lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Runescape
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 01-26-2010, 12:12 AM   #1
Ghost

Current Game: NBA 2k11
Runescape

Now I am sure some of you have played let alone heard of Runescape. It is one of the most popular MMO's of this day. It does not have the best engine nor the best graphics, but its gameplay is what drives people to play it. Recently, Jagex, the creators of Runescape, have made many improvements graphically to make the game seem more modern.

EDIT: A lot of people who like older games play it, I've played it for about 5 years so. It is kind of a medieval based game with dragons, swords, goblins, and knights and all that. But it is actually much more than that, and their holiday events are fun. The only thing I think that sucks about the game is that you use primarily your mouse. I do like the recent 3d keyboard games better than mouse games but it is still a great game. (end edit)

You can share your character if you want. Oh, and for those who don't know what or where it is:

http://www.runescape.com/

Oh, and heres my guy:

Nccjohnathon
Combat lvl 50
Cash: 2.7 mil

my last one was lvl 88, but i got bored of it and wanted to start fresh

So, how about you guys?
Ghost is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-26-2010, 12:32 AM   #2
Rogue Nine
*static*

Current Game: Bravely Default
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran LF Jester 
hahaha runescape lol

have a suggestion for the lf poll? pm me
Rogue Nine is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-26-2010, 02:30 AM   #3
True_Avery
Banned

I played Runescape the first year it came out. The graphics were beyond hilarious at the time.

That is the only fond memories I hold of that game. Go get Guild Wars.
True_Avery is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-26-2010, 03:33 AM   #4
JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan
ANTA BAKAAA?!

13 year old detected

mfw I read the Revan novel

it is not a cry of joy.
JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-26-2010, 05:22 PM   #5
Ghost

Guild Wars sucks balls. A lot of the newer mmos do. And to me, Even WoW sucks. The only one i think is better than Runescape is Sw Galaxies, but I can't afford it
Old 01-26-2010, 05:31 PM   #6
True_Avery
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathon-Mk II View Post
Guild Wars sucks balls. A lot of the newer mmos do. And to me, Even WoW sucks. The only one i think is better than Runescape is Sw Galaxies, but I can't afford it
Says the kid who thinks Runescape is a great "game".

It is a terrible flash MMO that was a failure of a game when it came out, and all it has done to improve upon itself like, 7 years is moderately improve its graphics from google images cut outs (not joking) to barely discernible sprites/3d models. And don't start with any "well, you don't play it right" or something, because I watch my cousins play this game all the time. Its atrocious.

Most MMOs suck. For that you have a point. But Runescape has, and always will be the butt of jokes when referencing "free" MMOs.

Also, you can play Galaxies for "free" off of Fan Emulator Servers.

Last edited by True_Avery; 01-26-2010 at 05:45 PM.
True_Avery is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-26-2010, 06:13 PM   #7
jawathehutt
Its 5 o'clock somewhere

Current Game: Age of Empires II
Runescape is one of the few games that doesnt even bother to hide the fact that it is a directionless online job for kids with too much time. At least most other MMOs bother putting in some direction and having the creativity to come up with more than 4 attack moves.

"Everyone that posts here is aware of the game, thanks though." ET
"It is Lucasarts"~ LordJhredmo
jawathehutt is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-26-2010, 06:24 PM   #8
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Nine View Post
hahaha runescape lol
rowlyea

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-27-2010, 12:03 AM   #9
Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by True_Avery
It is a terrible flash MMO
Right... Ever heard of MapleStory or AdventureQuest, now those are terrible. Atleast Runescape has good plots. RS Classic sucked, RS 2 doesn't.

Quote:
Runescape has, and always will be the butt of jokes when referencing "free" MMOs
Hmm, ever heard of Members? Or were you too cheap to try it out. Members has loads of stuff. And, look on there site. Wonder why millions of people play it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawathehutt
Runescape is one of the few games that doesnt even bother to hide the fact that it is a directionless online job for kids with too much time
Yeah, uh-huh, why is it that I know so many people that play it and they are 15 and up? My Uncle plays it, so yeah. If you say it is for kids, then why is it that only people 13 and up can play it?

Quote:
At least most other MMOs bother putting in some direction and having the creativity to come up with more than 4 attack moves.
Runescape has a plot, if you haven't noticed. And when you say most, that only means a few. Because most mmos I see and just 2-D wastelands. And most 3-D games are a waste of time because the are usually all graphics and spec effects and no good plot.

Quote:
Also, you can play Galaxies for "free" off of Fan Emulator Servers.
If you mean "Free" then you mean a "free" trial. Thats the only thing "free" I have seen in SW Galaxies.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:14 AM   #10
jawathehutt
Its 5 o'clock somewhere

Quote:
Yeah, uh-huh, why is it that I know so many people that play it and they are 15 and up? My Uncle plays it, so yeah. If you say it is for kids, then why is it that only people 13 and up can play it?
I know a person who plays it who is over 13. Thats right, 1 person. He is probably one of the most awkward and nerdy people I know. And I know a lot of very nerdy and awkward people. Everyone else either never played it because they thought it looked stupid or they played it and realized how pointless it was.

Quote:
Runescape has a plot, if you haven't noticed. And when you say most, that only means a few. Because most mmos I see and just 2-D wastelands. And most 3-D games are a waste of time because the are usually all graphics and spec effects and no good plot.
Sorry, but I don't consider sitting around killing chickens and cows for 20 hours a plot. And you clearly havent seen any MMOs recently. LOTRO has the books storyline thing. WoW has the warcraft universe which gets pretty deep. Guild Wars has the Charr and the undead and all the stuff after that I didn't bother to play because the expansions were weird. Eve Online makes its own story without the genocide of farm animals. And so on and so forth.

Old 01-27-2010, 12:20 AM   #11
Ghost

Quote:
Everyone else either never played it because they thought it looked stupid or they played it and realized how pointless it was.
Hmm, thats probably just you talking. A lot of people who do play it aren't nerds. Unless they play it 24/7. Then thats a nerd, but most people just play it like an hour then they're done.

Quote:
Sorry, but I don't consider sitting around killing chickens and cows for 20 hours a plot
then you must have not played the quests. If all you did was just do what you said, then that would have no taste. Do all the quests on Runescape then say it has no plot. Or are you just too proud and judgemental?

Quote:
WoW has the warcraft universe which gets pretty deep
WoW is for people who just are all about Spec. Effects. And that game can have bad effects on people. I know one who just can't get off it, and play it all day.

Next time you people pass judgement on a game, play it for atleast an hour or two.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:46 AM   #12
Hallucination
Baron von Sexy

Current Game: HKO closed beta
Quote:
WoW is for people who just are all about Spec. Effects.
Did you know that WoW has a combat system that is more than pointing, clicking and waiting?

Let's kill ourselves.
Hallucination is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-27-2010, 03:03 AM   #13
Mr. Shadow
Rookie

Current Game: Kotor II: TSL
Quote:
Atleast Runescape has good plots.

Runescape has a plot, if you haven't noticed.
Actually, no, I never noticed a plot in RuneScape.

Quote:
My Uncle plays it, so yeah.
Really? If he does that's pretty funny

My Youtube: Shadowrider117
My Website: Mr. Shadow's Mods
Mr. Shadow is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-27-2010, 03:22 AM   #14
Taak Farst
Eat The Rude

Alderaan News Holopics contributor Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Guild Wars sucks balls. A lot of the newer mmos do. And to me, Even WoW sucks.
And compared to them - you like Runescape?? what the hell do you smoke :PP

and what the hell is with taking turns to attack?? your saying to some dragon dude, OOO i just hit you for 12, NICE !! Your turn!

Taak Farst is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-27-2010, 05:34 AM   #15
Astor
It's Thornhill!

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
If you mean "Free" then you mean a "free" trial. Thats the only thing "free" I have seen in SW Galaxies.
No, she means 'free' as in playing on a private server, without subscription fees.

I don't know or really care about Runescape, tbh - it really doesn't look interesting to me personally.

Astor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-27-2010, 07:29 AM   #16
Canderis
Mercenary

Current Game: Skyrim
Veteran Modder Helpful! 
I use to play it. I loved it. Then, i got good. Then it sucked. Their way of adding new graphics sucks....

Canderis is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-27-2010, 08:21 AM   #17
Drunkside
Satan´s little helper

runescape... its total waste of time. at least to me. i played it for a few weeks when i was 7 years old, after that the whole directionlessness of the game got to me and i stopped. And havent even tried it after that. Guild wars is a good mmo, the only one i have liked (so far, we´ll see how TOR will do ), and if you prefer runescape over it you either 1) havent played gw 2) found it too hard 3)have a terribly low amount of living brain cells, and if that is the case i would suggest going to see a doctor.

Saivo´s New demo, A Cruel Northern Land is out! Listen to it on our mikseri.net bandpage.

http://www.mikseri.net/artists/?id=117610
Drunkside is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-27-2010, 09:23 AM   #18
jawathehutt
Its 5 o'clock somewhere

Quote:
Next time you people pass judgement on a game, play it for atleast an hour or two.
Sorry to make that entire post moot, but I have played. I had a level 40 something with fairly high fishing and a level 30 something with high wood cutting. Because when I was 13 I thought that anything that was free and addicting that allowed my friends to play with me was the best thing in the world. And then I discovered video games that actually have story lines and legit gameplay. So yes, I have played through a lot of the quests. Theyre not at all connected and usually just involve farming some monster or crafting material for a few hours.

Old 01-27-2010, 06:43 PM   #19
Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallucination
Did you know that WoW has a combat system that is more than pointing, clicking and waiting?
Yeah, I played it, but I still like RS better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Shadow
I never noticed a plot in RuneScape
Then you obviously did only the free quests. Try the members quests, then say there's no plot

Quote:
If he does that's pretty funny
Not really, he has played games for 20 years, and he says Runescape far surpasses mmos like WoW. He has taste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taak Farst
and what the hell is with taking turns to attack?? your saying to some dragon dude, OOO i just hit you for 12, NICE !! Your turn!
Thats not how it goes. People don't take turns, they race to get enemies, but fighting is not all in RS. A lot of different skills are in RS. In runescape its competition, and thats what gets players playing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canderis
Their way of adding new graphics sucks....
Not really, if you played high def, you would see a significant difference from the old RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunkside
runescape... its total waste of time
everyone else has said the same thing. But it does not mean it is a waste of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunkside
the whole directionlessness of the game got to me and i stopped
How is it directionless? Its an RPG game. If you had not noticed, there are sides in the game. Actually play it instead of zooming through it. Runescape takes patience, something a lot of people lack

Quote:
So yes, I have played through a lot of the quests. Theyre not at all connected and usually just involve farming some monster or crafting material for a few hours.
If you say that, then you must have only played like two quests. Most quests require different skills. As I said to Drunkside, you need patience.

Last edited by Ghost; 01-27-2010 at 06:44 PM. Reason: grammar and spelling
Old 01-27-2010, 06:51 PM   #20
Boba Rhett
I Slay Dragons

Current Game: Scrolling Eldery
LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! LF Jester Helpful! 
Runescape is considered a game now? Good lord.

Need Help? massage message me
Boba Rhett is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-27-2010, 07:25 PM   #21
TriggerGod

Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boba Rhett View Post
Runescape is considered a game now?
That's what I was wondering.
TriggerGod is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-27-2010, 07:51 PM   #22
Rogue Nine
*static*

Current Game: Bravely Default
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Then you obviously did only the free quests. Try the members quests, then say there's no plot
ahahahahahahhaha, you paid for stuff on runescape?! like, with real money? ahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaa

have a suggestion for the lf poll? pm me
Rogue Nine is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-27-2010, 09:26 PM   #23
Mr. Shadow
Rookie

Quote:

1. Then you obviously did only the free quests. Try the members quests, then say there's no plot

2. Not really, he has played games for 20 years, and he says Runescape far surpasses mmos like WoW. He has taste

3. Thats not how it goes. People don't take turns, they race to get enemies,
1. I have done members quests, and there was still no plot.

2. Really? That's sad, and he has no taste whatsoever.

3. We aren't talking about "racing to get enemies" we are talking about the actual combat.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:38 PM   #24
Ghost

Quote:
1. I have done members quests, and there was still no plot
really? have you done the high lvl quests and long ones?

Quote:
2. Really? That's sad, and he has no taste whatsoever.
Says you, he has taste for games w/ plot and originality, not games that are all graphics. He can probably name many more games he played than you. If all you like is pure spec effects, then that's sad

Quote:
3. We aren't talking about "racing to get enemies" we are talking about the actual combat.
mm-hm, Runescape has that for a reason. Drops. If people just attacked the same enemies, and no competiton, who would get the drop of cash or items? Because it would just be disapointing for that. If you like attacking other people's targets, just go to duel zones.

Quote:
ahahahahahahhaha, you paid for stuff on runescape?! like, with real money? ahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaa
So, what's the big deal? It's my decision, not yours. I like Runescape, and you can't change my decision

Last edited by Ghost; 01-27-2010 at 09:43 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:45 PM   #25
Rabish Bini
Sydney Roosters Genius

Current Game: KotOR III
Quote:
Says you, he has taste for games w/ plot and originality, not games that are all graphics. He can probably name many more games he played than you. If all you like is pure spec effects and no originality or plot, then that's sad
You couldn't see a game with a good plot if it came up to you and slapped you in the face.
Quote:
So, what's the big deal? It's my decision, not yours. I like Runescape, and you can't change my decision
Wait. You paid for it?

Yes
Rabish Bini is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-27-2010, 10:11 PM   #26
Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabish Bini
You couldn't see a game with a good plot if it came up to you and slapped you in the face.
Really? Let me count the number of game plots i know are good

1. Freelancer
2. Star Wars Jedi Knight Series
3. Star Wars Kotor of course
4. Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2
5. X-Wing Series
6. Rogue Squadron
7. Battlestar Galactica (the game)

I got plenty more where that came from buddy, care for more?
Old 01-27-2010, 10:28 PM   #27
Rabish Bini
Sydney Roosters Genius

KotOR? MW2? Good plot? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Great games, sub-par plots

None of those had a plot which really stood out, look for games like the Metal Gear Solid series, or Grim Fandango or such

Yes
Old 01-27-2010, 10:51 PM   #28
Ghost

If you played K2 with restored content mod, then it is a good plot. But, this is all opinion talk. Enough off topic, for once can someone post something positive about the game?
Old 01-27-2010, 11:04 PM   #29
Hallucination
Baron von Sexy

Current Game: HKO closed beta
I like how it keeps people who like it away from other, better MMO's.

Let's kill ourselves.
Hallucination is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-27-2010, 11:14 PM   #30
Ghost

very funny

edit: but, some mmos do have less ppl than runescape, that is true
Old 01-27-2010, 11:18 PM   #31
Rabish Bini
Sydney Roosters Genius

No-ones gonna say something positive about it because there is nothing positive about it

Yes
Old 01-27-2010, 11:33 PM   #32
Darth InSidious
A handful of dust.

Current Game: KotOR II
Out of morbid curiosity and severe boredom I tried Runescape once.

It was, needless to say, abominable.

Works-In-Progress
~
Mods Released
~
Quid existis in desertum videre?
Darth InSidious is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-28-2010, 12:22 AM   #33
Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabish Bini View Post
No-ones gonna say something positive about it because there is nothing positive about it
that's your opinion, but not everybody shares it
Old 01-28-2010, 12:43 AM   #34
Mr. Shadow
Rookie

Quote:
1. really? have you done the high lvl quests and long ones?

2. Says you, he has taste for games w/ plot and originality, not games that are all graphics. He can probably name many more games he played than you. If all you like is pure spec effects, then that's sad
1. Yes, really, and I still saw NO plot.

2. No, it's not all special effects for me, I do like games with good plot. Yes, he probably has played more games then me, (I'm 99% sure I'm younger then him.) but why does the amount of games played matter?

Old 01-28-2010, 12:47 AM   #35
Ghost

its not the amount, its quality.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:53 AM   #36
Meowster

Current Game: New Vegas/KotOR
I didn't know people still played Runescape? Wow.. that brings me back several years. I would never play it ever again, however. Much too clunky and.. strange. There are much better MMOs like World of Warcraft, or FFXI, or Guild Wars (technically not an mmo but still tons of fun.)
Meowster is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-28-2010, 04:21 PM   #37
Det. Bart Lasiter
obama.png

Current Game: all
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Nine View Post
****in lol i avoided this thread because runescape but i wish i hadn't now haahahahahahahaa

"No, Mama. You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty whoever put that hit on you already got the cops in their back pocket." ~Black Dynamite
Det. Bart Lasiter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-07-2010, 11:45 AM   #38
none223
Rookie

Current Game: Way to many to name
Ok, Runescape was good about 3 years ago. It was one of the good MMOs, and the best free one. I started an account back then. And I loved it. Now it sucks. Lets count all of the bad things that have happened:

1) They took "Wildy"! Wildy was the best! I mean, you could trick people into fist fighting you, and then killing them and taking everything they had.

2) They took away uneven trading. I used that to steal from my sis's accounts, and now I can only take 10k every 15 minutes. Stupid.

3) They never gave Non-Members anything good. We were, and will aways be stuck with the same stuff released at the beginning of the game.

Now, FYI, AdventureQuest is a RPG, not a MMORPG. There IS a new game by them called AdventureQuest Worlds which is pretty interesting, mainly because it is new, not old.

Most every MMO gets boring eventually. You run out of things to do, and you realize you have better things to do (like complain about them on forums).

And you actually PAID for RuneScape? Fail......
none223 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-13-2010, 01:11 PM   #39
Nedak
Beelzebozo

LucasCast Jingle Composer Forum Veteran Hot Topic Starter 
I used to play Runescape when I was younger.

It was an amazing MMO when it was in 2D and when it went 3D it slowly went down hill.

Amazing memories PKing in the wilderness. Oh the grief... so much grief.

Now the game, as I've heard, is a perversion of what the original game was. You have a certain amount of time to reloot your items you lose in the wild? What kind of bull**** is that? And I guess the entire community is based off of little kids... no thank you.

If you want to play a good MMO wait for something like Earthrise or Mortal Online to come out.

Or pray for SWGEMU.

EDIT:
An yes...I payed for the membership of the game...when it was decent.
Nedak is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > The Outlander Club > Runescape