lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Napoleon: Total War
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 11-27-2009, 09:19 AM   #41
SW01
3 Years in the Lurk

Current Game: Real Life
Okay, the inclusion of the Connaught Rangers might just tip the balance in favour of the Imperial edition! (Still hoping to see some more Irish units included in the UK roster - Inniskilling Dragoons and the Royal Irish Regiment (18th Foot) for starters. Royal Irish Rifles would be nice too!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astor
there is one glaring omission, and i'm sure SW01 will agree with me on this one - where are the 95th Rifles, damnit?
Indeed! Can't have the Napoleonic Wars without the 95th's sharpshooters to snipe Napoleonic Generals at 300+ yards.

I'm really starting to lean towards GAME as well - £40 doesn't seem too bad for the Imperial Edition (pre-order)

SW01 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-27-2009, 11:26 AM   #42
Astor
It's Thornhill!

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SW01 View Post
Okay, the inclusion of the Connaught Rangers might just tip the balance in favour of the Imperial edition! (Still hoping to see some more Irish units included in the UK roster - Inniskilling Dragoons and the Royal Irish Regiment (18th Foot) for starters. Royal Irish Rifles would be nice too!)
That would be good, as the Irish regiments were at the forefront of a lot of the fighting, and their reputations were well-earned. Although, I fear they won't be included by CA (I seem to remember that there were a lot of complaints about Britain getting more 'unique' units in Empire - although they seem to be very evenly spread between the major factions so far)

One thing is certain, however - if they're not included by CA, there'll be a mod for it.

Quote:
Indeed! Can't have the Napoleonic Wars without the 95th's sharpshooters to snipe Napoleonic Generals at 300+ yards.
They've probably already got Rifle units in the game, yet I would have thought that the 95th would have been top of the list for 'special' units. Oh well, mods once again...

Quote:
I'm really starting to lean towards GAME as well - £40 doesn't seem too bad for the Imperial Edition (pre-order)
It's a pretty good price - about the same as Special Forces for Empire, and there's a lot more in the Imperial Edition than there was for Special Forces.

Astor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-27-2009, 05:15 PM   #43
mur'phon
Whale eating vegetarian

Forum Veteran 
Nice, though I'm not sure if the "good for chasing down artilery" part of the description of some units applies to the Grand Battery of the Convention. Having husars charge into grapeshot tend to be a bit of a gamble even in Empire, doing it against twice the number of guns seems, well a waste of flashy uniforms.
mur'phon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-28-2009, 06:02 PM   #44
Darth_sidek
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Q View Post
It was a very good idea to dedicate an entire chapter of the series to the Napoleonic Wars. Looks pretty awesome.

Now if they'd only make a chapter dedicated to the American Civil War...
Meh, that'd be too small IMO... I say they make one that covers all the wars in NA for a while, starting with the war between the French and British in Canada (Ending at Quebec, with Wolfe's defeat) and going through the American War for Independence. The first part is a war sadly devoid of any war games. I guess they'd need a food-for-troops component to the game to really capture the spirit, because several major battles in that period were lost or won or almost lost/won because of lack of food and ships not being able to go into Quebec during the winter: EX http://www.britishbattles.com/battle-of-quebec.htm, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invasio...ada_%281775%29

And yes, all my examples are in Canada... it's the history I know best.
Darth_sidek is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-17-2009, 04:31 PM   #45
Astor
It's Thornhill!

SEGA & CA release Story Mode trailer.

SEGA and CA have released a trailer for the Story Mode of N:TW, narrated by Jason Isaacs.

You can see it here.

EDIT: Having watched it, i'm a little more positive about the game - the graphics, while still essentially the same as a Empire's, look a little slicker, as does the action - the cinematics look great, and i'm pleased to see that the uniforms are beginning to look more realistic.

Hopefully now, with two months till the expected release date, we'll be seeing a lot more of these updates.

Last edited by Astor; 12-17-2009 at 05:04 PM.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:11 AM   #46
Astor
It's Thornhill!

Well, Napoleon will soon be hitting shelves in the US and the EU (23rd and 26th respectively), so I guess it's time I updated this with some more information.

Firstly, those all important system requirements -

System Requirements
Minimum:

Processor: 2.3 GHz CPU with SSE2
Memory: 1 GB RAM (XP), 2 GB RAM (Vista®/Windows® 7)
Graphics: 256 MB DirectX® 9.0c shader model 2b compatible GPU
DirectX®: DirectX® 9.0c
Hard Drive: 15 GB free space

Recommended:

Processor: 2.6 GHz Dual Core CPU
Memory: 2 GB RAM (XP), 4 GB RAM (Vista®/Windows® 7)
Graphics: 256 MB DirectX® 9.0c shader model 3 compatible GPU
DirectX®: DirectX® 9.0c
Hard Drive: 15 GB free space

They seem pretty much unchanged from Empire, which is hardly a surprise considering they are using the same engine. However, it has been reported that Napoleon will not, as previously expected, augment Empire's performance.

Factions - there are 11 playable factions in custom battles (I'm not certain on the factions for the actual campaigns, but I'd expect Britain, Austria, Prussia and Russia to be making a showing against the French). The 11 confirmed factions are:

Austria
Britain
Batavian Republic/United Netherlands
Denmark
France
Ottoman Empire
Portugal
Prussia
Russia
Spain
Sweden

There are also a few more historical battles this time around - they are -

Arcole (1796)
Austerlitz (1805)
Battle of the Nile (1798)
Borodino (1812)
Dresden (1813)
Ligny (1815)
Trafalgar (1805) - trouser melting stuff, if i'm honest.
Waterloo (1815)

In the way of some reviews/impressions, Green Eyed Devil from TWCenter has been to New York to see the game for himself, and posted his impressions here - it looks promising, and it's great to hear that the woefully broken AI and Diplomacy from Empire has been fixed, or at least improved. Of course, the game isn't perfect, but it's great to hear that it's looking to be an overall improvement on Empire.

I haven't really got much more to add, I suppose, apart from suggesting that it's worth checking out both TWCenter, and the Napoleon homepage.

Oh, and if you're in the UK, GAME currently has the Imperial Edition at a pre-order price of £27.99.

Now, I think i'll go and watch Waterloo.

Last edited by Astor; 02-21-2010 at 08:21 AM.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:14 AM   #47
Astor
It's Thornhill!

PC Gamer UK's verdict on Napoleon

PC Gamer 211 has a review of Napoleon: Total War, giving it a reasonably respectable rating of 82%. I don't really have the inclination to write out whole portions of the review, but there are a few important points -

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC Gamer UK
What I think can be concluded from my experience is NTW's strat AI struggles to produce plausible play, and the new logistics element has been so timidly implemented it's barely worth having. I'd pictured supply working something like the current trade routes system - a network of lines snaking over the country that could be disrupted with crafty interdiction. What we've ended up with is a bif slab of full-cream fudge.
Quote:
Depleted armies will automatically replenish just about anywhere as long as they've got a general. Supply posts can only be built in economic satellite towns, and are far from essential. Attrition - which should have been a major pain in the rump - only occurs in midwinter and desert conditions. Elite units are immune. In short, Creative Assembly have bottled it. The enhancement that should have prevented that classic and increasingly tiresome TW phnomena, the rampaging MegaKill Army, barely impacts it.
There's also criticism of the diplomacy system (which again, seems broken and piss-poor), but there is praise for the battles (despite the occasional bad decision by the AI - kamikaze generals are apparently still present). According to the review, the multiplayer aspect is remarkably better than that offered by Empire, and there is also some praise for the historical battles.

The review's summary probably says it best.

Quote:
I'm not going to insult your intelligence by claiming improved multiplayer campaigns excuse the dodgy strategic AI. They don't. If you're going to make a game about one of the greatest military geniuses or all time, it's vital you give him some worthy sparring partners. By delivering dunderheaded opponents and a half-hearted supply system Creative Assembly haven't done themselves or Boney justice.
What the hell happened to the CA of five-six years ago?

I should of course say that reviews aren't everything - after all, this is the same magazine that gave Empire (the vanilla, unpatched Empire, no less) 94%, so this could easily be a load of rubbish, but it is concerning.

EDIT: Still, looking at the screenshots both online and in the magazine, the battles do look beautiful, and from an accuracy point of the view the units seem to have been vastly improved. Doesn't make up for the reported lack of features and bad AI, but it's something, at least.

If you want some eye-candy, there's plenty here.

Last edited by Astor; 02-23-2010 at 08:33 AM.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:18 AM   #48
SW01
3 Years in the Lurk

I suppose we'll find out on Friday, one way or another. I am looking forward to it, just hoping Steam somehow manages to cope with the inevitable mass-authentication...

Disappointing to read about the AI, though - seemingly in spite of CA's protestations that the broken Empire AI was in no way representative of Napoleon. And it's a bit of a let-down (perhaps connected?) to hear that (again) despite CA's claims Empire won't be overhauled by Napoleon.

Old 02-23-2010, 04:48 PM   #49
Astor
It's Thornhill!

I think that from now on the best policy is to ignore everything CA promises - Empire promised a lot, delivered little, and was a mess from the start, and while early reports from those who have played the game seem promising (sort of), it's still not going excuse the fact that it's not what's been promised from the outset.

Still, i've seen a few screenshots from people who already have the game, and i'm liking them. The new, portrait-like er, portraits for politicians, agents and generals look very nice, as does the overall interface -

Show spoiler

Unfortunately, however, it seems that we're stuck with those bizarre Marines from Empire - and it just looks like the ships have been reskinned, which is not what many were lead to believe -

Old 02-25-2010, 06:20 AM   #50
Astor
It's Thornhill!

Thumbs down Steam FAIL

The Imperial Edition of Napoleon: Total War landed on my doormat about 15 minutes ago - after opening the parcel and looking at the shiny box, I put the disc in the computer for installation, input my activation keycode and...

:¬:

I realise that the official release date for the UK and EU is tomorrow (26th), but i'm annoyed that I can't at least install the game. But it's not surprising, apparently the release has been messed up - some people are apparently playing when they're not supposed to be (according to Steam).

Ah well, I guess I'll read the manual. For the next twelve and a half hours.

Old 02-25-2010, 07:04 AM   #51
RedHawke
Shadow Lord Of The Sith™

Current Game: DDO, Stormreach
Nothing says this big brother thing is getting bad like not being able to play a game you purchased. I would have titled that post 'EPIC Steam fail!'

So one of these should go to Steam...

"Beware the form-fitting black armor-clad Drow hottie with twin Mineral II Greensteel Khopeshes!"
"Liella d'Orien says, '"You're the fool, Devil. -- Witness the power of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Titan!"'"
----------------------------------------------------------------------
RedHawke is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-25-2010, 02:02 PM   #52
Astor
It's Thornhill!

Well, Steam has relented! I've managed to install (and download a small update) - haven't had a chance to play yet (and I probably won't get to play properly till tomorrow afternoon), but I did quickly jump into a Custom Battle - and it looks great!

Old 03-02-2010, 12:38 PM   #53
Astor
It's Thornhill!

So it's been out for a few days now (a week in North America, in fact), and although I haven't had as much time to play as I would've liked, I've been immensely enjoying N:TW so far, whether it's as i'm trekking across Egypt for the Glory of the Republic, holding off a French advance on Moscow, or ruling the waves as Great Britain.

And I hope that this time i'm not premature in saying that the community response has been far better than Empire (apart from the sticklers for accuracy complaining that the Belgic Shako worn by the British was only introduced after 1812, or that Spanish infantry should actually be in blue, or something that doesn't actually affect gameplay) - although Napoleon has a few bugs, I don't think they're anywhere as near as catastrophic as the ones that plagued Empire.

I haven't tried the drop-in battles myself yet, but i've heard that they are a welcome addition, and more than make up for the AI's shortcomings.

What's been the experience of anyone else who's bought the game? Good? Bad?

Old 04-04-2010, 07:50 PM   #54
e-varmint
Vapid Pomposticator

Current Game: Dragon Age
Helpful! 
I'm downloading the demo to see if the wacky quad-core XP (that does not like KOTOR) will be nice to this game. I really wish I had purchased a dual-core for gaming...........

I'll check back with my impressions of the game.

~A Short Time Later~

I like it! I never played any of the other Total War games, so I don't know how it compares, but I foresee many hours of entertainment just learning the demo.

Last edited by e-varmint; 04-04-2010 at 10:23 PM. Reason: spelt rong
e-varmint is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-05-2010, 07:38 AM   #55
SW01
3 Years in the Lurk

I've really enjoyed it - the AI is a lot better, in that it actually uses the advantages of its units rather than just throwing them in a body at your lines...though Generals seem to like death-or-glory charges still...

The 'Liberate' option is an excellent addition, I think. Feels far more accurate to march across Europe liberating the little German states, Belgium and the Netherlands rather than destroying the French Empire by replacing it with a bigger British/Prussian/Austrian/Russian Empire.

One thing though: 'WHERE ARE MY EAGLES??'[/Brian Blessed]

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > The Outlander Club > Napoleon: Total War