lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Contacting Aliens
Thread Tools Display Modes
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 01-28-2010, 06:44 AM   #1
jonathan7
Exiled Jedi...
 
jonathan7's Avatar
 
Status: Moderator
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ivory Tower
Posts: 3,676
Contest winner - Modding LFN Staff Member Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Contacting Aliens

Times Article

Is it just me, or does contacting potential Aliens which we know nothing about seem like a monumentally stupid idea? The arrogance of these scientists greatly annoys me; personally, I'd say you have to err on the side of caution, given that if any extra-terrestrial life forms have figuered out how to get from point a to point b in the universe; wiping out us, would be comparatively a piece of cake.

Of course personally, I think there may well be life out there (statistically it would seem monumentally long), but I think we are the most intelligent lifeform in the universe. Howevewr, if I'm proven wrong, I'd rather not have ET calling by earth; the only place where humanity currently resides.



"Love is the only reality and it is not a mere sentiment. It is the ultimate truth that lies at the heart of creation." - Rabindranath Tagore

"Many a doctrine is like a window pane. We see truth through it but it divides us from truth." - Kahlil Gibran
jonathan7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-28-2010, 07:36 AM   #2
Totenkopf
English spoken in What
 
Totenkopf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: What?
Posts: 4,787
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
Well, we're certainly the most intelligent (more's the pity, I suppose) lifeform in the universe we're aware of currently. But, as long as we're restricted to this planet I'd agree we should be more reticent about reaching out to others who's intentions we've no clue about at all.


Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.---Teddy Roosevelt

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception.---Groucho

And if you all get killed, I'll piss on your graves.---Shaman Urdnot

How would you like to own a little bit of my foot in your ass.---Red Foreman
Totenkopf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-28-2010, 10:09 AM   #3
jawathehutt
Its 5 o'clock somewhere
 
jawathehutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,635
Current Game: Age of Empires II
If a cat meows at you, do you grab your BFG and atomize it? If aliens are as sophisticated as you claim, wouldn't they probably 1. Already know where we are or at least have some suspicion, its not like we're a very quiet planet. And 2. Not really care that much. What threat do we pose to them, probably none. Or maybe they're also stuck on their first planet with less/not much more technology and we'll be like intergalactic penpals.



"Everyone that posts here is aware of the game, thanks though." ET
"It is Lucasarts"~ LordJhredmo
jawathehutt is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-28-2010, 11:24 AM   #4
mur'phon
Whale eating vegetarian
 
mur'phon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Southier than thou
Posts: 1,537
Forum Veteran 
And maybe Dodos thought the same way before calling out to some nearby humans


Checking out seems not to do much.
mur'phon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-28-2010, 11:36 AM   #5
jonathan7
Exiled Jedi...
 
jonathan7's Avatar
 
Status: Moderator
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ivory Tower
Posts: 3,676
Contest winner - Modding LFN Staff Member Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jawathehutt View Post
If a cat meows at you, do you grab your BFG and atomize it? If aliens are as sophisticated as you claim, wouldn't they probably 1. Already know where we are or at least have some suspicion, its not like we're a very quiet planet. And 2. Not really care that much. What threat do we pose to them, probably none. Or maybe they're also stuck on their first planet with less/not much more technology and we'll be like intergalactic penpals.
This to be franks seems foolish, you make a number of assumptions about how Aliens are going to be, now I'm not saying they are going to be hostile. But I don't think we should assume anything of their intentions, and because we can't know what any potential aliens will be like erring on the side of caution is the logical choice.

Furthermore I have to wonder how "aliens are as sophisticated as you claim" - I don't actually claim any level of sophistication for any said Alien life forms; I merely point out if they have somehow managed to figuer out how to travel monumental distances in space their technology will be fair beyond our own. Personally I would be highly sceptical that there are advanced life-forms like us out there, but we shall see.. I do think there may well be more life out there, given the odds of their not must by statistically very long; but I don't personally think they will be more advanced than us.



"Love is the only reality and it is not a mere sentiment. It is the ultimate truth that lies at the heart of creation." - Rabindranath Tagore

"Many a doctrine is like a window pane. We see truth through it but it divides us from truth." - Kahlil Gibran

Last edited by jonathan7; 01-28-2010 at 12:02 PM.
jonathan7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-28-2010, 12:08 PM   #6
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR
 
mimartin's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,047
Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jawathehutt View Post
If a cat meows at you, do you grab your BFG and atomize it?
Wait, who has been talking around here?


There are a thousand things I worry about everyday scientist trying to phone ET is not even on the list.

If they do make contact with an intelligent species, then my biggest fear would not be from that species, but from my fellow man. I just don’t know how mankind would handle knowing that he was not alone in the universe. I also don’t know how many of us would handle the religious ramifications of such a discovery.

That said, I still like the idea that someone is trying to find those answers if for no other reason than my own selfish desire to know if we are really alone.


mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-28-2010, 12:16 PM   #7
Qui-Gon Glenn
Necessary Roughneck
 
Qui-Gon Glenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Thessia
Posts: 1,465
Current Game: ME3MP, Arkham Origins
Folder extraordinaire Helpful! Forum Veteran Veteran Modder 
I tend to see this on both sides of the fence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J7
The arrogance of these scientists greatly annoys me
Agreed.

I fail to see the point in reaching out in such a way, as it only invites possibly bad results, such as the invading chihuahua loving Martians.

If there is intelligent life outside of our planet, which as has been noted seems statistically and logically probable, it is going to be in degrees relative to ours, higher and lower, as a result of the length of their societies development... I think if any planet has intelligent life that is able to get over regional difference and cultural bias and truly go global could make quantum advances in a remarkably short amount of time. Tough task though, some may say impossible.

A culture capable of incredible technology... has to be a result of incredible intelligence coupled with incredible cooperation... cooperative intelligence that is non-Borg must be somewhat friendly... friendly beings don't vaporize civilizations to rape raw materials...

Just a linear thought chain, not something that I would propose as an argument, but reflective perhaps of my belief.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin
I also don’t know how many of us would handle the religious ramifications of such a discovery.
That is a large question... would be an earth-shaker for many. Perhaps part of that fuels the search. "Our" reaction would be, well, fascinating. My own reaction I think I can envision quite easily, and I wonder how nearly it would jive with the powers-that-is' view?

Last edited by Qui-Gon Glenn; 01-28-2010 at 12:23 PM.
Qui-Gon Glenn is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-28-2010, 02:38 PM   #8
machievelli
Local curmudgeon
 
machievelli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Las Vegas Nevada
Posts: 2,820
Current Game: Dungeonseige series
Hot Topic Starter Veteran Fan Fic Author Helpful! Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by qui_gon_glenn View Post
I tend to see this on both sides of the fence.

Agreed.

I fail to see the point in reaching out in such a way, as it only invites possibly bad results, such as the invading chihuahua loving Martians.

If there is intelligent life outside of our planet, which as has been noted seems statistically and logically probable, it is going to be in degrees relative to ours, higher and lower, as a result of the length of their societies development... I think if any planet has intelligent life that is able to get over regional difference and cultural bias and truly go global could make quantum advances in a remarkably short amount of time. Tough task though, some may say impossible.

A culture capable of incredible technology... has to be a result of incredible intelligence coupled with incredible cooperation... cooperative intelligence that is non-Borg must be somewhat friendly... friendly beings don't vaporize civilizations to rape raw materials...

Just a linear thought chain, not something that I would propose as an argument, but reflective perhaps of my belief.

EDIT: That is a large question... would be an earth-shaker for many. Perhaps part of that fuels the search. "Our" reaction would be, well, fascinating. My own reaction I think I can envision quite easily, and I wonder how nearly it would jive with the powers-that-is' view?
Since they have been sending messages at the stars for about 30 odd years, it's too late to worry about it, if there is anyone out there listening, they are already on the way or ignoring us.

As for the religious ramifications, I remember a 70s era cartoon in Playboy where a cow, a sheep, a horse and a dog are all thinking 'god' made them in his image. My religion does not teach that my version of god is the be all and end all, if someone like that is in charge of any such contacts, I expect the world to be in a heap of trouble.


'To argue with those who have renounced the use and authority of reason is as futile as to administer medicine to the dead.' Now who said that?

From the one who brought you;
What we die for...
Acceptance
KOTOR excerpts
Star Wars: The Beginning
Star Wars: Republic Dawn
Return From Exile
machievelli is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-28-2010, 05:24 PM   #9
JediRevan1
Lurker
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 9
If extraterrestrials have discovered Earth and are intelligent, they have seen what mankind has done not only to the Earth but to each other as well. If they have seen this, they have deemed this planet not worth visiting due to the violence, racism, and hatred shown by mankind to each other. I forgot to add that proof has been established that the Earth was visited by extraterrestrials millenia ago. There are cave drawings in Europe, Africa, Australia, and Asia that show their visits. How else can you explain the pyramids and the Aztec and Mayan temples?
JediRevan1 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-28-2010, 06:12 PM   #10
Blix
Veteran
 
Blix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Aboard the Ravager
Posts: 865
Current Game: Morrowind & Dark Arisen
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan7 View Post
Times Article

Is it just me, or does contacting potential Aliens which we know nothing about seem like a monumentally stupid idea?

Somewhere out there a bat is flying upside-down with a monumental headache


Blix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-28-2010, 06:15 PM   #11
mur'phon
Whale eating vegetarian
 
mur'phon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Southier than thou
Posts: 1,537
Forum Veteran 
Why the heck would the pyramids be evidence of extraterrestrials?

Quote:
A culture capable of incredible technology... has to be a result of incredible intelligence coupled with incredible cooperation... cooperative intelligence that is non-Borg must be somewhat friendly... friendly beings don't vaporize civilizations to rape raw materials...
I don't see why cooperation is neccesary, having multiple nations competing can be a nice way to fuel innovation.

Oh, and like mim I worry about aliens about as much as I worry about being killed by squirrels.


Checking out seems not to do much.
mur'phon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-28-2010, 07:42 PM   #12
Darth Avlectus
Your point?
 
Darth Avlectus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Attack on Titan
Posts: 4,254
Current Game: Soul Calibur 5
I sometimes wonder if there isn't another partition in this universe for the creator's...shall we call it "team".

I don't really assume the extra terrestrial are necessarily friendly or malevolent, though I do agree attracting external attention just for the sake of it is rather foolhardy.

Err on the side of caution.

IIRC Nikola Tesla actually tried to "contact the gods" at his Wardenclyffe labs. (Personally I really think he was closer to triggering the electrical breakdown of our entire atmosphere and igniting the earth into another sun!)

I have seen those reports of crop circles, and while many of them are frauds, some havd reports of folded grass/plant/etc/ in just such a way that it was not harmed. I don't know of conventional means to do that at least. Not saying it was necessarily extra terrestrial, though. Leading me to

Also, Egyptian pyramids and mummies: I've seen them documented where some humanoids had an elongated skull. There is still a lot here we don't know. Perhaps watchmen of an ancient civilization still exist elsewhere?
There is a ton of mysteries from the past relating here we don't know.

Another thing: Heaven Sky, Hell fire brimstone underground... Heaven off the planet, hell at the center of earth maybe? Doesn't seem like a far stretch. I am open to the possibility none of this necessarily contradicts religion--just maybe religion tells the story from a certain point of view? ...Just saying... Maybe we just don't understand jack squat?

If these beings are less intelligent, then I don't see how it matters.
If these beings are just as intelligent (if not even more so), then for all we know there may be some amongst us and nobody realizes it.
If absolutely more intelligent, we may never know...


*Awaiting the bombardment from my fellow forumites*

All I am getting at here is it's really just one more variable.


"I cant see S***! --YOU GO TO HELL!" --Tourettes guy
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-28-2010, 08:05 PM   #13
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR
 
mimartin's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,047
Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA:SWcity View Post
Err on the side of caution.
If mankind were to error on the side of caution we would still be living in caves eating parrots.

We never would have walked on the moon.

Split the atom (oh wait).


mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-28-2010, 08:17 PM   #14
jonathan7
Exiled Jedi...
 
jonathan7's Avatar
 
Status: Moderator
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ivory Tower
Posts: 3,676
Contest winner - Modding LFN Staff Member Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Just an observation here; It's funny how people's own opinions seem to be imprinted onto Aliens. So first of all there seems to be thinking that aliens will use "logic" or think in a similar style to us. However personally I think if aliens exsist they will be so different from us, anything we can think of currently doesn't get close to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediRevan1 View Post
If extraterrestrials have discovered Earth and are intelligent, they have seen what mankind has done not only to the Earth but to each other as well. If they have seen this, they have deemed this planet not worth visiting due to the violence, racism, and hatred shown by mankind to each other.
Again, I'd say t his - It's funny how people's own opinions seem to be imprinted onto Aliens; you have your own view of mankind, and as such strangely Aliens have the same view? Presuming the Aliens think that way, perhaps the Aliens would revere violence as survival of the fittest, perhaps they are pacifists, perhaps they think and feel things we could never comprehend. That is all to say that how on earth do you know the aliens think the above? Apart from the fact, that's what you think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediRevan1 View Post
I forgot to add that proof has been established that the Earth was visited by extraterrestrials millenia ago. There are cave drawings in Europe, Africa, Australia, and Asia that show their visits. How else can you explain the pyramids and the Aztec and Mayan temples?
You what? Please submit any of this evidence here please; and as unbiased as possible please. Furthermore I don't see what Pyramids, which are considerably different in structure really show? Aside from perhaps man had seen similar and copied, or man was thinking along similar lines. Unless of course the wheel is also apparent proof of extra-terrestrial life. To be very honest, all we know of astro-physics currently makes me think that space travel would be impossible given the distances involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mur'phon View Post
Why the heck would the pyramids be evidence of extraterrestrials?
QFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mur'phon View Post
Oh, and like mim I worry about aliens about as much as I worry about being killed by squirrels.
I'm not really worried about it, but broadcasting signals into space, seems about as wise to me as running around in a pitch dark forest singing; sure there could be a nice furry animal who's friendly alternatively you may run into a grizzly...



"Love is the only reality and it is not a mere sentiment. It is the ultimate truth that lies at the heart of creation." - Rabindranath Tagore

"Many a doctrine is like a window pane. We see truth through it but it divides us from truth." - Kahlil Gibran
jonathan7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-28-2010, 08:48 PM   #15
Ghost
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: in your head
Posts: 478
Current Game: NBA 2k11
Of course other planets would contain life, and maybe intelligent life. But we may not be the most intelligent life form in the universe. There is much more out there than we can comprehend. Many people say they have seen or have been abducted by aliens for years. In fact on History Channel they have this UFO chaser show, but idk, i bet its fake
Ghost is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-28-2010, 08:48 PM   #16
Darth Avlectus
Your point?
 
Darth Avlectus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Attack on Titan
Posts: 4,254
Current Game: Soul Calibur 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin View Post
If mankind were to error on the side of caution we would still be living in caves eating parrots.
WHAT?! I object! I'd be eating coyotes!
Quote:
We never would have walked on the moon.
It was all a fabrication done by the U.S. government!!! Those were faked videos.
Quote:
Split the atom (oh wait).
Umm, heh-heheh-heh. I split atoms in my own special way after I eat chili. heheh-heh-heh. [/Beavis]


"I cant see S***! --YOU GO TO HELL!" --Tourettes guy
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-28-2010, 08:58 PM   #17
Ghost
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: in your head
Posts: 478
Current Game: NBA 2k11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin
If mankind were to error on the side of caution we would still be living in caves eating parrots.


Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin
Split the atom (oh wait).
Of course! If we had not split the atom, then our defenses would be surely weak, and we would have not won ww2! Then we would be wiped out with little to no defense against aliens. Unless we did it Will Smith style from Independance Day. But then again, they used a nuke as well

Last edited by Ghost; 01-28-2010 at 09:03 PM.
Ghost is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-28-2010, 09:04 PM   #18
Tommycat
º¿º>^..^<
 
Tommycat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,577
Current Game: Real Life 1.0(BETA)
Forum Veteran 
I don't mind us calling out to them, I just don't think we should be making telemarketing calls during dinner. I mean we're advertising a healthy planet with scores of resources, an ample slave population and food supply(IT'S A COOK BOOK!!!). Ya know even if the majority of life out there are good and nice, think about it, if we're just shouting in all directions, chances are we're gonna hit the bad aliens first. Why, you ask? because they would be the ones to have expanded and spread their empire the furthest, thereby increasing the chances of hearing our dinner bell.

Of course it's entirely possible they already know we're here and just think it's best NOT to play with the crazies.


"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." Thomas Jefferson
Tommycat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-28-2010, 11:51 PM   #19
Darth Avlectus
Your point?
 
Darth Avlectus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Attack on Titan
Posts: 4,254
Current Game: Soul Calibur 5
Or they simply have integrated with us already and most of us are unaware.

Regarding Egypt and pyramids:
The only thing about the pyramids is that we simply don't know all their secrets. Aren't there amphitheaters even modern technology can't replicate? Or how did the tens to hundreds of tons of solid mass come to be shaped and built into these structures without any equipment?

I seriously doubt people ALONE could have done it THAT well made or THAT big--sure we have "evidence" claiming that they did but honestly there are too many pieces missing and any conjecture or statements claiming to know would be an argument from ignorance at best: We weren't there when it happened so how would we know?

As to J7's comment about people reading more presumptions into aliens than may actually be true... Agreed.

I try to consider all possibilities since we don't actually have any hard truth on them. Even Roswell is...hazy at best.
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-29-2010, 12:41 AM   #20
Tommycat
º¿º>^..^<
 
Tommycat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,577
Current Game: Real Life 1.0(BETA)
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA:SWcity View Post
Or they simply have integrated with us already and most of us are unaware.

Regarding Egypt and pyramids:
The only thing about the pyramids is that we simply don't know all their secrets. Aren't there amphitheaters even modern technology can't replicate? Or how did the tens to hundreds of tons of solid mass come to be shaped and built into these structures without any equipment?

I seriously doubt people ALONE could have done it THAT well made or THAT big--sure we have "evidence" claiming that they did but honestly there are too many pieces missing and any conjecture or statements claiming to know would be an argument from ignorance at best: We weren't there when it happened so how would we know?

As to J7's comment about people reading more presumptions into aliens than may actually be true... Agreed.

I try to consider all possibilities since we don't actually have any hard truth on them. Even Roswell is...hazy at best.
Well we do have some evidence that the great pyramids are the end of a series of trial and error to get it right. There are several pyramids that have collapsed and or had massive structure problems. Do we feel that aliens helped build the cathedrals in Europe? Sure there's around 3k years difference, but since progress is non-linear, and the pyramids are far less complex than the cathedrals of Europe, isn't it possible that they just happened to be built by people and designed by people?

I think IF aliens saw us, they would be more interested in our planet's resources than in us. Well aside from maybe training us to be pets. I hear we can be housebroken pretty easily. And we are capable of quite a number of tricks. We'll make great pets.


"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." Thomas Jefferson
Tommycat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-29-2010, 02:29 AM   #21
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月
 
Sabretooth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA:SWcity View Post
I seriously doubt people ALONE could have done it THAT well made or THAT big--sure we have "evidence" claiming that they did but honestly there are too many pieces missing and any conjecture or statements claiming to know would be an argument from ignorance at best: We weren't there when it happened so how would we know?
I had the same doubts concerning Burj Khalifa until I struck upon the golden rule of world-awing architecture: have lots of money, and lots of cheap (preferably free) labour. Does amazing things.


Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-30-2010, 10:11 AM   #22
Scatter
Rookie
 
Scatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 51
christ j7, snip

p.s. we've been broadcasting signals into space for over 75 years now. bit late to worry about it...

Moderator note [01-30-2010 12:33 PM]

Please attack the message not the messenger. jonathan7 has just as much a right to his opinion as you. If you don’t like his opinion then attack it with facts that add to the topic. Resorting to name calling adds nothing to the discussion. I suggest you read the rules of the forum and the specific sections you post in. - mimartin


Last edited by mimartin; 01-30-2010 at 12:33 PM.
Scatter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-30-2010, 10:21 AM   #23
Det. Bart Lasiter
obama.png
 
Det. Bart Lasiter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: `(•.°)~
Posts: 7,997
Current Game: all
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
fight him to the death



"No, Mama. You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty whoever put that hit on you already got the cops in their back pocket." ~Black Dynamite
Det. Bart Lasiter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-30-2010, 10:21 AM   #24
jonathan7
Exiled Jedi...
 
jonathan7's Avatar
 
Status: Moderator
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ivory Tower
Posts: 3,676
Contest winner - Modding LFN Staff Member Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatter View Post
christ j7, ~snipped~
The word to describe my position would be pragmatic.

Furthermore, I fail to see how I have been hypocritical; the only thing I think of Aliens (if they exist) is that they will be very different to us, I don't know if they would be friendly or not.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatter View Post
p.s. we've been broadcasting signals into space for over 75 years now. bit late to worry about it...
Doesn't mean it's a good idea



"Love is the only reality and it is not a mere sentiment. It is the ultimate truth that lies at the heart of creation." - Rabindranath Tagore

"Many a doctrine is like a window pane. We see truth through it but it divides us from truth." - Kahlil Gibran

Last edited by Jae Onasi; 01-30-2010 at 01:56 PM. Reason: deleted portion of quote that mimartin deleted above and response for continuity
jonathan7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-30-2010, 03:36 PM   #25
JediRevan1
Lurker
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 9
if you check out this website, library.thinkquest.org/04oct/00451/cavedrawings.htm, it has several very interesting cave drawings that depict extraterrestrials in helmets
JediRevan1 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-30-2010, 04:32 PM   #26
Q
The one who knocks
 
Q's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: ABQ
Posts: 6,643
Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
I don't believe that qualifies as proof.

I'm sort of indifferent to this matter. All I can say is "To Serve Man".


"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-30-2010, 04:57 PM   #27
TKA-001
I sneer at thee.
 
TKA-001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,535
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediRevan1 View Post
If extraterrestrials have discovered Earth and are intelligent, they have seen what mankind has done not only to the Earth but to each other as well. If they have seen this, they have deemed this planet not worth visiting due to the violence, racism, and hatred shown by mankind to each other.
So only humans are *******s? Why aren't aliens *******s too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediRevan1 View Post
I forgot to add that proof has been established that the Earth was visited by extraterrestrials millenia ago. There are cave drawings in Europe, Africa, Australia, and Asia that show their visits. How else can you explain the pyramids and the Aztec and Mayan temples?
People love things that are mysterious. Old things are mysterious. Therefore, old civilizations are mysterious, because the only things we know of them are artifacts which are many hundreds and thousands of years old.

Mysterious **** is cool. Therefore, people love to believe that ancient mysterious people knew stuff that we don't. Ancient mysterious people never had people with boring, ordinary lives. There were never any Egyptians who had a single mundane, stupid day in their lives. They were busy chatting it up with the aliens who built the pyramids for them. There were never any Aztecs who had to build houses, or even do something as simple as take a piss off in the woods. They were too busy drawing calendars which predicted that world's destruction would occur on a date that had lots of twelves in it according to a calendar which didn't exist yet to do anything that wasn't mysterious and unknown.

Another cool and mysterious thing is how we have prehistoric people doing what is essentially the prehistoric equivalent of spray-painting your name on the bathroom wall, and thousands of years later we point and call it proof that aliens were here, because ancient people are mysterious and know things.

My family and I lived in a home in Freeport, Illinois (United States of America) when I was sixteen. While there, my brother accidentally put a hole in the wall at the end of a hallway by running into it. We had to get a new block of wall to put in the hole. So we did, but before Dad put it in place, we all drew some stuff on the interior side of the block. I drew a stick figure shooting lightning out of his hands with the caption "Absolute power corrupts absolutely, but it also kicks absolute ass" underneath it.

It's comforting to know that in six thousand years or so, when the English language is no longer used and almost unrecognizable, a group of people will believe that aliens have already been to earth. Non-physical ghost-like energy beings who can possess people and control static electricity in the air.

All because I drew a stick figure shooting lightning out of his hands when I was sixteen.


"There is something going on in time and space, and beyond time and space, which, whether we like it or not, spells duty." -Winston Churchill

"For of all sad words of tongue or pen, The saddest are these: 'It might have been!'" -John Whittier

"Apathy is death." -Kreia

Last edited by TKA-001; 01-30-2010 at 05:06 PM.
TKA-001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-31-2010, 02:18 AM   #28
Scatter
Rookie
 
Scatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 51
<snipped>

pointing out someone's view is contradictory or hypocritical IS "adressing the message" ffs.

exhibit a:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan7 View Post
Just an observation here; It's funny how people's own opinions seem to be imprinted onto Aliens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan7 View Post
if any extra-terrestrial life forms have figuered out how to get from point a to point b in the universe; wiping out us, would be comparatively a piece of cake.
projecting much?

exhibit b:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan7 View Post
This to be franks seems foolish, you make a number of assumptions about how Aliens are going to be
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan7 View Post
I'm not really worried about it, but broadcasting signals into space, seems about as wise to me as running around in a pitch dark forest singing; sure there could be a nice furry animal who's friendly alternatively you may run into a grizzly...
assumption much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan7 View Post
The word to describe my position would be pragmatic.
no, it would be better described as any of blinkered; isolationist; negative, backward; or fearful.

mate, mankind didn't make the strides it did in the 20th century by being afraid. we took to the skies when the consequences could have been horrific (and still sometimes are), yet modern society would be vastly inferior if not the wright brothers at kittyhawk.

the meek shall not inherit the earth. well, not outside of bedtime stories anyway...

Last edited by jonathan7; 01-31-2010 at 08:33 AM. Reason: Questioning Moderation in thread is not allowed -- j7
Scatter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-31-2010, 04:54 AM   #29
Darth Avlectus
Your point?
 
Darth Avlectus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Attack on Titan
Posts: 4,254
Current Game: Soul Calibur 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommycat View Post
Well we do have some evidence that the great pyramids are the end of a series of trial and error to get it right. There are several pyramids that have collapsed and or had massive structure problems. Do we feel that aliens helped build the cathedrals in Europe? Sure there's around 3k years difference, but since progress is non-linear, and the pyramids are far less complex than the cathedrals of Europe, isn't it possible that they just happened to be built by people and designed by people?
It's possible. I am just not so sure it was done by people alone, furthermore I don't see that people necessarily means exclusively human--but this is getting ahead of ourselves. I was thinking more along the line of equipment and machines which may already be present in these structures but is not apparent b/c we don't know how to understand it.

Quote:
I think IF aliens saw us, they would be more interested in our planet's resources than in us.
Since I don't know if they were malicious or benevolent, I can't say with certainty what their motives would be. Though yes, resources are a consideration, I'd think they would still do it under secrecy and subtlety. Unless they are taking un-obvious resorces in ways we don't even comprehend, which is also a possibility.

Otherwise in order to do it blatantly and overtly, they'd have to be so domineering and overpowering in order to succeed. So unless it is through governments and corporations working together (ironically STILL another veil) I fail to see how they'd be doing it in this latter way.

Quote:
Well aside from maybe training us to be pets. I hear we can be housebroken pretty easily. And we are capable of quite a number of tricks. We'll make great pets.
Ah, the slave resource. Could be farming and growing a slave race.

Yes, relatively docile and easy to please. IIRC, Oswald or someone like that in 1962 at a conference on eugenics who had studied human behavior said something to the effect that "Humans can be made and conditioned to love their leaders and to enjoy conditions of filth, poverty, and servitude that by any decent standard of living, they ought not to."

So assuming malicious greed on their part, I would say for wanting resources that you are correct: WE are those resources.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth View Post
I had the same doubts concerning Burj Khalifa until I struck upon the golden rule of world-awing architecture: have lots of money, and lots of cheap (preferably free) labour. Does amazing things.
A trait that has survived to this day amongst architects and similar others, undoubtedly. It's just so reassuring to know that I am only slightly less expendable than slave labours in the eyes of today's equivalent to Egyptian god-kings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan7 View Post
The word to describe my position would be pragmatic.

Furthermore, I fail to see how I have been hypocritical; the only thing I think of Aliens (if they exist) is that they will be very different to us, I don't know if they would be friendly or not.





Doesn't mean it's a good idea
I doubt that it'd surprise you much that after Wardenclyffe, Tesla was looked upon as a madman, especially when he said he was attempting to contact the gods.

I thought he was supposed to be a devout christian.


"I cant see S***! --YOU GO TO HELL!" --Tourettes guy
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-31-2010, 07:00 AM   #30
Wookiee Rrudolf
Rookie
 
Wookiee Rrudolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Kashyyyk
Posts: 103
Current Game: Two Worlds
Quote:
Originally Posted by qui_gon_glenn View Post
I tend to see this on both sides of the fence.
A culture capable of incredible technology... has to be a result of incredible intelligence coupled with incredible cooperation... cooperative intelligence that is non-Borg must be somewhat friendly... friendly beings don't vaporize civilizations to rape raw materials...
Of course there may be highly advanced civilization with the society of ants Ants are very cooperative but not very friendly (but it's a Borg type of culture).
Yet this type of aliens would have any interest in our planet only if we had some type of resources they need. Otherwise they wouldn't care - why would they? If they wanted only resources it would be easier to mine it in their own star system. When materials would end and they come for more to us, they would take it from asteroid belt and other planets - we could do nothing about it and they wouldn't have to fight for some little remains on Earth with us and use they precious resources.
Only situation they would have any interest in human race would be the need for slaves.

Other cultures - pacifistic ones - could for example like our art or they would be interested in our philosophy or maybe in shearing some technology (hyperdrive in exchange for 50" FullHD TV Screen ). We shouldn't be worry about them.

What I fear is that there may be a alien culture that is similar to ours.


"And then it was a ship full of slaver scum against one Wookiee...
...What chance did they have?"
- Tvrrdko about Chewbacca
Wookiee Rrudolf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-31-2010, 09:17 AM   #31
jonathan7
Exiled Jedi...
 
jonathan7's Avatar
 
Status: Moderator
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ivory Tower
Posts: 3,676
Contest winner - Modding LFN Staff Member Veteran Modder Helpful! 
I'll respond to people who are wishing to have a discussion first

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediRevan1
if you check out this website, library.thinkquest.org/04oct/00451/cavedrawings.htm, it has several very interesting cave drawings that depict extraterrestrials in helmets
Personally, I don't think that is proof. Given the extravagance of ancient Egyptian head masks I don't see how helmets qualifies as proof of extra terrestrials. Beyond that, I didn't see any links to the images in the link you provided so I can't really comment further

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookiee Rrudolf
What I fear is that there may be a alien culture that is similar to ours.
This is a very interesting statement, is this out of a fear we would be very similar, or that the negative traits present in humanity would also be present in any Alien species?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA
I doubt that it'd surprise you much that after Wardenclyffe, Tesla was looked upon as a madman, especially when he said he was attempting to contact the gods.
Not really I'm far more interested in the rules Isaac Asimov made for governing contact between species of alien origin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA
I thought he was supposed to be a devout christian.
I'm not quite sure what Extra-Terrestrial life and Christianity have to do with each other, i.e. the Bible never really comments on if life exists elsewhere (despite the comments of some).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatter View Post
pointing out someone's view is contradictory or hypocritical IS "adressing the message" ffs.
Not for a start if you dont present any evidence, you just called my argument names. Furthermore most Kavars regulars know each other and know how the others think. Now note; no-one else thinks my position is hypocritical, further more it's clear from your "evidence" you really don't understand the way I think; though you seem far more intent on trying to make a strawman out of me, in any case.

Then for the apparent evidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatter View Post
exhibit a:

projecting much?
How is this projecting anything? At no point do I state that if an intelligent extra-terrestrial life form had the technology to get from a to b and had the ability to wipe us out that they would (so to be clear as day for you, I'm not saying Aliens would wipe us out, or enslave us, or be our friends; that is not knowable with the present data). However it would seem to me the old saying "caution is the greater part of valour" with regards the concern of the whole planet is correct. (And yes I know various signals have been going up for a considerable time, however that doesn't mean it is a wise move).

The only person projecting anything is you, and wanting to project it on to me. Presumably because anyone in opposition to your opinion is "blinkered; isolationist; negative, backward; or fearful."

Of course Aristotle so long ago had something right;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aristotle
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
Qui-Gon Glenn, came in with a balanced post, further more there are several separate discussions within this. Nor is it that I don't see the benefits of doing such, though usually our advances have been haphazard, so I think that broadcasting into space is more likely to provide better telecommunications on earth as a bi-product.

One is that I do think it is arrogant on the behalf of some scientists, considering they have the right to send signals into space. Much as I think it highly arrogant (and more over in the following case evil) that Nazi scientists thought they had the right to experiment on other humans. Back on topic sending signals into space could potentially be of great benefit, or bring about great harm. It is also unlike most things that have gone before, with regards discovery. However if their is intelligent life out there, they themselves seem to have adopted a wait and see strategy as to if there is other life in the cosmos.

Of the very small amount of data we do have in this equation seemingly earth is a very rare thing; and with nothing known about a possible alien civilisations out there, sending out signals about our existence, I cannot see as good. However lets use sci-fi as an exampe; Perhaps the aliens will be like Vulcans, then great. But also on the other hand, what happens if circumstance has force any aliens into an Independence Day style existence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatter View Post
exhibit b:


assumption much?
Did you even read what I wrote there? I further fail to see how I have assumed anything of aliens, they could be friendly or they could be hostile. That isn't something that can be ascertained at this current time; without data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatter View Post
no, it would be better described as any of blinkered; isolationist; negative, backward; or fearful.
Oh look, more of the uncivilized name calling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatter View Post
we took to the skies when the consequences could have been horrific (and still sometimes are), yet modern society would be vastly inferior if not the wright brothers at kittyhawk.
I fail to see how thinking broadcasting signals into space being a bad idea equates to being a Luddite. I would not have protested, about the Wright brothers, the quest for absolute zero, or computing advances (Churchill ordering the destruction of the computers at Bletchely park set us back a few years, and was a great shame).

Of course your whole argument seems to involve construction strawmen, using ad-hominems and putting words into the mouths of others. While simultaneously bringing down what was a previously civil discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatter View Post
the meek shall not inherit the earth. well, not outside of bedtime stories anyway...
Oh look, another un-necessary affront to anyone who thinks differently to you... Well done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatter View Post
mate, mankind didn't make the strides it did in the 20th century by being afraid.
What did the 20th Century really bring? Mans ability to be uncivilised to fellow man and industrial killing on a scale not previously known would seem to be the "highlights" of the 20th Century.

Yes, I'm sure all the Jews who died in the Holocaust are absolutely delighted at the advances medical science made due to their torture. For example; all we know of decompression sickness and it's effects are due to the Nazi's putting concentration camp victims in early decompression chambers, noting the effects of greater and greater (and less and less) pressures until they were dead. Seemingly Mengele had discovered how to manipulate Genes, 40 years before anyone else, given the amount of Ayrayan children in the village he helped woman through pregnancy...



"Love is the only reality and it is not a mere sentiment. It is the ultimate truth that lies at the heart of creation." - Rabindranath Tagore

"Many a doctrine is like a window pane. We see truth through it but it divides us from truth." - Kahlil Gibran

Last edited by jonathan7; 01-31-2010 at 10:04 AM. Reason: Fixed Quote BB Code
jonathan7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-31-2010, 12:56 PM   #32
Wookiee Rrudolf
Rookie
 
Wookiee Rrudolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Kashyyyk
Posts: 103
Current Game: Two Worlds
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan7 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookiee Rrudolf View Post
What I fear is that there may be a alien culture that is similar to ours.
This is a very interesting statement, is this out of a fear we would be very similar, or that the negative traits present in humanity would also be present in any Alien species?
Based on our history humans always conquered, enslaved and destroyed different 'weaker' civilizations. There were never a situation when discovery of a new culture did something good to both cultures (when they had different level of development). It's always been conquer (military or cultural). Earthlings are very xenophobic and non-tolerant to other points of view.
I fear that meeting a culture that is similar to ours would cause a war and in the end wiping out human race (since we would be the ones 'weaker' or 'less civilized'). On the other hand we could survive as a species but extinct as a culture. We would be assimilated by the aliens and probably become some sort of lower class citizens.
Add to this our sci-fi films and games with tons of 'evil aliens' to kill ('-Greetings beings of Earth. I come in peace from planet X. Lets have some fun. What do you do for fun? -We kill aliens!' ). And even if they were friendly they wouldn't be any more after our welcome full of aggression, accusations and doubt of their intentions.


"And then it was a ship full of slaver scum against one Wookiee...
...What chance did they have?"
- Tvrrdko about Chewbacca
Wookiee Rrudolf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-01-2010, 07:22 AM   #33
Ztalker
Saving the world casually
 
Ztalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Normandy SR-2
Posts: 2,780
Forum Veteran 
The problem here is, all opinions here are fuelled by what we see or hear. Aka; the movies, internet, games and all.
There's no problem with that, but maybe we should look more abstract.

Maybe aliens will live in 4 dimensions at once? Or they excist out of gas? Maybe they're 1 atom big? In all honesty, maybe 'other' life is far, far, far more different then we expect, simply because it's not imaginable for us.

Thus, I believe, when the time comes we will find out and adapt. And like Wookiee Rrudolf said; probably do something bad when we have adapted.

Ztalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-01-2010, 08:49 AM   #34
Wookiee Rrudolf
Rookie
 
Wookiee Rrudolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Kashyyyk
Posts: 103
Current Game: Two Worlds
@Ztalker
You are right. Aliens may be completely different then anything we can imagine. But do you think we could meet this type of aliens? Even if we saw an alien like that we probably wouldn't recognize it as a living creature not to mention communicating with it. So we could make first contact and not be aware of it.
That's why I think we have chance to have any kind of interaction only with aliens somehow similar to us (be it a flying squid or a talking stone - but something we could recognize).


"And then it was a ship full of slaver scum against one Wookiee...
...What chance did they have?"
- Tvrrdko about Chewbacca
Wookiee Rrudolf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-01-2010, 11:48 AM   #35
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月
 
Sabretooth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookiee Rrudolf View Post
Even if we saw an alien like that we probably wouldn't recognize it as a living creature
Since we have a general definition of what life is, and how something may be classified as a living being, I'm quite sure that we'll recognise a living, extraterrestrial creature if we see one.


Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-01-2010, 02:06 PM   #36
Wookiee Rrudolf
Rookie
 
Wookiee Rrudolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Kashyyyk
Posts: 103
Current Game: Two Worlds
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth View Post
Since we have a general definition of what life is, and how something may be classified as a living being, I'm quite sure that we'll recognise a living, extraterrestrial creature if we see one.
Indeed? Are you really sure that we have a universal definition of life? I wouldn't say so...
Can you tell me if viruses are alive?
One say they are alive because they reproduce. Other say they're not because they need other cells to reproduce for them.
One say they feed on a host. Other say viruses don't have metabolism.
So are they alive or not? We can't really say. We don't have a definition of life that would interchangeably classify viruses. So how would we recognise alien life since we can't say if something is alive on Earth?

PS. Viruses have many common attributes with inorganic crystals. Are crystals alive?


"And then it was a ship full of slaver scum against one Wookiee...
...What chance did they have?"
- Tvrrdko about Chewbacca
Wookiee Rrudolf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-01-2010, 02:39 PM   #37
machievelli
Local curmudgeon
 
machievelli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Las Vegas Nevada
Posts: 2,820
Current Game: Dungeonseige series
Hot Topic Starter Veteran Fan Fic Author Helpful! Forum Veteran 
A friend of mine runs a board game company in Mississippi. Back in '76 I helped him for three weeks, handling orders as he worked on an air to air war game. One of the perks I got was a cartoon series of Star Trek and other Sci Fi shows of that time with sarcastic commentary.

In one, the science officer reports that they have just recieved a message asking if there is intelligent life out there. The captain replied; 'They're joking, right?'

While technology whether mechanical or biomechanical can take you from place to place, it does not endow the creator with human emotions. The Nazi Death camps prove that. If they have emotions, we would have to discover them.

I don't remember the name of the story, but it began with an attack on a colony on one of Jupiter's moons. The enemy waited until our fleet arrived, then retreated, but did so by dropping in the atmosphere of that planet. Somewhere we cannot go.

As the 'war', fought with electronic devises able to transmit human senses into machines on the planet is being waged, a psychologist suggests that the enemy had merely been testing us. Not to see how good we are at war, but to try to elicit emotions they could recognize because only then could they hope to communicate. The Shrink along with one soldier gas the entire home base, so the enemy would detect nothing, then waited for the enemy to show an emotion; in this case regret.

After that, now they can at least try to communicate.


'To argue with those who have renounced the use and authority of reason is as futile as to administer medicine to the dead.' Now who said that?

From the one who brought you;
What we die for...
Acceptance
KOTOR excerpts
Star Wars: The Beginning
Star Wars: Republic Dawn
Return From Exile
machievelli is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-01-2010, 04:43 PM   #38
Ztalker
Saving the world casually
 
Ztalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Normandy SR-2
Posts: 2,780
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by machievelli View Post
*Snip*
After that, now they can at least try to communicate.
Exactly my point we are talking about communicating with something that could have an entirely different outlook on life and communication.

The aliens would feel the same though. would be pretty exciting for them too!

Ztalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-01-2010, 05:11 PM   #39
Web Rider
Senior Member
 
Web Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: here
Posts: 1,768
I always disliked the assumption that because aliens have made it into space they are therefore one unified people and all peaceful and therefore smart enough to avoid us. Galactically speaking, Earth and our solar system is located in nowheresville, we're on the edge of the edge of an arm. Even if we are shouting at the top of our lungs, we're not even close enough to anything for it to be anything short of forever before someone hears us and we get a reply back.

I doubt aliens are ignoring us, though I likewise doubt aliens are actively visiting us. We're just out in the middle of the woods where nobody goes a lot, and if a tree shouts in the middle of the woods, does anyone care?

I suspect for the most part, assuming that reality is largely as we perceive it, that most aliens are in the same situation we are. They're somewhat developed, advanced, or underdeveloped comparatively to us to some degree, and they're mostly shouting into space hoping for a response too. And that's only my suspicions for life in this galaxy, to even dream of visiting another solar-system, much less one on the opposite side of the galaxy, is a heck of a different idea than visiting another solar system on the other side of another galaxy.


"So if you go to Washington, it's buildings clean and nice. Bring a pack of matches...and we'll burn the White House twice!"

"Nobody's talking about extermination. No one ever does. They just do it." - Magneto

"Don't solicit for your sister, that's not nice, unless you get a good percentage of her price."
Web Rider is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-01-2010, 07:54 PM   #40
machievelli
Local curmudgeon
 
machievelli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Las Vegas Nevada
Posts: 2,820
Current Game: Dungeonseige series
Hot Topic Starter Veteran Fan Fic Author Helpful! Forum Veteran 
The best alien invasion book I read was Von Neuman's war. Primarily because being machines, the invaders dealt with us as merely something blocking them from what they wished to take. Attributing emotins or attitudes is a sure way to fail. As much as the liberals believe 'oh they'd be peaceful because truly evolved peoples are' why should an alien race care what we think if they decide to collect all the dachsunds on the planet? The most recent version of the Day the Earth Stood still showed such an attitude. I just with their version of Klaatu had told us what they intended before dropping the hammer on us.


'To argue with those who have renounced the use and authority of reason is as futile as to administer medicine to the dead.' Now who said that?

From the one who brought you;
What we die for...
Acceptance
KOTOR excerpts
Star Wars: The Beginning
Star Wars: Republic Dawn
Return From Exile
machievelli is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Kavar's Corner > Contacting Aliens

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:13 AM.

LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.