lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Even NASA says the world ain't ending in 2012
Thread Tools Display Modes
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 11-09-2009, 10:33 PM   #1
Lord of Hunger
Hunger, The Lord Of
 
Lord of Hunger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Korriban, Sith Empire
Posts: 1,022
Current Game: Shogun 2: Total War
Even NASA says the world ain't ending in 2012

Clicky Click!

I like two things that it points out:

1) If there was a planet on a collision path with us, we'd be seeing and feeling the effects of it by now.

2) The Mayan Calendar doesn't even end in 2012! It goes on for another cycle!

Discuss?


As of 3/14/10, TSL is restored. The Sith Lords Restored Content Modification by Stoney and Zbyl has been finished and can be downloaded here.

Lord of Hunger is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-09-2009, 10:38 PM   #2
Det. Bart Lasiter
obama.png
 
Det. Bart Lasiter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: `(.)~
Posts: 7,997
Current Game: all
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
scientists to disagree with crackpot theory based on ancient religious superstition and outdated calender system, news at 10



"No, Mama. You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty whoever put that hit on you already got the cops in their back pocket." ~Black Dynamite
Det. Bart Lasiter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-10-2009, 12:13 AM   #3
Pho3nix
#rekt
 
Pho3nix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Sweden
Posts: 3,370
Forum Veteran 
I still believe it will

Pho3nix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-10-2009, 12:16 AM   #4
Darth Avlectus
Your point?
 
Darth Avlectus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Attack on Titan
Posts: 4,255
Current Game: Soul Calibur 5
Actually the Mayan Calendar thing is also a bit of controversy. I always thought the calendar would end THIS year. Only in 1999 did I hear it was 2012 with all the Y2K bull**** going on.

So if the 2012 thing was originally 2009, to hell with it. Why does it end around now? Probably the people got tired of figuring out date sets and then chizzling it into stones, or they ran out of stone area.

CREDIT:
For a more satirical, err, rant on this subject, visit Aron Ching's youtube channel (For Fun Producitons 808 or something) for his "12 F--- you's of the year 2012".

So, honestly, I think it's a bunch of crap. Scientists found it out? Good. That only supports my position more. Yeah I know, the earth cycle is changing, climate is going weird. Hell, that "circle of fire" thing with tectonic plates and volcanic activity is stirring up. I seriously doubt that the eruptions from it will wipe out the human race.

Sorry if I sound snappy. Just...some people are so hung up on doomsday it's pathetic...Just...Makes me want to:
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-10-2009, 12:37 AM   #5
Det. Bart Lasiter
obama.png
 
Det. Bart Lasiter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: `(.)~
Posts: 7,997
Current Game: all
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pho3nix View Post
I still believe it will
you live in finland so wanting to believe the world will end soon is perfectly normal, carry on



"No, Mama. You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty whoever put that hit on you already got the cops in their back pocket." ~Black Dynamite
Det. Bart Lasiter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-10-2009, 02:33 AM   #6
lockhead
Banned
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 53
Current Game: Rock Band 2
So the film coming out is inaccurate?
lockhead is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-10-2009, 03:16 AM   #7
Lord of Hunger
Hunger, The Lord Of
 
Lord of Hunger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Korriban, Sith Empire
Posts: 1,022
Current Game: Shogun 2: Total War
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockhead View Post
So the film coming out is inaccurate?
It's a fictional work that is being made for the sole benefit of making money off of these unprovable theories and the pointless hysteria that they cause. Not to sound mean or insulting, but do you honestly think it's a documentary or even remotely based on fact?


As of 3/14/10, TSL is restored. The Sith Lords Restored Content Modification by Stoney and Zbyl has been finished and can be downloaded here.

Lord of Hunger is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-10-2009, 01:34 PM   #8
Salzella
areiK
 
Salzella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,135
Current Game: Portal, Half-Life 2.
well by the same token does anyone really believe the world will end in 2012. i mean, ffs the olympics won't be that bad. give us a chance...
Salzella is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-10-2009, 02:38 PM   #9
urluckyday
Up all night to get lucky
 
urluckyday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Beautiful USA
Posts: 2,760
Current Game: Red Orchestra 2
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
The Myan calendar simply restarts when it "ends." And usually, the changing of cycles means a major shift socially, economically, environmentally, etc. has happened. The current myan calendar isn't a cyclical calendar but just linear. However, there was a linear calendar before the current one and there will be one after. The calendar has ended before and it has only signaled a new era...not the end of time.

I hate people making the assumption that everything they hear and especially see on that stupid "2012" movie trailer is fact and whatnot...
People (as usual) really need to read up on facts before they worry about stuff like that.

People have predicted the end of time since the dawn of thinking men...and this is no different.



If I die today, I'm happy how my life turned out

Last edited by urluckyday; 11-10-2009 at 02:48 PM.
urluckyday is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-10-2009, 02:59 PM   #10
lockhead
Banned
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 53
Current Game: Rock Band 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Hunger View Post
It's a fictional work that is being made for the sole benefit of making money off of these unprovable theories and the pointless hysteria that they cause. Not to sound mean or insulting, but do you honestly think it's a documentary or even remotely based on fact?
No. It's a film from the same people who made The Day After Tomorrow, who seem to be into the end of the world disaster movies. I know the film itself is fiction but the myth that it's based on, it's a scary thought that we could be approaching armageddon. That this is all predetermined and there is a destined date for doomsday. I'm not sure about Mayan beliefs but there may not even be the comfort of paradise like Jesus returning to judge as potrayed in Christian religion. So when there is evidence to suggest that this is not going to happen, it's comforting.
lockhead is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-10-2009, 03:15 PM   #11
Samnmax221
I never Kipled
 
Samnmax221's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: My hovercraft is full of eels
Posts: 5,784
Current Game: Sex with women
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Everyone who isn't a fringe lunatic, or a retarded member of the general public knows the world isn't ending in 2012. The Long Count didn't start at the beginning of time, and has 0 bearing on today.
Samnmax221 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-10-2009, 03:27 PM   #12
lockhead
Banned
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 53
Current Game: Rock Band 2
I don't take credit in the belief, but for it to be confirmed, well that's good.
lockhead is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-10-2009, 07:03 PM   #13
urluckyday
Up all night to get lucky
 
urluckyday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Beautiful USA
Posts: 2,760
Current Game: Red Orchestra 2
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockhead View Post
No. It's a film from the same people who made The Day After Tomorrow, who seem to be into the end of the world disaster movies. I know the film itself is fiction but the myth that it's based on, it's a scary thought that we could be approaching armageddon. That this is all predetermined and there is a destined date for doomsday. I'm not sure about Mayan beliefs but there may not even be the comfort of paradise like Jesus returning to judge as potrayed in Christian religion. So when there is evidence to suggest that this is not going to happen, it's comforting.
It should be most comforting to know that like I said...every generation thinks that it's the last...from the beginning of time. There have been dates and numbers thrown around by apocalyptic predictions forever...

Whether or not you believe in any of the religions that "say" that the end of the world will happen should have no bearing on how worried you are.

Just an off-note:
If you're Christian (I am), I think it's important to point out the context of the book of Revelations (The apocalyptic book). Just remember what time it was written in and who wrote it. A Christian under Nero in Rome who hated Christians and hunted them. I personally believe that Revelations is just a book of metaphors and to give hope to other Christians and that time. That's why it's still such a controversial book in the Bible today.



If I die today, I'm happy how my life turned out
urluckyday is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-10-2009, 08:09 PM   #14
purifier
Forumite
 
purifier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: DisneyLand
Posts: 721
LF Jester 
The biggest problem with the 2012 doomsday hype, that stirs up controversy amongest us, is the fact the words: "The World is gonna end" can cause an uproar with people and that is what starts the arguments. That's a qoute or a thought that we need get away from, I don't see this planet blowing up, spliting apart, or a collision with another planet now are in the near future.

The fact is, this planet has always been here and will probably be here for many thousands of years to come. The humans and other animals living on this planet today is undeniable proof of that. Now the real big question should be, will we be here in the near future and beyond that or will we go the way of the dinosaur. The earth has always had catastrophic changes in the past, even at time's when humans lived here, but humans pulled through those globel disasters somehow - someway.

Anything can happen at anytime either today, tomorrow, or fifty years from now. A large meteor (maybe one Nasa hadn't accounted for or detected yet) could enter our atmosphere, crash into any sea, and cause a massive Tsunami that would wash away some cities from the coastline tomorrow. It could also upon impact, cause some earthquakes here and there destroying other cities around the globe; depending on it's size. It might even activate some volcanoes through a chain reaction, because of it's size and how hard the impact was.

Yet, we cannot go by past predictions pointing to a certain date, month, or year as the final end for us, such as Dec. 21st, 2012, just because a certain calendar says so no matter how accurate it is. It's to much of a leap of faith on our part from a scientific point of view. Even though there are some ongoing climate changes happening now, a few Tsunami's recently and more earthquakes than usual, it doesn't mean that it's building up to something major happening in 2012. These things have happened in the past and will happen in the future on this planet again and again.

But anyone denying the fact that a major catastrophic event couldn't happen again in the future from this moment on, just because us humans are here or whatever the reason...well that takes alot of faith or some serious self denial. So it's not a question of will it happen, but when. There are always possibilties, it happen to the dinosaurs and it can happen again in our time as well.


SITH HAPPENS

Last edited by purifier; 11-11-2009 at 03:32 AM.
purifier is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-11-2009, 12:42 AM   #15
urluckyday
Up all night to get lucky
 
urluckyday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Beautiful USA
Posts: 2,760
Current Game: Red Orchestra 2
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by purifier View Post
But anyone denying the fact that a major catastrophic event couldn't happen again in the future from this moment on, just because us humans are here or whatever the reason...well that takes alot of faith or some serious self denial. So it's not a question of will it happen, but when. There are always possibilties, it happen to the dinosaurs and it can happen again in our time as well.
Correct. Chaos theory at its finest. ANYTHING can happen at ANY time. But I don't think anyone possesses the gift to tell the future even ancient Myans.



If I die today, I'm happy how my life turned out
urluckyday is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-11-2009, 03:28 AM   #16
purifier
Forumite
 
purifier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: DisneyLand
Posts: 721
LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by urluckyday View Post
Correct. Chaos theory at its finest. ANYTHING can happen at ANY time. But I don't think anyone possesses the gift to tell the future even ancient Myans.

I agree. But even if they were able to predict some catastrophic event to likely happen in our lifetime, even if they are in a high percentage of close to being right, it doesn't mean it would happen. For the simple fact that it's not a 100% guarantee, because our future is not a one way road. Our fate and future could go in any direction.

For example: Nobody can really say a 100% that I'm going to drive all the way to work tomorrow even if I usually do so all the time, and just because I have in the past so many times before. I may get halfway there and the vehicle I'm in breaks down. Or I get there a quarter of the way and I have an accident.


The Mayans based their predictions on disastrous events that have happen in the past, 4 times according to their writings, so they figured that it would most likely happen again by the end of this 5th cycle; or I should say their 5th cycle as they measured time through astrological interpretation.

The future (our future) is nothing more than chance, even if it was written in stone by the Mayans. And chance can be 50/50 anytime.


SITH HAPPENS
purifier is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-11-2009, 06:48 AM   #17
Visas
Rookie
 
Visas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: The Ravager
Posts: 71
Well if it does happen, then bring it on!


Visas is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-11-2009, 09:27 AM   #18
Pavlos
Scruffy Englishman
 
Pavlos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: The real world/ivory towers
Posts: 1,974
Current Game: Viking Warrior Poets
Quote:
Originally Posted by urluckyday View Post
It should be most comforting to know that like I said...every generation thinks that it's the last...from the beginning of time. There have been dates and numbers thrown around by apocalyptic predictions forever...

Whether or not you believe in any of the religions that "say" that the end of the world will happen should have no bearing on how worried you are.
I wouldn't say that every generation believes itself to be the last, but there are millennial hotspots, so to speak, where a significant portion of the population of (western) society can see an end: around the year 1000, the French Revolution, and the Cold War are the ones that spring to mind.


StarWarsKnights.com -- News and features will be returning shortly...

I 'gin to be a-weary of the sun,
And wish the estate o' the world were now undone.
Pavlos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-11-2009, 12:36 PM   #19
Taak Farst
Eat The Rude
 
Taak Farst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: England
Posts: 1,561
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Forum Veteran 
The Mayan's predict it will end in 2012 - because their calender ends then..

2 solutions
Buy a new calender
or
Draw one


Taak Farst is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-11-2009, 01:30 PM   #20
urluckyday
Up all night to get lucky
 
urluckyday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Beautiful USA
Posts: 2,760
Current Game: Red Orchestra 2
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlos View Post
I wouldn't say that every generation believes itself to be the last, but there are millennial hotspots, so to speak, where a significant portion of the population of (western) society can see an end: around the year 1000, the French Revolution, and the Cold War are the ones that spring to mind.
Right by me saying "every generation" I meant there are people in every generation that think they're the last ones...



If I die today, I'm happy how my life turned out
urluckyday is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-11-2009, 09:57 PM   #21
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem
 
Jae Onasi's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 10,912
Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
If the world ends in 2012, we won't care. If it continues on, that'll be fine by me.


From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-11-2009, 09:59 PM   #22
Litofsky
Galaxial
 
Litofsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,546
Wait, didn't we say that the world was going to end ten years ago?
Litofsky is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-11-2009, 10:02 PM   #23
Weiser_Cain
Forumite
 
Weiser_Cain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Here and there about Chicago
Posts: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pho3nix View Post
I still believe it will
Can I have your stuff? Also, don't hurt yourself or nothin'.
Weiser_Cain is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-12-2009, 12:50 AM   #24
urluckyday
Up all night to get lucky
 
urluckyday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Beautiful USA
Posts: 2,760
Current Game: Red Orchestra 2
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Onasi View Post
If the world ends in 2012, we won't care. If it continues on, that'll be fine by me.
Right. It's like saying "If I die...I'll be so mad!"

No reason to worry about it either way.



If I die today, I'm happy how my life turned out
urluckyday is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-12-2009, 01:07 AM   #25
Trench
Guy with Monocle
 
Trench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Under a rock.
Posts: 1,638
Current Game: DX:HR, iKotOR
LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Onasi View Post
If the world ends in 2012, we won't care. If it continues on, that'll be fine by me.
This. This sums it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weiser_Cain View Post
Can I have your stuff? Also, don't hurt yourself or nothin'.

Trench is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-12-2009, 09:42 PM   #26
Darth Avlectus
Your point?
 
Darth Avlectus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Attack on Titan
Posts: 4,255
Current Game: Soul Calibur 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by purifier View Post
The biggest problem with the 2012 doomsday hype, that stirs up controversy amongest us, is the fact the words: "The World is gonna end" can cause an uproar with people and that is what starts the arguments. That's a qoute or a thought that we need get away from, I don't see this planet blowing up, spliting apart, or a collision with another planet now are in the near future.
[HK-47] Simplification: Meatbags with their boring, meaningless lives become hyper excited over ridiculous broad notions of apocalyptic catastrophe and chaos being imminent despite a lack of any remotely conclusive evidence.

Self Evident Question: What reasons do meatbags have to justify such wasteful hysteria?

Answer: For the reasons of
1) justifying their pointless existence
2) to satisfy their boredom because they have nothing better to do
3) because they desperately need a blaster bolt to the head

Such temptation. PLease master, can't I pick of just a few of the more useless meatbasgs? It's been so long since I've killed something.
[/HK-47]

Quote:
<snip>Now the real big question should be, will we be here in the near future and beyond that or will we go the way of the dinosaur. The earth has always had catastrophic changes in the past, even at time's when humans lived here, but humans pulled through those globel disasters somehow - someway.
Nuclear fallout. Most likely to happen. That or a power vacuum politically and economically. Nature abhors a vacuum. Lots of wars over many things, but ultimately it all comes down to:
R E S O U R C E S.

Just some rhetorical speculation on my part.

Or natural disaster, climate change, a major loss of technology we rely upon.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Litofsky View Post
Wait, didn't we say that the world was going to end ten years ago?
Yeah. It was called Y2K...or as I like to call it (If you'll please pardon my language, good sir): Y2bull****.
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-13-2009, 04:37 AM   #27
Tommycat
>^..^<
 
Tommycat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,578
Current Game: Real Life 1.0(BETA)
Forum Veteran 
Lets see 1994 the world was supposed to end...
2000....
2001...
2012? Yeah I think I will put more stock in the world already having ended and we're running in a simulation with only around 2500 actual people still alive. The rest being computer generated approximations. Haven't you ever noticed how often you run into the SAME people?

I mean nobody ever gets it... The world ended in approximately the year 3220(depending on the calendar used) and we few are the only remaining humans. Our conciousness was transferred to a ship which was launched over 50 years ago. When the computer runs out of conciousnesses, it replicates a new one... Parents haven't you noticed how your kids do the SAME THINGS you did as a child? Kids don't you see how your parents ALWAYS know what you did? We're the last humans... AAAAAAAAHHHHHH

Yeah... somehow that seems more plausable to me than the world ending in 2012.


"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Tommycat; 11-13-2009 at 04:45 AM.
Tommycat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-13-2009, 05:29 AM   #28
Ztalker
Saving the world casually
 
Ztalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Normandy SR-2
Posts: 2,780
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Onasi View Post
If the world ends in 2012, we won't care. If it continues on, that'll be fine by me.
Q.F.T.

Getting my diploma in 2012...thought it was because of that the world would end...

Ztalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-13-2009, 01:51 PM   #29
ForeverNight
nrgurt researcher
 
ForeverNight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Minnesota, USA
Posts: 1,204
Current Game: q2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommycat
mean nobody ever gets it... The world ended in approximately the year 3220(depending on the calendar used) and we few are the only remaining humans. Our conciousness was transferred to a ship which was launched over 50 years ago. When the computer runs out of conciousnesses, it replicates a new one... Parents haven't you noticed how your kids do the SAME THINGS you did as a child? Kids don't you see how your parents ALWAYS know what you did? We're the last humans... AAAAAAAAHHHHHH
You mean we're not just hooked into the Matrix?

As for those who think the World is going to End in 2012, I quite frankly, think they're idiots. People have always attached significance to dates like that for some reason, in the year 1000 they thought the world was going to end for crying out loud!


ForeverNight is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-13-2009, 03:22 PM   #30
Jedi_Man
Forumite
 
Jedi_Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The Death of All Things.
Posts: 521
Current Game: Too many to count
My explanation for it was this.
*Thousands of years ago*
"hey, gurg, lets make a calendar."
Gurg: "Ok."
*five days later*
gurg: "Hey, taalet."
Taalet: "Yeah?"
Gurg:" We've goen several thousand years in the future, wanna stop now?"
Taalet: "Yeah, sure."
*some names were changed to protect the identities of the owner.*
Seriously, that is also a logical explanation.


---------------------------------------------------
Deep thought #1: In the end, everyone dies. No one can outrun time, death itself is always breathing down your neck, just waiting to slip the noose over you. But, in your time of death, what matters is not when or how or even why. What matters is what you do with it. Do you sit down and call it quits, or do you get up, stare your killer and death itself in the face, and laugh copiously, right until the end.
Jedi_Man is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-13-2009, 04:00 PM   #31
purifier
Forumite
 
purifier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: DisneyLand
Posts: 721
LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA:SWcity View Post
[HK-47] Simplification: Meatbags with their boring, meaningless lives become hyper excited over ridiculous broad notions of apocalyptic catastrophe and chaos being imminent despite a lack of any remotely conclusive evidence.

Self Evident Question: What reasons do meatbags have to justify such wasteful hysteria?

Answer: For the reasons of
1) justifying their pointless existence
2) to satisfy their boredom because they have nothing better to do
3) because they desperately need a blaster bolt to the head

Such temptation. PLease master, can't I pick of just a few of the more useless meatbasgs? It's been so long since I've killed something.
[/HK-47]

I thought it was just because they were looking for there 15 seconds of fame, or to get some attention from everybody; while making a little money off of it in the process. But the reasons you stated above GTA, or should I say HK-47, would probably be a good bet too.


One thing is for sure, the 2012 "Oh No!The world's gonna end!" bogus lie, is really getting out of hand. I get really tired of explaning to, mostly, the younger generations the reality behind it; like in my posts above. I mean...it's become a friggin epidemic, worrying the crap out of them. And now, from what I'm hearing, some individuals or groups are looking for large deep underground shelters to hide in when it supposely does happen. SAD, really SAD, what in the hell is this world coming to.............Oh right, the end - I keep forgetting that.



Quote:
Nuclear fallout. Most likely to happen. That or a power vacuum politically and economically. Nature abhors a vacuum. Lots of wars over many things, but ultimately it all comes down to:
R E S O U R C E S.

Just some rhetorical speculation on my part.

Or natural disaster, climate change, a major loss of technology we rely upon.

Agreed, any of this, especially R E S O U R C E S; and probably a long, long, long ways off sometime down the road of the future. Our living on this planet can't last forever, that's obvious. But hopefully by then, when that does happen, we've done explored and colonize the unknown regions of the universe or at least our galaxy.


SITH HAPPENS
purifier is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-14-2009, 11:19 PM   #32
vanir
Forumite
 
vanir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: south of Gundagai
Posts: 632
FYI theoretical astrophysicists place two events most likely to result in armaggeddon. Medium body stellar impact, a meteor or comet, meteor is mostly likely, one approx 100km diameter with a high iron content would do it and we'd never know about it. Just last week one passed within 7000km of the Earth and nobody saw it coming. That's well inside the communications satellites orbit for example, it was like "Oh check that out, we nearly got blown to bits, wow that was lucky."

Scenario two, gamma ray burst in our local galactic region. Very unlikely except for the numbers game, they flash all over the galaxy and would literally strip the atmosphere off our world instantly if one faced our direction, if you took a 24hr segment and calculated the odds they're pretty astronomical but take a 4.5b yr timeframe and we're unbelievably lucky one hasn't hit us so far. In terms of probability we're due for one, but thing is it's a one time event that would turn Earth into Mars in one hit.

Both extinction events whether astronomical or geophysical and planetary irradiation events are quite commonplace even in our local galactic region and beyond this, our own planet's history, so they're a real possibility any moment, every moment.
But you don't live your life worrying about them unless you see one coming. A near miss means getting missed by a few million years, it would take the perfect numbers to come up in a very complex equation to actually get hit by anything during the entire span of our species existence.

Only complex evolutionary diversity is saving us, it's not any kind of shield, but it does mean all chance is in our favour.
vanir is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-15-2009, 03:48 PM   #33
Working Class Hero
Rookie
 
Working Class Hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by urluckyday View Post
It should be most comforting to know that like I said...every generation thinks that it's the last...from the beginning of time. There have been dates and numbers thrown around by apocalyptic predictions forever...

Whether or not you believe in any of the religions that "say" that the end of the world will happen should have no bearing on how worried you are.

Just an off-note:
If you're Christian (I am), I think it's important to point out the context of the book of Revelations (The apocalyptic book). Just remember what time it was written in and who wrote it. A Christian under Nero in Rome who hated Christians and hunted them. I personally believe that Revelations is just a book of metaphors and to give hope to other Christians and that time. That's why it's still such a controversial book in the Bible today.
Ever read Daniel? It corroborates the Revelation.

Interstingly, not until the council of Nicaea was the Bible thought to be completely infallible. Before then it was thought of as individual writings of people who tried their best to put in writing what a superior and alien being had told them.
Even after the council of Nicaea, prominent Christian thinkers still debated whether the Bible was infallible. In Confessions, Augustine recalls that he had been taught that the Bible had been tampered with Jewish law being inserted into it. Now, no modern Christian would ever take the word of Augustine over what a Bible writer, such as Paul, had written. But, what makes them different? Both wrote their opinions on Christianity and neither ever had first-hand knowledge of Jesus. Why do we Christians treat Paul's word as law, but not Augustine or Ambrose. I think that the only completely infallible part of the Bible is the word of Jesus. He explicitly states never to turn anyone away from Him, yet one book after the Gospel (Acts) Paul excludes groups he doesn't like, such as homosexuals. I feel that most religious conflict has been caused by needless zealotry and bigotry by attributing people's actions to divine word. Some Christians say all homosexuals are evil, because it says to kill them in the Old Testament. Yet, Jesus says never to turn anyone away from Him. Jesus himself admitted he would be changing long-held Jewish beliefs, which is why many prominent Jews in that time hated Him so much. Simply, you cannot pick and choose parts of the Bible to justify your actions. We exist to serve God, not the other way around.

Wow , I got off topic.
Working Class Hero is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-15-2009, 03:53 PM   #34
Darth Avlectus
Your point?
 
Darth Avlectus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Attack on Titan
Posts: 4,255
Current Game: Soul Calibur 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by purifier View Post
I thought it was just because they were looking for there 15 seconds of fame, or to get some attention from everybody; while making a little money off of it in the process. But the reasons you stated above GTA, or should I say HK-47, would probably be a good bet too.
[HK-47]: Clarification: Oh why I was just stating the primary likelihoods of meatbags to go on such a useless a tirade when more constructive things could be done. Like sharpening your combat reflexes and making sure your target doesn't get back up again.

Now, let's go out and find something to kill. My treat.
[/HK-47]

Quote:
One thing is for sure, the 2012 "Oh No!The world's gonna end!" bogus lie, is really getting out of hand. I get really tired of explaning to, mostly, the younger generations the reality behind it; like in my posts above. I mean...it's become a friggin epidemic, worrying the crap out of them. And now, from what I'm hearing, some individuals or groups are looking for large deep underground shelters to hide in when it supposely does happen. SAD, really SAD, what in the hell is this world coming to.............Oh right, the end - I keep forgetting that.
Well, I suppose we could start by finding the fear-mongering sensationalists. For example Alex Jones. Find then and go BYW (Back Yard Wrestling) status on them. These people seem to want to make a buck or two and are the source of the hysteria.


Quote:
Agreed, any of this, especially R E S O U R C E S; and probably a long, long, long ways off sometime down the road of the future. Our living on this planet can't last forever, that's obvious. But hopefully by then, when that does happen, we've done explored and colonize the unknown regions of the universe or at least our galaxy.
Well, I mean look at the wars: if it is not vying for power, it's about resources at its heart. Oh sure, religion this and that is responsible for the wars and blah-blah-blah. There are few nations in holy war in the world. Even religious ideology as a reason for a war can't be *entirely* dissociated from vying for power. Sure it could stand upon its own. So could a fight for freedom. But think further and you will find it is all about power.

If it sounds like I have practiced and said this many times before it is because I have thought upon this many times. While I'm sure someone can come up with another reason--I don't really see how it couldn't ultimately be traced to power and resources. Else it is just......beyond stupidity. Wouldn't you agree?

So far as end of world catastrophes...war is not the do-all to end-all that would wipe life off the face of the planet. Unless someone figures out Tesla's secrets and mangaes to turn our entire atmosphere into plasma and fry everything. Which I highly doubt because all of our brightest and best scientists since have not been able to 100% replicate his work. Barely 50% (if that) in my estimation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanir View Post
FYI theoretical astrophysicists place two events most likely to result in armaggeddon. Medium body stellar impact, a meteor or comet, meteor is mostly likely, one approx 100km diameter with a high iron content would do it and we'd never know about it. Just last week one passed within 7000km of the Earth and nobody saw it coming. That's well inside the communications satellites orbit for example, it was like "Oh check that out, we nearly got blown to bits, wow that was lucky."
You know, I actually laugh at how often that could be the case and how close it is to happening all the time.

As you said in you latter paragraph: unless you know for certain, one does not spend their life worrying about such things. If we knew for certain, we're not exactly in a position to do anything about it, are we? We'd all probably just say goodbye to each other while we stand on the cliffside and watch our end in the sky. Praying there's more to this existence, like an afterlife. Some, however, are not as faithful to that, perhaps out of fear.
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-17-2009, 02:03 AM   #35
Tobias Reiper
Spah creepin' around here
 
Tobias Reiper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Right behind you.
Posts: 396
Current Game: Various Games.
LucasCast staff 
Quote:
Originally Posted by purifier View Post
And now, from what I'm hearing, some individuals or groups are looking for large deep underground shelters to hide in when it supposely does happen.
They do realize it's called the end of the WORLD, and that will include the end of their little shelter with it, so there's no escape, right?
Personally, I don't believe it, but I look forward to the day when they come out of their shelter, 30 years later, to find the world intact, and hearing them yell
"FFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-"
to the heavens.


"There is no way to be better than everyone else, but being kind and having a sense of humor certainly helps." -Me, my quote on life.
Tobias Reiper is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-17-2009, 02:42 AM   #36
purifier
Forumite
 
purifier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: DisneyLand
Posts: 721
LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA:SWcity View Post
Well, I mean look at the wars: if it is not vying for power, it's about resources at its heart. Oh sure, religion this and that is responsible for the wars and blah-blah-blah. There are few nations in holy war in the world. Even religious ideology as a reason for a war can't be *entirely* dissociated from vying for power. Sure it could stand upon its own. So could a fight for freedom. But think further and you will find it is all about power.

If it sounds like I have practiced and said this many times before it is because I have thought upon this many times. While I'm sure someone can come up with another reason--I don't really see how it couldn't ultimately be traced to power and resources. Else it is just......beyond stupidity. Wouldn't you agree?

So far as end of world catastrophes...war is not the do-all to end-all that would wipe life off the face of the planet. Unless someone figures out Tesla's secrets and mangaes to turn our entire atmosphere into plasma and fry everything. Which I highly doubt because all of our brightest and best scientists since have not been able to 100% replicate his work. Barely 50% (if that) in my estimation.
It's the most likely scenario, without resources - civilization is pretty much screwed.




Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias Reaper
They do realize it's called the end of the WORLD, and that will include the end of their little shelter with it, so there's no escape, right?
Personally, I don't believe it, but I look forward to the day when they come out of their shelter, 30 years later, to find the world intact, and hearing them yell
"FFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-"
to the heavens.

I guess they figure it won't be the end of the planet itself, but just some major upheavels or something across the globe. Some of it has got to do with those damn 2012 doomsday books people keep reading. Some of the books are suppose tell you how to survive it and how to continue on living, etc.

I wouldn't be surprised if some new suicide cults develop from this 2012 doom hype.


SITH HAPPENS
purifier is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-17-2009, 11:44 AM   #37
JuniorModder
Junior Member
 
JuniorModder's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 371
Don't worry, the world ain't ending any time soon.

JuniorModder
JuniorModder is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-21-2010, 08:09 PM   #38
Isaac Clarke
Junior Member
 
Isaac Clarke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias Reiper
They do realize it's called the end of the WORLD, and that will include the end of their little shelter with it, so there's no escape, right?
Personally, I don't believe it, but I look forward to the day when they come out of their shelter, 30 years later, to find the world intact, and hearing them yell
"FFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-"
to the heavens.
Doesn't everyone?
Isaac Clarke is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-21-2010, 09:46 PM   #39
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR
 
mimartin's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,049
Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 


Friendly Reminder: Please don't resurrect, bump long dead and forgotten thread unless you have something to actually add to the topic. Without actually adding something to the topic it is considered spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rules for Kavar’s Corner


mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-21-2010, 10:20 PM   #40
Darth Avlectus
Your point?
 
Darth Avlectus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Attack on Titan
Posts: 4,255
Current Game: Soul Calibur 5
Umm, well, I'll try.

[HK-47] Observation: My some time has elapsed since this the last post in this thread.

It would appear since then that the meatbags worldwide are engaging in some kind of agitation metaphorically referred to as "sabre rattling".

Presumption: This action would be to either score political points, or to distract as a cover for something else going on.

Frustration: An assassin droid does so get bored and depressed waiting for a violent bloody war that seems to forever postpone itself to some undefined later date.

Suggestion: perhaps we should go out and start our own mayhem in some volatile part of the world to ignite the war? At least then we could stop talking about the end of the world.

Now, let's kill something. My treat. Teh-Hehh.
[/HK-47]


"I cant see S***! --YOU GO TO HELL!" --Tourettes guy
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Kavar's Corner > Even NASA says the world ain't ending in 2012

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:51 PM.

LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.