lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Heavy Rain
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 01-09-2010, 06:04 AM   #1
Meowster

Current Game: New Vegas/KotOR
Heavy Rain

Quote:
Heavy Rain is an upcoming PlayStation 3 video game being developed by French studio, Quantic Dream. The game is being directed by Quantic Dream's founder and CEO David Cage, who also wrote and directed the studio's two previous games, Omikron: The Nomad Soul and Fahrenheit. David Cage has confirmed a demo, but the Quantic Dream team is still choosing what "Scene" of the game shall be used for the demo.

"Heavy Rain is about normal people who have landed in extraordinary situations. I wanted a much more personal story. The first thing that came to my mind, as a father of two little boys, was that the main theme should simply be a father's love for his son. This is not a game about saving the princess or the world. Its [sic] purely about a father's love. The main story will revolve around four different characters, and we're putting the spotlight on their perceptions. The question 'what is good and what is evil' is the key here, that will be just a matter of viewpoint...I believe heavily in moral choices, I'm going to use them A LOT. They're not about being good or bad, but about finding the right balance."

A trigger button on the PlayStation 3 controller will move the character forward. It will take advantage of the button's analogue function, allowing the user to control the speed of the character's movement by pressing harder or softer on the button. The left analogue stick will control the movement of the character's head and the direction the character moves in relation to where the character is looking. David Cage explains that this frees the movement of the character from the perspective of the camera. The rest of the game is played using a series of context sensitive actions such as picking up a bottle in a grocery store and hitting a robber on the head with it, and quick time events, normally for chase and combat sequences.Action sequences, such as when the player is being attacked, play out as quick time events. Players will be presented with various symbols, requiring them to either press buttons, move the right analogue stick in a certain way, or shake or tilt the controller. Failure to execute these commands take the story along a different path, and certain mistakes will lead to a character's death.

If a character dies, the game does not end, and play control switches to another character, with the events of the previous character's death affecting the story.
From Wikipedia.

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKPPdgBK3r8
Gameplay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnck2oXdxMo
Another example of a fight scene: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bVhommaf_M

Anyone heard of it? It looks by far to be one of the best games this year... and with the big list of exclusives, I am finally glad to say that I bought a PS3. The gameplay is so.. bizarre yet intuitive. It is like one big movie that you direct each and every action of the story going on- and every action supposedly effects the story. It's made by Quantom Dream, and is similar to an older game they made known as Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit. The game is due to come out February 23rd, North America.

also, it's nice to be back. Haven't posted in awhile.

Last edited by Meowster; 01-09-2010 at 02:24 PM.
Meowster is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-09-2010, 09:39 AM   #2
swphreak
My cabbages!!!

10 year veteran! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran 
I'm intrigued by the game, but I'm unsure of how much I'd actually like it. I hope they release a demo on PSN.

I'm not a big fan of quick time events, and it looks like the whole game is nothing but quick time events.
swphreak is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-09-2010, 09:47 AM   #3
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
Jeebus, it really does look like just a big string of quick time events from that gameplay trailer...

Lynk Former is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-09-2010, 10:12 AM   #4
True_Avery
Banned

This game cannot decide whether to look fantastic, or like a Source game. I'm very impressed with just how much is in this game, but then again it's causing some lag and the animations sometimes drop heavily in quality scene to scene.

If its smoothed out even a little by release this should be one hell of a... game? movie?
True_Avery is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-09-2010, 10:24 AM   #5
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
One of the biggest aspects it needs improvement on is the facial animation. They have the models of the characters down pretty well, but when the camera gets too close to their face the illusion of reality is shattered simply because the eyes of the characters are looking lifeless and there are key facial animations that just aren't there.

Old 01-09-2010, 02:26 PM   #6
Meowster

Yeah, I definitely get what you mean when you say that. Model wise, I would say it is on par with Uncharted or Final Fantasy XIII, but the faces are a bit.. meh. The ever-changing storyline and the quick nature of many scenes will more than likely make up for it (to me at least). Normally, I do not like quick time events, but with this game.. it just works. I really hope the final product lives up to it. I am loving that even if you die, the story continues to go on.

edit: StarWarsPhreak- apparently there is a demo in the works judging by the article on Wikipedia.

Last edited by Meowster; 01-09-2010 at 02:35 PM. Reason: some news here and there
Old 01-09-2010, 03:28 PM   #7
Mav
8-Bit Code Monkey

Current Game: SWTOR
Jeff is buying a PS3 for this game.

"Women are like sunsets… they’re beautiful, but there will be a different one tomorrow." - Gilder
Mav is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-09-2010, 10:58 PM   #8
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

Jeff better be pretty damn sure this game is worth the effort.

Old 01-10-2010, 01:47 AM   #9
Mav
8-Bit Code Monkey

Jeff is sure about everything he does.

"Women are like sunsets… they’re beautiful, but there will be a different one tomorrow." - Gilder
Old 01-10-2010, 08:26 AM   #10
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

Jeff can be as sure as he wants, but we'll see where reality leads us.

Old 01-10-2010, 02:57 PM   #11
Mav
8-Bit Code Monkey

Jeff bends reality to his will, be grateful he finds you entertaining enough to keep around.

Old 01-10-2010, 04:52 PM   #12
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

Jeff can't do that, otherwise if that were so, then all of the negative points of Heavy Rain spoken of so far would not exist.

Old 01-10-2010, 04:54 PM   #13
Mav
8-Bit Code Monkey

Jeff leaves small aspects of negativity in the game, because he feels no game should be perfect.

Old 01-10-2010, 04:56 PM   #14
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

Jeff should at least use his reality bending powers to fix the facial animation problems which is a pretty big problem. He also needs to fix those really old skool camera issues I've seen in other videos.

Old 01-10-2010, 07:54 PM   #15
Mav
8-Bit Code Monkey

Jeff would like to point out that it's not even out yet, nor has it even gone gold, so for all you know these issues could have been addressed.

Old 01-10-2010, 08:34 PM   #16
Jeff
Rating: Awesome

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav View Post
Jeff bends reality to his will, be grateful he finds you entertaining enough to keep around.
This.

Follow me on Twitter
Follow StarWarsMMO.net on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
Jeff is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-11-2010, 04:30 AM   #17
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

@ Mav: I wish that were so... so many games of the past could've been saved if that were so...

Old 02-12-2010, 11:39 PM   #18
swphreak
My cabbages!!!

10 year veteran! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran 
The demo dropped on PSN if anyone missed it. I didn't know until someone mentioned it.

It was an interesting experience. I played the first level twice, and both times I made different choices and had different outcomes.

I still don't think I'll rush out and get the game the moment it hits stores, but I'll definitely pick it up eventually.
swphreak is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-13-2010, 05:14 AM   #19
Mav
8-Bit Code Monkey

Seeing as how I've exhausted Mass Effect 2 for now, having just finished a tiring Insanity play-through to boot... Anyway where was I? Oh yeah, I'll probably either pick up Heavy Rain shortly after release or go place a pre-order somewhere, so that I'll have something to play.

It's been getting pretty favorable reviews overall and I can't say I've played a game like it before (it's like a point-and-click/action adventure hybrid, with some Phoenix Wright-esque sleuthing thrown in) so I don't think I'll even try out the demo, I'll just get the game and see what it's like.

Old 02-13-2010, 05:32 AM   #20
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

Reviews I've seen have been saying that it's just okay and nothing special.

Old 02-13-2010, 03:16 PM   #21
Mav
8-Bit Code Monkey

Blargh

It looks more favorable than meh (same overall as Bioshock 2), but the downer ones seem to say that they didn't like the story, but then a lot of the more favorable ones liked the story, so I guess it's hit or miss, who knows. I'll play it for myself.

Old 02-14-2010, 02:08 AM   #22
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

Funnily enough I read Destructoid's review... I'll play Heavy Rain myself but I've agreed with Destructoid's reviews for practically all of the past games .

Old 02-14-2010, 04:29 AM   #23
Bob Lion54
Jr. Malkavian Detective

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
I can't tell if this game is super awesome or super terrible.

Bob Lion54 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-14-2010, 04:53 AM   #24
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Lion54 View Post
I can't tell if this game is super awesome or super terrible.
Exactly why I have to get this game and see for myself.

Old 02-28-2010, 11:17 PM   #25
Mav
8-Bit Code Monkey

Have it, played it.

It is neither super awesome nor super terrible, but I would say it would be much closer to the super awesome side of the scale than it would be to the super terrible side.

Last edited by Mav; 02-28-2010 at 11:29 PM.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:22 PM   #26
jrrtoken

It sounds like fun, seeing as it's by the same people that developed Omikron, but the PS3-exclusivity is... irksome, to say the least. Unlike Omikron, Heavy Rain doesn't have a soundtrack done by The David Bowie, so...
jrrtoken is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-01-2010, 09:08 PM   #27
Revan 411
Forumite

I enjoyed Fahrenheit (Which was developed by the same people who made Heavy Rain.) and if I had an extra 400 dollars lying around somewhere, I would be at the shops right now. Purchasing a Playstation 3, along with a copy of Heavy Rain.

I hate exclusivity.

Revan 411 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-02-2010, 05:51 PM   #28
Taak Farst
Eat The Rude

Alderaan News Holopics contributor Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revan 411 View Post
I enjoyed Fahrenheit (Which was developed by the same people who made Heavy Rain.) and if I had an extra 400 dollars lying around somewhere, I would be at the shops right now. Purchasing a Playstation 3, along with a copy of Heavy Rain.

I hate exclusivity.
Don't buy a ps3 and then realise u want mass effect 2 then :S

Taak Farst is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-02-2010, 06:59 PM   #29
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

http://www.destructoid.com/deadly-pr...n-165288.phtml

Hmmm... looks like there's another game I should've been paying attention to XD lol

Old 03-02-2010, 07:31 PM   #30
Revan 411
Forumite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taak Farst View Post
Don't buy a ps3 and then realise u want mass effect 2 then :S
I never bought Mass Effect 2 for the Xbox 360, so I don't know where you got that idea from.

And not trying to be a fan-boy, but I think I prefer Heavy Rain over Deadly Premonition. And please don't take this statement seriously. I'm just judging on what I've heard, not from what I've played. (And I haven't played either of these two games.)

Revan 411 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-02-2010, 07:56 PM   #31
Meowster

Haven't been able to buy this game yet, so I took the time to watch some live streams. And really.. it's nowhere near as bad as that Destructoid article makes it out to be. The only real faults that I can tell (from what I've seen in streams) is that it starts out slow and that the majority of the voice acting is sub-par. (This comes from the fact that the studio that made the game decided to reuse their French actors. Some of them pull it off very well, like Scott Shelby or Madison Page. But the kids sound downright horrendous.) The game has very intense things that go on, as Ethan has to go through different 'trials' to prove his love for his son:
spoiler:
one of these includes cutting off his finger in under five minutes, another is crawling through a tunnel of glass, etc.

One of the things that impresses me that most is that there are 17 different endings for the game. All of them completely different. In other news, PS3s are only about 340 now. Still a lot, but hey, if anyone wants one the price dropped quite a bit.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:20 PM   #32
Mav
8-Bit Code Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meowster View Post
Haven't been able to buy this game yet, so I took the time to watch some live streams. And really.. it's nowhere near as bad as that Destructoid article makes it out to be. The only real faults that I can tell (from what I've seen in streams) is that it starts out slow and that the majority of the voice acting is sub-par. (This comes from the fact that the studio that made the game decided to reuse their French actors. Some of them pull it off very well, like Scott Shelby or Madison Page. But the kids sound downright horrendous.) The game has very intense things that go on, as Ethan has to go through different 'trials' to prove his love for his son:
spoiler:
one of these includes cutting off his finger in under five minutes, another is crawling through a tunnel of glass, etc.

One of the things that impresses me that most is that there are 17 different endings for the game. All of them completely different. In other news, PS3s are only about 340 now. Still a lot, but hey, if anyone wants one the price dropped quite a bit.
I think the main thing that people are complaining about when it comes to Heavy Rain are the "plot holes" in the story. Without getting into too much detail and spoiling things there are some parts of the game where it seems like some parts of the puzzle are missing intentionally, but the whole picture is still clear. As far as the voice acting goes some characters are voiced well and some are horrid; the kids are indeed horrid.

Oh and that bit about 17 different endings is a little misleading. The "endings" are epilogue chapters and there are 17 different epilogue chapters. However, you have multiple epilogues unlock at the end of the game. In other words at the conclusion to your play-through you may see 4 of those 17 and if you play the game again but differently you might have 3 of those 17 and some might cross-over.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:56 PM   #33
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Notable contributor Helpful! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member 
I saw a video review...QT events for brushing your teeth or drying your nads with a towel.... preposterous.

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Astrotoy7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-04-2010, 06:21 PM   #34
Rake
Rookie

I got around 3/4 of the way through, was super excited to find out who the killer was and... the save game refuses to load. This game's glitchiness pisses me off.
Rake is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-04-2010, 08:48 PM   #35
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Notable contributor Helpful! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member 
@Rake... there's a bone going up your avvies backside, what's happening there

OT:
I also have heard from firends playing this who've encountered save glitches. What a pain.

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Astrotoy7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-06-2010, 04:16 PM   #36
Rake
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrotoy7 View Post
@Rake... there's a bone going up your avvies backside, what's happening there
Hehe, your one of the few to actually note that it is in fact a bone. It's an inside joke that one of my friends added to a cartoonish figure of me .

I ended up reloading 5-6 chapters back and finished the game, the experience was all around enjoyable, minus the save glitch. I must say, however, I would've liked more of an explanation at the end, maybe it's just because of my specific ending.
Rake is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > The Outlander Club > Heavy Rain

Tags
heavy, rain