lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Official Indie Game challenge thread!
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 07-22-2009, 10:52 PM   #1
purple_tentacle_

Indie Game Challenge

We're Saving this Spot for You; Enter the Challenge!
Are you developing the next big hit? Enter your game in the Indie Game Challenge for a chance to pitch your game to top publishers, a shot at a scholarship to The Guildhall at SMU, and more. Plus, a Grand Prize of $100,000 will be awarded to the top two developers.

Enter your game by October 1: Details here!

Hey everyone. The add above is for the indie game challenge (Desccribed in the add)

I thought it would be cool to enter some of your "perfect video game" ideas.

Heres the links:

http://indiegamechallenge.com/?or=nl

http://www.lucasforums.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=162626&dateline=12954  72528
"The Simple truth is that we've
lost control of our own borders,
and no nation can do that and survive"
-Ronald Reagan
purple_tentacle_ is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-06-2009, 07:35 PM   #2
purple_tentacle_

Official Indie Game challenge thread!

Show spoiler

INDIE GAME CHALLENGE

Hey everyone! I just got the Gamestop newsletter and there is an advertisment for the 2010 Indie Game challenge. For those of you who dont know what the indie game challenge is you can visit there site. I think this would be the perfect chance for all you designers out there to show off your work and possibly WIN! There is a prize for the winner. So all you game designers get out there do what it is you do best!

Post your game Ideas or show us some of your game creations.

ATTENTION

Please if you do post any images put them in spoiler tags to keap the thread clean and organized so we have a good source of info. If you do not know how to use spoiler tags click here. Thank you purple_tentacle_

http://www.lucasforums.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=162626&dateline=12954  72528
-Ronald Reagan
Old 08-06-2009, 08:39 PM   #3
Fealiks
NAMBLA member

Come on, Guy.Brush, make Half-Life 3.

Or maybe Lucasforums: The Game
Fealiks is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-06-2009, 08:48 PM   #4
purple_tentacle_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fealiks View Post
Come on, Guy.Brush, make Half-Life 3.

Or maybe Lucasforums: The Game
Thats exactly who popped in my mind when I saw this. Hes good...REALY GOOD!!!

-Ronald Reagan
Old 08-06-2009, 08:49 PM   #5
Melancholick
Rookie

Is it too early for Guy.Brush to discuss his revisionist version of KOTOR 2, featuring a point-n'-click interface, bleeding-edge graphics and cameos by Razor and Bernard?
Melancholick is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-06-2009, 09:00 PM   #6
purple_tentacle_

Ok heres my game Idea. I didnt submit it becuase of course there is no way I am going to get even close to creating it but I was thinking of like a new Full Throttle Remake kinda thing. Thats what I kinda had in my mind. Like 3D but not like the Hell on Wheels one. It would be just like the original but a different story line, 3D graphics, new point and click Comands on the bottom with a Rocket dock kinda deal (Comands Ex. Push Pull Talkto and Use), plus a item wheel next to that, and a co-op game mode (Example: First player will be the original Main character [Sorry forgot his name at the time] and an all new character introduced at the start of the game.) It would also include an unlockable Original Full Throttle Game mode just like Lucasarts did with Day of the Tentacle and Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings (DOTT included Maniac Mansion and Staff of Kings included Fate of Atlantis). It would also have a feature that would allow you to download other Sequals/ Episodes ( The game would come with episode one then you can download other ones from the menu option called "Downloads" on the main menu. So You can Download other Episodes and Features.) It would be released for PC, X-Box 360, and Wii. Thats my Idea.

-Ronald Reagan
Old 08-07-2009, 05:11 PM   #7
Scapetti

Official?
Scapetti is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-07-2009, 06:33 PM   #8
jrrtoken

This is the equivalent of asking a spider monkey to develop a thermonuclear weapon by himself alone, with sticks and banana peels for materials, and with a 3-month timeframe. This is impossible, even for a well-organized indie team.

Even if it was possible, my favorite studios (Iron Tower Studios, DoubleBear Productions) are nowhere close to release.
jrrtoken is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-07-2009, 06:51 PM   #9
Ascovel
Rookie

The contest is only for USA residents.

I wouldn't have time to finish my Frantic Franko this quickly anyway.

A Hardy Developer's Journal - blogging about indie adventure games
Ascovel is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-07-2009, 08:26 PM   #10
purple_tentacle_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scapetti View Post
Official?
Not official but I wanted people to post there game Ideas not just look at it and leave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastramiX View Post
This is the equivalent of asking a spider monkey to develop a thermonuclear weapon by himself alone, with sticks and banana peels for materials, and with a 3-month timeframe. This is impossible, even for a well-organized indie team.

Even if it was possible, my favorite studios (Iron Tower Studios, DoubleBear Productions) are nowhere close to release.
Well Its been going on for a while but I thought this would be a good place to post your game Ideas for others to comment on and maby give you some ideas. But this is a yearly competiosion. Its only available for the U.S. I am not sure if there is one for other countrys. I will check it out.

ATTENTION

Please no one spam it up by saying stuff like " This is to small of a timeframe" and stuff. I want this to be a place to post your game Ideas. Thanks

-Ronald Reagan
Old 08-08-2009, 11:01 AM   #11
Fealiks
NAMBLA member

I'd make GTA4 but more colourful and humorous, and I'd make it so you can fly and shoot lasers out of your eyes with which you can blow up buildings (everything would be destructable) and it would be called "Fealiks is awesome". I think I'm up to it.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:12 AM   #12
Longcat

lol. I'd buy that game.

somehow, the word 'indie' and the phrase 'remaking other ppls IP' don't really match up to me. but what the hell do I know.
Longcat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-08-2009, 05:08 PM   #13
Scapetti

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple_tentacle_ View Post
Please no one spam it up by saying stuff like " This is to small of a timeframe" and stuff. I want this to be a place to post your game Ideas. Thanks
No one was intentionally spamming; I suggest you edit your first post...

But anyways, I did actually have an idea for a game today. It's basically one short game but the key "gimmick" is that you select an age certificate at the start and the game is adjusted accordingly

The main story and such stays the same but the game is altered to be more violent or more cuddly depending on the classification. It would be quite fun for a few minutes I reckon ;D
Old 08-08-2009, 05:17 PM   #14
Nickelstein

Current Game: OPF,HL2,Bioshock
My idea is to make an adventure that mixs a Brave New World with the humor of BASS (Beneath A Steel Sky).

"Excuse me sir on behalf of the Internets I must ask you to GTFO and take your FAIL with you. Thank you and please STFU on your way out"
Nickelstein is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-08-2009, 05:25 PM   #15
Scapetti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickelstein View Post
My idea is to make an adventure that mixs a Brave New World with the humor of BASS (Beneath A Steel Sky).
This gave me the idea for a Monkey Island game WITHOUT the humour :O
(I don't just mean not funny and crap, I mean like mother ****in' scary ghost pirates and shiz)
Old 08-08-2009, 05:32 PM   #16
Thrik
Symbolically Compelling

Hot Topic Starter Forum Veteran LFN Staff Member 
That's what Gilbert was making until Schafer and Grossman stuck their oars in.

Thrik is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-08-2009, 05:51 PM   #17
Fealiks
NAMBLA member

If the game was like that it'd be long forgotten by now
Old 08-08-2009, 07:12 PM   #18
Giant Graffiti
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrik View Post
Gross.
Giant Graffiti is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-08-2009, 09:23 PM   #19
Ascovel
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gιygαs View Post
Gross.
Gross-man!

Old 08-08-2009, 09:26 PM   #20
Fealiks
NAMBLA member

Will the puns ever end?
Old 08-08-2009, 10:32 PM   #21
purple_tentacle_

Quote:
No one was intentionally spamming; I suggest you edit your first post...

But anyways, I did actually have an idea for a game today. It's basically one short game but the key "gimmick" is that you select an age certificate at the start and the game is adjusted accordingly

The main story and such stays the same but the game is altered to be more violent or more cuddly depending on the classification. It would be quite fun for a few minutes I reckon ;D
Well what I meant I dont want people to like just talk about the game challenge I want some game Ideas and so far I am liking them. I will edit it add it in.

Quote:
This gave me the idea for a Monkey Island game WITHOUT the humour :O
(I don't just mean not funny and crap, I mean like mother ****in' scary ghost pirates and shiz)
You should add some humor in you know like some movies would be all scary but one small thing could make the theatre crack up and it wouldnt even be that funny. Its because the movie isnt a comedy and you sitting on the edge of your seat and then all the sudden this guy says somthing. Or it might even be justs a character thats not seen alot in the game and when he does pop up he always makes them lough and then he gos away for awhile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gιygαs View Post
Gross.
agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascovel View Post
Gross-man!
Hey whats up with your frantic franko in your signature? I have realy been wondering what it is. Is it a game? Oh and the link is broken or somthing. Can u give me an exact link? Why dont you post about it on here this would be the perfect place. Oh and just to throw this out there I dont want people to be afraid to post there ideas if there afraid that somone is going to steel it (Excuse my spelling just a little summer moosh taking efect.) it would be on here so you have proof its your idea. Thanks

-Ronald Reagan

Last edited by purple_tentacle_; 08-08-2009 at 10:43 PM.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:39 AM   #22
Ascovel
Rookie

Quote:
Hey whats up with your frantic franko in your signature? I have realy been wondering what it is. Is it a game? Oh and the link is broken or somthing. Can u give me an exact link? Why dont you post about it on here this would be the perfect place.
The link wasn't working only for a few hours or so. It works perfectly now. (Btw I've responded to the message you've sent me, but I can see you didn't receive it).

Anyway, Frantic Franko is my own adventure game. With a nasty, half-blind dwarven warrior as the main hero. Currently, I've released a big wip demo (Mojo wrote about it in the news a month ago). The full-version will hopefully have voice-overs. If anyone is interested not only in trying the game out, but also reading about it's development process, I'm keeping a development diary of sorts on my indie adventure gaming website.

Last edited by Ascovel; 08-09-2009 at 05:49 PM.
Old 08-09-2009, 01:11 PM   #23
ThunderPeel2001
Lovebucket

Quote:
Is there any element of truth to this? Or are just trying to say that Grossman and Schafer were funnier than Gilbert? (Just interested.)

ThunderPeel2001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-09-2009, 01:49 PM   #24
Thrik
Symbolically Compelling

Hot Topic Starter Forum Veteran LFN Staff Member 
Yeah, in the Rogue Leaders book. Apparently it was Schafer and Grossman sticking loads of amusing placeholder dialogue in that convinced him to turn it into a comedy.

Thrik is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-09-2009, 01:59 PM   #25
ThunderPeel2001
Lovebucket

Quote:
Yeah, in the Rogue Leaders book. Apparently it was Schafer and Grossman sticking loads of amusing placeholder dialogue in that convinced him to turn it into a comedy.
Just checked my copy... can't see anything that mentions that -- or am I going blind?

Old 08-09-2009, 03:01 PM   #26
neon_git

It doesn't give the source, but the Secret History article says

Quote:
[Tim and Dave] began to write humorous placeholder dialog for the characters to amuse each other. The Scummlets never thought they were doing anything more than fooling around, but when Ron saw the dialog he insisted that it would be part of the actual game.

You mean the way the sea stays steady as a rock and the buildings keep washing up and down? Yes I thought that was odd.
neon_git is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-09-2009, 08:08 PM   #27
Fealiks
NAMBLA member

Cool... that's a nice little factoid.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:58 AM   #28
Apple24
Rookie

Quote:
Anyway, Frantic Franko is my own adventure game. With a nasty, half-blind dwarven warrior as the main hero. Currently, I've released a big wip demo (Mojo wrote about it in the news a month ago). The full-version will hopefully have voice-overs. If anyone is interested not only in trying the game out, but also reading about it's development process, I'm keeping a development diary of sorts on my indie adventure gaming website.
AHA, just figured out what you avitar was! It's a Spoonbeak!
Sorry for the offtopicness, but that had been bugging me for a while, trying to remember where I'd seen it...
Apple24 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-10-2009, 06:50 AM   #29
ThunderPeel2001
Lovebucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by neon_git View Post
[Tim and Dave] began to write humorous placeholder dialog for the characters to amuse each other. The Scummlets never thought they were doing anything more than fooling around, but when Ron saw the dialog he insisted that it would be part of the actual game.
Yeah, but that's a far cry from saying the game was supposed to be serious before they made a joke. It reads to me that their attempts at humour got them a writing gig/credit.

Old 08-10-2009, 02:03 PM   #30
purple_tentacle_

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderPeel2001 View Post
Yeah, but that's a far cry from saying the game was supposed to be serious before they made a joke. It reads to me that their attempts at humour got them a writing gig/credit.
I dont think at all that the game would be seriouse. Thats kinda interesting.

-Ronald Reagan
Old 08-10-2009, 03:12 PM   #31
Ascovel
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple24 View Post
AHA, just figured out what you avitar was! It's a Spoonbeak!
Sorry for the offtopicness, but that had been bugging me for a while, trying to remember where I'd seen it...
Yeah, it's a spoonbeak from my favorite AGS game. I'm glad it was bugging you .

Old 08-10-2009, 04:05 PM   #32
purple_tentacle_

Quote:
Yeah, it's a spoonbeak from my favorite AGS game. I'm glad it was bugging you .
I too was realy curiouse what it was.

Ok to get back on subject here is somthing I whiped up in a couple of seconeds on ms paint to give you guys the basic Idea of what I would do to bring the point and click adventures back in style. First off I need to get some things strait this game image is from the DOTT 2 fan made website. I just altered it and I will have some one make some nice ones for me to give you guys a more accurate Idea. and I will be posting a new game Idea to go along with this.

See the item box thats what this image is suposed to be advertising. Next I am going to do some of my realy amaturish rocket dock idea on ms paint (Dont judge me! ) to advertise the rocketdock idea and then I will try to mash them together (Its hard puting all these ideas in one game) to advertise it all and I will be adding some more ideas.

Now to the game Idea:

Show spoiler

EDIT: Sorry the cirles didnt come out. I will fix it.

EDIT 2: OK fixed. Just added a bunch of = signs.

-Ronald Reagan

Last edited by purple_tentacle_; 08-10-2009 at 04:12 PM.
Old 08-10-2009, 04:09 PM   #33
SyntheticGerbil
Pasta Master

I really doubt Gamestop is accepting homemade games based on existing properties for their challenge.
SyntheticGerbil is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-10-2009, 09:54 PM   #34
purple_tentacle_

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyntheticGerbil View Post
I really doubt Gamestop is accepting homemade games based on existing properties for their challenge.
No the winner will get to work with the pros to make them better and sellable. At least thats the impresion I got. I am pretty sure thats what it is

-Ronald Reagan
Old 08-11-2009, 05:02 PM   #35
ThunderPeel2001
Lovebucket

Quote:
No the winner will get to work with the pros to make them better and sellable. At least thats the impresion I got. I am pretty sure thats what it is
They'll convert it to a FPS for you.

Old 08-11-2009, 05:58 PM   #36
purple_tentacle_

Quote:
They'll convert it to a FPS for you.
Oh ya I realy didnt read the details. Theres no way I would get close to making a video game. Maby if I had my computer up and running I could acctually buy a program and maby take some classes or whatever because I am hoping that video games will be my future but if not computer programing or networking will do.

Hey has anyone in any other countrys found any competitions close to this at there gamestops? I will check it out. Its a yearly thing here in the states but gamestop is worldwide so you would think they would have other game challenges close to this somewhere else.

Oh and one more thing just to say this again please post your game Ideas it would be pretty cool having all your ideas to read and maby give suggestions. Oh and one more thing check out the "Game Suggestions!" thread in the off topic maythem and give your suggestions and ask questions. Thanks

Heres the Registration Form just to give you an Idea of what you would need to enter (Even though theres like only 2 months left.)

Show spoiler

-Ronald Reagan
Old 08-12-2009, 02:56 AM   #37
purple_tentacle_

Hey does anyone have any fan made games that need beta testing or just any fan mades that I can download? Please only post your own fan made. There arent any good games out there to download. They have to be free. Thanks

-Ronald Reagan
Old 08-12-2009, 08:26 AM   #38
ThunderPeel2001
Lovebucket

Blurst.com has plenty of free games (not fan made though). Raptor Safari is especially fun.

Old 08-12-2009, 03:36 PM   #39
purple_tentacle_

Quote:
Blurst.com has plenty of free games (not fan made though). Raptor Safari is especially fun.
Ok thanks. I will check them out.

-Ronald Reagan
Old 08-16-2009, 07:47 PM   #40
manny_c444

Actually there's a Microsoft version of this contest I entered (called Dream Build Play), the deadline just passed.

We needed to cut a trailer as part of the requirements and I thought I'd post it here, since we're all adventure-gamers anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ps5aSXravg&fmt=22
manny_c444 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Mixnmojo.com > Mojo Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Official Indie Game challenge thread!

Tags
indie game challenge