lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: August '09: The Horrors of Loss
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 07-26-2009, 11:51 AM   #1
Black Knight of Keno
Darth Tepe of today

Roleplayer 
August '09: The Horrors of Loss

Alright. I'm craving for a bit of Greek tragedy, and since Writer has given me the honors or deciding the next topic for you lot, I have decided upon the basic emotion of loss. A good fanfiction topic and an excellent character study if you're into that sort of thing.

The definition of loss:
1: destruction, ruin
2 a: the act of losing possession : deprivation<loss of sight> b: the harm or privation resulting from loss or separation c: an instance of losing
3: a person or thing or an amount that is lost: as aplural : killed, wounded, or captured soldiers b: the power diminution of a circuit or circuit element corresponding to conversion of electrical energy into heat by resistance
4 a: failure to gain, win, obtain, or utilize b: an amount by which the cost of something exceeds its selling price
5: decrease in amount, magnitude, or degree
6: the amount of an insured's financial detriment by death or damage that the insurer is liable for

So, pick your poison. That is a very lenient term and should be seen as such as well. You can make it centered around the loss of a loved one, the loss of money, the loss of (a) body part(s)... They're all options, they're all excellent topics and great examples, but I want to see what you guys can come up with yourself.

Let the games begin!

Black Knight of Keno has requested a fanfic review for this thread.

"Our posturings, our imagined self-importance,
the delusion that we have some privileged position in the universe,
are challenged by this point of pale light.
Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
In our obscurity – in all this vastness – there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves.
"

- Carl Sagan
Black Knight of Keno is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-27-2009, 08:59 AM   #2
Endorenna
Gamer Wanna-be

Current Game: inFamous/Uncharted 2
Hmm...I may not be able to provide Greek tragedy, but I think I have a few ideas...

Chapter 12 of A Soul Adrift is out.

Short stories:
T'katlu: On the planet Felucia, a young apprentice of the Dark Side thinks back to the beginning of her training as she lies in wait for her prey...

All the Time: After four years in the Unknown Regions, the Exile returns to the known galaxy to visit an old enemy.

Broken: A master of the Dark Side finds himself about to lose the one thing he cares about--and he will do anything to stop her from endangering herself.
Endorenna is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-27-2009, 01:38 PM   #3
Hallucination
Baron von Sexy

Current Game: HKO closed beta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Knight of Keno View Post
The definition of loss:
the power diminution of a circuit or circuit element corresponding to conversion of electrical energy into heat by resistance
6: the amount of an insured's financial detriment by death or damage that the insurer is liable for
So we can write about Zaalbar fixing inefficient electrical systems and Carth doing filing insurance claims, right?

This contest is gonna be awesome.

Let's kill ourselves.
Hallucination is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-27-2009, 01:54 PM   #4
Black Knight of Keno
Darth Tepe of today

Roleplayer 
If you decide to take it that literally, I suppose it is still loss, although it may not be the same theme I was going after. If you can scratch up a good and readable story about Carth filing insurance claims, go for it :P

In our obscurity – in all this vastness – there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves.
"

- Carl Sagan
Old 07-27-2009, 09:52 PM   #5
Darth_Yuthura
Banned

Current Game: KOTOR III
Already got mine submitted, but I don't exactly know how I would define it as a 'loss.' It would qualify very loosely for 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5. Do I have to state exactly which one I'm going for, or could a reader decide for her/himself?
Darth_Yuthura is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-27-2009, 11:45 PM   #6
Endorenna
Gamer Wanna-be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Yuthura View Post
Already got mine submitted, but I don't exactly know how I would define it as a 'loss.' It would qualify very loosely for 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5. Do I have to state exactly which one I'm going for, or could a reader decide for her/himself?
I hope not, 'cuz I've got my idea planned out, but I have no clue which category it'd fit in!

Short stories:
T'katlu: On the planet Felucia, a young apprentice of the Dark Side thinks back to the beginning of her training as she lies in wait for her prey...

All the Time: After four years in the Unknown Regions, the Exile returns to the known galaxy to visit an old enemy.

Broken: A master of the Dark Side finds himself about to lose the one thing he cares about--and he will do anything to stop her from endangering herself.
Old 07-28-2009, 04:10 AM   #7
Black Knight of Keno
Darth Tepe of today

Roleplayer 
No. You don't have to state what definition you went by. That's for you to know and us to figure out.

"

- Carl Sagan
Old 07-28-2009, 10:57 AM   #8
vanir
Forumite

Mines in. I'm pretty sure I covered all the bases. Hope you guys like it.
vanir is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-28-2009, 11:12 AM   #9
Endorenna
Gamer Wanna-be

By the way, what's the deadline?

Short stories:

Old 07-31-2009, 09:16 PM   #10
vanir
Forumite

Has everybody got theirs in yet? I'm dying to read all the stories for this one.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:45 PM   #11
Endorenna
Gamer Wanna-be

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanir View Post
Has everybody got theirs in yet? I'm dying to read all the stories for this one.
(sigh) Not me. >_< I really wanted to submit a story this month, but...if I don't get this one just right, it'll be a total flop.

Short stories:

Old 08-01-2009, 09:29 PM   #12
vanir
Forumite

Oh that's okay, I dealt with that by trying to make my flopping around all over the place look good
Old 08-02-2009, 07:25 PM   #13
Darth_Yuthura
Banned

I actually submitted one, but realized that it's only half of the full submission. The other half really is the 'horror of loss' where as the first is the character actually losing something.

Another question: Could someone submit two stories for one contest? (assuming votes don't stack)
Old 08-02-2009, 08:24 PM   #14
Lord of Hunger
Hunger, The Lord Of

Current Game: Shogun 2: Total War
Is it possible to submit samples (say a chapter) of a story we are already working on?

As of 3/14/10, TSL is restored. The Sith Lords Restored Content Modification by Stoney and Zbyl has been finished and can be downloaded here.

Lord of Hunger is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-02-2009, 08:27 PM   #15
Darth_Yuthura
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Hunger View Post
Is it possible to submit samples (say a chapter) of a story we are already working on?
So long as they haven't already been posted, yes.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:34 PM   #16
Lord of Hunger
Hunger, The Lord Of

Current Game: Shogun 2: Total War
Good...I have just the chapter....*evil grin*

As of 3/14/10, TSL is restored. The Sith Lords Restored Content Modification by Stoney and Zbyl has been finished and can be downloaded here.

Lord of Hunger is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-08-2009, 07:00 AM   #17
Bee Hoon
ngom ngom ngom

Forum Veteran Veteran Fan Fic Author LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
D_Y, hmmm, I suppose you could if you felt that inspired Sorry, forgot to mention that the deadline is 14th August, so make sure your entries are in by that date!

The sun goes down and the sky reddens, pain grows sharp.
light dwindles. Then is evening
when jasmine flowers open, the deluded say.
But evening is the great brightening dawn
when crested cocks crow all through the tall city
and evening is the whole day
for those without their lovers

-Kuruntokai 234, translated by A.K. Ramanujan

[Fic] Shreds of a Dying Belief
Bee Hoon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-08-2009, 08:45 PM   #18
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
The rules prohibit submitting more than one story (see them here) per competition. That was to prevent someone from submitting a ton of stories and getting an unfair advantage. You'll have to pick which one you want to submit, Darth_Yuthura, and let one of us know.

@Lord of Hunger--as long as it has not been previously published somewhere else, you may submit a chapter from a WIP.

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-08-2009, 10:14 PM   #19
Darth_Yuthura
Banned

In that case, I'm going to want my next submission to replace my first draft. This one revolves completely around the subject of loss whereas the first just brushed the subject.
Old 08-09-2009, 12:00 PM   #20
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Yuthura View Post
In that case, I'm going to want my next submission to replace my first draft. This one revolves completely around the subject of loss whereas the first just brushed the subject.
PM one of us with the name of the thread you want deleted when you've got this one done so we can make sure to delete the right one.

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-11-2009, 12:47 PM   #21
Mandalore The Shadow
The Writing Writer

Current Game: KotOR II
This fits right in with the sequil i was planning on doing to the story i entered in the last contest

My Mods
“You needn't die happy when your time comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived
your life from the beginning to the end and ka is always served.”

― Stephen King, The Dark Tower
Mandalore The Shadow is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-14-2009, 07:59 PM   #22
Darth_Yuthura
Banned

Well I more or less got my new version in. Here's to procrastination!

I forgot to include a preclusion.

The Galaxy is in a state of ruin. Although the Star Forge had been destroyed, the Republic and the Jedi Order have been severely crippled and struggle to rebuild from the ashes of war.

To replenish their dwindling numbers, the Jedi Order has been forced to reconsider the training of unfavorable recruits, the most controversial among them being the former students of the Sith Academy and their former instructor, Yuthura Ban.

While many from this group of talented individuals are willing to accept the rules of the Jedi, more and more traditions are being suspended to stimulate their reconstruction efforts...
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Coruscant Entertainment Centre > August '09: The Horrors of Loss