lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar
View Poll Results: wich one is the best lucasarts game?
labyrinth 0 0%
maniac mansion 0 0%
loom 0 0%
zak mckracken 1 2.78%
secret of monkey island 2 5.56%
indiana jones: the last crusade 0 0%
indiana jones: fate of Atlantis 1 2.78%
monkey island 2:lechuck's revenge 10 27.78%
day of the tentacle 3 8.33%
sam & max hit the road 0 0%
full throttle 2 5.56%
the dig 0 0%
curse of monkey island 4 11.11%
grim fandango 12 33.33%
escape from monkey island 1 2.78%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: lucasarts best adventure game
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 07-14-2009, 12:10 AM   #1
gos
Rookie

lucasarts best adventure game

the most enjoyable game is,,,?
gos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-14-2009, 12:23 AM   #2
purple_tentacle_

I go for Day of the Tentacle. I love that game. I like the characters, the color, the story and the humor. I like pretty much all the big title adventure games but this one is most enjoyable and I dont get frustrade. Its a game I can sit down on the couch turn on my laptop and play for hours. Thats why I like this one.

http://www.lucasforums.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=162626&dateline=12954  72528
"The Simple truth is that we've
lost control of our own borders,
and no nation can do that and survive"
-Ronald Reagan
purple_tentacle_ is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-14-2009, 12:39 AM   #3
Snugglecakes

Current Game: Mata Hari
Monkey Island 2. It's perfect. For me it's the sweet spot. Those lush backgrounds, the awesome music (still my favourite of all the soundtracks), hilarious dialogue, awesome puzzles, the sheer length of the game... and the attention to detail. There are little bits everywhere that almost suggest the game was finished with a week to go, allowing them to pour over it and add tinsel. It's my favourite game of all time never mind this list.
Snugglecakes is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-14-2009, 12:45 AM   #4
gos
Rookie

i am confused between full throttle and curse but dott..ah i got nice memories with this game
Old 07-14-2009, 01:33 AM   #5
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

Hard to say for me, I'd put Grim Fandango, Monkey Island 2 and SoMI at the top at a tie. I think I'll pitch in a vote for Monkey Island 2, it really is the sweet spot.

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-14-2009, 02:13 AM   #6
purple_tentacle_

Ok I read all this monkey island stuff and full throtle. I like monkey island alot but I realy truly have never heard of Full Throtle ( Kinda Embarasing being a HUGE adventure game fan and Lucasarts fan.) and just discovered it. But I never here anything about DOTT! I know that Monkey Island is way more popular than the Maniac Mansion sereis but I think they should give it a little mor respect. Maniac Manison is the mother of all adventure games and It doesnt even have its own forum. And DOTT! I know there are Day of the Tentacle fans out there and every time I make a new thread about DOTT its overlooked like a hobo on the side of the road. I think we need to start talking about it some more. Its next on Telltales List. Just saying...

http://www.lucasforums.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=162626&dateline=12954  72528
-Ronald Reagan
Old 07-14-2009, 02:19 AM   #7
gos
Rookie

if you love cartoon adv games go play curse and toonstruck
Old 07-14-2009, 02:27 AM   #8
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

@purple: To be honest I didn't like DotT all that much. Like all LA's adventure games, it's deifinitely a cut above the industry but I personally find it the weakest game of the line. The only part I completely liked was how you could send items through time, that was a really innovative piece of gampeplay, but I didn't really like the overly cartoony feel and the humour, while great, wasn't as good as the other LA games (doesn't mean it didn't get me rolling on the floor a few times).

And so I must conclude (and get beaten up later) that DotT is a tad overrated. >_>

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-14-2009, 02:33 AM   #9
purple_tentacle_

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth View Post
@purple: To be honest I didn't like DotT all that much. Like all LA's adventure games, it's deifinitely a cut above the industry but I personally find it the weakest game of the line. The only part I completely liked was how you could send items through time, that was a really innovative piece of gampeplay, but I didn't really like the overly cartoony feel and the humour, while great, wasn't as good as the other LA games (doesn't mean it didn't get me rolling on the floor a few times).

And so I must conclude (and get beaten up later) that DotT is a tad overrated. >_>
Well it should at least get some respect. But I am fine with that answere....

-Ronald Reagan
Old 07-14-2009, 02:39 AM   #10
gos
Rookie

do you know this game?

Old 07-14-2009, 02:41 AM   #11
purple_tentacle_

Quote:
Originally Posted by gos View Post
do you know this game?

DUDE thats a little scary. What is it?

KILL HIM!!!!!!

-Ronald Reagan
Old 07-14-2009, 02:45 AM   #12
gos
Rookie

look for it its called toontruck its the 2nd best adv ive ever played
Old 07-14-2009, 05:11 AM   #13
xgfx
Rookie

Toonstruck is effing brilliant. The art style + the big 'maps' + the voice acting + Christopher Lloyd was mind blowing at the time! I rate it very highly. Shame it's an absolute arsehole to get running on modern computers, even with dosbox.

There's something I love about the simplicity of the Lucasarts games though. Full Throttle and MI 1+2 are on level par for me I think. MI is just brilliant from start to finish, but Full Throttle has a really great story, awesome art, and completable on a lazy sunday afternoon!
xgfx is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-14-2009, 06:23 AM   #14
LordTrilobite

I played the following (in this order):
indiana jones and fate of Atlantis
grim fandango
full throttle
sam & max hit the road
secret of monkey island
monkey island 2:lechuck's revenge
curse of monkey island
escape from monkey island
loom
maniac mansion

I'd have to say that my favorite is Fate of Atlantis, the atmosphere is just wonderfull. And the thrill of discovering Atlantis is great. Really good story and loads of replay value. The only thing I don't really like about this game is the backtracking in the Atlantis maze.

Second would be both Secret of Monkey Island: LeChuck's Revenge and Grim Fandango.

After that I think Full Throttle, Secret of Monkey Island and Sam & Max Hit the Road. These are also brilliant, and a bit below these comes Curse of Monkey Island, good, but not quite brilliant.

Loom has a good story, but the gameplay doesn't appeal to me as much as standard Point 'n Click adventure games.
Maniac Mansion, was fun. I only played it recently for the first time, I guess it's a bit more dated than others to be really anthusiastic about it.

Escape of Monkey Island was enjoyable, but not special.

Of course, it's really hard to compare so many wonderfull brilliant classics.

LordTrilobite is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-14-2009, 06:37 AM   #15
Snugglecakes

1. Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge
2. The Secret of Monkey Island
3. Grim Fandango
4. Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
5. The Curse of Monkey Island
6. Full Throttle
7. The Day of the Tentacle
8. The Dig
9. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
10. Sam & Max Hit the Road
11. Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders
12. Loom
13. Maniac Mansion

144. Escape from Monkey Island
Old 07-14-2009, 08:42 AM   #16
Nickelstein

Current Game: OPF,HL2,Bioshock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snugglecakes View Post
3. Grim Fandango
6. Full Throttle
8. The Dig
12. Loom
13. Maniac Mansion

Damn you hate EFMI that much man?
Nickelstein is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-14-2009, 09:03 AM   #17
Snugglecakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickelstein View Post
Damn you hate EFMI that much man?
Heh! If they'd called it something else, maybe I'd like it. But it's so far removed from Monkey Island that I can't take it seriously. TMI is great though!
Old 07-14-2009, 09:12 AM   #18
DPB
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by xgfx View Post
Toonstruck is effing brilliant. The art style + the big 'maps' + the voice acting + Christopher Lloyd was mind blowing at the time! I rate it very highly. Shame it's an absolute arsehole to get running on modern computers, even with dosbox.
It's also got Dan Castellaneta (Homer Simpson) as that purple thing Flux Wildly and Tim Curry as the villain.

My rankings:
1 Grim Fandango
2 Monkey Island 2
3 The Curse of Monkey Island
4 Day of the Tentacle
5 The Secret of Monkey Island
6 Sam & Max Hit the Road
7 Escape from Monkey Island
8 Full Throttle
9 The Dig

I liked all of the above a lot except The Dig, which I found a bit dull. I've only just bought Fate of Atlantis so I don't know how high it'll rank yet.
DPB is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-14-2009, 09:20 AM   #19
Nickelstein

Current Game: OPF,HL2,Bioshock
The Dig was one of the best!
Nickelstein is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-14-2009, 10:16 AM   #20
Zak McKracken

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple_tentacle_ View Post
Ok I read all this monkey island stuff and full throtle. I like monkey island alot but I realy truly have never heard of Full Throtle ( Kinda Embarasing being a HUGE adventure game fan and Lucasarts fan.) and just discovered it. But I never here anything about DOTT! I know that Monkey Island is way more popular than the Maniac Mansion sereis but I think they should give it a little mor respect. Maniac Manison is the mother of all adventure games and It doesnt even have its own forum. And DOTT! I know there are Day of the Tentacle fans out there and every time I make a new thread about DOTT its overlooked like a hobo on the side of the road. I think we need to start talking about it some more. Its next on Telltales List. Just saying...
P.T.: Whenever I read a gaming magazine as a kid or listened to other adventure fans Day of the Tentacle was always at the top of their list. I believe PC Gamer even rated it best adventure game 10 years ago. So to say it doesn’t have respect is ludicrous. Even now DOTT is still talked about by LucasArts or TellTale in the media. I know I've said this before but Loom & Zak McKracken are rarely talked about and IMO are great games. When was the last time LucasArts, TellTale or any other gaming media recognized or acknowledged either of these? (Not counting Loom's appearance on Steam of course)

As to which is my favourite game? I don't want to pick just one. I love them all and for different reasons. I think LucasArts was the only company at the time where I enjoyed every one of their adventure games.

Oh and P.T. I know this is not relevant and off-topic but I was just wondering how old are you?
Zak McKracken is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-14-2009, 11:20 AM   #21
Giant Graffiti
Custom User Title

For Nostalgic Values™:

1. Loom
2. The Last Crusade
3. The Dig
4. Monkey Island 2
5. Monkey Island 1
6. Day of the Tentacle
7. Fate of Atlantis
8. Full Throttle
Giant Graffiti is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-14-2009, 11:59 AM   #22
Fealiks
NAMBLA member

Curse was the best game by far for me. Closely followed by MI2 and Grim Fandango.

DoTT wasn't brilliant, but I did like it.
Fealiks is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-14-2009, 12:17 PM   #23
Sven_Q45
Forumite

Hell! Dott!! My first (with Goblins 3 and Andromedas Erbe 2). Everytime played Dott at that time!!
Sven_Q45 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-14-2009, 12:30 PM   #24
andygeers
Rookie

I'd be very curious to correlate the voting patterns of this poll to the "which LucasArts game did you play first?" poll that ran a little while ago. I wonder if a lot of preference is explained by nostalgia.
andygeers is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-14-2009, 12:39 PM   #25
Fealiks
NAMBLA member

Yeah, that's a good point.

Since I play CMI pretty often, though (about once a year), all feelings of nostalgia have been eradicated
Old 07-14-2009, 01:57 PM   #26
Jeff
Rating: Awesome

Current Game: SWTOR
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
It's hard to rank them for me, but I'd say my top 3 are Grim Fandango, Monkey Island 2, and Sam & Max Hit the Road. Of course SoMI is up there too. Sadly there are quite a few on the list that I have yet to play.

Follow me on Twitter
Follow StarWarsMMO.net on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
Jeff is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-14-2009, 03:10 PM   #27
The Tingler
The Lagomorph Prince

Current Game: Not TFU2
The International House of Mojo Staff 
I'm glad you added Labyrinth! True fan!

It's a toss up for me between Monkey Island 2 and Grim Fandango. I'll go for Grim, because it's still not aged. At all.

The Tingler is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-14-2009, 03:33 PM   #28
Sven_Q45
Forumite

Well I like all. And enjoy all to play!
But Dott is (I said) my frist and favorite adventure game at all!
Sven_Q45 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-14-2009, 03:39 PM   #29
SyntheticGerbil
Pasta Master

If I had to pick one, it would always be Grim Fandango. No other game I've ever played has taken me to such a rich world with that level of atmosphere before and after. I'm still hoping it will be trumped one day, because Grim Fandango is one of the few games I had a hard time taking a break from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andygeers View Post
I'd be very curious to correlate the voting patterns of this poll to the "which LucasArts game did you play first?" poll that ran a little while ago. I wonder if a lot of preference is explained by nostalgia.
And my first LucasArts game was Maniac Mansion... heh. My cousin got it brand new when it came out, although we never got very far. I played the rest as a they came on PC out for the most part. Although I mean considering I started a lot of the games at 7 years old, I frequently had many adventure games going on to completion up to 2 years, until maybe the 3rd or 4th grade, when my comprehension skills of the world around me started making puzzle solutions click.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xgfx View Post
Really? You liked that game a lot? I played that game a few times through in middle school and while it was okay, I found the puzzles kind of dumb and the dialogue tended to go on forever to the point where I could spend a whole hour of gameplay just trying to talk to two different characters.

While the art and animation was good, I feel like a lot of the cartoon wackiness in the game was more cliche and done better in it's modern TV counterparts: Ren and Stimpy or Itchy and Scratchy. Christopher Lloyd was great though.

Last edited by SyntheticGerbil; 07-14-2009 at 03:47 PM.
SyntheticGerbil is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-14-2009, 04:32 PM   #30
Huz
Coconut in the lime

10 year veteran! LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordTrilobite View Post
I'd have to say that my favorite is Fate of Atlantis, the atmosphere is just wonderfull. And the thrill of discovering Atlantis is great. Really good story and loads of replay value. The only thing I don't really like about this game is the backtracking in the Atlantis maze.
I'm glad to see someone giving Fate of Atlantis some love. It's gone up in my estimation every time I've replayed portions of it, and now it's one of my all-time favourites. Still not the favourite of mine - I think that's a toss-up between Monkey Island 2 and Grim Fandango - but it's up there. The atmosphere is absolutely fantastic, and the exposition is the best you'll get in a LucasArts game. Possibly even better than Grim Fandango.

"I once ate a teabag" - Thrik
The Huz Experience
Huz is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-14-2009, 05:34 PM   #31
Zak McKracken

The first game I played was Secret of Monkey Island. Our neighbours had given it to us and I just remember being transfixed by this awesome game. It certainly helped that I already had a love of pirates. The characters and world presented were so rich and colourful I could play this game for hours on end and never get bored. I think this game and Loom cemented to our family that LucasArts was something special and I never looked back.
Zak McKracken is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-14-2009, 07:54 PM   #32
purple_tentacle_

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz View Post
I'm glad to see someone giving Fate of Atlantis some love. It's gone up in my estimation every time I've replayed portions of it, and now it's one of my all-time favourites. Still not the favourite of mine - I think that's a toss-up between Monkey Island 2 and Grim Fandango - but it's up there. The atmosphere is absolutely fantastic, and the exposition is the best you'll get in a LucasArts game. Possibly even better than Grim Fandango.
DUDE....who are you!?

-Ronald Reagan
Old 07-14-2009, 08:57 PM   #33
Fealiks
NAMBLA member

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple_tentacle_ View Post
DUDE....who are you!?
He's Huz; Ghost-busting stud.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:30 PM   #34
gos
Rookie

gamespot rated the dig for (4.5)!, the dig is a very great game i give it 8.9

sources: http://www.gamespot.com/pc/adventure...result;title;1
Old 07-14-2009, 11:16 PM   #35
parabolee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snugglecakes View Post
3. Grim Fandango
6. Full Throttle
8. The Dig
12. Loom
13. Maniac Mansion

Wow, I would rank them in the EXACT SAME order!! Even placing EMI at 144

Although I never played Zak, and could never finish Maniac Mansion. But my first 10 would be the same, although I'd place Fate over Grim.
parabolee is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-14-2009, 11:34 PM   #36
jrrtoken

Comparing LA's adventure games is like comparing sex to alcohol; it can't be done.

Either way, I'd probably have to rank CMI as my favorite, partly due to the fact that adored the art direction, especially the intro sequence. The experience was akin to watching any Disney animated film, but it was a game on your computer. That alone was stunning at the time, which probably made it most memorable for me.
jrrtoken is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-14-2009, 11:43 PM   #37
Snugglecakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by parabolee View Post
Wow, I would rank them in the EXACT SAME order!! Even placing EMI at 144

Although I never played Zak, and could never finish Maniac Mansion. But my first 10 would be the same, although I'd place Fate over Grim.
Yeah FoA and GF are a tossup I'm just realizing how lucky I am to have played them all, judging from some of the comments on here. About 5 or 6 years ago I went on a mission to buy all the missing ones.. well worth it. Nothing like a complete SCUMM collection on your shelf!

I guess the biggest surprise in my list in Sam & Max... I love them dearly but they just don't have the appeal of the other games for me. Not that I'll ever not buy a new Sam & Max title.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:54 PM   #38
urluckyday
Up all night to get lucky

Current Game: Red Orchestra 2
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
Not only is it the best LA game but also the best game ever made...Grim Fandango all the way...

Second would have to be Indy: Fate of Atlantis

If I die today, I'm happy how my life turned out
urluckyday is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-15-2009, 12:08 AM   #39
Udvarnoky
Short for "Jason"

The International House of Mojo Staff 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gos View Post
gamespot rated the dig for (4.5)!, the dig is a very great game i give it 8.9

sources: http://www.gamespot.com/pc/adventure...result;title;1
I think if you were to compile a list of reviews of The Dig from when the game came out, Gamespot's review would be an anomaly. I personally rank it as the weakest of the LEC adventures (although I still think it's great), but I'm pretty sure its release was met with rave reviews. LEC also claims it to be their best selling adventure of all time, though the cynic in me credits Steven Spielberg's name for that more than anything else.
Udvarnoky is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-15-2009, 12:13 AM   #40
purple_tentacle_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fealiks View Post
He's Huz; Ghost-busting stud.
Well all the sudden I see him all over and hes not new so I was just wondering if he hasnt been on for a while. Just wondering.

-Ronald Reagan
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Mixnmojo.com > Mojo Discussion Forums > General Discussion > lucasarts best adventure game