jedi is a big plus, IMO.

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-03-2009, 01:29 PM   #5
True_Avery
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime View Post
Not having Jedi is a big plus, IMO.
Agreed. Star Wars needs more focus on everyone else. Far too one-sided.
True_Avery is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-03-2009, 01:30 PM   #6
Trench
Guy with Monocle

Current Game: DX:HR, iKotOR
LF Jester 
They should make a Republic Commando TV-series.

Trench is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-03-2009, 03:01 PM   #7
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

Forum Veteran The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
I wouldn't say not having Jedi would make it better, but it will help the production team delve a little deeper into the continuity, and hopefully pull away from the recent samey Clone Wars/Jedi centric palette. I've been praying for some Original trilogy Love for a very long time now, eg: I was hoping TUF was gonna balance out the continuity, yet it went even more over the top... Lets see if the TV show will do it.

adamqd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-03-2009, 05:51 PM   #8
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire 
Yeah, I'm hoping the series will lean more to the original trilogy than the prequels and Clone Wars. Keeping out the Jedi would certainly help, the focus on the Jedi in the PT and CW were a bit too much. On the other hand, Jedi have always been a part of what makes Star Wars different from anything else, but luckily, Star Wars has much more elements that make it distinguishable than only Jedi.

PSN id: BE_Miltiades

Miltiades is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-03-2009, 06:08 PM   #9
Trench
Guy with Monocle

Current Game: DX:HR, iKotOR
LF Jester 
It would be cool to have something about the Clone Troopers transition to Stormtroopers, with an occasional appearance by K'Kruhk.

Trench is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-03-2009, 06:23 PM   #10
Chevron 7 locke
Peace and Sanity

Current Game: The Old Republic
Roleplayer Forum Veteran 
I think that having no jedi appearing will give the audience a new perspective on how life in the Star Wars universe works. For most of the films we've seen mostly Jedi so I'm really looking forward to this.

I'm still hoping that Asajj Ventress makes an apperance though, even if it's a minor one.
Chevron 7 locke is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-03-2009, 08:26 PM   #11
Darth Avlectus
If Sunday you're free...

Current Game: Poisoning pigeons in the park.
Yeah, I mean what about the histories of Han Solo, Kyle Katarn, and Dash Rendar? Other folks like that? I have enjoyed stuff like Jedi Outcast, but I will always view the Ord Mantell Junkyard level on Shadows of the Empire as bomb ass.
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-03-2009, 08:47 PM   #12
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
It might be interesting to put less emphasis on jedi/sith and on other charachters. But w/o either it really could then be any scifi show. I suppose of they were reduced to secondary or tertiary status, that'd be quite fine. As long as the stories are good, that's all that would really count.

Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.---Teddy Roosevelt

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception.---Groucho

And if you all get killed, I'll piss on your graves.---Shaman Urdnot

How would you like to own a little bit of my foot in your ass.---Red Foreman
Totenkopf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-04-2009, 09:49 AM   #13
Mandalore The Shadow
The Writing Writer

Current Game: KotOR II
something includint the mandalorians would be nice as well

My Mods
“You needn't die happy when your time comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived
your life from the beginning to the end and ka is always served.”

― Stephen King, The Dark Tower
Mandalore The Shadow is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-04-2009, 01:19 PM   #14
Fredi
El Guapo

I would like to see more scoundrels and bounty hunters, and as well some action like a battle or something like that.

"Evil is a word used by the ignorant and the weak. The dark side is about survival. It's about unleashing your inner power. It glorifies the strength of the individual."
Fredi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-04-2009, 03:09 PM   #15
True_Avery
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totenkopf View Post
It might be interesting to put less emphasis on jedi/sith and on other charachters. But w/o either it really could then be any scifi show. I suppose of they were reduced to secondary or tertiary status, that'd be quite fine. As long as the stories are good, that's all that would really count.
Yeah, without recognizable characters there could be a fair disconnect from Star Wars.

I am assuming that "no jedi" simply means that none of the main characters are Jedi, but we'll most likely see some force users now and then.

The Clone Wars TV show has episodes now and then that focus entirely on the clones, and they are actually decent episodes so I could see a series living off of that.
True_Avery is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-05-2009, 12:50 AM   #16
Darth_Yuthura
Banned

Current Game: KOTOR III
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Padawan View Post
I would like to see more scoundrels and bounty hunters, and as well some action like a battle or something like that.
Agreed. Star Wars has been all about huge fleets and armies organized by admirals and generals directing forces with finely ingrained military tactics. The wars we have been fighting have been more difficult than we ever expected because we envisioned our opposition using the same tactics of the Soviet Union.
Darth_Yuthura is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-05-2009, 09:57 AM   #17
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by True_Avery View Post
Yeah, without recognizable characters there could be a fair disconnect from Star Wars.
I am assuming that "no jedi" simply means that none of the main characters are Jedi, but we'll most likely see some force users now and then.
The Clone Wars TV show has episodes now and then that focus entirely on the clones, and they are actually decent episodes so I could see a series living off of that.
I would overall tend to agree. I wasn't really clear about whether the distinction was one of no jedi/sith charachters in any episodes, perhaps mentioned only in passing, or merely no jedi/sith main roles in such a series. SW is a big enough universe that you could create decent plots w/little or no use of J/S. Just pick good actors and writers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DY
The wars we have been fighting have been more difficult than we ever expected because we envisioned our opposition using the same tactics of the Soviet Union.
I think that after Vietnam we realized that an insurgency/guerrilla campaign was a real possibility. Probably even factored into the concept of being abble to handle "2-1/2 wars" before the Clinton era builddown. Given that Iraq was a former Soviet client state, not unrealistic. Don't believe anyone really saw the Afghan campaign as the same. Whole thing sort of reminds you of the old saying...careful what you wish for, you might just get it (and the other about no plan surviving contact with the enemy).

Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

Last edited by Totenkopf; 07-05-2009 at 10:08 AM.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:19 PM   #18
mattig89ch

you know, they could introduce a few main characters w/out jedi. For example, Han Solo could be the pilot, and they could have Chewie on the ship as well. Of course they would have to make it just after he quit the imperial army...

Quote:
528) ... and you make her do it half naked, in undies only. o.O ... and you extend this to your female boss
583 - Your female boss agrees
530) Your boss thinks you nuts for trying to wield a lightsaber
mattig89ch is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-06-2009, 01:34 PM   #19
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevron 7 locke View Post
I think that having no jedi appearing will give the audience a new perspective on how life in the Star Wars universe works.
This makes it sound like you haven't watched the OT.

Old 07-06-2009, 01:37 PM   #20
Mandalore The Shadow
The Writing Writer

Current Game: KotOR II
Quote:
Originally Posted by True_Avery View Post

Yeah im no fan of the show but having episodes that are entierly focused on the clones if pretty cool

My Mods
“You needn't die happy when your time comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived
your life from the beginning to the end and ka is always served.”

― Stephen King, The Dark Tower
Mandalore The Shadow is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-07-2009, 06:38 PM   #21
Darth_Yuthura
Banned

Current Game: KOTOR III
I would like to see more characters interacting amongst one another outside of the action sequences... that would make the shows cheaper to produce as well. In Star Trek DS9, they had characters grow closer towards one another and form friendships where there were none to begin with. In the Movies, that happened as well minus about 95% of the content you needed to show why two people became close friends. The rest was just assumed to have happened off screen. More 'onscreen' content.
Darth_Yuthura is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-07-2009, 06:52 PM   #22
Q
The one who knocks

You know, that sounds a lot like character development, which was something that was actually featured in the OT. One of the main reasons that the PT sucked as badly as it did was because the character development was so visibly absent, IMO.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Old 06-14-2011, 03:12 PM   #23
ChAiNz.2da
Leave Everything to Me!

Yeah, I know necro... but I really didn't want to create a new thread just for this. Besides, this thread is more relevant than the ones about the cartoon or the budget per episode

Anywho....

Quote:
Star Wars producer, Rick McCallum dished a little bit about the iconic franchise's long-planned live-action TV series. It appears that the show will indeed be hugely ambitious. However, that ambition will apparently put the show back into developmental purgatory while its grand details are fleshed-out.
Quote:
“It takes place between episodes three and four, when Luke Skywalker was growing up as a teenager, but it has nothing to do with Luke,” he said, adding that there is no young Luke Skywalker in any of the episodes."
boooooooo... was hoping more in line with the KotOR time period. I'm over the PT/OT years

source

"Eagles May Soar, But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines"

| Mods (FF) (DS) | Folding | SWK.com | FB: (LF) (Me) | Steam | The Herd |
ChAiNz.2da is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-14-2011, 03:31 PM   #24
Astor
It's Thornhill!

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChAiNz.2da View Post
boooooooo... was hoping more in line with the KotOR time period. I'm over the PT/OT years
As far as I can remember, they've always said that any live-action series would be set between the Trilogies.

I agree it's overdone, but this show, if it ever sees the light, has always been Lucas' plaything, and we all know he couldn't give a Gundark's ass about anything beyond his perhaps limited view.

Astor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-14-2011, 03:33 PM   #25
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

But if it is more focused on smugglers and gangsters and the like, I think that would be great.

Old 06-14-2011, 03:37 PM   #26
Shem
Master of the Force

Current Game: Variations of games
10 year veteran! Veteran Modder Notable contributor Hot Topic Starter 
Then there is the $50,000 cost per episode that needs to drop before this can even get started.

Interested in hosting a your KOTOR or TSL mod at FileFront? Send your mod HERE and we'll validate it as soon as we can! FileFront is a good way to get publicity for your mod as we get 1000's of visitors everyday. Is my LucasForum PM box full again? If you really need to reach me, PM me at YouTube under the username: Shem L -- Watch my KOTOR videos! Download my mods from FileFront!

Shem is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-14-2011, 04:06 PM   #27
ChAiNz.2da
Leave Everything to Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astor View Post
As far as I can remember, they've always said that any live-action series would be set between the Trilogies.
True.. just wishful thinking on my part

Quote:
But if it is more focused on smugglers and gangsters and the like, I think that would be great.
Definitely! And from the mention of the underground bosses/drugs/prostitution bit (though just descriptor words for the article I'm sure).. I'd say it will be more attuned to that seedier line. At least on a grittier path than we've seen before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shem View Post
Then there is the $50,000 cost per episode that needs to drop before this can even get started.
True enough.. but hell, stick the Star Wars name on anything and ad revenue will pour in. Networks will fight to carry that brand. Like it or not, The Clone Wars pulled Cartoon Network to the top of all animated networks and Guinness World Records awarded it "the highest rated sci-fi animation currently on television". I don't think cost would be "too" big of a factor as long as it carried the Star Wars name.

"Eagles May Soar, But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines"

| Mods (FF) (DS) | Folding | SWK.com | FB: (LF) (Me) | Steam | The Herd |
ChAiNz.2da is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-14-2011, 04:41 PM   #28
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChAiNz.2da View Post
True enough.. but hell, stick the Star Wars name on anything and ad revenue will pour in. Networks will fight to carry that brand. Like it or not, The Clone Wars pulled Cartoon Network to the top of all animated networks and Guinness World Records awarded it "the highest rated sci-fi animation currently on television". I don't think cost would be "too" big of a factor as long as it carried the Star Wars name.

I agree. GL hasn't killed that goose yet. I'm sure that when it gets to the point of flogging a dead horse, they'll still squeeze more $$ out than many an original concept show.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:58 PM   #29
Q
The one who knocks

Quote:
Yeah, I could get into that. I'm more interested in wretched hives of scum and villainy than anything involving the Jedi at this point.

-Toker
Old 06-14-2011, 08:09 PM   #30
Primogen

Current Game: The Witcher
A $50,000 price tag per episode seems really low to me.

The Crown of Albion, an Arthurian Mythology RP
Dark Age of the Republic, a Star Wars RP
Primogen is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-14-2011, 08:39 PM   #31
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primogen View Post
A $50,000 price tag per episode seems really low to me.
Doesn't Lucasfilm have to fund it all by themselves, though? Where other shows have the fundings of the tv networks, Lucas does tend to work independently.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:59 PM   #32
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miltiades View Post
Doesn't Lucasfilm have to fund it all by themselves, though? Where other shows have the fundings of the tv networks, Lucas does tend to work independently.
Why would they do that? Does that warrant all the revenue for them too?

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-14-2011, 10:54 PM   #33
Bob Lion54
Jr. Malkavian Detective

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
I just can't get over the fact that it seems most Star Wars fans hate Jedi...

It's like saying "Yea, I'd go see the new X-Men movie, but the Mutants have just been done too much. I love the universe they created for it, though. I just want a movie without Mutants in that universe!"

Bob Lion54 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-15-2011, 01:44 AM   #34
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Lion54 View Post
I just can't get over the fact that it seems most Star Wars fans hate Jedi...

It's like saying "Yea, I'd go see the new X-Men movie, but the Mutants have just been done too much. I love the universe they created for it, though. I just want a movie without Mutants in that universe!"
Well, originally SW had very little do to with the Force and Force users. Actually, as much as telekinesis, mind tricks and lightsabers were cool, the firefights in land, the dogfights in space and the Galactic Civil War - which had more of the previous two than any Jedi/Sith action - were the selling points for me back in the OT days. And I'm sure many people would agree.

I'm certain most people are ok with seeing Jedi waving sabers around (although that should make little sense on the timeline they've chosen (then again, after TFU and some comics, maybe not)); what they're asking for is that the series is not centered on the Jedi or Sith, instead focusing on the riff-raff of the galaxy and other minor groups.

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-15-2011, 02:29 AM   #35
Titanius Anglesmith
Kingslayer

I was under the impression that he claimed each episode would cost around $50 million.

Besides, no matter when the story takes place, I have absolutely no faith in this show as long as Lucas is in charge of script-writing.
Titanius Anglesmith is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-15-2011, 02:48 AM   #36
Q
The one who knocks

It was $50 million, and I just took it as Lucasspeak for "We're not working on it".

-Toker
Old 06-15-2011, 03:25 AM   #37
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

Forum Veteran The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
Its gonna be in about 10 years, and its gonna be bad, and its gonna screw continuity, and its gonna divide fans... Its just... Gonna... Suck.

George Lucas' Star Wars is now garbage, Its like all along he wanted to be Walt Disney, but people with integrity pointed him in the right direction... I dont believe for a second that this supposed Live action show will be about Criminals drugs and Prostitution in an Original Trilogy setting, It will be about a small boy who loses his toy wampa, but a kind older bearded man tells him about the magical fairy people of Nolnoidia, and they all lived happily ever after, and some politics, and a Gungan.

adamqd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-15-2011, 10:50 AM   #38
Tommycat
º¿º>^..^<

Current Game: Real Life 1.0(BETA)
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamqd View Post
I dont believe for a second that this supposed Live action show will be about Criminals drugs and Prostitution in an Original Trilogy setting, It will be about a small boy who loses his toy wampa, but a kind older bearded man tells him about the magical fairy people of Nolnoidia, and they all lived happily ever after, and some politics, and a Gungan.
Ain't that the truth... Hell they took Spice outta Star Wars Galaxies, because it was kinda sorta a drug reference. They made a kinder gentler Han who's reacting to a shot instead of shooting first. They put JarJar Binks into the movie...

And to those that think it's strange that those who love the OT tend to not like Jedi, time how much screen time sabers get in the OT. There was far more space action and blaster action than saber action.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." Thomas Jefferson
Tommycat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-15-2011, 11:08 AM   #39
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommycat View Post
And to those that think it's strange that those who love the OT tend to not like Jedi, time how much screen time sabers get in the OT. There was far more space action and blaster action than saber action.
I also think it's partly because the prequels destroyed the mysticism surrounding Jedi. The OT used the exposure of lightsaber fights and force attacks scarcely, while the prequels completely destroyed the myth, from the revelation of midichlorians to battles with hundreds of Jedi fighting beside troopers. It made the appearance of Jedi less special.

I think it's a good idea for the Live Action series to leave out Jedi and Sith, since it's been overexposured and is just one part of what makes Star Wars cool.

@CAD: I may have interpreted it wrong, but I was under the impression Lucas created his own studio as not be dependent of other studios who would curb his creativity (heh, yeah, I know) and that he would continue to do so with all his projects, and that both the funding and the revenue would be in Lucasfilms' hands.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:32 AM   #40
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctrl Alt Del View Post
Well, originally SW had very little do to with the Force and Force users. Actually, as much as telekinesis, mind tricks and lightsabers were cool, the firefights in land, the dogfights in space and the Galactic Civil War - which had more of the previous two than any Jedi/Sith action - were the selling points for me back in the OT days. And I'm sure many people would agree.
Totally agree. When I was growing up Han was the coolest because he had the ship and got the girl. Everyone wanted to be X-Wing pilots. In the winter we pretended we were troopers on Hoth. Most people had never heard of the Sith, and at best only knew that Vader was one.

I like Jedi as much as the next fan, but to me and many older fans, there is a lot more that makes Star Wars cool than Jedi. That is why I don't really agree with the X-Men analogy.

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Ahto Spaceport Cantina > Live Action Star Wars TV Show?