lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Napoleon: Total War
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 08-19-2009, 06:47 PM   #1
Astor
It's Thornhill!

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Napoleon: Total War

Full Story, Trailer and Screenshots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEGA
History is as yet unwritten.

Napoleon: Total War™ is the new chapter in the critically acclaimed Total War series and opens up a new narrative layer to the genre-defining franchise. From the early Italian campaign to the Battle of Waterloo, Napoleon covers two decades of relentless battles, a backdrop of a world in flames against which the story of an extraordinary military career unfolds.
Firstly, I apologise for the following.

OHMYGODTHISISAWESOMEBEYONDWORDS.

Words can't describe how much i'm looking forward to this. I must confess, I had expected any Napoleonic venture to be an expansion to Empire, which would, I think, have neglected the period.

I never would have expected an entirely new chapter in the Total War series, so soon after Empire.

Whether it will be any good, however, is yet to be seen. I can only hope that this will not be tarnished by the same amateur mistakes that hounded the release of Empire, which is still being patched to a workable state.

Updates and New Information as it comes...

Last edited by Astor; 08-19-2009 at 07:29 PM.
Astor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-19-2009, 07:03 PM   #2
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
It was a very good idea to dedicate an entire chapter of the series to the Napoleonic Wars. Looks pretty awesome.

Now if they'd only make a chapter dedicated to the American Civil War...

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-19-2009, 07:11 PM   #3
SW01
3 Years in the Lurk

Current Game: Real Life
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astor Kaine View Post
OHMYGODTHISISAWESOMEBEYONDWORDS.
This exactly.

I can't wait for this to come out either - for all its flaws, I thought Empire a great game. Now that we get to move on to the Napoleonic Wars...well, it's just perfect!

I was really surprised at the idea of this being a new game too - perhaps they've been working on improving the Empire base all this time? Should be great regardless.

It's good that CA is going to contiue support and patching for Empire. I'm sure there are many people who for whatever reason find the American War of Independence more relevant/interesting than the Napoleonic era...

But now a difficult question - what to do first, use Britain to beat Napoleon, or take Napoleon on a conquest of the globe...that's a tough one...

Roll on February!

SW01 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-19-2009, 07:28 PM   #4
Astor
It's Thornhill!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Q View Post
It was a very good idea to dedicate an entire chapter of the series to the Napoleonic Wars. Looks pretty awesome.
Oh, definitely. I'm sure I don't need to explain how much of an impact the French Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars had on Europe and the World in only 20 years.

There's just far too much to include in a mere expansion, so it makes sense on Creative Assembly's part to make it a fully-fledged title of its own.

Quote:
Now if they'd only make a chapter dedicated to the American Civil War...
It's not an unreasonable idea - I for one would certainly play it, but the problem is selling it to a global market. There's just not much interest in the Civil War over here.

But, since Rome, we've seen that the Total War franchise is moving up the historical ladder, so a mid-19th Century Total War might not be as far fetched as it would seem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW01
This exactly.
I just knew you'd share the sentiment.

Quote:
I can't wait for this to come out either - for all its flaws, I thought Empire a great game. Now that we get to move on to the Napoleonic Wars...well, it's just perfect!

I was really surprised at the idea of this being a new game too - perhaps they've been working on improving the Empire base all this time? Should be great regardless.

It's good that CA is going to contiue support and patching for Empire. I'm sure there are many people who for whatever reason find the American War of Independence more relevant/interesting than the Napoleonic era...
This annoucement goes some way in explaining why the patching process for Empire has been...erm... rather slow. They've obviously been busy working on this, AND trying to get Empire to an acceptable standard.

This is only a guess, but I think that they will be using the same engine and most likely graphics for Napoleon - it would make sense, as most of the groundwork is already done - all it would require is new units, a map overhaul and a functioning diplomacy system, something that Empire still unfortunately lacks.

Quote:
But now a difficult question - what to do first, use Britain to beat Napoleon, or take Napoleon on a conquest of the globe...that's a tough one...
Frogs or Lobsters? Difficult decision...

*Hums La Victoire est à Nous...*

Old 08-19-2009, 08:25 PM   #5
The Betrayer
Forumite

Current Game: The Godfather II
Helpful! 
I love the Total War series, and I hope this will not be an exception.

*crosses fingers for WWII:Total War*

OMNIA MUTANTUR NIHIL INTERIT.
The Betrayer is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-19-2009, 08:55 PM   #6
stingerhs
Follow the Wolves

Current Game: Dead Space
Forum Veteran Roleplayer LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
dude, you just made my day. when ETW came out, i was thinking to myself how awesome a Napoleonic Wars based expansion would be. now, its in the works, so i am officially excited for this one.

just two things that i want first:

please, please fix the AI issues, and fix the memory issues (i'm tired of my games crashing around 1789 or so).

See the struggle of the faithless lot as they negate their time
How low to sink to the depths of their frame of mind

stingerhs is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-19-2009, 11:32 PM   #7
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

10 year veteran! 
I still have to play Empire (after I get a g-card), but this sounds well to me. I was expecting a new era though.

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-20-2009, 12:06 AM   #8
Litofsky
Galaxial

It looks promising, but, then again, so did Empire. I'm not going to be holding my breath, but I'll be keeping tabs on its progress.
Litofsky is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-20-2009, 02:23 AM   #9
cire992

Been playing the series since Medieval, still like Rome and Medieval II the best. Empire bored me to tears, and this doesn't exactly peak my enthusiasm, either.

"My blasters are always set to stun, princess."
cire992 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-20-2009, 05:20 AM   #10
Astor
It's Thornhill!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingerhs View Post
just two things that i want first:

please, please fix the AI issues, and fix the memory issues (i'm tired of my games crashing around 1789 or so).
CA are claiming that Napoleon will possess a 'Revolutionary AI', but then again, this is hardly indicative, as most games claim to have that on release.

And I agree with you on the memory issue - i've only had the odd crashed savegame, but it is upsetting when you worked so hard to build your Empire only for it to be inaccessible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth View Post
I still have to play Empire (after I get a g-card), but this sounds well to me. I was expecting a new era though.
Well, in many respects, it is a new era, even if it's more of a transitional one. But I also thought that the next title in the series would portray a different time period, far removed from that of Empire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litofsky View Post
It looks promising, but, then again, so did Empire. I'm not going to be holding my breath, but I'll be keeping tabs on its progress.
You're not the only one, Litofksy. I am a little hesitant about this announcement, coming only 5 months after the release of Empire.

It's also split quite a lot of (mostly melodramatic) community at large, especially those who feel 'betrayed' (far too strong a word, and quite ridiculous) by CA regarding Empire. CA made some terrible mistakes with Empire, but they've been working pretty hard to remedy the problems (even making it up to fans by giving them free units in one patch).

I guess we'll have to wait till February to see whether the caution is well-founded, and if this move really is 'blatant profiteering', as I saw one disgruntled fan put it.

I'm hoping it will be a success, but only time will tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cire992 View Post
Been playing the series since Medieval, still like Rome and Medieval II the best. Empire bored me to tears, and this doesn't exactly peak my enthusiasm, either.
It's certainly true that the 18th Century and Napoleonic Era don't have the same mass appeal as the Roman Empire or Medieval Europe, but it's nonetheless a welcome addition to the Total War series.

Old 08-20-2009, 05:43 AM   #11
SW01
3 Years in the Lurk

Quote:
It's certainly true that the 18th Century and Napoleonic Era don't have the same mass appeal as the Roman Empire or Medieval Europe, but it's nonetheless a welcome addition to the Total War series.
Strangely (or perhaps not), I felt a little let-down when Empire was (firstly) not set in the Napoleonic era, and (secondly) that no transition occurred in-game to bring us into that era. Actually, the lack of any historical changes at all over the hundred plus year period (I had one game go well into the 1820s before abandoning it) was disappointing generally - even comparitively small things, like the lack of an Act of Union in 1801 were irksome.

And what do you think? Will we get Sharpe's Rifles this time? Certainly I'd be pleased to see a unit for Nosey as well as Boney.

Old 08-20-2009, 07:52 AM   #12
Astor
It's Thornhill!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW01 View Post
Strangely (or perhaps not), I felt a little let-down when Empire was (firstly) not set in the Napoleonic era, and (secondly) that no transition occurred in-game to bring us into that era. Actually, the lack of any historical changes at all over the hundred plus year period (I had one game go well into the 1820s before abandoning it) was disappointing generally - even comparitively small things, like the lack of an Act of Union in 1801 were irksome.
A bit more historical variety would have been most welcome - I for one would have liked to see a change in uniforms between 1740-50, when military fashion underwent some radical changes.

Quote:
And what do you think? Will we get Sharpe's Rifles this time? Certainly I'd be pleased to see a unit for Nosey as well as Boney.
I'm not too sure about Sharpe himself, but we're almost certainly going to see rifle regiments included, maybe even with the 95th included as a unique unit.

Anyway, on to some news.

Quote:
Battle As or Against the Legendary General in Napoleon: Total War™

LONDON & SAN FRANCISCO
(August 19th, 2009) – SEGA® Europe Ltd. and SEGA® of America, Inc. today announced Napoleon: Total War, the first in an all-new story driven branch of The Creative Assembly’s multi-award winning Total War RTS franchise. Napoleon: Total War will keep the franchise’s genre-leading 3D battles on both land and sea. The turn-based campaign is split into three different story-driven campaigns, telling the story of the rise and fall of Napoleon Bonaparte through his most famous battles.

In Napoleon: Total War, aspiring generals have the opportunity to play as the legendary French general Napoleon Bonaparte or as opposing forces. Battling through Napoleon’s three biggest military campaigns, the game will take you through Italy and Egypt, narrating the early years of the fearsome commander, while the third campaign will tell the story of his fateful drive towards Moscow and, ultimately, his showdown with the Duke of Wellington at one of the most famous battles of all – The Battle of Waterloo.

“In Napoleon: Total War you get to actually be Napoleon - to face the problems he faced, to win the battles he won, and to build the Empire he built. Or better,” commented Mike Simpson, Creative Director at The Creative Assembly’s and father of the Total War franchise. “However, the game allows you to step in the shoes of his opposing generals as well, allowing the player to rewrite history as they see fit.”

Napoleon: Total War expands on the successful Total War series by taking all the features from previous games such as the full 3D land and naval battles, the detailed campaign map, and an in depth diplomacy system and expanding it even further.

Napoleon: Total War hits shelves in first quarter 2010.

Source.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:03 AM   #13
Astor
It's Thornhill!

Double post, I know, but IGN has a very interesting article regarding Napoleon, and I feel it's better suited to a new post as opposed to hacking the information in it onto the last one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran Bridgen
"The way that Total War development works is we do a kind of evolution-revolution cycle. We create revolutionary technology for one title - in this case Empire, which had a brand new engine written from the ground up - and all new AI. Then, for the next game, we take that technology and evolve it - in this case with Napoleon. We've taken everything we've achieved with Empire and Empire's engine and just pushed it to the limit. Napoleon is essentially the culmination of what we wanted to do with Empire, given the time to take it further."
Quote:
Originally Posted by IGN Article
Like previous instalments, Napoleon will be a mix of turn-based and real-time strategy, with gamers first of all taking time to plan their strategy down to the tiniest detail before switching to the midst of the battlefield, commanding troops in real-time as they fight on your orders. Infantry, cavalry and ships will all be unique to the instalment and altogether there will be a total of 322 new units to command. On the subject of hard stats, up to a maximum of 10,000 men will appear on screen at one time, depending on the settings and PC specs, although this time round Creative Assembly will be adding more variety in the way the men look, with the aim being to eliminate the 'clone army' problem. Indeed, the game will mix and match different body parts to make soldiers look individual and unique, with 64 different faces on offer even on the very lowest settings.
Quote:
The hugely popular naval battles will return again in Napoleon, although some may question their inclusion. "Although Napoleon is not famous for his naval engagements or his naval superiority, that's not to say that the player cannot reverse that and play it their own way," explains Brigden. It's possible if you are a good tactician to beat the British on the high seas, and Napoleon famously said, 'Give me control of the channel for six hours and I will have Britain in less than a week!', but of course the British Navy never let him do it."
Quote:
The first will be the Italian Campaign, set between 1796 and 1797. Here we join Napoleon as he is given command of the French army in Italy.

The second campaign will be the Middle Eastern campaign, set during the three years between 1798 and 1801, with players assuming control of Napoleon as he sails to Alexandria to attempt to take the countries of the Middle East and bring back their treasures for France.

The final campaign is the Grand Campaign, taking place between 1805 and 1812, which will show Napoleon's ultimate realisation of his ambition in Europe.
Quote:
"Because it's building on the technology that we've already established with Empire, it won't take so long. February's what we're aiming for at the moment and we're making good guns. Obviously, with these things nothing's written in stone and it'll be down to quality, essentially.
I feel that last line may have been ill-chosen by Mr. Bridgen.

The full article, which is packed with even more information can be found here.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:05 PM   #14
SW01
3 Years in the Lurk

Quote:
there will be a total of 322 new units to command...up to a maximum of 10,000 men will appear on screen at one time...64 different faces
Will be extremely impressive indeed - if they manage to actually do it. Hopefully, the 322 means we'll have more uniqueness within armies. Having 5000 a side would look incredible!

Quote:
naval battles will return again in Napoleon
I should very much hope so. Adding such impressive new features then taking them away is an unforgivable developer sin!

Quote:
The final campaign is the Grand Campaign, taking place between 1805 and 1812, which will show Napoleon's ultimate realisation of his ambition in Europe.
Hmmm...sounds short. Unless it is set up with many turns per year. That is one of the (many) problems I had with the Alexander expansion. Ah well, I'm sure we can trust to a helpful modder to open up a much larger Grand Campaign!

Thanks for putting up those parts of the article Astor - very interesting.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:24 PM   #15
Astor
It's Thornhill!

Quote:
Will be extremely impressive indeed - if they manage to actually do it. Hopefully, the 322 means we'll have more uniqueness within armies. Having 5000 a side would look incredible!
That it would. It still won't be able capture the grand scale of Napoleonic Warfare - after all, more than 150,000 troops fought at battles such as Austerlitz, Vitoria, Jena-Auerstedt and Borodino (which saw nearly 300,000 men take to the field).

Even if it can't recreate the scale, it can certainly recreate the pomp and pageantry that is so often associated with armies of the time (particularly those dashing Hussars, festooned in gold braid and furs).

Quote:
I should very much hope so. Adding such impressive new features then taking them away is an unforgivable developer sin!
And especially when two of the greatest battles of the Age of Sail (The Glorious First of June, and of course, Trafalgar) took place during this period!

Quote:
Hmmm...sounds short. Unless it is set up with many turns per year. That is one of the (many) problems I had with the Alexander expansion. Ah well, I'm sure we can trust to a helpful modder to open up a much larger Grand Campaign!
I would expect that each turn would likely represent a month, but even then, that would only be 84 turns of play, which is still alarmingly short. I would agree with you on trusting modders, but having seen the vitriol pouring out from some community sites, it might be a while before anyone does think about modding it.

Quote:
Thanks for putting up those parts of the article Astor - very interesting.
As always, you're welcome.

Old 08-20-2009, 01:55 PM   #16
jawathehutt
Its 5 o'clock somewhere

Current Game: Age of Empires II
I haven't bought a total war since Shogun but this may be the one that will convince me to.

"Everyone that posts here is aware of the game, thanks though." ET
"It is Lucasarts"~ LordJhredmo
jawathehutt is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-20-2009, 02:13 PM   #17
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

10 year veteran! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jawathehutt View Post
I haven't bought a total war since Shogun but this may be the one that will convince me to.
You mean you've missed out on every great Total War game ever made?

Old 08-20-2009, 02:13 PM   #18
SW01
3 Years in the Lurk

Quote:
That it would. It still won't be able capture the grand scale of Napoleonic Warfare - after all, more than 150,000 troops fought at battles such as Austerlitz, Vitoria, Jena-Auerstedt and Borodino (which saw nearly 300,000 men take to the field).
*Imagines 300,000 on screen at once - sees social schedule evaporate*

Perhaps in Empire II: Total War?

Quote:
And especially when two of the greatest battles of the Age of Sail (The Glorious First of June, and of course, Trafalgar) took place during this period!
Chance to finally have a Battle of Trafalgar set-battle, maybe...

I'll be intrigued to see if CA adds any more depth to naval battle - it's great fun as it is, but can sometimes get a bit samey - though that may be to do with lacklustre enemy naval AI.

Old 08-20-2009, 03:29 PM   #19
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
It's not only that. While what you just said is perfectly true in general, much regarding the game mechanics was a huge letdown. I thought it was only me initially, due to the hype, but once I accessed their forums one week past the release and people were almost rioting there, I could see more clearly how they screwed it badly.

Still, reminds me of the Alexander expansion pack back in RTW. I might consider getting it, if they do solve the crashing issues, that is.

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-20-2009, 03:45 PM   #20
purifier
Forumite

LF Jester 
Quote:

Surely you bought Medieval: Total War or maybe even the Expansion Pack: Viking Invasion too add to it.

If you didn't, oh man....you don't know what your missing, it's even better than Shogun. Well I take that back, Medieval II is even better, as for the rest, meh...there okay.

SITH HAPPENS
purifier is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-20-2009, 07:05 PM   #21
stingerhs
Follow the Wolves

Quote:
seriously, go buy Rome: Total War. like right freakin' now. you won't be disappointed.

Old 08-20-2009, 07:51 PM   #22
Astor
It's Thornhill!

Quote:
I can only refer you to stinger's comment -

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingerhs View Post
seriously, go buy Rome: Total War. like right freakin' now. you won't be disappointed.
It's well worth a look, it offers a lot for its price - I bought it when it came out, and have gotten more than my money's worth out of it.

Quote:
Perhaps in Empire II: Total War?
We should be so lucky!

Quote:
Chance to finally have a Battle of Trafalgar set-battle, maybe...

I'll be intrigued to see if CA adds any more depth to naval battle - it's great fun as it is, but can sometimes get a bit samey - though that may be to do with lacklustre enemy naval AI.
Quite possibly - I would like to see coastlines - the hazards of running aground would add a whole new element to naval combat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctrl Alt Del View Post
It's not only that. While what you just said is perfectly true in general, much regarding the game mechanics was a huge letdown. I thought it was only me initially, due to the hype, but once I accessed their forums one week past the release and people were almost rioting there, I could see more clearly how they screwed it badly.
Their anger was justified in many ways, but overblown in many cases, and CA have held their hands up and admitted mistakes were made. It doesn't excuse the fact that it was (and to many, still is) a shambles, but they're working on it - but that's too little, too late for some people i've spoken with.

Quote:
Still, reminds me of the Alexander expansion pack back in RTW. I might consider getting it, if they do solve the crashing issues, that is.
Apparently, they've been working on this for a while - before Empire was even released, so i'd hope that they'll have enough time iron out the problems with this, and perhaps make Napoleon the game that Empire should have been.

Old 08-21-2009, 12:07 AM   #23
LordOfTheFish

Current Game: Tomb Raider
Forum Veteran 
Oh yes. This game looks great. I still need to purchase and play Empire, when I remember to that is.

LordOfTheFish is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-21-2009, 07:25 AM   #24
Astor
It's Thornhill!

Yet more news!

Two articles to look at today, and we'll start with Gamespot's impressions, which contains an interesting revelation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamespot
The game will also offer a technical leap over the last entry in the series, Empire: Total War. Improvements to unit rendering mean that you can actually see the faces of your men, while particle effects such as smoke and clouds are also vastly improved. Best of all, owners of Empire will be able to upgrade their existing game with the new Napoleon engine, giving Empire a new visual lease on life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamespot
there will be complete seasonal changes as you play. This in turn will affect the weather, and the rain will affect weapons that use gunpowder, for example.

Gamespot Article.

Already, it is apparent that Napoleon's engine is markedly different to Empire's, and weather effects sound like a brilliant addition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurogamer
One old environment factor which has been re-embraced is Rome and Medieval's concept of pillage. Occupying a territory means you can gain gradual bonuses from its resources, but a quick and dirty plunder will net you much more far more quickly. Of course, attempting to govern a people whose fields and towns have been looted by your troops presents its own problems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurogamer
Units are no longer the same across factions, either; Prussian infantrymen will be differently skilled than their British counterparts, meaning that generals must learn the particular foibles of each to ensure maximum tactical efficiency. For example, men of the Russian line may not be as well-drilled as the Prussians, resulting in slightly higher reload times, but their morale and close-combat skills are better instead, meaning they're more likely to withstand the deadly cavalry charges of the era.
Eurogamer Article

Also, I have it on good authority that each turn shall represent 2 weeks of game time - making for around 182 turns in the Grand Campaign - not too far off the 200 turns it takes to play the 18th Century in Empire.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:47 AM   #25
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

10 year veteran! 
I really hope they care of that unit-sprite thing. Then I'd definitely get both Empire and this, the engine advancements sound great. Different-faced units is something I've been dying to see in strategy games for years.

Old 08-21-2009, 12:25 PM   #26
SW01
3 Years in the Lurk

Quote:
owners of Empire will be able to upgrade their existing game with the new Napoleon engine, giving Empire a new visual lease on life.
That will be most interesting to see. It's a good move on CA's part, I say. Hopefully that will mean an instant fix to many annoying little bugs - like diplomacy on a whim. Or cannon firing if/when they please.

Quote:
weather effects sound like a brilliant addition.
Indeed - it would be good to see upgraded locks actually giving a greater tactical advantage in bad weather.

Quote:
Also, I have it on good authority that each turn shall represent 2 weeks of game time - making for around 182 turns in the Grand Campaign - not too far off the 200 turns it takes to play the 18th Century in Empire.
That's definitely good to hear - I was worried that we were going to have another Alexander, where you are finished in a couple of days and never want to go back...

I agree with you Astor - this is (sounding like) what Empire should have been. And coastline hazards - I very much hope we see them. In the .loc files, there are actually some lines for, I assume, the help popups that relate to running aground and shallow water - sounds like it was cut during development, which makes me hope CA put it back in this time.

I really want to see a naval screenshot - to see if the Royal Navy officers are in the correct uniform!

Old 08-21-2009, 04:51 PM   #27
ARC Cody
Rookie

I can't believe it. How can CA, in good conscience, release a new game when Empire still has so many little, and a few not so little, bugs and unresolved issues. They plan on releasing a full blown sequel less than a year after ETW was shipped out, despite the fact that there was a gap of several years between all of the previous incarnations, which leads me to conclude that they couldn't have spent much time refining ETW, as they were too busy developing this. CA has become all about the money.
ARC Cody is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-21-2009, 07:01 PM   #28
Astor
It's Thornhill!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARC Cody View Post
I can't believe it. How can CA, in good conscience, release a new game when Empire still has so many little, and a few not so little, bugs and unresolved issues.
For their part, Creative Assembly have pledged to continue to support and improve Empire. They're by no means abandoning it.

Quote:
They plan on releasing a full blown sequel less than a year after ETW was shipped out, despite the fact that there was a gap of several years between all of the previous incarnations, which leads me to conclude that they couldn't have spent much time refining ETW, as they were too busy developing this.
Creative Assembly have said that they had been working on both Empire and Napoleon concurrently - and although CA may be a relatively small company, with around 120 employees, that's more enough for them to have two teams working on both refining and patching Empire and developing Napoleon.

I hope i'm not coming across as a hopeless fanboy, but I really do think that the community should give CA the chance to put right their mistakes, especially when they have been shown to do this already.

Old 08-21-2009, 07:13 PM   #29
stingerhs
Follow the Wolves

^^^^
i absolutely agree. CA has a good history of supporting their games well after the release date with updates that address anything and everything from simple bugs all the way up to balancing issues with "uber-units" that people would spam their armies with in multiplayer skirmishes.

i can think back to Rome: Total War when that game had a lot of issues early on in its release, and its a similar situation to where we are now with ETW. the issues come with a new engine since there's so many variables to account for in the PC gaming market.

just my take on the issue.

Old 08-29-2009, 01:22 PM   #30
Astor
It's Thornhill!

There's a very nice 6 page spread in this month's issue of PC Gamer about Napoleon. Obviously, I can't write the whole thing out, but i'll put up some of the more interesting parts.

Firstly, a mention of the attrition system -

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC Gamer
The reason you won't be able to stomp around Napoleon's campaign maps crushing all with your towering superkillstacks is the reason Napoleon couldn't do it in real life. Supplies.

In 1812 Boney's Grande Armee was reduced from a 550,000 strong juggernaut to a 12,000-weak shadow in a matter of months. The enemy that wrought this carnage wasn't the Brits, the Austrians of the Russians (though they did help a bit). It was an alliance of starvation, disease and bitter, bitter cold. Attrition to you and me.

Units operating in enemy territory will melt away like snowflakes on a hot cannon barrel if not marched via villages, towns or supply depots(a new placeable structure type).
A little bit about diplomacy it sounds like it might be more useful this time around (I should hope so, seeing as diplomacy was almost as valuable to Napoleon as his military strength) -

Quote:
And as the six 'Wars of Coalition' fought against Napoleonic France amply testify, diplomacy was always important to Boney's opponents. Play Britain, Prussia or Austria, and you're going to stand little chance if you allow the alliance that exists at the start of the campaign to fissure and fail.
A little about the use of agents in Napoleon -

Quote:
Agents are another area where change is in the air. Preachers won't be able to work their corrosive magic, so they're out. The rake transmutes into our old friend the spy, albeit with some new talents. As well as being able to slip into an enemy encampment to gather intel, he'll be able to delay armies through sabotage.

Gentlemen remain, but should be more useful, thanks to an ability to pen and distribute rabble-rousing pamphlets.
Finally! Pamphleteers!

Some info on Generals -

Quote:
CA, inspired by the example of Boney himself, are keen to put battlefield leaders centre-stage again. The phrase 'warrior kings' was mentioned. They haven't quite decided how this is to be achieved, but don't be surprised if your Wellingtons and Alexander I's have potent special powers' buttons.
A little bit about the uniforms of troops -

Quote:
There's the Brunswickers with their goth togs and silver deaths-head cap badges, there's Napoleon's Old Guard with their red-plumed bearskins, and the Highlanders in their extraordinary feathered bonnets. Most of the folk that die in a Napoleon Total War scrap will die dapper.
A little about Naval action and historical battles -

Quote:
Naval action will obviously play a role in the Egyptian and Grand Campaign, but beyond some surprising talk of ironclad units and the news that Trafalgar will feature in the historical scraps, there wasn't much reason for desktop Hornblowers to dance the hornbrace or splice the mainpipe.

The contents of the historical battle folder - inexcusably empty in Empire - have yet to be finalised, but that famous engagement fought at South London's busiest rail terminal will almost certainly make it.

And a closing remark, reminiscent of the same preview of Empire this time last year -

Quote:
Though it's barely more than a concept at present and there's still plenty of room for Retreat From Moscow-sized screw-ups, I'd be deeply if it didn't turn out to be one of the most startling and satisfying strategy experiences of 2010.
I apologise if there are any spelling mistakes; as i've had to type it out from the magazine. It's a really englightening article, which is full of so much more information, but I obviously can't type out the whole thing (although the thought had crossed my mind ).

If you want to see it for yourself, the article is in the October 2009 issue of PC Gamer (in the UK at least - but i'd imagine a similar, if not the same article will be appearing in the international versions very soon.)

The screenshots are very nice, but they still don't feel right to my eyes. Napoleon looks very authoritative on his horse, but why is he not mounted on Marengo? The Carabiniers shown in some of the first screenshots should have white coats, and the British infantry in some of the more recent screenshots, while looking nice, all seem to wear blue trousers coupled with a bizarre silk sash around the waist.

Ah well, just the rantings of a stickler for accuracy. The Uniform Editor that's said to be included with Napoleon will soon correct any mistakes.

AK.

Last edited by Astor; 08-29-2009 at 02:49 PM.
Old 08-29-2009, 02:19 PM   #31
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

10 year veteran! 
Quote:
When I was of a much younger age, I'd only heard the name of the Battle of Trafalgar, and the only Trafalgar I knew was the square, from Midtown Madness 2. Later, I picked up that a certain Nelson had commandeered a victorious ship in it, which made me guess that the battle took place in the Thames.

I'm speechless today.

Old 08-29-2009, 02:47 PM   #32
SW01
3 Years in the Lurk

Quote:
Units operating in enemy territory will melt away like snowflakes on a hot cannon barrle if not marched via villages, towns or supply depots(a new placeable structure type).
Ah good - I was wondering how General Winter was going to make his appearance! The Russian campaign would be rather false and boring without it, of course...

Old 08-30-2009, 11:50 AM   #33
Astor
It's Thornhill!

Quote:
Ah good - I was wondering how General Winter was going to make his appearance! The Russian campaign would be rather false and boring without it, of course...
I'm not sure if it definitely means that winter will play a part in your attrition casualties, but we can hope.

Nonetheless, a functioning supply system has been something that people have been asking for for some time - so at least Creative Assembly is listening (sort of).

As an aside, PC Gamer has a page of (hilarious) misinformation about Napoleon on the last page of this issue. Some of the gems -
  • Despite fighting the English, he was born in Dorchester, moving to France aged three.
  • Napoleon's first wife, Joséphine de Beauharnais, was technically an arachnid.
  • Napoleon Bonaparte's middle name was Mary, although he would tell people it was Malcolm.
  • Napoleon managed Ozzy Osbourne's early career.
  • Napoleon's second wife, Marie Louise of Austria, was a cumulonimbus cloud formation he had mistaken for a person. His friends knew, but never said.
  • Napoleon's descendents include Fiona Bruce and Margaret Thatcher.
  • He was allergic to Maltesers.
  • He was the first naval commander to use ships. Previous generals had attempted to march their armies into the sea and fight underwater - with limited success.
  • And, most importantly, he cheated at draughts.

AK.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:14 AM   #34
Astor
It's Thornhill!

N:TW Interview at Sega.co.uk

Sega have added an exclusive interview with Kieran Bridgen, Creative Assembly's Communication Manager.

Napoleon: Total War Interview

So, far, they're very keen to stress that Napoleon is going to be a perfection of Empire - which reinforces the belief that Empire was (rightly or wrongly) a test.

But then again, that's how Creative Assembly have often worked - Revolution, then Evolution (For instance, Rome was good, but Medieval II blew it out of the water).

Other things to take from the interview - it's incredibly likely that Britain, Austria and Russia will be playable factions in the Grand Campaign. No mention of Prussia, but Prussia was a fairly consistent thorn in Napoleon's side, so i'd be surprised if they weren't playable.

ALL of Napoleon's major battles will be included as historical battles, and can be playable from either side. This is great, because we won't be forced to play from one perspective any more. No mention of the Peninsula War, but it's likely too early for any major announcements.

And again, at the end, he seems very quick to almost disregard Empire, which I find almost distressing, considering that it still needs work to make it what it should be.

AK.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:25 AM   #35
e-varmint
Vapid Pomposticator

Current Game: Dragon Age
Helpful! 
I am also liking the looks of this game. I even have a new avatar prepared:

I just watched the entire Horatio Hornblower series that A&E did, so I'm psyched for some Napoleonic War action!
e-varmint is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-19-2009, 08:43 PM   #36
Astor
It's Thornhill!

Napoleon: Total War Impressions at Gamespot.

I was beginning to get worried. This is the first thing i've seen since September relating to N:TW.

Link

Apart from a few accuracy problems, and spelling mistakes, an interesting read. And it has some very lovely screenshots, like the one above, and this interesting one of the campaign map.

They sound very confident that it'll be coming early next year - I'm a little wary of such an early release, especially considering all the bugs that Empire had on release.

Old 11-19-2009, 10:02 PM   #37
Litofsky
Galaxial

It looks very cool, indeed. However, as you said, Empire had numerous bugs, glitches, etc. I'd rather them push it back a month to polish, but as CA's blog told us, SEGA's calling the shots.

At any rate, I'd love to see some of the concerns that I've seen addressed, especially involving the smaller bugs that really dull the shine of the game (I, for instance, would love to see the return of the crossed swords to mark heroic victories, and the reduction of such victories to rather rare; repairing forts would be another thing to be solved; diplomacy needs no mention [number one on my list to be fixed]).

Nonetheless, it's nice to see some updates! Thanks for posting this, Astor.
Litofsky is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-26-2009, 08:24 PM   #38
Astor
It's Thornhill!

Some news on exclusive pre-order units (for the UK at least - I'd appreciate it if one of our friends across the pond could fill in the blanks for US exclusive units). And the different versions of the game that will be available on release.

First, exclusive units -

HMS Elephant: HMS Elephant is a ship of the line with an impressive broadside at close range. Good sailing qualities are secondary to the weight of broadside that she can both deliver and withstand. - Available with both standard and Imperial editions from GAME

Grand Battery of the Convention: With twice as many guns as an ordinary artillery unit, the Grand Battery is an exceptionally strong unit. Its cannons have both a long range and tremendous killing power. - Available with both standard and Imperial editions from Amazon.co.uk

Towarczys: The Towarczys lancers are a unique force in Prussian service: fast moving, and with high morale thanks to their self-belief. Trained to attack at the full gallop, their lances give them an advantage in the first few moments of hand-to-hand combat. - Available with both standard and Imperial editions from Play.com

Royal Scots Greys: The Scots Greys are a heavy dragoon unit that can also be used as effective shock cavalry. The men of the Greys are each armed with a flintlock carbine and the standard British heavy cavalry sword, a man-killing butcher’s blade of a sword when used from horseback in close combat. - Available with both standard and Imperial editions from Steam

And some info on the Imperial Edition:

Quote:
The Imperial Edition is the collector’s version of Napoleon: Total War. The box copy version contains the full game in a special premium packaging, complete with an illustrated wallchart biography of Napoleon Bonaparte and a STEAM unlock code that can be used to download two exclusive unit packs.

The “Heroes of the Napoleonic Wars” pack gathers the most superb infantry and cavalrymen who fought during the great Napoleonic battles: 10 exclusive units, which will all make a difference during key engagements, whether using formidable weapons or exceptional tactical skills.

The “Elite Regiment” pack is a collection of 5 of the most Elite Forces of the Napoleonic Wars, from all the major European factions. They proved their bravery, discipline and excellence in key battles and will dramatically expand the player’s strategic options on the battlefield.

These exclusive elite units become available on the campaign map once you have made a specific technological advancement or own the relevant territory, and can be used in single- or multiplayer games.
I fail to see the point of the exclusive pre-order units, seeing as CA then proceeded to release those same units on Steam for everyone, so I think it would have been better if they were just part of a DLC pack after release.

The Imperial edition looks interesting, but again, these 'exclusive unit packs' will likely be available to all a few months after release. But, i'm a sucker, so I think i'll just go and make my pre-order...

Old 11-27-2009, 05:26 AM   #39
SW01
3 Years in the Lurk

The Imperial Edition definitely looks nice - though as you say, it is tempting also to just go for the normal edition and then get the other units when/if CA puts them on Steam. The choice of a difference in price of a tenner or a couple of quid is compelling...

Though, it is very tempting to go for that edition - Empire became more interesting, imo, once nations had very unique units (mods help though ), so it might be better having them from the get-go. Certainly, I had been considering buying the Special Forces edition after I bought the standard edition to get the new units, but then CA went and did something nice by putting them up as DLC!

Now...the tricky bit...pre-orders. Promise of a nice unique unit makes it much more worthwhile to do, but causes a serious dilemma - which one???

I think I'd probably go for the Royal Scots Greys. It would be between that and Elephant to me, and land units look nicer and (generally) more distinctive than ships (Victory, for instance - only difference was the wrong figurehead...). Though that's from Steam which means trying to download a likely very large game.

On second thought, I'd probably end up with the Elephant and hope that all of these ended up as DLC too!

Old 11-27-2009, 05:51 AM   #40
Astor
It's Thornhill!

Quote:
The Imperial Edition definitely looks nice - though as you say, it is tempting also to just go for the normal edition and then get the other units when/if CA puts them on Steam. The choice of a difference in price of a tenner or a couple of quid is compelling...
I'm leaning more towards the Imperial edition, mainly because Total War is my favourite game franchise, and I did get the Special Forces Edition of Empire (more money than sense, I think ).

Quote:
Though that's from Steam which means trying to download a likely very large game.

On second thought, I'd probably end up with the Elephant and hope that all of these ended up as DLC too!
I think I shall be pre-ordering from GAME for pretty much the same reasons - if it's anywhere near the size of Empire, it'd take me more than a day to download (it took me 7 hours to download the demo for Empire, and that was only a little more than a Gigabyte).

Anyways, a quick look at game reveals the special units available in the Imperial Edition -

Heroes of the Napoleonic Wars

Show spoiler

Elite Regiments

Show spoiler

So, a plethora of units available with the Imperial edition (and, i'm pleased to see a good variety of cavalry units) - although I feel there is one glaring omission, and i'm sure SW01 will agree with me on this one - where are the 95th Rifles, damnit?

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > The Outlander Club > Napoleon: Total War