lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Hardcore Gaming 101's Maniac Mansion Famicom review
Thread Tools Display Modes
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 08-26-2009, 07:55 PM   #1
SyntheticGerbil
Pasta Master
 
SyntheticGerbil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Underwater
Posts: 2,239
Hardcore Gaming 101's Maniac Mansion Famicom review

http://blog.hardcoregaming101.net/20...m-version.html

I know this has been discussed over and over here, but I get fascinated by many HG101 articles. They have a blog now and did a mini-review of Maniac Mansion for the Famicom that went over some things I didn't realize.

So they had no way to use anything resembling the "What is" command in Japan? No save system and instead 128 character passwords?! That's ****ing insane!
SyntheticGerbil is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-26-2009, 08:31 PM   #2
Udvarnoky
Short for "Jason"
 
Udvarnoky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 1,418
The International House of Mojo Staff 
The Famicom version was notoriously bizarre, and I believe made entirely without LEC's involvement. Another awkward thing they didn't point out was that there is no scrolling in this version, so every room is crammed in such a way that it can be presented as a single, static screen.

I think it was nice of them to link to my defunct Maniac Mansion fansite I made when I was eleven!
Udvarnoky is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-27-2009, 12:14 AM   #3
clone2727
Rookie
 
clone2727's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: USA!
Posts: 154
Current Game: Full Throttle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Udvarnoky View Post
Another awkward thing they didn't point out was that there is no scrolling in this version, so every room is crammed in such a way that it can be presented as a single, static screen.
There's a mention of it in there:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Gaming 101
There's no scrolling whatsoever - everything moves screen by screen. The longer backgrounds are either split up into multiple screens or condensed into one. Various background details are missing, although it has the nude statue that was taken out the NES version.


It's Enrico Palazzo!

Last edited by clone2727; 08-27-2009 at 12:19 AM. Reason: Wording
clone2727 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-27-2009, 11:43 AM   #4
SyntheticGerbil
Pasta Master
 
SyntheticGerbil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Underwater
Posts: 2,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Udvarnoky View Post
I think it was nice of them to link to my defunct Maniac Mansion fansite I made when I was eleven!
Hahaha, I never realized that was your site! I've been there many times. It makes me miss a lot of the old geocities/fortune city/xoom/tripod days of the internet.
SyntheticGerbil is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-28-2009, 08:56 PM   #5
MusiclyInspired
Junior Member
 
MusiclyInspired's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 304
Current Game: Wallace & Grommit
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyntheticGerbil View Post
No save system and instead 128 character passwords?! That's ****ing insane!
Serves them right for screwing us out of our 3 save slots in Metroid.


"Booyah! Look out, LeChuck! Here comes Guybrush Threepwood's glowing sword of hot monkey vengeance!"
-Guybrush Threepwood, Tales of Monkey Island
MusiclyInspired is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-29-2009, 04:40 PM   #6
purple_tentacle_
Junior Member
 
purple_tentacle_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: California, United States
Posts: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Udvarnoky View Post
The Famicom version was notoriously bizarre, and I believe made entirely without LEC's involvement. Another awkward thing they didn't point out was that there is no scrolling in this version, so every room is crammed in such a way that it can be presented as a single, static screen.

I think it was nice of them to link to my defunct Maniac Mansion fansite I made when I was eleven!
Crazy dude I had no idea you made that site. Wow.. Only eleven.


http://www.lucasforums.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=162626&dateline=12954  72528
"The Simple truth is that we've
lost control of our own borders,
and no nation can do that and survive"
-Ronald Reagan
purple_tentacle_ is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Mixnmojo.com > Mojo Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Hardcore Gaming 101's Maniac Mansion Famicom review

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:13 PM.


LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.