lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Lucasarts is going to announce Lucidity.
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 09-05-2009, 02:45 PM   #1
spiralout
Rookie

Lucasarts is going to announce Lucidity.

They've left some clues.

http://lucasartsworkshop.files.wordp.../2009/09/1.jpg
http://lucasartsworkshop.files.wordp.../2009/09/2.jpg
http://lucasartsworkshop.files.wordp.../2009/09/3.jpg
http://lucasartsworkshop.files.wordp.../2009/09/4.jpg
spiralout is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-05-2009, 02:54 PM   #2
spiralout
Rookie

Here are the puzzle pieces sort of crudely put together.

Old 09-05-2009, 02:59 PM   #3
Jeff
Rating: Awesome

Current Game: SWTOR
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
Nice find. It's probably going to be their upcoming new IP announcement on September 10.

Follow me on Twitter
Follow StarWarsMMO.net on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
Jeff is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-05-2009, 03:27 PM   #4
AlfredJ
Rookie

Oh wow, I thought I was the first to discover this, in the comments on the Mojo blog. Guess you beat me to it!
AlfredJ is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-05-2009, 08:38 PM   #5
Fealiks
NAMBLA member

Awesome, nice find.

Personally, I'm not at all excited about Lucidity, though... we know next to nothing about it, and from what we do know it just sounds like a run of the mill XBLA/flash game. High hopes anyway though.
Fealiks is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-05-2009, 10:16 PM   #6
spiralout
Rookie

It looks cute. Who knows, it could be a new full blown 2D adventure game.
Old 09-05-2009, 10:44 PM   #7
jrrtoken

Hopefully this is actually developed in-house by LA and not yet another outsource. Here's hoping for some quality, though.
jrrtoken is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-06-2009, 12:35 AM   #8
urluckyday
Up all night to get lucky

Current Game: Red Orchestra 2
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
Looks promising enough.

If I die today, I'm happy how my life turned out
urluckyday is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-06-2009, 06:15 AM   #9
Snugglecakes

Current Game: Mata Hari
I'm afraid the days of LucasArts excitement are over for me. The recent "comeback" only tarnished their name even more in my mind, based on MI:SE and its awful quality control. I'll probably get shot for this but beside the graphical glitches, I just don't think the graphics are that good at all. They're actually pretty damn terrible, much more so at the intended 1920x1080. If they can't even get that right, what are the chances of a whole new title being any good? Following on from recent LEC public relations genius, Lucidity will probably be cancelled in a few months and even if it isn't it will probably be rather terrible.

Telltale is the new LucasArts. Any announcement from them is worth getting excited about. LucasArts has been dead for more than a decade and still is.

And yes I do hate saying that.

Last edited by Snugglecakes; 09-06-2009 at 07:56 AM.
Snugglecakes is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-06-2009, 06:17 AM   #10
Snugglecakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastramiX View Post
Hopefully this is actually developed in-house by LA and not yet another outsource. Here's hoping for some quality, though.
Actually I'm really hoping they don't do it in-house, because based on recent evidence, the most talented person working in-house is the tea lady.
Old 09-06-2009, 11:38 AM   #11
ThunderPeel2001
Lovebucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snugglecakes View Post
I'm afraid the days of LucasArts excitement are over for me. The recent "comeback" only tarnished their name even more in my mind, based on MI:SE and its awful controls.

I'll probably get shot for this but beside the graphical glitches, I just don't think the graphics are that good at all. They're actually pretty damn terrible, much more so at the intended 1920x1080.
No, I totally agree with you. What a disappointment it was. I literally cannot play the MI:SE.

However, that doesn't mean Lucidity won't be excellent, though.

ThunderPeel2001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-06-2009, 11:56 AM   #12
LordTrilobite

MI:SE Wasn't that bad, it's mostly just unfinished and sloppy, which can mostly be fixed with mods and hacks.

LordTrilobite is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-06-2009, 08:01 PM   #13
Nickelstein

Current Game: OPF,HL2,Bioshock
If the new IP is another Star Wars game I will be...thrilled

"Excuse me sir on behalf of the Internets I must ask you to GTFO and take your FAIL with you. Thank you and please STFU on your way out"
Nickelstein is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-06-2009, 08:52 PM   #14
urluckyday
Up all night to get lucky

Current Game: Red Orchestra 2
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
^Really?

If I die today, I'm happy how my life turned out
urluckyday is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-06-2009, 08:57 PM   #15
Jeff

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
I think new IP infers it's not Star Wars.

Follow me on Twitter
Old 09-07-2009, 11:00 AM   #16
Haggis
Mojorator

I hope it won't be released on consoles only, because it probably won't be coming to Wii, and I don't have a PS3 or Xbox 360. It looks interesting, and if it is, I'd like to play it on my PC.

Haggis is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-07-2009, 01:59 PM   #17
LordTrilobite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
I hope it won't be released on consoles only, because it probably won't be coming to Wii, and I don't have a PS3 or Xbox 360. It looks interesting, and if it is, I'd like to play it on my PC.
Word.

LordTrilobite is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-08-2009, 11:45 AM   #18
Nickelstein

Current Game: OPF,HL2,Bioshock
Quote:
Originally Posted by urluckyday View Post
^Really?
No John Dillinger I won't be thrilled especially after the failure of Star Wars:The Force Unleashed.

"Excuse me sir on behalf of the Internets I must ask you to GTFO and take your FAIL with you. Thank you and please STFU on your way out"
Nickelstein is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-08-2009, 11:48 AM   #19
Jeff

Yeah it'd be nice if it came to Steam as well, but right now all that's confirmed is XBLA.

Follow me on Twitter
Old 09-08-2009, 12:10 PM   #20
SyntheticGerbil
Pasta Master

Quote:
I'm sure that's not how LucasArts rolls now. For the three head artists that might be leading this game, I'm sure you'll find another 15 Singaporean artists with a separate art director in the credits.

The Rogue book just ended with a ton of stuff on third party studios lazily described as either failing to deliver or being as being Lucasart's new pro team. I'm not sure what anyone does at the actual Lucas studio or why that is so hushed. Either way, I fail to see how Lego Star Wars belongs in a book about LucasArts. (Or Armed and Dangerous for that matter, although I am a Nick Bruty fan.)
SyntheticGerbil is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-08-2009, 05:52 PM   #21
AlfredJ
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Yeah it'd be nice if it came to Steam as well, but right now all that's confirmed is XBLA.
Not even XBLA is confirmed. I mean, it's pretty obvious that it's going to be on 360, considering the lay-out and all that, but they never confirmed it will be downloadable. One of the developers said on GAF that, while they didn't even tell him (one of the writers) what platforms it will be on, it's a great deal bigger than the Penny Arcade Adventures-titles, and the game could be way too big to be downloadable. Size isn't really a limitation on PC though, so I guess it could be on Steam and Playgreenhouse. I think I'll play it on my 360, I don't think my laptop is awesome enough for the game.

Last edited by AlfredJ; 09-08-2009 at 06:59 PM.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:34 PM   #22
Fealiks
NAMBLA member

Gametrailers posted a promo for the announcement (as reported by The Tingler on Mojo), and when the guy says "brand new original game" there are shots of blurred Monkey Island concept art, along with one shot of what I'm pretty sure is Lucidity's main character (probably called either Lucy or Miss Killstriker, my money's on the latter).
Fealiks is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-09-2009, 07:53 PM   #23
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredJ View Post
Not even XBLA is confirmed. I mean, it's pretty obvious that it's going to be on 360, considering the lay-out and all that, but they never confirmed it will be downloadable. One of the developers said on GAF that, while they didn't even tell him (one of the writers) what platforms it will be on, it's a great deal bigger than the Penny Arcade Adventures-titles, and the game could be way too big to be downloadable. Size isn't really a limitation on PC though, so I guess it could be on Steam and Playgreenhouse. I think I'll play it on my 360, I don't think my laptop is awesome enough for the game.
I don't really see a puzzle game like this doing much in retail stores especially as a full priced title, I can't remember the last time I heard about a game that wasn't $60 being released in stores for 360. It makes the most sense from what little we know to be a $10-20 title on XBLA I think.

Follow me on Twitter
Old 09-10-2009, 01:18 AM   #24
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

10 year veteran! 
Dammit, if there's a resurgence of adventure games, LucasArts has to be at the forefront. People always say that adventure games are dead, but I've seen it to be one of the most industrious genres out there, just not the most popular. There are dozens of quality indie adventure games out there, especially after LA quit doing adventures.

Make more quality adventure games, LA. Yeaaaaaaaaah.

And for the PC.

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-10-2009, 07:49 AM   #25
AlfredJ
Rookie

Quote:
I don't really see a puzzle game like this doing much in retail stores especially as a full priced title, I can't remember the last time I heard about a game that wasn't $60 being released in stores for 360. It makes the most sense from what little we know to be a $10-20 title on XBLA I think.

Wow, sorry, I don't know why I posted that here. I thought I was talking about Deathspank. I have to stop posting after working non-stop for 10 hours.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:21 AM   #26
Jeff

Haha, no problem.

LucasArts officially revealed Lucidity tonight on Gametrailers TV - http://bit.ly/HRQNq Seeing gameplay footage (video not at link yet but I watched it on TV) it actually looks pretty neat, basically you don't control Sophie, you add objects to the environment that she is walking through to get her past. I imagine the video will be added to gametrailers.com soon if you didn't see it on TV.

Follow me on Twitter
Old 09-11-2009, 03:42 AM   #27
Jenni
Rookie

Current Game: Monkey Island 4 (ResidualVM)
Oh my gosh! I love games like these! I spent so many hours on Lemmings as a little girl, and I loved Doublefine's excellent flash game, Tasha's Game.

My anticipation for this is really high now!

Last edited by Jenni; 09-11-2009 at 03:59 AM.
Jenni is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-11-2009, 09:45 AM   #28
spiralout
Rookie

It looks like a good game. I'll buy it.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:48 AM   #29
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

10 year veteran! 
Hmm, looking good to me. Looks like Braid a lot (I just purchased it off of Steam today because it was on discount and because it is awesome and because I am awesome). It looked great from the gameplay trailer, but by the last 10-15 seconds of the video, I was thinking "What? That's it? We're just going to take this girl from Point A to Point B by putting things in her path?"

I like the direction LucasArts is going with this recent small-game-encouragement charade, but I'll need more to be convinced. Regardless, this is, of course, a game I'll be interested in buying.

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-13-2009, 10:03 PM   #30
jrrtoken

Steam'd, with release date set to October 7th.
Old 09-13-2009, 10:27 PM   #31
Jeff

Quote:
Steam'd, with release date set to October 7th.
"Genre: Casual, Family Gaming"

Follow me on Twitter
Old 09-14-2009, 02:19 PM   #32
Giant Graffiti
Custom User Title

So by "Coming out this month", LucasArts really meant, "Coming out next month?
Giant Graffiti is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-14-2009, 04:43 PM   #33
jrrtoken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gιygαs View Post
So by "Coming out this month", LucasArts really meant, "Coming out next month?
LA is also terrible with semantics and translation. K3 = KotOR MMO?
Old 09-14-2009, 04:49 PM   #34
Darth InSidious
A handful of dust.

Current Game: KotOR II
Quote:
"Genre: Casual, Family Gaming"

This is probably the area where LA can screw up least, IMO. Just provided it's not Lego Star Wars: The New Jedi Order...

Works-In-Progress
~
Mods Released
~
Quid existis in desertum videre?
Darth InSidious is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-16-2009, 04:46 AM   #35
Snugglecakes

Guys... I'm trying to figure out if I'm going mad or not... Are you sure you aren't all looking at this game through the LucasArts fan blinkers that have developed over the last 20 years? I also love a good puzzle game but I've thought since the first screenshot came out that this looks cheap & nasty. I actually hoped that the first screenshot was some kind of "concept art" and not the final product, and assumed that you were all thinking the same thing. Appears not, this is what the game looks like, and I hate to say I think it looks rubbish.

What am I missing? Lots of you seem to think it's great.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:10 AM   #36
Thrik
Symbolically Compelling

Hot Topic Starter Forum Veteran LFN Staff Member 
I'm equally bewildered that you think it looks cheap and nasty to be honest. Have you seen the gameplay footage? In motion it looks wonderful IMO, and this is a notion I've seen expressed by many people who aren't into LucasArts at all.

It's a very stylised and abstract approach for sure — kind of line with many Xbox LIVE Arcade releases in that respect — but it's an intentional artistic direction and one that's been accomplished well. Evidently it's one not everyone's going to like.

Clearly it's not to be taken as an all singing, all dancing game, though. It's a casual budget game that will only be distributed digitally. Perhaps the problem is you're expecting something too grandiose and serious?

Thrik is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-16-2009, 07:38 AM   #37
jrrtoken

I think that he's trying to get at the core gameplay, which IMO, feels somewhat shallow and repetitive, at first glance. Briefly, it doesn't exactly seem like a game that would throw some new variation per every level, with an extremely linear "Point A to Point B" sort of formula.

Of course, I still have hopes for this game, but compared to other titles, the gameplay doesn't seem to be vehemently inspiring, but I suppose that's the point.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:25 AM   #38
Thrik
Symbolically Compelling

Hot Topic Starter Forum Veteran LFN Staff Member 
I dunno, I can't say that I've played a game with this particular gameplay any time recently or even ever, as opposed to the billion first-person and third-person shooters I've played this year alone. I mean it's clearly similar to stuff like Lemmings, but it does seem to be its own thing.

Granted the video doesn't show the most exciting gameplay in the world, but the (positive) reviews indicate it gets more interesting and complicated — as you'd expect for a game with multiple dozens of levels.

I do think he meant the art though.

Thrik is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-17-2009, 05:59 AM   #39
Snugglecakes

Ok maybe my expectations are too high, I'm not used to "small titles"... I guess I'm wanting the usual blockbuster game from LucasArts. And why not? I just look at these screenshots and get the impression that even I could recreate them with a few basic gradient filled shapes. I'm probably just not a fan of this style, I've never been good with what's "in fashion"

I'm glad it's getting a good reception so far though, it's just not for me.
Old 09-17-2009, 12:20 PM   #40
tabacco

LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snugglecakes View Post
I just look at these screenshots and get the impression that even I could recreate them with a few basic gradient filled shapes.
You should definitely make a competing game, then. It'll be easy, right?
tabacco is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Mixnmojo.com > Mojo Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Lucasarts is going to announce Lucidity.