lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: SMI:SE #1 on Steam revenue charts
Thread Tools Display Modes
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 07-24-2009, 05:16 AM   #41
LordTrilobite
Junior Member
 
LordTrilobite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Holland
Posts: 497
And use the forest and church as locations for the comparison.

LordTrilobite is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-24-2009, 04:07 PM   #42
Ergonpandilus
Lurker
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 5
Thumbs up

Greetings, newbie here, but not to MI series.

Are you honestly saying, that it was a bad idea to launch MI:SE?!?? Even though I understand that the change in graphics can shock someone, but still overall the facelift was pretty awesome and nicely drawn with every little detail fitting perfectly to the scene. And I'm very eagerly waiting for the MI2:SE if it's going to be happen as it seems like a bit...

The original drawings were meant to low resolution screen and thus didn't had that many details. I really liked the way how they added new details to special edition.


Here's good example. It just screams for more details like barrels and bushes here and there etc.

Usually old men are mumbling new things and changes. Are you that old yet?
Ergonpandilus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-24-2009, 04:15 PM   #43
Giant Graffiti
Custom User Title
 
Giant Graffiti's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ergonpandilus View Post
Are you that old yet?
Yes.

Also, welcome to the forums!

Last edited by Giant Graffiti; 07-24-2009 at 05:23 PM.
Giant Graffiti is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-24-2009, 05:04 PM   #44
SyntheticGerbil
Pasta Master
 
SyntheticGerbil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Underwater
Posts: 2,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ergonpandilus View Post
Greetings, newbie here, but not to MI series.
Heard that before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ergonpandilus View Post
Are you honestly saying, that it was a bad idea to launch MI:SE?!?? Even though I understand that the change in graphics can shock someone, but still overall the facelift was pretty awesome and nicely drawn with every little detail fitting perfectly to the scene. And I'm very eagerly waiting for the MI2:SE if it's going to be happen as it seems like a bit...
Please go back and read every thread pertaining to this issue before you come in here and make your first post on an argument that has been over ad nauseam. It never amazes me that people keep signing up on the forums and swoop in thinking they have the obvious answer to why everyone is bitching and that once they state their reason, then everyone will stop.

Seriously if you guys aren't going to go over old threads and try to understand the problem here with the remake, then don't bother. I understand it's much easier to understand why someone likes a video game over why someone dislikes one, but get some perspective. Also it helps to have a general taste on what makes good art, composition, design, technique, and appeal.

I'm not saying those that like the Special Edition lack those qualities of good taste, but it would sure help for people to understand the game's visual flaws and why it upsets some, whether the art kills the game for someone or not. It would also help bring some deeper thought beyond the cliche "rose colored glasses" argument, because believe you me, this art is far from perfect, and if some of you can't understand from point one why someone would feel that way, then why do you think you are going to convince anyone otherwise?
SyntheticGerbil is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-24-2009, 05:09 PM   #45
Gabez
Senior Member
 
Gabez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Oxford, England
Posts: 3,146
On the subject of "don't bother," SyntheticGerbil, if you don't have anything nice to say then don't bother saying anything at all.

Welcome to the forums, Ergonpandilus! Please ignore all the grumpy old men.
Gabez is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-24-2009, 05:19 PM   #46
SyntheticGerbil
Pasta Master
 
SyntheticGerbil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Underwater
Posts: 2,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabez View Post
On the subject of "don't bother," SyntheticGerbil, if you don't have anything nice to say then don't bother saying anything at all.

Welcome to the forums, Ergonpandilus! Please ignore all the grumpy old men.
So people signing up just to argue (with mostly me it feels like) and call everyone who prefers the original graphic aesthetic as old or having something wrong with them is just as fine? It's certainly just as frustrating and no people are not crazy if they see flaws.

Come on, I think one can introduce themselves better on forums than making an argument your reason for your first post. Maybe at least have it be a part of the second post?

I understand anything you say or decide beyond this will trump my sentiment, but that's my take.

Last edited by SyntheticGerbil; 07-24-2009 at 05:39 PM.
SyntheticGerbil is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-24-2009, 06:24 PM   #47
don_quixote
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyntheticGerbil View Post
Heard that before.
Wait... if you don't post here, you're not a fan and are new to MI? You're an odd person, that's for sure.


Quote:
Originally Posted by SyntheticGerbil View Post
Also it helps to have a general taste on what makes good art, composition, design, technique, and appeal.
Of course, this appears to be a quality uniquely available to... you? And others who complain?


Quote:
Originally Posted by SyntheticGerbil View Post
I'm not saying those that like the Special Edition lack those qualities of good taste, but it would sure help for people to understand the game's visual flaws and why it upsets some, whether the art kills the game for someone or not. It would also help bring some deeper thought beyond the cliche "rose colored glasses" argument, because believe you me, this art is far from perfect, and if some of you can't understand from point one why someone would feel that way, then why do you think you are going to convince anyone otherwise?
I have now snapped a few screens in ScummVM (with a scaler no less!) and just have to do the same for MI:SE (unfortunately, PrtSc is nowhere near as fast as Scumm's screenshot option), and I think the rose coloured argument certainly works for MI:SE because the original is not a pretty game.
don_quixote is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-24-2009, 06:44 PM   #48
SyntheticGerbil
Pasta Master
 
SyntheticGerbil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Underwater
Posts: 2,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by don_quixote View Post
Of course, this appears to be a quality uniquely available to... you? And others who complain?
Now I did not say that. Flaws of course exist in the new artwork and it is not perfect. Don't twist my words, guy.

But seriously this argument is pretty much over (not that I haven't stated my case more than enough) since you wrote this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by don_quixote View Post
...and I think the rose coloured argument certainly works for MI:SE because the original is not a pretty game.
We have nothing more to talk about. How am I supposed to convince you the original game *was* pretty if you don't think so in the first place? It's just going to be an exercise in futility. Someone else can go back and forth with you on your screenshots if they want. Adios.

Last edited by SyntheticGerbil; 07-24-2009 at 07:01 PM.
SyntheticGerbil is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-24-2009, 06:48 PM   #49
VoodooFX
 
VoodooFX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Slovenia
Posts: 26
Anyone who's expecting LEC to change/improve any faults from SMI:SE with MI2:SE, should they ever make one, is going to be hugely disappointed (yet again).

They certainly won't be using hires scans of the original backgrounds, since Mr. Tiller himself said in one of the interviews that some test proved that they just don't work that well in hires.

After all the media released prior to game launch, I really don't understand what exactly were you people expecting to get?

Besides, if SMI:SE was a full-fledged-built-from-scratch remake, it would never have cost 10$. Now you could argue that you'd have been more than willing to pay a full 40-something $ price, but majority of people would not.

I for one enjoyed the SE and will be getting any other game they plan to remake. As long as they stick to one of Guybrush's possible final words: Never pay more than 20 bucks for a computer game


We may have days, we may have hours, but sooner or later we all push up flowers
VoodooFX is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-25-2009, 07:44 AM   #50
Thrik
Symbolically Compelling
 
Thrik's Avatar
 
Status: Administrator
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Nottingham, UK
Posts: 4,202
Hot Topic Starter Forum Veteran LFN Staff Member 
Man, I came back off holiday yesterday only to have my dad raving about how the original Monkey Island has been re-released, he's already bought it off Steam, etc. He's also let my sister play it, who is only nine thus isn't really into ancient-looking games but thanks to the revamp has been absolutely loving it.

My own opinions aside (I've hardly touched it yet), I think it's really cool that older people and younger people are discovering and rediscovering the game as a result of its revamp. Both are people I know would never have played it (again) otherwise, as to be honest us serial re-players are pretty rare.


Thrik is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-25-2009, 12:31 PM   #51
thecapz
Lurker
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1
Gerbal's logic is mega fail. Do a re-release the way he wants it, or don't release it at all.

Special Edition was great, it let me pick up monkey island all over again after ?? years , with voices and updated graphics.


Any re-make is better then no re-make at all. Period.
thecapz is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-25-2009, 01:37 PM   #52
LordTrilobite
Junior Member
 
LordTrilobite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Holland
Posts: 497
No.

LordTrilobite is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-25-2009, 03:03 PM   #53
Ergonpandilus
Lurker
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecapz View Post
Any re-make is better then no re-make at all. Period.
Exactly. And if MI2:SE is ever going to happen, it's going to follow the same line as MI:SE with UI design, since it obviously worked out pretty well.

And since I (and most likely many of you) have finished first two games several times, everything new is really a welcome addition because I remember pretty much every scene and dialog, even though it's not likely that they are going to make any big changes...

Last edited by Ergonpandilus; 07-25-2009 at 04:26 PM.
Ergonpandilus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-25-2009, 07:24 PM   #54
SyntheticGerbil
Pasta Master
 
SyntheticGerbil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Underwater
Posts: 2,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecapz View Post
Gerbal's logic is mega fail. Do a re-release the way he wants it, or don't release it at all.

Any re-make is better then no re-make at all. Period.
Yes, the best way to make your point more profound and intelligent is to end it with, "Period." Yet another new poster (or troll, or ****wad, I have no idea) joined just to purposefully argue with me and contribute nothing to the rest of the forum(s).

The idiocy and lack of careful reading skills here is extraordinary. Are you sure you all aren't the same guy reregistering over and over?

And the comment that *any* remake is better by default is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.

I'm sure all of the fans of Bionic Commando, Conker, Dragon's Lair, whatever Final Fantasies, the Resident Evil series, and a horrific ton of JRPGs would all love to have a word with you. I'm sure I don't even need to bring up Hollywood movie remakes as well. In fact I won't ever even get into it, forget I just typed that sentence.

And I'm so sick of arguing over and over about this. You new guys get your post counts above 100 if you want to argue any further with me if your sole intention is to be negative. This is just getting way out of hand.

Last edited by SyntheticGerbil; 07-25-2009 at 08:07 PM.
SyntheticGerbil is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-26-2009, 05:54 PM   #55
Ergonpandilus
Lurker
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 5
No, no, no... We're positive. We (atleast I) love the MI:SE and would very much like to see the sequel happen, whetever if it follows closely or not the original game. And find it dissapointing to see people saying it shouldn't be done...
Ergonpandilus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-27-2009, 03:34 PM   #56
ThunderPeel2001
Lovebucket
 
ThunderPeel2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: London, UK
Posts: 1,768
An argument involving SyntheticGerbil?? I'm shocked!

ThunderPeel2001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-27-2009, 04:08 PM   #57
purple_tentacle_
Junior Member
 
purple_tentacle_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: California, United States
Posts: 374
One Whole generation has skipped adventure games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Mania View Post
Wow I am surprised. Most people I know havnt heard of monkey island or any of the old adventure games. Still I probably wouldnt of known if my brother hadnt of played so many of them when I was around 5 years old and now he gave most of them to me. Its like my whole generation just care about fps. I personaly like adventure games the most. I tried to get my friend to play them and all he wants to play is gears of war or whatever the big fps game is. I am acctually glad that my brother and dad played so many.

THis goes to show that one whole generation doesnt even know what an adventure game is. ITS SAD! Well at least to me it is.

But on the other hand my cousin and all his bodys are just now introduced into adventure games and there toataly in love with them so it looks like there coming back! At least it looks like that to me. He owns sam and max season 1 sam and max season2 and sam and max hit the road so I pearsonaly think its from all this hubla about SOMI:SE and TOMI.


http://www.lucasforums.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=162626&dateline=12954  72528
"The Simple truth is that we've
lost control of our own borders,
and no nation can do that and survive"
-Ronald Reagan
purple_tentacle_ is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Mixnmojo.com > Mojo Discussion Forums > General Discussion > SMI:SE #1 on Steam revenue charts

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:37 PM.


LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.